Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658016 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: the continuing story of the 2008 political election  (Read 82103 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #225 on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »

So Mitt really was nuts. Makes me wonder what nuttiness is lurking under the surface for everyone else still in the race.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Antero

« Reply #226 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:31:44 AM »

So Mitt really was nuts. Makes me wonder what nuttiness is lurking under the surface for everyone else still in the race.
Under the surface?

McCain: "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb BombIran."

Huckabee: "Not dinosaurs.  Jesus horses."

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
dieblucasdie

« Reply #227 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

Ron Paul:  I AM THE LIZARD KING!!!!

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
diesel_powered

« Reply #228 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »

I love the fact that just when I'm beginning to think I'm nuts, the world turns around and shows me that it really is everyone else.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Antero

« Reply #229 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »

Ron Paul:  I AM THE LIZARD KING!!!!
I figured I didn't even need to make a joke about him.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #230 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »

i keep forgetting he's still in the race.

meanwhile, i find it sort of weird that the media are mostly writing off mike huckabee. dude won 5 states on super tuesday. one guy on countdown tonight mentioned that the conservative backlash to mccain is still out there, and may rear its head by giving some upcoming state primary to another candidate even at a point when mccain is the presumptive nominee. in fact, dude mentioned virginia by name. hah, that would greatly amuse me. i wonder who my dad is planning to vote for.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
El_Josharino

« Reply #231 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:21:53 AM »

I went to see Obama speak here today, and I think I'm sold on him. The auditorium was packed and everyone was way enthusiastic. It was really encouraging. He's very personable and inspiring and diplomatic. I actually feel like I can vote for him and be voting for him instead of voting against someone else. Which is nice.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
slow west vultures

« Reply #232 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:31:29 PM »

i keep forgetting he's still in the race.

meanwhile, i find it sort of weird that the media are mostly writing off mike huckabee. dude won 5 states on super tuesday. one guy on countdown tonight mentioned that the conservative backlash to mccain is still out there, and may rear its head by giving some upcoming state primary to another candidate even at a point when mccain is the presumptive nominee. in fact, dude mentioned virginia by name. hah, that would greatly amuse me. i wonder who my dad is planning to vote for.

i wonder if it was a slight joke on nbc's editorial staff last night that when they showed a clip of mike huckabee talking about how he was still in the race, the one microphone that was featured prominently was from the tyra banks show. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
slow west vultures

« Reply #233 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

calendars are $1 at borders right now, and i was walking by them the one for Countdown to Victory: Rudy Giuliani in 2009 caught my eye.  i seriously considered buying it as an ironic historical artifact.  they probably did them for every candidate, i guess the mitt romney ones have already been bought out and hoarded.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #234 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

i wonder if it was a slight joke on nbc's editorial staff last night that when they showed a clip of mike huckabee talking about how he was still in the race, the one microphone that was featured prominently was from the tyra banks show. 

no, he was appearing on the tyra banks show. he was on his way into the taping when that interview was shot.

slow west vultures

« Reply #235 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »

interesting.  i wonder what the campaign angle was behind appearing on the tyra banks show.  did his political strategists think he wasn't crossing over enough in the 12-24 year old female demographic? 

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #236 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »

both hillary clinton and john edwards have already done it this year, so it's become a potential campaign appearance for anyone, i guess.

Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #237 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

Wow

Welcome to America

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
guanajuato

« Reply #238 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

interesting.  i wonder what the campaign angle was behind appearing on the tyra banks show.  did his political strategists think he wasn't crossing over enough in the 12-24 year old female demographic? 

i'm sold

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #239 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

I totally called McCain/Romney before anyone else.  Just remember that.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #240 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

No way, dude.  McCain hates Romney.  It'll be Huckabee or one of his Senate buddies.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #241 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Senate buddies maybe

Romney fo sho.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #242 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »

Yeah ticketing up with Romney seems like a good way to drive off both of their would-be supporters; the middle of the road indies on McCain's side and the evil fascist nutjobs on Mitt's

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #243 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »

McCain legitimately HATES Mitt Romney.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
andronicus

« Reply #244 on: Feb 09, 2008, 02:15:18 PM »

the evil fascist nutjobs
Trust me man, the Mormons aren't going anywhere.

What?!  I'm allowed to say it, some of my best friends are Mormon!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #245 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »

romney had a wider appeal than that. the evil fascist nutjobs, in my mind, refers to the limbaugh-loving wing of the republican party, all of whom HATE mccain.

and by the way, obama and clinton both spoke here in richmond today, but it was a hundred bucks to get in. obama's speaking in va beach tomorrow for free, but i'd have to pay for gas to get there, and plus i'm working anyway. oh well.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #246 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »

To be fair I was thinking of Coulter, Limbaugh et al when I typed that. And they all do despise McCain, you're right.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #247 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:45:46 PM »

Every Mormon I've known has been incredibly intelligent, sweet, friendly, even docile.

I've NEVER been able to reconcile this with Romney, who isn't so much evil as he seems the antithesis of every positive characteristic I associate with the Mormon people.

I really don't believe Romney had wide appeal, at all.  His camp WAS the Limbaugh crowd.  That and old ladies diddling themselves over how "handsome" and "Presidential-looking" he was.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2008, 06:58:46 PM by Thermofusion » Logged

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #248 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »

Thermo OTM

Except Mormons are crazy. If you can buy that shit, Scientology shouldn't seem that far out

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #249 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

I don't know about intelligent, but it's true every Mormon I've met with like two exceptions have been super nice friendly people.  My best friend in high school was from a Mormon family, and his family were super nice and even non-judgmental.  They bribed their kids into sitting still while they read the Book of Mormon with snack time. 

Ultimately though, Romney is just a Mormon who's made particularly good.  His brand of conformity is Mormon through and through, and I bet if you're rich and white, he's even liable to be a nice guy to you.  At heart he's the archetype of a bland technocrat, the sort of leader Mormons love because their society makes fascism as a social and political model obsolete because there is already a little Hitler goose-stepping in every heart.  He played up the IM FROTHING ABOUT ISLAMOFASCISM LOOK AT ME angle because his advisors told him that would be how he could tap into the crazy white people vote and beat back charges that he's a closet liberal.  His maneuver did not work and that is why Romney is not the Republican nominee.

And to Pollo, the only difference between Mormonism and the other mainstream monotheistic religions is that the others have the advantage of some degree of historical obscurity.  But let us be clear, they were all, Islam, Christianity, all of them, founded by the Late Antique variant of the dude standing on the corner muttering to himself about the government lasers probing his mind. 

edit: It occurs to me that this post may offend some.  Let me say to those people:

Fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: the continuing story of the 2008 political election
Jump to: