Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 04:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: What you want with a cackling hen? - New NP thread  (Read 48486 times)
fishjim

« Reply #250 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »

Got Mule Variations on right now. I'm only at track 3, "Hold On", and Tom's up to his old tricks. And I'm still a sucker. "God bless your pretty little heart" - why does that still kill me? I feel like he's put something in my drink.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Good Intentions

« Reply #251 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »

I'm hearing Mastodon's Remission for the first time after picking it up for a song this morning record-shopping. It's great! Lively, aggressive, but with perfect control and a good deal of variation. I can tell why people were so excited about them when this album came out, and it shows off the chops and sensibilities which shortly thereafter lead to Leviathan.

Where did it all go so wrong for them?
fishjim

« Reply #252 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »

"The House Where Nobody Lives"

Oh gawwwwwddd I'm bawling here

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #253 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

Guys I'm crushing pretty hard on nick cave over here this morning.
np: from her to eternity. I always feel like "cabin fever" is him and the band doing James Brown. for some reason.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
davy

« Reply #254 on: Mar 26, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »

I'm hearing Mastodon's Remission for the first time after picking it up for a song this morning record-shopping. It's great! Lively, aggressive, but with perfect control and a good deal of variation. I can tell why people were so excited about them when this album came out, and it shows off the chops and sensibilities which shortly thereafter lead to Leviathan.

Where did it all go so wrong for them?

When the prog took over. Same thing that happened to Opeth.

That said, I thought The Hunter was pretty rad and I'm optimistic about the future.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #255 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

new meshuggah is fun

Javan

« Reply #256 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »

So! This Aesthethica album's pretty good huh?

/behind the times
Nick Ink

« Reply #257 on: Mar 29, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

I have every Throwing Muses and Kristin Hersh album (except Strings, annoyingly only on vinyl) cued up on on shuffle. It's pretty fun. So far, I've had:

Soap & Water / Solar Dip / Ether / Call Me (Season Sessions) / Speed and Sleep / Stained / Walking In The Dark / 37 Hours / Gut Pageant / Reel / Portia / I'm Alive / Sunray Venus (demo) / Take / Furious

Meanwhile, Kristin, Bernard and Dave have managed to scrape the funds to record again and are now mixing new Throwing Muses material in New Orleans. It won't be out til this time next year, but according to Billy, Kristin's manager and husband, it will be "at least a double".

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #258 on: Mar 30, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »

Sorry to clog this thread up so much, but holy crap this is good:

Daphne Oram - The Oram Tapes Vol.1

It really is a wonderful release. I got the 4XLP version and it's quickly become a go-to selection when I'm reading or just doin' stuff around the house. Every now and again my ears will prick up and I'll stand/sit there thinking "this is fucking great - what an amazing woman".
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2012, 11:16:47 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Nick Ink

« Reply #259 on: Mar 30, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

Sorry to clog this thread up so much, but holy crap this is good:

Daphne Oram - The Oram Tapes Vol.1

It really is a wonderful release. I got the 4XLP version and it's quickly become a go-to selection when I'm reading or just doin' stuff around the house. Every now and again my ears will prick up and I'll stand/sit there thinking "this is fucking great - what an amazing woman".

I'm taking the girls up to the Natural History and Science museums in London tomorrow, and I intend to return with a photo of me next to the original Oramics machine:

Oramics Machine (without me)

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #260 on: Mar 31, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »

Named after its creator Daphne Oram, this early sequencer uses a set of 10 ganged 35mm film loops running over photo-electric cells to produce sound. Tones were produced by hand painting forms to control frequency, duration, amplitude, timbre, etc.

The whole idea still seems revolutionary.

np:

Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Nick Ink

« Reply #261 on: Mar 31, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

and I intend to return with a photo of me next to the original Oramics machine:

fishjim

« Reply #262 on: Mar 31, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

There is a sexiness about that photo I can't describe.

Nick Ink

« Reply #263 on: Mar 31, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

I'm glad you notice that jim, as beneath that calm exterior I think it's fair to say I was a seething mass of sexual excitement.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #264 on: Mar 31, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »

Pete Seeger all night

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #265 on: Apr 01, 2012, 03:08:38 AM »

I'm not sure I can articulate it, but I think I can point to the spot on the picture from which it originates

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #266 on: Apr 02, 2012, 01:25:05 AM »

Enjoyed one of my biannual listenings to The Crow soundtrack this weekend, and this time, one of the standouts was the Medicine track toward the end. Over the years, I've sought out many, many records by bands I first heard on that soundtrack, but never them. Not sure why. This album is brilliant.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 01:26:51 AM by davy » Logged

davy

« Reply #267 on: Apr 03, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

Along that same line*, I guess, I've been digging God Lives Underwater a surprising amount lately.

Mostly this one:

I've always been a big fan of this track: Can't Come Down

*that line being, vaguely, bands that were and bands that could've been on The Crow soundtrack.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 04:00:40 PM by davy » Logged

edison

« Reply #268 on: Apr 04, 2012, 03:12:57 AM »

Steffen Basho-Junghans In The Morning Twilight

Looking forward to Sunday even more now!
mixed cats

« Reply #269 on: Apr 04, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

Along that same line*, I guess, I've been digging God Lives Underwater a surprising amount lately.

Mostly this one:

I've always been a big fan of this track: Can't Come Down

*that line being, vaguely, bands that were and bands that could've been on The Crow soundtrack.
The best part about this album is how "Rearrange" shakes the rearview mirror in my car so hard that it falls out of position.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #270 on: Apr 05, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

I'm always surprised at how little this has dated considering it was approx 18 years ago that I first got it.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #271 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

Couple of things I've listened to tonight that are maybe worth comment.

Claro Intelecto - Second Blood ep.
Nick Ink tip. Apparently somewhat of a mentor to Andy Stott. You can certainly hear it in the first track. Similar kick sound and a shared fondness for a creeping bpm.  I'll be getting on the upcoming album on release. Recommended listen. Thanks to Mr Ink.

SND/NHK split 12"
PAN records continue to rule my world with more broken techno. It's minimal without coming across as "Minimal" if that makes sense. NHK's "Fu2" in particular is doing it for me. Records like this and the fact Editions Mego have started a sub-label (Sensate Focus) to release abstract techno/house records suggest there is something really interesting going on right now.

If things carry on like they are expect Tim Hecker to make a record with beats before the end of the year (Jetone return?).
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2012, 11:46:59 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

Nick Ink

« Reply #272 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »

Claro Intelecto - Second Blood ep.
Glad you like this. The album has leaked and is sounding pretty excellent to my ears.

SND/NHK split 12"
PAN records continue to rule my world with more broken techno. It's minimal without coming across as "Minimal" if that makes sense. NHK's "Fu2" in particular is doing it for me. Records like this and the fact Editions Mego have started a sub-label (Sensate Focus) to release abstract techno/house records suggest there is something really interesting going on right now.
Yeah, Fu2 does funny things to my ears, and I also really like Hydra. Parts of that EP are almost into Black Dice territory though - I like it, but overall the NHK'Koyxeи album has had a bigger effect on me and seems more coherent, a more distinctive sound maybe. Anyway, it's all mightily good stuff.

edit: just to add, KDSB, did you get onto that Dalglish album last year? Because I thought that was another recent example of beats going in an exciting new direction.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2012, 11:49:09 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

fishjim

« Reply #273 on: Apr 07, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »

Thanks to HH's recent FB post about robots, I've been playing this all weekend.

Kev Russell's Junker - Buttermilk and Rifles

Also stumbled on a secrete historie of "(Somebody Bring Me A Flower) I'm A Robot" -

The Gourds frontman, who also goes by the nom du solo act Shinyribs, has three kids: 12-year-old Guthrie, 10-year-old Lilly and 4-year-old Harlan. He's even been known to write music with his kids. "I wrote one of my songs with my oldest son when he was a little guy," Russell says. We're talking, of course, about the epic "(Somebody Bring Me a Flower) I'm a Robot" off Russell's 2002 solo album "Buttermilk and Rifles."

"One day when he was about 2 or 3 years old, we were playing with Legos; he'd built robots with the Legos," Russell says. "Some of the Legos had flowers on them and he suddenly said, `Somebody bring me a flower, I'm a robot.'" Russell quite rightly thought that was a heck of a song title, so he asked his kid to finish the lyrics. "I asked him what he wanted to say line by line, and it's a pretty hilarious song. He's 12 now and will occasionally ask me for royalties."

http://www.austin360.com/music/in-the-key-of-dad-757537.html?printArticle=y
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2012, 12:28:39 AM by fishjim » Logged

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #274 on: Apr 08, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »

edit: just to add, KDSB, did you get onto that Dalglish album last year? Because I thought that was another recent example of beats going in an exciting new direction.

I'd not heard it but I just got the mp3 from Boomkat due to your suggestion. I've only listened to the first couple of tracks. It's pretty damn good. It kinds reminds me of Pantha Du Prince but less comfortable, more skewed and odd. Thanks. It sounds like something I'll like a lot.

I agree that the NHK'Koyxeи record is far superior to the NHK side of that split. It's easily my most played album of the last month or so. I'm playing it now. It's a wonderful record.

For others interested - NHK'Koyxeи - 568 491 from Dance Classics Vol. 1
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2012, 08:08:49 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What you want with a cackling hen? - New NP thread
Jump to: