Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 02, 2014, 10:34:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been  (Read 33865 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #375 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »

You know, seeing an appearance on "Millionaire" as the height of embarrassment seems to me like a horrifically classist position to take, but I admit I may be completely misinterpreting what Jean-Yves is saying. My knee jerk reaction to that post was to be offended, though, I must admit.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Augo

« Reply #376 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »

So I met the billionaire CEO of our company today.  He is exactly what I imagined... a 400 lb. dickhead with nothing nice to say and a smug look on his fat fat face.  Some of you Wisconsinites may have heard of him.  Dennis Dixon of Menard, Inc.  Total asshole I tell you.

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
edison

« Reply #377 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »

You know, seeing an appearance on "Millionaire" as the height of embarrassment seems to me like a horrifically classist position to take, but I admit I may be completely misinterpreting what Jean-Yves is saying. My knee jerk reaction to that post was to be offended, though, I must admit.

I didn't think this through on a very deep level, actually (the "height of embarrassment" was obviously hyperbole on my part) - I understand the "get rich" aspect of it, but I would just feel particularly embarrassed taking part in pretty much any TV show and can't relate to people going "Oh, I would love to do that", and that is all! (the two people I mentioned are not lower-class or in any kind of financial trouble, to my knowledge, for the record)

It is probably worth mentioning that the guy who presents the show in France is very, very disgusting.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008, 02:30:13 AM by edison » Logged
dieblucasdie

« Reply #378 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:31:52 AM »

Actually, one of my best friends was only able to attend Notre Dame because his older brother was one of the first people to win the million (back in the Regis days, when it was on like 7days a week).  He used his last lifeline to phone his parents and just said, "Yeah, I know the answer to this question.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm about to win a million dollars."

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
edison

« Reply #379 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:41:53 AM »

It's interesting, because now I feel compelled to understand the reasons beyond my knee-jerk dismissal of that show - but that title, already - Who wants to be a millionnaire? - I can't help but reading it as "MONIES, YOU IDIOTS" - but I'm annoyed that I can't really explain why the concept is so offputting to me

edit: it probably bears saying that I am not claiming anyone who participates in this show is an idiot, I just think the whole premise of the show seems icky (the permanent condescending expression on the French host's face probably largely accounts for that impression, too)
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008, 02:44:33 AM by edison » Logged
morgan

« Reply #380 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »

Actually, one of my best friends was only able to attend Notre Dame because his older brother was one of the first people to win the million (back in the Regis days, when it was on like 7days a week).  He used his last lifeline to phone his parents and just said, "Yeah, I know the answer to this question.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm about to win a million dollars."

I saw a clip of that somewhere on the internet.  It was pretty great!
Ignatius

« Reply #381 on: Jul 29, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

I remember some backlash regarding that: like, "oh, what a smug so-and-so."  Which is funny to me because I imagine that people were probably pulling for him right up until they knew he was going to be much much richer than they.  It's nice to hear that he helped out his brother, in any case.  Me and my friends [we've all been close for a long time] have a table more or less drawn out as to who gets what if one of us becomes suddenly very wealthy.  I need a job.
El_Josharino

« Reply #382 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »

My job has kind of been sucking lately, but today I had a moment of "eh, it could be worse" when I was talking about kicking a customer in the uterus and my boss didn't actually care and was actually rather amused by the little rant I was off in.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
sassymcassface

« Reply #383 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »

my job is (at this current moment) awesome. 
i got my raise, stupid coworker is getting fired, i may be getting a promotion.
bad news: one of my favorite coworkers might be leaving Sad

cake cake cake cake cake cake
dieblucasdie

« Reply #384 on: Jul 31, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »

So the (awesome) head of the gf's department got fired without notice and has been replaced by the CEO's gay lover.  Which basically means that the gf now has to run the department but without title or increased pay, as well as have to deal with someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

Time to send out the reeeeeesumes

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
morgan

« Reply #385 on: Jul 31, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »

That's lame!

OT: I start a new job on Tuesday, and it will be my first job back in America (I know, I am kind of a lazy bum, but it's not like I need the money).  It'll be good to get out of the house every day and have a normal schedule again, I've got to say.  I'll be working at a call center through a temp agency, which is not exciting, but hey, it's a job.  At least I won't have to make cold calls (I don't think so, anyway).  I'm slightly excited about starting.
DCDave

« Reply #386 on: Jul 31, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

but it's not like I need the money

What?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
morgan

« Reply #387 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »

...well, I saved up a lot of money while I was in Korea.  I'll just say that I'm not hurting right now, and if I didn't want to get a job for quite a while, I'd be alright.
Ashley

« Reply #388 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »

call centres are special places.

being unemployed reminds me of how awesome having a job can be even beyond having money.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
morgan

« Reply #389 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

Yeah, no kidding.
diesel_powered

« Reply #390 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »

Now, now... don't forget how truly miserable being employed can make a person.

You're pretty much screwed either way.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
edison

« Reply #391 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:07:21 AM »

I apparently managed to make one of my interns cry with an extremely innocuous email stating that she should not leave more than 30 typos in her translations. I am the meanest! Go me!

Seriously, I can't wait until this baffling shit is over. Which is tonight. Woohoo!
Good Intentions

« Reply #392 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:40:48 AM »

Prhaps you don't appreciate how frightenign you can be, Jean-Yves. I'm sure that more than oen of your charges will be happy to escape with just teh telling-off you gaev one of them.
edison

« Reply #393 on: Aug 01, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »

oh, I'm sure alex will tell you how frightening I am. If she isn't too frightened.

(My boss (by extension their boss as well) is also very, very mild)

PS: the next time I see you making typos in your posts, I will fly all the way to New Zealand to punch your teeth out
diesel_powered

« Reply #394 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »

I finally got paid! Half of what they should have paid me, but it's probably because the boss didn't tell payroll to give me the full amount for this class in one check and they're splitting it between this check and the next one. Still though, hooray for moneys!

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Greg Nog

« Reply #395 on: Aug 01, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »

being unemployed reminds me of how awesome having a job can be even beyond having money.

Man, if I had a guaranteed regular source of income, I would be just unbelievably happy to be unemployed.  I've never gone through a stretch of joblessness where I've desired a job in any way.  I would make such a kickass aristocrat, all brushing up on my polo game, all exploring the seaside for fossils as I dabble in my amateur paleontology hobby, all fending off my aunts as they try to set me up with some well-off young lady.  also cravates will be involved
coldforge

« Reply #396 on: Aug 01, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »

Man, I am with you there, son. Surely we can set up some kind of scam?

č l'era del terzo mondo.
hannah

« Reply #397 on: Aug 01, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

I swear to goddamn God, if the new person taking over for me sends me one more email saying things like "I am so worried about starting this job, please help me do the best I can" and "I will send you more questions this weekend," I will...um...change my email address, change my phone number, delete my facebook account, and, uh, move to another state. Well, one of those is true no matter what. Fuuuuuuuuuck.
Nick Ink

« Reply #398 on: Aug 01, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »

Man, I am with you there, son. Surely we can set up some kind of scam?

I'm in. Far as I'm concerned The Dignity Of Labour is just an awesome Human League 12.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Wally

« Reply #399 on: Aug 01, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »

I like working. Although the enjoyment I get from any particular job is limited. Which is to say if the three of you set up a commune in which you need to be waited on hand and foot. Well I have a pretty impressive c.v.

Actually I think I've discussed the possibilities of being coldiie's butler with him before.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been
Jump to: