Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658302 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: the continuing story of the 2008 political election  (Read 95614 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #475 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »

here's an old story in the gray lady about mr obama's voting record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/us/politics/20obama.html

having read that, i feel like it says more about illinois state politics than it does about barack obama in particular.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
diesel_powered

« Reply #476 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »

Obama used to use coke. 

" plus, it more strongly identifies him as part of the younger generation, for whom drug experimentation is much more the rule than the exception.

also Wall Street could totally feel that, so he's bringing the business community closer to his side as well. 

Let's not forget the disco community.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
dieblucasdie

« Reply #477 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »

here's an old story in the gray lady about mr obama's voting record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/us/politics/20obama.html

having read that, i feel like it says more about illinois state politics than it does about barack obama in particular.

Yeah, pretty much.  We have a legislature that's at odds with our governor, even though both are Democratically controlled.  It often happens that state senators who aren't part of Senate President Emil Jones' ruling inner circle (like Obama) were/are caught in the middle of a legislative pissing contest between Jones and/or Lisa Madigan and the governor.  Honestly, I'd be suspicious of any state senator *without* a bunch of "present" votes.  There are many, many times in the Illinois State Senate where either a "yea" or "nay" vote will dirty you.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 07:36:09 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #478 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

John McCain: shot by both sides

it's so weird to me that, compared to the republicans, the democratic party race seems like a model of stability this time around. i know i talk about this a lot, but i just can't get over it. it's so weird.

But Obama was not the only thorn in the Arizona Senator's side preventing him from fully celebrating his victory. Mike Huckabee, who has staked his mathematically slim chances for the nomination on a miracle, made a surprisingly strong showing in Virginia, a state where polls late last week showed McCain with a 2-to-1 lead. McCain won the state by nearly 10 points, but the exit polls carved his problems in clear relief. McCain lost self-identified "conservatives" to Huckabee by a margin of 25% to 51%. He lost "talk radio listeners" by a margin of 38% to 48%. He lost evangelicals, who can make up as much of a third of the Republican vote in a general election, by a margin of 28% to 61%.  And while none of this should mean that Huckabee will be able to prevent him from getting the nomination, it does mean that McCain will have to continue to work harder to prove his conservative credentials to the skeptical wing of the party, especially in a big, crucial state like Texas, which holds its delegate-rich contest on March 4.

between this and the talk that obama's taking away a lot of mccain's independent voters, things don't look good for him.

sweet.

jebreject

« Reply #479 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »

Man, I had the extreme pleasure of catching one of HC's campaign ads today. It was basically "Hillary Clinton says that she would gladly participate in a debate before the Wisconsin primaries. Senator Obama has not yet given his answer. It seems he would rather GIVE SPEECHES than ANSWER QUESTIONS."

Meanwhile every Obama ad I've seen so far has been relatively pleasant and free of attacks.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #480 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:02:30 PM »

It's a lot easier to take a righteous position when there's a campaign running; where was his righteousness on all the Iraq war votes

Um, okay, but you do realize how Hillary feels about the war, right?

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #481 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »

Man, I had the extreme pleasure of catching one of HC's campaign ads today. It was basically "Hillary Clinton says that she would gladly participate in a debate before the Wisconsin primaries. Senator Obama has not yet given his answer. It seems he would rather GIVE SPEECHES than ANSWER QUESTIONS."

Meanwhile every Obama ad I've seen so far has been relatively pleasant and free of attacks.

you know, i'm not all that sure that hillary would even do that well in a debate against obama. i seem to remember him quite holding his own in all the previous ones. hell, i'd say edwards won most of them. never seemed to help him much. [ Sad ]

elpollodiablo

« Reply #482 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »

It's a lot easier to take a righteous position when there's a campaign running; where was his righteousness on all the Iraq war votes

Um, okay, but you do realize how Hillary feels about the war, right?

Yeah, she's definitely been toein' the party line. That's what they do.

think 'on the road.'
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #483 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »

"According to Chuck Todd, the political director at NBC, for Clinton to regain her lead will require her to win more than 55 percent of the delegates up for grabs in the nineteen states that still remain to vote, which means carrying the states where she has a shot with roughly 60 percent of the vote."

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #484 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »

Some more specificity from the Big O

This bit:

Mr. Obama seemed to allude to the criticism of his rivals who suggest that he excels at rhetoric, but falls short on details, by saying at the outset of his remarks that he was going to “take it down a notch” by giving a speech that he said would be “a little more detailed, a little longer, with not as many applause lines.”

stuck in my craw because a few certain people flew off the handle when I suggested that the Big O's been a bit vague in his campaign, and there he is as much as copping to it.

Also it's easy to beat on HC for her vote authorizing the war when you weren't in that position yourself. I think a savvy motherfucker like Obama would've done the same thing, had he been in the Senate then.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 11:26:21 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #485 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »

This bit:

Mr. Obama seemed to allude to the criticism of his rivals who suggest that he excels at rhetoric, but falls short on details, by saying at the outset of his remarks that he was going to “take it down a notch” by giving a speech that he said would be “a little more detailed, a little longer, with not as many applause lines.”

stuck in my craw because a few certain people flew off the handle when I suggested that the Big O's been a bit vague in his campaign, and there he is as much as copping to it.

Also it's easy to beat on HC for her vote authorizing the war when you weren't in that position yourself. I think a savvy motherfucker like Obama would've done the same thing, had he been in the Senate then.

Miles, the difference is you were saying "No matter how hard I look, I can't find a policy position."

and not "Obama, when giving a speech, rarely mentions specific policies."

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #486 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »

This bit:

Miles, the difference is you were saying "No matter how hard I look, I can't find a policy position."

and not "Obama, when giving a speech, rarely mentions specific policies."

That's not at all what I was saying. BUT. In the interest of not turning this thread into a pointless and self-involved argument, I'll leave it at that.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #487 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

If you spent half as much time actually defending Clinton as you do complaining about being persecuted, we probably wouldn't have this problem.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #488 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »

Yeah, you know, you're right.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 12:19:01 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #489 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »

i like this part:

“I’ve paid for every element of this economic agenda,” said Mr. Obama, who said the money would come from costs associated with the Iraq war and from eliminating tax breaks for corporations.

The nation’s economic woes stemmed from failures of government, he said.

“We are not standing on the brink of recession due to forces beyond our control,” Mr. Obama said. “The fallout from the housing crisis that’s cost jobs and wiped out savings was not an inevitable part of the business cycle; it was a failure of leadership and imagination in Washington.”

and this:

The Republican National Committee released what it called an “Obama Spend-O-Meter,” designed to calculate the cost of the programs he has proposed. “Barack Obama may package his economic plans with poetic rhetoric, but it’s fundamentally still the same old tax-and-spend liberal dogma,” said Alex Conant, a committee spokesman.

made me laugh. bitch all you want, republicans, at least obama's trying to pay for the spending he plans to do! the only difference between the republicans and the democrats where tax-and-spend is concerned, at this point, is that the republicans don't want to tax. they still want to SPEND, though, which is why our national debt is higher right now than it's ever been.

also, some higher taxes on the rich and corporations is just what this country needs right now, if you ask me.

jebreject

« Reply #490 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »

lol @ "cockhole"

DCDave

« Reply #491 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »

Just as an FYI, re: Obama and Texas.

In 2004, 900,000 people voted in the Texas Democratic Primary.

There are over 2.6 million African Americans living in Texas. 

The state is 33% Hispanic, but many of those voters are unregistered.

If anyone tells you the percentage of Hispanics in the state Democratic party, ignore them.  Voters in Texas don't register for a party.   They have open primaries. 

Aaanyway.

P.S., Latinos went for Obama by 6 points in VA and 5 in MD. 

Black President, y'all.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 02:47:39 PM by DCDave » Logged

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #492 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

Woot!

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #493 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

i think we all need to give thanks for david palmer. he made all of this possible.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Good Intentions

« Reply #494 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »

Seen today when I glanced at the 'World' section of the newspaper:

"Credit Card Bill of Rights"

Fucking whatever. I imagine an amendment to credit laws just isn't enough hope and change.

Of course there is a lot of good in offering some regulation of credit card companies, but is it necessary to dress it up as the fucking Magna Carta?
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 07:45:45 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #495 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »

are you that bothered at the name he gave it, that you'll shit all over him for putting forth the sort of ideas that have been desperately needed where credit cards are concerned for over a decade now? i can't get behind that, gi. the credit card bill of rights looks pretty fucking awesome to me, especially this part:

Prohibit “Universal Defaults”: “Universal defaults” are a practice in which a credit card company raises an individual’s interest rate based on failure to pay a different creditor on time. Barack Obama will prohibit this practice.

i lost a couple thousand dollars to that practice back in the late 90s. i like the idea that he would make it illegal.

in other news, mitt romney endorses mccain.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #496 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

That would be hilarious if McCain were all like "No thanks"

Or just "No"

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #497 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:38:01 PM »

can someone briefly explain the differences between hillary's healthcare plan and obama's?

when she says that his will leave 15 million uninsured and hers won't, is she blowing smoke or not?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #498 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

She is planning on forcing people to enroll, whereas his would be voluntary.  She hasn't ruled out payroll garnishment as an enforcement option.  Or so I understand.  Somebody more well versed in this stuff will probably step up.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #499 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »

jim's right. hillary and barack will both make a health care plan currently available to government employees available to the general public, and will change a variety of things about health care laws in this country (including making it illegal to refuse coverage because of a pre-existing condition). the difference is that hillary will make it illegal not to sign up for the health care program. barack obama has said that he feels that it's wrong to punish people for not being able to afford health care, so he hopes that the industry will be reformed enough that everyone will eventually be able to afford it. hillary calls this "a failure to insure every citizen in this country", which is pure double talk on her part.

and by the way, she's losing superdelegates.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: the continuing story of the 2008 political election
Jump to: