Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 16, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658001 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: So I ate this food with my mouth the other day and hey listen to this:  (Read 90097 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #125 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »

Seriously? Other than meat, they're pretty much competitive or cheaper on most things here.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
elpollodiablo

« Reply #126 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »

I dunno if it's regional or what, but they do not even compare to like Kroger (a regional supermarket chain).

think 'on the road.'
heather marie

« Reply #127 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm kind of shocked at that, too. But I think I do my grocery shopping a bit differently than other folks. I don't buy a lot of "convenience" foods, just lots of grains and beans and whatnot. But still.. not much in TJ's is priced over $3-4. What do you tend to buy, Miles?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #128 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »

Lots of fresh produce, meat, cheeses, etc. I do tend to buy a good deal of convenience food cuz I don't like to/have much time to cook. I mean I'm just guessing at what a normal shopping trip might cost me there; I've only been there to buy a few specific things, and it always struck me that I was getting overcharged.

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #129 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »

In Manhattan, anyway, Trader Joe's is much cheaper than any other store. Any time we go shopping The Girl looks resentfully at the bill and comments on how much cheaper it'd be at TJ's.

l'era del terzo mondo.
diesel_powered

« Reply #130 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »

There's definitely a lifestyle shift that comes with shopping at TJ's. Since their meat is way overpriced and their fresh produce is negligible, I end up buying more frozen stuff than I normally would. Basically, they kill on milk, yogurt, bread, and frozen stuff, so it sounds like you hit all the stuff they're high on.

There's a Kroger up the street from me but it's just gross. There's also a Fresh Fare By Kroger which is almost exactly like what I would expect of a Kroger, but twice as expensive. Odd, considering that I used to shop at Baker's all the time in Omaha and never had a complaint.

heather marie

« Reply #131 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »

Oh I will say that produce is something I will never buy there. Not only are the prices lousy, but the quality of it is pretty meh. But their brand of things is really awesome.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #132 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »

Beyond the prices, I've always found the shopping experience at TJ's to be really obnoxious b/c around here at least their stores are really small and packed to the rafters.

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #133 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »

If I did my usual $100 grocery shopping trip there

This is interesting to me. Recently the grocery store chain where I do some of my shopping gave away smurf figures with every purchases over 15 (which is somewhere around $22 or 23), and I kinda would have liked to have some of them, but the only time I got any was when a nice cashier girl asked people who paid less than that if they wanted a figure anyway. Pretty sure the only time I spent more than 10 on groceries in the last few months was just after moving into my new place and thus having to buy all the basic groceries and spices and all that at once.

So basically I'm wondering, how often do you guys go grocery shopping? I never buy stocks, just whatever I see myself needing in the next day or two, and thus end up stopping at a store (or two) pretty much every day.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #134 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

The idea of having to go to the grocery store every day makes me want to vomit with rage. I imagine you're talking more about little local/neighborhood markets and not supermarkets like what we have around here. I don't think you'd want to go to Kroger or Wal-mart twice a day.

I generally go to the grocery store two, maybe three times a month. Sometimes once a week. And that's more than enough.

think 'on the road.'
diesel_powered

« Reply #135 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm with Miles on this one. The supermarkets around here are asshole central so I usually shop once a week, usually on Sunday night when they're pretty empty.

Thermofusion

« Reply #136 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

I haven't been in a Kroger in years.  Or, technically, the one we had where I used to live was called a "Kroger Sav-On" and me and my friends used to say dumb phrases like "I'm fixin't' go get ma sex on, then I'mma put ma pants on, then I'mma go get ma Sav-On so I can get ma eat on!"  It was kind of miraculous I ever got laid, actually.

In North Carolina, your most expensive prices (and most pretentious shopping experience) are gonna be found at Harris Teeter and the best deals on food you'd actually be willing to eat without shooting yourself are to be found at Lowes Foods.  We also have Food Lion, which I tend to avoid, Piggly Wiggly (ditto).  I hit up Fresh Market and the local co-op for organics, produce and spices. 

I've been to the Trader Joe's in Charlotte once, but that was primarily to gawk, not to shop.

triple paisley minimum
alex

« Reply #137 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

Yeah, the shops in question are a neighbourhood market, an organic food store and something that qualifies as a reasonably (though not excessively) big supermarket on my terms, but probably as a tiny little shop compared to what you're used to. With the possible exception of the organic food store, neither of them is particulary cosy, but nor is going there stressful. And they're close by, so it doesn't bother me in the least. I know my intake in chocolate and chips would probably triple if I tried to buy these things for a week or two (as in, I'd buy what I think I'd eat in the next two weeks, and eat it all in three days), rather than just buying what I can handle eating in one day without getting sick, which is why I go there often and always just pick up whatever I need.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #138 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:13:23 PM »

Must be nice, is all I can say

think 'on the road.'
ellaguru

« Reply #139 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:21:29 PM »

I'm with you, alex.

I have a fresh fruit/vegetable store, a health food/organic bulk food store and a normal (somewhat overpriced) grocery all within about a 45 second walk from my house, so I buy tiny amounts of food basically every day. And there's butchers and bakers and delis all in less than 5 minutes. I think the fruit/vegetable lady doubts my seriousness as a human being, since I probably buy stuff from her about 10 times a week, which is pretty inefficient.

I should really be a little organized about the normal grocery, because I have a super cheap one that's only a 5 minute bike ride away, but when I get only small amounts the difference seldom seems worth getting on my bike. But I buy most of the stuff I eat in the small shops anyways.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #140 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »

Well la ti da, Herr Europa

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #141 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:26:10 PM »

Trader Joe's is owned by the same company that owns Aldi, and I've found that they tend to have pretty good prices on most things.  The only way I can see spending ridiculous amounts of money there would be to buy a bunch of stuff you don't need.  And even so, I never get out of there without buying SOME stuff I don't need.  The only potentially annoying thing about TJ's to me is how super-psyched all the employees there are all the time.  But as much as something like that would normally piss me off I can't hate Trader Joe's. 

Quincy used to have a Kroger and it was the best.  I miss Kroger.  Especially with the grocery chains we have around here.  But Harvestime owns all so I can't complain too much.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #142 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »

I'm continually surprised by Kroger, really. Especially in this town, where we have a gigantic ethnic foods section, and all of their produce is now organic.

think 'on the road.'
diesel_powered

« Reply #143 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »

The only potentially annoying thing about TJ's to me is how super-psyched all the employees there are all the time.

I just assumed they all downed a handful of mushrooms before work every day. At least the people who work at the one by me seem like they do...

elpollodiablo

« Reply #144 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »

Have any of you ever purchased/had experience using the brand of mole picture above?

think 'on the road.'
heather marie

« Reply #145 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »

I shop about 2-3 times per week but that's because I use a lot of fresh ingredients so I'm constantly running to the local produce joint to pick something up. I probably spend the most money there, just because I eat a lot of veggies. I go to Whole Foods about once every two weeks to stock up on things, then shop at the 3 "main" stores in Hyde Park. One of them is literally right around the corner from our apartment, and the other two are both less than a mile. If I had to go to Jewel or Dominick's 3 times a week, I'd shoot myself. Trader Joe's is so fucking tiny and outrageously busy that yeah, unfortunately I don't go there that much. Which is probably good because Jim is right, I would buy a ton of shit I don't need.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #146 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

Is Whole Foods outrageously expensive?

think 'on the road.'
Wally

« Reply #147 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »

Apparenetly I just ate hippy balls.  Confused

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
heather marie

« Reply #148 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »

Is Whole Foods outrageously expensive?

If you buy anything from the outside aisles, then yes. Their brand of tofu is $1.39, their canned beans are 59cents, the bulk shit is priced appropriately, a gigantic bag of quinoa or brown rice is about $1.29, and so on. There's no way in hell I could buy all my groceries there but it's like 4 miles away so a trip to get things I use a lot is worth it.
kadiekatRN

« Reply #149 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »

We usually go shopping about every other week to the big ol' Pick'N'Save.  Pick'n'Save pretty much owns Southeastern WI, even more so when Jewel went out of business in the area.  I used to love the Jewel nearb;, it had a surprising assortment of natural and ethnic foods.  The PnS that is there now got rid of a lot of the good stuff.  There is also a nearby Lena's which is a local African-American-focused chain in MKE.  They are cheaper than your corner grocery, but there are is nowhere near the selection or the deals of a PnS.  I think I'd like it better, too, if I were a meat eater.

Anyway, we supplement our groceries with stuff from TJ's, Whole Foods, and more often OUtpost, a local co-op, or Riverwest Co-op, a little co-op nearby.  Sometimes I buy cake from the Metro Market, which is actually also a Pick'n'Save, but fancier.  Mmm...cake.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: So I ate this food with my mouth the other day and hey listen to this:
Jump to: