Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658012 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been  (Read 33630 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2008, 06:20:02 PM »

Well, you'd be sent to work at one of the garages (whether you apply specifically or are assigned I don't know).  Probably the closest to you would be the Archer garage or the 74th garage, depending which direction it's easier for you to go.

Some of the longer routes have driver-switch points though, so it's possible you could get out closer to home.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
andronicus

« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »

(whether you apply specifically or are assigned I don't know)
This is really the key question.  If I could get assigned fo sho to the Archer garage that would be pretty ok.  the 47 is fairly close and I could transfer on the #whatever at Archer.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

Dronicus, come on down here and I will teach you to drive a bus!

Really, getting a CDL is eeeeeeasy, and if your uncle can hook you up then all the better. But will CTA train you? A lot of places will hire people with just a permit.

And, driving PT is even eeeeeeeeeeeeasier, which unfortunately for you means there might not be any PT shifts available your first couple picks.

If it's like it is here, they should give you a free bus pass, which I'm not sure would help you but maybe.

Be a bus driver! $18/hr is a fucking killing, too.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
G.C.R

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »

Wow, you can really make that sorta money driving a bus? Here its something like 50 cents above minimum wage or some sheisse

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
C of heartbreak

« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

The drivers at the county where I work make like 2/3 of that. I'm not sure if they're in the same union as me--you'd think so because it's a county government workers union, but I know they're always bitching about their contract, whereas I have one of the most lucrative contracts a government worker can get. I imagine the CTA union is a fucking concrete wall, though.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »

Strong union?  In Chicago?  Surely you jest.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
andronicus

« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »

Dude it totally slipped my mind you were a dude of the bus persuasion.  Awesome I will get this job and we will make up the LPTJ Local 666.

And yeah, I know getting a CDL is not exactly rocket science, that's part of the attraction.  I like the menial aspect, my job has its menial parts but part of my job is knowing everything about everything and everyone relies on me like a fucking crutch.  And is bewildered/pissed when this strategy does not lead to stellar results.  So I want to quit.

As far as the job qualifications, actually I missed this, the job description says they want someone already with a Class B CDL or a 'permit' with 'KNOWLEDGE' 'PASSENGER' and 'AIR BRAKES' endorsements, but the dmv website says nothing about a CDL 'permit'.  Is this just basically where you flop down your money and do the knowledge portion of the license without doing the skills part?  I am probably going to call them up and see what the deal is.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »

What you do first is pay the fee and take the permit test. There's a general knowledge test, as well as tests for specific endorsements--you'll need passenger and air brakes. Then you get your permit, which is good for a limited amount of time while you get trained. The actual license test consists of a walk-around inspection (the hard part) and driving (the easy part).

The place where I work hires people without a permit on the condition that they have it by their official starting date. I'm not sure about CTA but you might call and see, or just send in an application and find out when they call you.

And yeah bus driving is great. All you do is sit on your ass for 8 hours and listen to the Pixies and think about that thread where GI was saying something about Kant.

Good Intentions

« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »

My favourite parts of my job are where I restock the walk-in fridges. It gives me a few hours of mild exercise during which I think about saying something in some thread concerning Kant.
jebreject

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:48 PM »

The favorite parts of my job are

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2008, 02:52:33 AM »

Dude it totally slipped my mind you were a dude of the bus persuasion.  Awesome I will get this job and we will make up the LPTJ Local 666.

the electrician's union in richmond is local 666. a friend of mine who played bass in a grindcore band was a member. he would sometimes play shows in his local 666 t-shirt, which had a huge tower with lightning bolts coming off of it on the back, under which it said in big letters "LOCAL 666". people always thought it was a joke, but nope, it's real. you can sometimes find shirts like that in local thrift stores.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
ellaguru

« Reply #186 on: Jun 04, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »

My job this week is to watch American Idol on YouTube. The sound is off and I only end up seeing three or four seconds of each performance before I'm on to the next one, but it's still pretty horrifying. I am sure that there are worse ways I could spend my time, but for the life of me I can't think of any right now.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #187 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

Me neither, for the record.

Are you undergoing a psychological study seeking to discover what turns an ordinary man into a murderer?

think 'on the road.'
ellaguru

« Reply #188 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

Well, that's not the official task, but I've been keeping meticulous LiveJournal notes in case things break that way.

Also, how hard is it to watch/record/post videos with the correct aspect ratio? I mean really.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
diesel_powered

« Reply #189 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »

It's super easy if you use Vimeo or any of the other infinitely better video hosting sites...

(Words cannot express how much I loathe the video quality on YouTube.)

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
C of heartbreak

« Reply #190 on: Jun 04, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »

Isn't complaining about the video quality on YouTube a little like complaining about the meat quality at McDonald's?

jebreject

« Reply #191 on: Jun 04, 2008, 05:11:23 PM »

i leave work early too much

i wish it weren't so easy

i wish i could like, get in trouble for it or something

i wish i had some discipline

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Anne the Man

« Reply #192 on: Jun 05, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »

You know what I hate is when I work on a public holiday--on study leave anyway so I don't mind that so much, but it SHOULD'VE resulted in me getting paid time and a half. So what happens when I check my balance? They've paid me about $10 less than usual. I want the money to buy a glorious top hat and it AIN'T THERE. Mad

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Good Intentions

« Reply #193 on: Jun 05, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »

Pay cycles again - pay for Monday will probably come in your next paycheck, not your current one.
Anne the Man

« Reply #194 on: Jun 05, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »

God Damn Job.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
C of heartbreak

« Reply #195 on: Jun 05, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »

Gah, if I'd passed the two tests I failed, I would be getting an $1800 bonus this month. As it stands I'm only getting $600. I was going to post this in the annoyed thread, but I figured people might throw things at me since it is not really something to be annoyed about.

skittixch

« Reply #196 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »

As far as my job goes...

I'm pretty content in the fact that I'm leaving (after tomorrow) to a place that's offering me just a little less money, but WAAAY more opportunities.  I'm enjoying my last few moments of solitude in the office, basking in the afterglow of a warm chipotle burrito.

things are good.
sassymcassface

« Reply #197 on: Jun 06, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »

i wish i had ninja skills, because i would so use them to disembowel my supervisor.  i really think he spends every day thinking of new ways to be a disrespectful asshole.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #198 on: Jun 06, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »

Pretty sure you could disembowel him with the skills of a butcher or a doctor or many other professions.  But with the skills of a ninja, when he's being a dick you could just throw down a little poof of smoke and disappear.  And then he'd be all, hey, where's sassymcassface?  And you'd be like clinging to the outside of the building with ninja claws and looking in the window and laughing at him. silently

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
sassymcassface

« Reply #199 on: Jun 06, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »

i just feel like i'd be more embarrassing for him if he got disemboweled by a little ninja girl in a sundress with a cane.
though if we were in our old offices on the 27th floor that would be super impressive.  now, on the 8th floor, it's just like "yawn, french spiderman guy does that before breakfast"

cake cake cake cake cake cake
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been
Jump to: