Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01, 2014, 09:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 54 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Dodd/Kucinich 08': Election Blu-Galoo  (Read 80592 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #250 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »

hah, dude, like everyone who's ever run for public office wrote every word of their speeches until NOW. obama got a line from his campaign co-chairman and personal friend--big deal.

when, after he said all that, she went after him again and brought up the youtube videos, the crowd BOOED her. she hit an applause line 30 seconds later and it got faint applause at best. she pissed EVERYBODY off with that one.

shit, the show's back on. more later.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
guanajuato

« Reply #251 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »

the fangs are coming out! about universal health care!
big hill did that finger shake! "this is too important!

i hate when they bring up fake people. "a mom came to me and wants health care for her daughter". i realize that this is a way to use details to make an argument, but i want names! "mary carter from florida came to me and asked for health cov for her daughter. she was real pretty." etc.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
jebreject

« Reply #252 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »

the plagiarism charge is fucking silly. that's not plagiarism.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #253 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

SHE'S HINTING THAT SHE'S GONNA CRY AGAIN! OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL! SHE EVEN STARTED WITH THE SAME NEW HAMPSHIRE LINE ABOUT "PEOPLE ASK ME HOW YOU DO IT" SHIT! OH MY FUCKING GOD I'M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW!

Thermofusion

« Reply #254 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »

She milked the fuck out of it at the end there, didn't she?

She'll definitely win Texas now.

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #255 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »

yeah, no, i don't know about that. but i can see why you said it. however, i feel like at this point she can't go back to that well without fear of too many people having the same reaction i did, of "oh come on, not THIS again!?!?" i don't know that she'll pull many people who weren't gonna vote for her already with that gambit.

that said, this is optimism on my part. i know full well that you don't count out a clinton.

on the other hand, she also got some pretty serious boos with the plagiarism bit. as always, our hillary has high negatives. you can't really say that about barack tonight, i don't think. he KILLED IT during the bit about his accomplishments.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #256 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »

another thing i gotta bring up: i was just on yahoo checking my email and saw the ap article about the debate, headlined "Clinton: Obama 'change you can Xerox'. what the fuck is the ap's problem? the ONLY THING SAID THE WHOLE NIGHT that drew booing from the crowd is their fucking HEADLINE? obama's right: this is not what people want to see; people want discussions of issues and policies. however, i don't think the media is quite in step with that yet. or at least, some of them aren't.

Thermofusion

« Reply #257 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »

I agree, but then again that "Change we can Xerox" joke was so epicly lame and ill-advised that it probably deserves the over-the-top media scrutiny it's going to be getting in the next 24 hours. 

$100 says Bill came up with that line; he kinda has the requisite dopey sense of humor.

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #258 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Dude wtf stop with this "She won NH because she cried" bullshit, you're smarter than that

think 'on the road.'
girl

« Reply #259 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »

Tell me if I should duck and run, but I liked the Xerox line.

this is a story and you're not in it
Thermofusion

« Reply #260 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »

"Change we can deceive in" would've been a better line.  At least there'd've been some rhymage.

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #261 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »

the reason it got booing is because it was obviously a canned line, and it was used in an attempt to chastize obama for using canned lines. a tactical misstep to say the least, and if anything it undermined her entire point.

also, pollo, that wasn't what i was saying about the emotion thing--what i was saying is that it seems like a canned riff to me at this point, and i can't imagine i'm the only one. i mean, one time she's getting emotional and starts into a certain line and gets choked up--ok. but i hear her getting choked up and using THE SAME LINE two months later? fuck that. it's pandering, if you ask me, and it pisses me off. i would hope you can see through it too.

and by the way, speaking of hillary using canned lines, here's some food for thought:

Several readers, and Obama's staff, heard an echo in Clinton's closing line, that the candidates on stage would be "fine."

Clinton Tonight:

You know, whatever happens, we're going to be fine. You know, we have strong support from our families and our friends. I just hope that we'll be able to say the same thing about the American people. And that's what this election should be about.

Edwards the December 13 debate:

?What's not at stake are any of us. All of us are going to be just fine no matter what happens in this election. But what's at stake is whether America is going to be fine.

Some borrowing is fairly normal. What's been striking about the two Obama moments is that they were almost verbatim. This one isn't that; but it's still pretty striking.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #262 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »

oh, and maybe i'm a shithead for linking to both slate and politico tonight, but i just want you guys to know i'm not crazy:

Neither candidate exactly answers the last question, “What moment tested you?”

Obama takes the opportunity to recite his entire biography.

Hillary, however, pivots in a way that evokes, of all things, her Diner Sob. Only this time, she sets herself up: “People often ask me, ‘How do you do it? How do you keep going?’ ” That’s the exact same question asked by Marianne Pernold Young at the Café Espresso in Portsmouth, New Hampshire on the eve of the primary. Clinton then goes into a colorful anecdote about a medical center filled with people injured in Iraq. She doesn’t exactly tear up, but it’s a deliberately emotional moment.

source

jebreject

« Reply #263 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:33:05 AM »

Camille Paglia on Hillary Clinton and the campaigning process

DCDave

« Reply #264 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »

So, having studied the impact of debates on the election process, they, in general, only matter if someone says something totally fucked up.  Most of the people who watch them are supporters for one candidate or another, few undecideds watch them, and they don't push people to the polls.  Texas is (still) going to be about momentum and GOTV.  Obama is still going to win it.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #265 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:55:41 AM »

Part of me wants HC to take the nom just so all the haters have to eat an epic amount of crow

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #266 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »

That's one of the stupidest things you've ever said.

hannah

« Reply #267 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »

the reason it got booing is because it was obviously a canned line, and it was used in an attempt to chastize obama for using canned lines. a tactical misstep to say the least, and if anything it undermined her entire point.

It'd be so awesome, though, if, like, Xerox paid her to say that.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #268 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »

That's one of the stupidest things you've ever said.

I'd say it's in direct competition with a few of the things said on this very page. The difference is, mine's true insofar as it's only expressive of like my gut reaction to the absolutely fucktarded amount of animosity shown toward HC here, on my campus, and in the media.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #269 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »

My animosity towards Hillary stems from the fact that her campaign strategy has gone from "presumption" to "nihilism."  "If I go down I'm taking you with me" is not a healthy attitude for a primary.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
El_Josharino

« Reply #270 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »

Obama won the Democrats Abroad primary which now puts him at 11 in a row.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #271 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »

btw, simply loved the end of the TX debate (just saw the recap). Especially the bit where Obama pulls out HC's chair.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #272 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »

btw, simply loved the end of the TX debate (just saw the recap). Especially the bit where Obama pulls out HC's chair.

...and fast-forward to today's headlines:

"Enough with the speeches and the big rallies... Shame on you, Barack Obama... Meet me in Ohio. Let's have a debate about your tactics and your behavior in this campaign."

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #273 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »

hah, and his behavior is: publishing campaign flyers with accurate representations of hillary clinton's views! shame indeed!

davy

« Reply #274 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »

i get an odd feeling of forboding, though. i feel like she's stumbled onto something that could hurt him in next week's debate. he did such a good job of turning all her attack ads back on her, but now he's released a couple of his own, and she's doing the exact same thing back to him. plus, newsday (the publication where the quote in question originated) agrees with her, and sort of convincingly chastises him.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Dodd/Kucinich 08': Election Blu-Galoo
Jump to: