Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: I bought some new new records and/or compact disks. tell me I'm cool.  (Read 39021 times)
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »

They were having this comic/record show in this Radisson hotel around block.  Not much that caught me eye, but I'm trying to limit myself anyway.

Kreator -Endless Pain LP
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2008, 03:47:33 PM by WhereTheSlimeLive » Logged

Puddle Pants
novaheat

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

They're having a record convention at the Hilton downtown today. I kind of wanted to go, but then I remembered that it's basically one big rip-off re: prices.

"Uh, dude. Why are you selling this still shrink-wrapped Metallica CD for $75??"
"It's super rare. Way out of print."
"You sure about that? I mean, it looks like you just bought this at Best Buy this morning and marked it up."
"I told you. It's out of print. Really rare shit, man."
"Dude, it still has the Best Buy price tag on it!"
"RARE. OUT OF PRINT. COLLECTOR'S ITEM."

I jest, of course. But only slightly. A couple years ago I went, and I found some James Brown vinyl in the "$3 each" bin, along with a couple of other things. I went to buy them, and he looked at the James Brown and went "Oh, that one is $25." "But dude, it was in your $3 bin with all of these others." "Accidental. $25 for that one."

Not that I'm bitter Smile
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »

Vinyl in the mail

The Spits - 2006 European Tour

Choiceness.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
slow west vultures

« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »

Cerberus Shoal came back as Fire on Fire and they're pretty decent. They seem to be getting a bunch of buzz lately. Whoo, Maine represent!

(from the last albums purchased thread)

ha, weird.  i've been downloading pitchforks new music mp3s every day and one of them was a fire on fire song i really liked.  i only realized it now when i went back and read the original post on pitchfork.  maybe i'll have to pick up that cerebus shoal album from the library discard.  except those jerks raised their prices to $2.00 a cd.  and when i went back the last time that current 93 cd was gone, along with a couple of others i was looking at.  looks like i got some competition in the obscure cd accumulation sweepstakes.   

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
davy

« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

THE GREAT OUTDOORS a scant sixty-three

i've been corresponding with adam nation of the great outdoors recently, and i created a profile for them over at www.rateyourmusic.com. when i told him this, he was so grateful he mailed me this cd (food, booze & entertainment's out-of-print predecessor, another chapbook-style release) and a sweet t-shirt.

awesome dude.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »

That's awesome, Davy. You'll have to let me know what you think of that album. I was thinking about buying it, but the only downloadable track they have on their site from it doesn't sound that good.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
davy

« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »

That's awesome, Davy. You'll have to let me know what you think of that album. I was thinking about buying it, but the only downloadable track they have on their site from it doesn't sound that good.

to be honest, it's not nearly as good as FBE. kinda feels a little like a blitzen trapper record...pretty disjointed and strange. seems like it's part-live and part-studio. it'll take a couple more listens to figure out. i'm just glad to have it...gives me a chance to have the full set of 3 book/CDs once they release the next one.

Bubbachups

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »

Cerberus Shoal came back as Fire on Fire and they're pretty decent. They seem to be getting a bunch of buzz lately. Whoo, Maine represent!

(from the last albums purchased thread)

ha, weird.  i've been downloading pitchforks new music mp3s every day and one of them was a fire on fire song i really liked.  i only realized it now when i went back and read the original post on pitchfork.  maybe i'll have to pick up that cerebus shoal album from the library discard.  except those jerks raised their prices to $2.00 a cd.  and when i went back the last time that current 93 cd was gone, along with a couple of others i was looking at.  looks like i got some competition in the obscure cd accumulation sweepstakes.   
That Fire on Fire EP is really good. Micah Blue Smaldone also accompanies the Cerberus Shoal member in this band. Looking forward to their debut full length.

The related Big Blood CDRs (available through the North East Indie website) are also very much recommended.
Bubbachups

« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »

Victrola Favorites: Artifacts from Bygone Days (2cd + 144-page book)

From the same label that released the great Fonotone box in 2005.

Also “won” a vinyl copy of “Down Colorful Hill” by Red House Painters on eBay which of course is totally awesome.
davy

« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

From the same label that released the great Fonotone box in 2005.

i badly want everything dust-to-digital releases, even if i know deep down that none of it will get listened to very often.

so far they're 1-1 with me. i got the fonotone box, and it's great, of course. but i was really disappointed with the sacred harp compilation...just wasn't what i expected. not really their fault.

i'd love to have the string bass anthology.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2008, 01:43:02 PM by davy » Logged

girl

« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »

Look what came early from Beggars!

The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride (vinyl)

I also ordered a vinyl another copy of Get Lonely, because they had it on vinyl. The Heretic Pride vinyl also came with a code for a digital download.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 08:17:35 PM by girl » Logged

this is a story and you're not in it
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:55:10 AM »

I'm soooo hoping that's at my house when i go home this weekend.

Puddle Pants
edison

« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:32:04 AM »

Oh man, damn you Americans who were able to preorder Heretic Pride! Hoping to get my copy in Paris on Monday.

Random bargain bin purchase the other day : a CD by Northeastern Brazilian guitarist Nonato Luiz entitled Terra. As it turns out, it's pretty excellent.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:45:22 AM »

Victrola Favorites: Artifacts from Bygone Days (2cd + 144-page book)

This is very high on my list of urgent acquisitions.  (Possibly going to be a belated christmas gift- I should check).

Last night, at a show:

Nils Økland - Bris.
Hardanger fiddle, harmonium, percussion and double bass.  Wow.

And:

Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh - Where the one eyed man is king.

He's a young Irish guy who plays the Norwegian hardanger fiddle (like Nils above- COR was last night's support)- one of the few people who seems to be doing something genuinely new with Irish trad, without slipping into the dreaded fusion realm.  Celtic rock?  A million miles away.  One of the reviews on CD Baby said: artists who experiment with blending traditional irish music with contemporary musical genres seem to usually tend toward a combo of trad with bad rock or simplified jazz.  this is entirely different. irish music has provided the inspiration here for thoughtful and whimsical art music with a sort of young indie-rock type aesthetic that is very, very cool, ... to me anyway.  Seems about right.

Also, first two purchases of the year?  I'm losing my touch.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
alistarr*

« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »

well it was boomkat winter sale time and i hadn't bought anything and i was feeling mighty pleased with myself but today i crumbled under the weight of ridiculous prices, and bought vinyl copies of two albums i already have:

i'm not a gun - our lives on wednesdays (£3.50)

i'm not a gun - we think as instruments (£3.95)

(had to post large-ish pictures i'm afraid, on account of their both being so pretty). and i also got this, on vinyl partly just so they could fit everything in the same sized box in the post (this is how my mind works), though it turned out the shipping didn't end up costing any less anyway:

the remote viewer - let your heart draw a line (£1.95)

really looking forward to all of these; it's been a while since i bought any boring soft music like that (read: anything released by city centre offices).

other purchases have been boring so i won't bore you.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »

to be honest, it's not nearly as good as FBE. kinda feels a little like a blitzen trapper record...pretty disjointed and strange. seems like it's part-live and part-studio. it'll take a couple more listens to figure out. i'm just glad to have it...gives me a chance to have the full set of 3 book/CDs once they release the next one.

Hmmm. Thanks. I kinda suspected that would be the case, but in any case I'm looking forward to the 4 EPs they've got planned for 2008 as well as the third in the cook series.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
jebreject

« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »

The inserts for the Boris records are fucking gorgeous, so I'm glad I actually bought these instead of just relying on the shitty mp3 copies I've had.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »

40% off at borders!

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2008, 02:10:53 AM »

ON FUCKING VINYL!!
Paid a fair chunk for it via an internet auction. But I'm still insanely happy about this.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
jebreject

« Reply #44 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

came today. Apparently I'd forgotten that I'd pre-ordered it from 4AD. Pleasant surprise!

andronicus

« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »

Honestly that font choice is just all kind of sick.
jebreject

« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »

Don't want to give too much away but on the inside cover it's the same font, only there are FLAMES

jebreject

« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »

PS "Lovecraft in Brooklyn" rips tits off chests.

WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »

WOOOHOOO I just got home and saw Heretic Pride waiting for me.

Puddle Pants
SPACERACE

« Reply #49 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:23:55 PM »

the impulse reissue of the latter. too cool for school.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: I bought some new new records and/or compact disks. tell me I'm cool.
Jump to: