*
*
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 24, 2014, 04:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657776 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been  (Read 32504 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
TeddyTreebark
Registered user

Posts: 83


« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »

That's littering, and it is morally wrong.  It also feels good.

I work a retail job at a store that caters to people who wish they lived in that mythical land of California.  The new hip thing is t-shirts that feature either a) spray paint cans or b) bullets.  Last Sunday these two girls, about 15-16 years old, came in with their boyfriends, about 25-26 years old, to buy shorts.  They grabbed a bunch of booty shorts and went to try them on, while their boyfriends walked around the store burping and talking about malt liquor.  The girls did not buy any shorts because they were "too long."  I don't think shorts get much shorter than the shit we sell.  I asked them "seriously?" and I got in trouble with my boss.  I hate my job. 
Logged
kadiekatRN
Registered user

Posts: 974


« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »

Okay, so I'm a nurse who recently switched from working nights to working days with some nights.  In the past two months, the night shift has had 6 people leave--one got married and moved, two transferred to other units, two got jobs in a clinic, and someone else just quit.  They were all pretty new, newer than me. 

Anyway, the unit manager was openly--at the nurse's station in the middle of the unit--complaining about this situation.  And, yes, it sucks, because that's about 1/3 or so of the people who work nights.  However, she then went on to say, "I can't believe it.  Of course, there are plenty of other people begging for this job." And (about one of them), "Oh, I hope I don't have to see her before she leaves." And, "Oh, Liz was hired under false pretenses."

Basically to multiple people, openly, for about 45 minutes, she was making personal, disparaging remarks about many of these staff members.  Also, she basically said that staff was so replaceable that she was thinking of stopping making concessions to them.

I think this is the least professional thing I can think of.  I happen to know the coworkers that she's talking about and have seen them in action.  Basically, she make no effort to reach out to the night shift people--when I worked nights, she never welcomed me (when I started), and in fact did not hear a word from her until about a month after I switched to days.  There are absolutely no efforts to retain staff.  There is no visible leadership at anytime, but especially at night. 

Personally, I think if six people leave within a span of six months, it's a system issue yes? 

I'm thinking of talking about this overheard interaction with a supervisor or something.  It really offended me.
Logged
Andrew_TSKS
Registered user

Posts: 39426


« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »

do it. people who pull those kinds of irrational power trips and mess with other people's livelihoods that way deserve to have it come back on them.
Logged

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
FreddyKnuckles
Registered user

Posts: 11705


« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »

yeah, in my experience, managers who talk shit about employees to other employees are bad news.
Logged

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo
Registered user

Posts: 32624


« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »

Cuz the man is blowin up they spot?
Logged

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo
Registered user

Posts: 32624


« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »

Yeah that motherfucker gets everything
Logged

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo
Registered user

Posts: 32624


« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »

Never talk about work again, Freddy
Logged

think 'on the road.'
Wally
Registered user

Posts: 9184


« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »

things sure would be hell of a lot easier if we had some black dudes up for boy fucking. The state of america, I tell ya, it's a messed up place.
Logged

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
jebreject
Registered user

Posts: 27071


« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »

what the fuck did i miss
Logged

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
sassymcassface
Registered user

Posts: 992


« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2008, 06:41:26 PM »

my new coworker literally received a congratulations for managing to go an entire dya without falling asleep at his desk.

what. the. fuck.
Logged

cake cake cake cake cake cake
girl
Registered user

Posts: 9144


« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »

what the fuck did i miss

Looks like FK deleted some drunk posts--from what I can recall, they were just a few details about the new job and a case, but he was probably right to delete them.

Otherwise I don't really belong in this thread. I like my job. Probably have another week of training in NY coming up in the near future. Fun!
Logged

this is a story and you're not in it
diesel_powered
Registered user

Posts: 19210


« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:02 AM »

Ugh. I just remembered I have work this morning. Fuck.
Logged

Quote
she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
diesel_powered
Registered user

Posts: 19210


« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

Aaaaaaand a few hours later, I'm here. Contact lenses felt like sandpaper this morning.
Logged

Quote
she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
andronicus
Registered user

Posts: 6515


« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »

Man, what I really want to do is go get my CDL this summer quit my job and become a CTA BUS DRIVER!
Logged
Andrew_TSKS
Registered user

Posts: 39426


« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »

my friend rob deicide parlayed his cdl into a several-year career in driving a garbage truck. it paid well but was hard on his knees, and he ended up having to quit it because of an acl injury. apparently there are companies where the drivers don't have to get out of the truck, and those are the ones to work for, but there aren't any around here.
Logged

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
dieblucasdie
Registered user

Posts: 24493


« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »

Man, what I really want to do is go get my CDL this summer quit my job and become a CTA BUS DRIVER!

haha, the other day I met this CTA bus driver who I swear was your soulmate.  He's like, 24 and uses his position to talk to "working people" in Chicago about socialism.  Apparently he even has a leadership position in the union.
Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Augo
Registered user

Posts: 1929


« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »

I can't remember the last time I had a Tuesday off.  I haven't had to smell propane, truckers from Wisconsin, or wet cardboard all day.  It is so nice!
Logged

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
andronicus
Registered user

Posts: 6515


« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »

Man, what I really want to do is go get my CDL this summer quit my job and become a CTA BUS DRIVER!

haha, the other day I met this CTA bus driver who I swear was your soulmate.  He's like, 24 and uses his position to talk to "working people" in Chicago about socialism.  Apparently he even has a leadership position in the union.
Haha so is he as pompous a d-bag as you're making him out to be?  Because if so, I think I love him already.

Seriously though.  starting pay for PT - close to $18/hr.  If I get to pick my schedule that is fucking doable.
Logged
dieblucasdie
Registered user

Posts: 24493


« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »

Actually he just came across as young and enthusiastic.  Mainly I was like, "a bus driver who speaks other than to mutter curses at bike riders? Wha?"  Still, though, pretty funny.  He had like, a stack of magazines (Economist, Harper's, Atlantic) a la Brother Mouzone next to him. 

He did tell me that the CTA is heavily unionized and literally 85% African-American, so I'm not sure what your chances of getting a job are, since I'm sure that other 15% is "Polish dudes with generations-long union connections."
Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Greg Nog
Registered user

Posts: 21629


« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

He did tell me that the CTA is heavily unionized and literally 85% African-American, so I'm not sure what your chances of getting a job are, since I'm sure that other 15% is "Polish dudes with generations-long union connections."

Don't be afraid, andronicus!  As a former white Skycap, I assure you that if you believe in your dreams, anything's possible!  You show those establishment fuddy-duddy drivers that white people can do all right for themselves!
Logged
andronicus
Registered user

Posts: 6515


« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

I have good luck with bus drivers I guess, most of the ones I've been around are nice, with one prominent exception.

As for the job, I mean, they're advertising the fact that they're hiring.  Just because it's unionized doesn't mean it's necessarily 100% some impenetrable miasma of corruption.  And being the token white dude may be a plus rather than a minus.  My biggest hurdle would be figuring out how to do the training to get a CDL on the cheap or something.

xpost w/Greg, who encourages me in all my hopes and dreams!
Logged
Andrew_TSKS
Registered user

Posts: 39426


« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »

yeah, rob went to one of those trucking schools where they place you with an over-the-road company that pays your bill slowly over the course of the first year you work there. then he lost his shit and only worked at the trucking company for a month because he couldn't stand the hellhole that over-the-road trucking apparently is. funnily enough, the trucking school never came after him for the remainder of his tuition, so he ended up getting a cdl for almost no money at all.
Logged

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
dieblucasdie
Registered user

Posts: 24493


« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »

Ah, yeah, it's probably not terribly competitive to get a job with CTA; it'd just be competitive to get good hours and get routes that won't make you want to go on a killing spree.  That dude was telling me he'd been there two years, and he's still just a bitch for the shop steward, ie, they put him on random routes as needed, give him tons of hours or no hours depending.
Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
YojimboMonkey
Registered user

Posts: 12034


« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

I have good luck with bus drivers I guess, most of the ones I've been around are nice, with one prominent exception.

CTA bus drivers have been uniformly polite to me when I've been a passenger on their bus, thanks in part to my customary friendly greeting when I board the bus and my customary "Thank you" when leaving the bus.

When I'm on my bike on the street, however, CTA drivers are my mortal enemies.  If you get that job and you end up driving the #11 route Richard, you just make sure you check your mirrors before lurching to the right for no reason.  YOU JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT
Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
andronicus
Registered user

Posts: 6515


« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »

Andrew that is awesome.  My uncle knows a guy, I'm thinking probably it is optimal to go and see what he can do for me in Indiana (since I don't even have an Illinois license) and then just transfer my CDL which should be a snap.  And a cheap fee, relative to the cost and hassle of getting trained at some shithole probably all the way out in Cicero.  It definitely wouldn't be a feasible job move if I had to come up with like $3g's out of pocket to get trained.

As far as hours, I would want the bitch hours anyway; early mornings/late nights.  My question would be about transportation and routes.  I don't want to have to haul ass all the way to the north side to drive a bus for 4 hours and then go all the way back home when the job I have is like 2 blocks away.  ~2 hours a day transportation is a shit ton of time when I have a bunch of reading/writing/studying (well, I could read at least, I guess) and classes as well (he posts, to an internet message board).

Based on what you're saying he said blucas, this is probably going to be the deal-breaker, as at my current job I can command as many or as few hours as I want, being the old retail salt that I am.

CTA bus drivers have been uniformly polite to me when I've been a passenger on their bus, thanks in part to my customary friendly greeting when I board the bus and my customary "Thank you" when leaving the bus.

When I'm on my bike on the street, however, CTA drivers are my mortal enemies.  If you get that job and you end up driving the #11 route Richard, you just make sure you check your mirrors before lurching to the right for no reason.  YOU JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT
My model bus driver is this Italian-looking dude who runs the #6 some days who is the most meticulous driver ever, loudly announcing every intersection, always asks passengers to watch their step, making vigorous use of his horn, extremely vigilant of pedestrians/bicyclists, etc.  But it's just the dandy-ish way he does it that is so cool to me.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Board layout based on the Oxygen design by Bloc