Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 22, 2014, 07:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658305 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: sleep, that's where i'm a viking  (Read 72359 times)
Wally

« Reply #100 on: Jun 04, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »

Quote from: "FreddyKnuckles"
yeah, greg's still right

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
jebreject

« Reply #101 on: Jun 04, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »

Are y'all just some seriously lateral-thinking motherfuckers or what?  I actually refuse to believe that anyone actually agrees with Greg so much as they like his theory and WANT it to be true.  Which it clearly isn't, because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  And the argument that Ralph probably doesn't know what a Viking actually is seems pretty silly to me, even taking his potential learning disabilities into account.  I think Hh is right, and the operative word in Ralph's statement is clearly "where."  Ralph is not smart enough to understand what sleep actually is, and thus thinks it's a place.

I in fact think that this entire thread is a conspiracy on the parts of Greg, Crystal, and Freddy to confuse and bewilder the rest of the board.  I mean, I know y'all like to think outside the bun and all, but this is ridiculous.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #102 on: Jun 04, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »

What I'm saying is that siding with Greg on this one is nothing but wishful thinking.

edison

« Reply #103 on: Jun 04, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »

Jeb is OTM here, people.
Nick Ink

« Reply #104 on: Jun 04, 2007, 11:17:17 AM »

I've only gist-read all this, but I think Ralph just dreams about being a Viking, and the incongruity of his awkward, feeble physicality with this burly, heroic alterego is the nub of the intended jocularity.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #105 on: Jun 04, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »

Honestly, Greg's explanation was the only one I ever considered. I never took it to mean anything other than that, and never imagined that it really could many anything other than that. It seems like if the intention was to refer to some recurring fantasy of Ralph's wherein he is a viking, it would have been expounded upon further, mayhap through a short dream sequence or some other reference--you know how the Simpsons writers love running gags. But no: it was a throwaway line intended only to demonstrate that Ralph Wiggum is good for little more beyond sleeping. He is good at sleeping. This explanation makes loads more sense to me because the alternative is just a non sequitur that's never referenced again.

think 'on the road.'
edison

« Reply #106 on: Jun 04, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »

Quote from: "elpollodiablo"
a non sequitur that's never referenced again.

There are tons of those in the Simpsons, though.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #107 on: Jun 04, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »

That one seems especially incongruous to me, tho. Usually with something that strange, they'll come back to it (ala the leprechaun). This isn't Family Guy we're talking about.

This show's good, I mean.

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #108 on: Jun 04, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »

It seems like if the intention was to refer to some recurring fantasy of Ralph's wherein he is a viking, it would have been expounded upon further, mayhap through a short dream sequence or some other reference--you know how the Simpsons writers love running gags.

I'd say this'd happen if Ralph were Homer, in which case we'd be treated to a thought bubble with Homer dressed as Bugs Bunny as Brunnhilde; often we'll get a peek into Homer's thoughts in such a way. With Ralph, this has never been the case. We've never seen Mittens. We've never seen him as a principal or a caterpillar, which is apparently what he wants to be when he grows up.

The only other way something like this would happen would be if this had been uttered within the past four seasons, which would have been a result of Family Guy influence. Lately, it's true, The Simpsons has indulged in such throwaway visual gags, but not  so much prior to the arrival and cult success of Family Guy. So much of the best Simpsons jokes derive from verbal humor (although I will always laugh at what happens to Maggie's eyes when she has a taste of coffee ice cream).
Nick Ink

« Reply #109 on: Jun 04, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »

Quote from: "hannah"
So much of the best Simpsons jokes derive from verbal humor

This link is great - thanks ~!

EDIT :

Springfield Up (2007)

Derivational verbal morphology, compounds, accidental homophony

Narrator: At age 16, Marge was the star photographer for her school newspaper. But her interests soon expanded beyond shutterbuggery.

Laughing [/quote]

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
marinatina

« Reply #110 on: Jun 04, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »

Okay, seriously dudes, Ralph is happy that he gets to take a nap because when he goes to sleep, he has dreams about being a Viking. Come on! How does Viking=being a champion at something? I'm sorry to say this, because Greg Nog is a cool dude and totally should hang out with me before I move away from New York at the end of the summer, but he is so wrong and Jeb and everyone else who agrees with Jeb is so right.
dumbfish

« Reply #111 on: Jun 04, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »

We can all agree Ralph is a simple man, of simple tastes, yes?  So the simplest expanation is most likely.  

Given that his attempt at simile comes out literal (My cat's breath...), we conclude that, even if he had the concept of metaphor, the attempt would come out literal as well.  And the most literal interpretation is that sleep is where he is literally a Nordic pillager.  

Note that this doesn't require that he have an understanding of the nature of dreams.  We know it's a recurring dream, but he needn't, and likely doesn't.  From Ralph's perspective, dreams are when he closes his eyes and he becomes a Viking.  The beauty is that it fits with our image of the boy: simple, literal, stupid.  

As such, if Ralph were headed in the Nog-direction, saying "Viking" would require a burst of creativity we know to be beyond his means.  Rather, he'd simply say he was "really good at stuff," "the Champion," or "Captain Sleepy."

I'll kiss the first person who comes up with the Latin for, "I sleep, therefore I pillage," so Ralph can take his rightful place alongside Descartes and Spinoza.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
edison

« Reply #112 on: Jun 04, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »

This is probably a stupid question, but I just thought - has anyone checked the commentary track on the DVD for any insight on this? I mean, it's probably unlikely that they would comment on that particular line, but still, you never know.
plainenglish

« Reply #113 on: Jun 04, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
I know they are wrong, however, because Ralph Wiggum is Ralph Wiggum and Ralph Wiggum DOESN'T KNOW WHAT DREAMING IS.

Anyway, I'll e-mail the AV Club tomorrow. If nothing else, the posts in the comments section will be hilariously annoying.

The AV Club knows nothing of this, you're wasting your time.

Please point me to the point in the text where it is established that Ralph does not know what dreaming is.

Please point me to the point anywhere where it is proven that Ralph understood the pun inherent in "Choo choo chose..." etc.  

I maintain that he read the words "choo choo" and was pleased to see a train.  There is no proof that he understood the double entendre at all.

AT ALL.

"If you don't want to have a good time, the door is... everywhere!" -- shirtless campfire guy, ZOOP!
alex

« Reply #114 on: Jun 04, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »

Quote from: "dumbfish"

I'll kiss the first person who comes up with the Latin for, "I sleep, therefore I pillage," so Ralph can take his rightful place alongside Descartes and Spinoza.

I propose:

Dormio ergo diripio

And now someone who actually knows some Latin will step up and correct me, no doubt.
El_Josharino

« Reply #115 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »

Guys, I'm pretty sure that Freddy is right.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
mriley

« Reply #116 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:24:48 PM »

This whole debate has been awesome.  

FWIW, I fall into the Ralph is a Viking in his dreams school of thought.  I think Greg's interpretation is great though and I plan to be a Viking in everything I do in life.

Also, Ralph is the Best.  Example - Upon seeing Principle Skinner and Superintendent Chalmers, Ralph Says:
  "Hi Principle Skinner! Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers!".
C of heartbreak

« Reply #117 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »

Haha, that is probably my favorite Ralph quote ever.

Still on Greg's side for the record.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #118 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/extra/blralphpoem.htm

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #119 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »

It seems like if the intention was to refer to some recurring fantasy of Ralph's wherein he is a viking, it would have been expounded upon further, mayhap through a short dream sequence or some other reference--you know how the Simpsons writers love running gags.

I'd say this'd happen if Ralph were Homer, in which case we'd be treated to a thought bubble with Homer dressed as Bugs Bunny as Brunnhilde; often we'll get a peek into Homer's thoughts in such a way. With Ralph, this has never been the case. We've never seen Mittens. We've never seen him as a principal or a caterpillar, which is apparently what he wants to be when he grows up.

The only other way something like this would happen would be if this had been uttered within the past four seasons, which would have been a result of Family Guy influence. Lately, it's true, The Simpsons has indulged in such throwaway visual gags, but not  so much prior to the arrival and cult success of Family Guy. So much of the best Simpsons jokes derive from verbal humor (although I will always laugh at what happens to Maggie's eyes when she has a taste of coffee ice cream).

What about the leprechaun, tho?

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #120 on: Jun 04, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »

What about the leprechaun, tho?

The leprechaun comes two years later in an episode about Ralph?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
KimJuno

« Reply #121 on: Jun 07, 2007, 11:21:06 PM »

Ok, 1).  I missed you guys, I love you guys, and this is very much the best thread ever.  Ever.  E-V-E-R.

2).  But how in the hell did this become one of the few threads to have made it so far without becoming horribly, horribly derailed?  I'm very surprised that not a single soul has yet mentioned Freddy's genitalia.

I'm pretty certain that the latter notice says something absolutely crucial about our  mindsets and our particular sets of priorities.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2007, 11:33:58 PM by KimJuno » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #122 on: Jun 07, 2007, 11:44:42 PM »

OH BOY
A SIMPSONS ARGUMENT
THAT'S WHERE I'M A VIKING

think 'on the road.'
edison

« Reply #123 on: Jun 08, 2007, 03:00:52 AM »

So, I did some elementary research on the DVD while the board was down, and I am absolutely appalled to report that if the foreign translations are anything to go by, Mr. Nog and other "lateral-thinking motherfuckers" may be right.

French = "Dormir, c'est là que je suis le plus fort" ("Sleep, that's where I'm the best!")
Dutch = "Slapen, daar ben ik goed in" (I don't know any dutch, but I'm guessing that's "Sleep, now that's something I'm good at")
Portuguese = "Ena, pa, dormir! E nisso que sou um Viking" (any Portuguese-speaking people around? I'd have to ask my ladyfriend, but she's not around. Sounds like it's just the literal, equally ambiguous translation anyway)

This said, I'd like to point out that translators can be serious lateral-thinking motherfuckers, too. I should know: I'm one (a translator, that is). The case is therefore NOT closed.
jebreject

« Reply #124 on: Jun 08, 2007, 03:19:19 AM »

David Cohen to thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: sleep, that's where i'm a viking
Jump to: