Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 08:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: So I ate this food with my mouth the other day and hey listen to this:  (Read 93191 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #375 on: Apr 17, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

If that's your crowning achievement vis-a-vis local cuisine, you're still better off than like 90% of America.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #376 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »

Between lobster rolls and myself, that's really all you need!

No, I just wasn't sure how regional you mean by regional; most of the New Hampshirey foods are also found in the surrounding areas, too; New England's cultural/culinary contributions seem to be divided less along state lines and more along terrains and immigration-patterns, as far as I can tell; a lot of the seafood stuff can be gotten in Maine or Mass or Connecticut, a lot of the woodsier stuff can be gotten in Vermont and western Mass.  One of the things about NH is that its relatively central place geographically means that it does a lot of foods that get associated more with other states.  So like, my favorite cheddar is from NH, and my family used to make our own maple syrup (there's a fair amount of sugar-maples around) but Vermont's way more known for both.

The only really regional thing that does pop out at me is the eels, 'cause they were easily fished out of the Merrimack River -- originally, by tons of folks, then later by people who were too poor to buy other fish or meats.  Which was mostly the Quebecois immigrants who came to work in the mills and settled on Manchester's West Side, so nowadays its seen as a kind of French-Canadian thing to eat. (The West Side being all Quebecois is also the reason that it's hard to find poutine on the East Side of the Merrimack).

Does Smuttynose Beer count as regional cuisine?  We got that!
santaclaustral

« Reply #377 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »

Today I discovered a shop that sells pure maple syrup.

I am being an invalid and eating anything I want on the basis that, if my body's craving it, then it's to fight the evil sore throat that has been plaguing me for the past two weeks.

I would be very surprised if there is any maple syrup left in that bottle by the end of the day.

Very Happy
milesofsparks

« Reply #378 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

Today I discovered a shop that sells pure maple syrup.

Shocked

I hope it cures you!

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
milesofsparks

« Reply #379 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »

and thanks, Mr. Nog, for the NH food info!

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #380 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »

No problem!  If I think of other NH-specific foods, I'll let you know!  And if you are thinking about making a culinary journey up there, I can certainly point you towards interesting stuff, like where to get the best coffee ice cream or gyro in Manch.

I would be very surprised if there is any maple syrup left in that bottle by the end of the day.

I don't know if this is mostly a New England thing, or if people everywhere do it, but when I was little, my sister and I would get really excited about the first big snowfall because we could have maple-snow for a delicious dessert treat.  We'd collect snow outside, then bring it in and our mom would drizzle maple syrup on it.  Oh man, tasty and cold.
El_Josharino

« Reply #381 on: Apr 17, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »

Yesterday I stepped out of the office at around 1 or so to grab lunch and holy crap the weather was magical. I decided right then and there that I was grilling for supper. I had some beef and some potatoes, and I dropped by the grocery store for charcoal and headed out to the backyard and fired it up. I mixed some basic spices and a little beer and a little Worcestershire sauce in with the burger and pattied that shit up and threw it down. Wrapped some taters in some tinfoil along with some garlic and butter and threw them down also. Holy crap it was good. I'm grilling again on Saturday before the Man Man show and everyone is invited.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
RoyBiggins

« Reply #382 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Damn. I should grill for supper, too.  But I gots yoga tonight, so that's probably out.  Maybe I'll have a cookout tomorrow night.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #383 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »

You have forgotten the face of your father, Biggins

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #384 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:22:21 PM »

Damn. I should grill for supper, too. 

Yeah, you should all grill for Supper. I'm kinda hungry, but too lazy to cook for myself.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #385 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

Goddamn now I want some grilled asparagus

With dijon mustard, dammit!

think 'on the road.'
edison

« Reply #386 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

Damn. I should grill for supper, too. 

Yeah, you should all grill for Supper. I'm kinda hungry, but too lazy to cook for myself.

Hey, who was accusing who of making a lame joke earlier?

Much Love
elpollodiablo

« Reply #387 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

Alex is your name really Supper?

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #388 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »

edison: Who says I was joking!
(I kinda see your point, though, of course.)

pollo: Yup.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #389 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »

Crazy! Is that a common name?

think 'on the road.'
El_Josharino

« Reply #390 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »

Damn. I should grill for supper, too.  But I gots yoga tonight, so that's probably out.  Maybe I'll have a cookout tomorrow night.

I know where there will be a sweet cookout on Saturday.

alex

« Reply #391 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

Crazy! Is that a common name?

Doesn't mean anything in German. It's one of approximately four or five names that exist in the village that my parents are from, but not so terribly common outside of that region. Basically, common enough for me to have an unrelated lecturer of the same last name at the department where I did my undergraduate studies, but uncommon enough that everyone at that department continually asked me whether we were related.

edit: That lecturer was from a village very close to my parents' hometown, too.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #392 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

You know my last name is Abendessen, right?

think 'on the road.'
Wally

« Reply #393 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »

I've had five bean and tvp chilli for at least one meal on each of the last six days, tomorrow I'll finish the lot of and be making myself some cornbread. Should be interesting.

Oh, I didn't thank nog for the reciepe link. Ta.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Greg Nog

« Reply #394 on: Apr 17, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »

Sweet!  I wasn't sure whether that Jiffy-type cornbread mix was even available across the seas.
Augo

« Reply #395 on: Apr 17, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »

How big is your grill, bro?  I think I may need to bring mine along.  I'm estimating 10-12 folks from Lincoln being there, Ben and Tyler F., and if a couple Kearney dudes are welcome by you, I may let them know of the happenings as well...

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
El_Josharino

« Reply #396 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »

How big is your grill, bro?  I think I may need to bring mine along.  I'm estimating 10-12 folks from Lincoln being there, Ben and Tyler F., and if a couple Kearney dudes are welcome by you, I may let them know of the happenings as well...

Fear not, my grill is pretty spacious. It's basically a great big used-to-be-a-gas-grill that some dude gave to us at Lincoln house. There was no gas tank and the burner was all rusted out anyway, so we just used it as a charcoal grill because charcoal grilling is way better anyway. But yeah, whoever wants to come by is cool with me. I've invited some other folks as well. Should be a grand opening to a grand evening.

I'm gonna get a bunch of burgers and dogs for whoever. Those'll be first-come-first-serve. If anyone want anything else, or wants to be safe they can bring whatever. Or chips would be dece. And bring your own bevereges. I'm gonna fire up the grill shortly after I get off work to make sure it's in full effect. I'm thinking people should start filtering over around 5:30-6. Who all is coming from Lincoln/Kearney?

Augo

« Reply #397 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »

Myself
Eric
Dan
Shane
Shane's lady
Shane's lady's lady friend
Kyle C.
Flowers (I think?)
Tone V-berg
Somebody I'm forgetting

From Kearney, perhaps Dustin V. and Wally Wallace, and whoever else they bring along.  The two Freeman boys also, and with them will probably come Michelle K. and her fella guy.

Or maybe none of these folks will show up and we'll get to eat everything!

SORRY LPTJ you pry don't care 'bout all this Aug business.  You are invited to this great event so it does sort of involve you!

Also, I need to update about my bison meal.  I decided to make a very meat-rich goulash, and it turned out quite alright.  Very simple, no spices added or nothing, just bison, noodles, very sporadic green peppers and just enough tomato sauce for the texture I was looking for.  I have a little bit leftover in the fridge but I'm not sharing.

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
El_Josharino

« Reply #398 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »

Sounds sweet. I think my buddy Tony will be there with a friend of his even though they're not going to the show, and probably Micah and his lady, hopefully my buddy Steve, and I'm gonna call a few other dudes tomorrow and see what's up.

This is turning into a full-on extravaganza. LPTJers should totally show up.

girl

« Reply #399 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »

Goddamn now I want some grilled asparagus

This is one of my favorite things. Make me some, too! (please)

this is a story and you're not in it
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: So I ate this food with my mouth the other day and hey listen to this:
Jump to: