Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 39 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: We Were Talking About Going Clubbing But Instead We Just Started Drinking  (Read 25786 times)
dieblucasdie

« on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »

New Booze Thread!

Not to derail all the lovely talk of bourbon (my second love), but here are this month's selections from my (increasing wack) Beer-of-the-Month Club.

From Farmington River Brewing Company (which is supposedly in CT, but the bottles say it's made by that same damn Mercury Brewing Company in Western MA that they sent me beers from last month)

Farmington River Blonde Ale
Farmington River Brown

From Boone Brewing Company (none of the materials says where they are located other than "The Blue Ridge Mountains)

Blowing Rock High Country Ale
Blowing Rock Bock

They are pretty disgusting, the Farmington River stuff moreso.  A really nondescript, overly sour blonde ale and another goddamn maple-syrup-and-a-shot-of-SoCo brown.  The Blowing Rock stuff is just super middle-of-the-road.  There's nothing wrong with it, but there's SO many better Ales, and SO many better Bocks.  Gah.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Maaik

« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

God I want some bourbon.

I need anne the man lessons
lastclearchance

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »

From Farmington River Brewing Company (which is supposedly in CT, but the bottles say it's made by that same damn Mercury Brewing Company in Western MA that they sent me beers from last month)

Yeah supposedly a microbrewery in Bloomfield! How have I not heard of this place?

They are pretty disgusting, the Farmington River stuff moreso.  A really nondescript, overly sour blonde ale and another goddamn maple-syrup-and-a-shot-of-SoCo brown. 

Ah, maybe that's why.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Greg Nog

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »

I like how "Blowing Rock" sounds like a parody of a microbrewery name.

I had Dogfish Head last night!  I have a hangover today!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »

God I want some bourbon.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »

I like how "Blowing Rock" sounds like a parody of a microbrewery name.

From what I can piece together from the bottle label, there appears to be some sort of Rock/Mountain/Hill in the Blue Ridge Mountains that is shaped like a face with it's lips pursed, and so on a cloudy day appears to be blowing.

Blowing HARD.

dumbfish

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

Blowing Rock is a tourist destination near Boone, NC (where App St. is). Agreed that it's middle of the road, as reflected in the fact that I didn't include that brewery on my list of NC beers, + or -.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »

It's an NC beer?  The label reps for PA.

dumbfish

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

Well, that would be a coincidence, then.
Boone Brewing's website

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »

I like it even less now that I know they have a website requiring that silverlight silliness. 

Greg Nog

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »

I like it even less now that I know they have a website requiring that silverlight silliness. 

HOLY SHIT THAT IS FUCKING INFURIATING

Jesus, it's like web-developers knew I was slowly becoming inured to the horrors of Flash, and decided to step it up a notch.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure it exists solely to keep people from using Chrome.

C of heartbreak

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »

I think actually google has developed an ingenious technology to filter out awful websites.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
G.C.R

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »

Ow my head
fuck
my fucking head
etc etc

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
davy

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »

So I went to see The Gourds last night. By myself. But I was excited, because I'd been looking forward to it for a while and they always put on a fine show. I thought to myself, I'm going to treat myself, get me a good seat, have me a good time, and drink me a quality beer.

But when I got there, a police officer in the parking lot told me that parking for The Gourds was around back. Well, okay, whatever. I drove around back but the lot was full. I thought, well then, I'll just parallel park on the street. But the only street with parking spaces was bumper-to-bumper. Grrrr. Started to get pissed. Ended up driving a half-mile or so back into downtown proper to see if I could find a space. Found a car pulling out of a parallel spot, and tried to snag it, but couldn't fit the damn Jeep into it. I was frustrated, now, envisioning all these folks taking my good seats. Eventually I gave up and paid for a spot in the parking deck, which was several blocks away from the venue. I ran all the way there discovered there was some sort of frat-formal dinner event taking place--buncha tools in suits, etc--and they even had the front door to the venue blocked with flowers and shit. Had to use the side entrance.

Finally make my way to the bar, having secured a decent seat in the balcony. I'd been fantasizing about drinking Duvel--it'd been a while. So I tell the bartender what I want and she goes over to the cooler to look for one. Finds it, uncaps it, and hands it to me and says "Eight dollars."

WHAT THE FUCK? Some of you New Yorkers may be used to drinking eight dollar beers but I can assure you that I am not. I had to pay for it; she'd already opened it. But boy it stung. I'd estimated $6, max. I mean, I know it's not a Miller Lite. Shit. It was pretty good, I guess, but I could've used a glass. Duvel's not something you drink from the damn bottle. Grrrr.

A solid hour of frustration can sure exhaust a fellow.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »

Were the Gourds at least good?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

Yep, as ever, but I'm getting tired of going to shows by myself.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »

Dude eight bucks for a Duvel at a show is pretty good. I've paid that much for a watery domestic at corporate venues.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »

I think the worst I've had on that score was last year in Vegas.  I ordered a High Life can.  $14.

Thermofusion

« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »

$14 for the champagne? To paraphrase the Simpsons, that crosses the line from everyday villainy to cartoonish supervillainy

Cost of two draft Budweisers at a Charlotte Bobcats game in January = $16.

They condescended to include tax in the price, at least.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »

I think the worst I've had on that score was last year in Vegas.  I ordered a High Life can.  $14.

HA.

The only time I've ever been to Vegas, I drank for free the entire weekend. You were just doing it wrong.

Ok, I'll quit complaining. It's just--well, I'd never paid that much for a single beverage, of any kind. So it was kind of a shock, regardless. Also, it wasn't a big corporate venue by any stretch. Just another Athens club.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »

haha well, it was at a like, 6-hour burlesque show, so, captive audience + no gamlbing = they can charge anything they want.  I've never nursed a can of beer so forlornly in my life.

Greg Nog

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »

I just got a bottle of 160-proof vodka the other day, which is peachy for smuggling very small amounts that you can then dilute in something non-alcoholic and cheaper.
donblood
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

I think at 80% ABV it stops being vodka and starts being a propellant.
coldforge

« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »

Dear friends,

I was talking to Lucy today briefly and she pointed out to me that one LPTJ tradition that has begun to slide into decrepitude is that nobody drunk posts anymore. Used to be it was fine and proper for a man to open a bottle of whisky, sit down at his computer and post the night through. We need to reinfuse the lifesblood of this place with alcohol.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: We Were Talking About Going Clubbing But Instead We Just Started Drinking
Jump to: