Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657763 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: "...the life of kings." More Wire talk  (Read 6918 times)
heather marie

« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »

you're such a rebel.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2008, 10:46:23 AM »

you know, white people making fun of white people for being white people... that's pretty fucking stupid, when you get right down to it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
heather marie

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »

It makes me think of all the privileged white kids who talk shit about other privileged white kids in their Livejournals.
DCDave

« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »

And on message boards.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »

I forgive you, Dave

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #30 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »

you know, white people making fun of white people for being white people... that's pretty fucking stupid, when you get right down to it.
My desire to give people shit overrides all other concerns, mostly.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »

hah, yeah, i know. i'm pretty sure the same is true of pollo.

andronicus

« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »

I mean, my trust fund is generous enough that I could hire someone to give people shit for me, but it's like building your own house, you know?  You want to be able to look at it and say, I built that house of hatred and bitterness with my own two hands.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »

Unfortunately my parents made some shitty choices when they were younger and I have to give all my shit by hand

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

Don't feel bad about it.  It's way more authentic.  Who wants to live in a McShitnald's world when you can live in a Shitbucks world.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

entry #87: giving people shit

andronicus

« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:54:17 PM »

entry #87: giving people shit
entry #88: that part in the conversation where one guy takes the joke too far and it becomes awkward so everyone stops laughing and looks in his direction, expectantly, as if awaiting apology.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #37 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »

oh COME ON!

ok, i admit it, i'm no good at making jokes.

Wally

« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »

I'm re-watching it, and I hate to admit it but the newsroom scenes may become the first scenes of the entire series that at times I skip over. Love Clark Johnson, and the dude who plays Templeton is nicely skin crawling but there's still not enough going on to make them worthy of repeat viewing. I will say that I continue in my belief that the cameos that have been scorned by some to add to breadth of the show. However little we see of Randy or Nick, those moments remind us of the size of the city and the way its system keeps trunddling on regardless. Which having seen the final montage I think was a pretty big theme for Simon and co.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
hannah

« Reply #39 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-simon/the-wires-final-s_b_91926.html
edison

« Reply #40 on: Mar 19, 2008, 04:26:52 AM »

Eh, I don't know. It makes for an interesting read, and I love the man and all, but I'm a bit bewildered by the "HERE'S WHAT YOU MISSED YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" attitude. "Show don't tell is the rule" - yes.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #41 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »

David Simon seems to think the newsroom plot was a lot more engaging and interesting than it actually was. A lot of the interviews I've seen with him have focussed mainly on the Sun bits, and he's given the same sermon each time, which was the sermon we got on the show.

think 'on the road.'
Wally

« Reply #42 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »

Seems to be the first time he or his show has been constantly criticized, and he comes out fighting a little too fierce.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #43 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »

Eh, I don't know. It makes for an interesting read, and I love the man and all, but I'm a bit bewildered by the "HERE'S WHAT YOU MISSED YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" attitude. "Show don't tell is the rule" - yes.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. And I'm summarily unimpressed by the fact that the "real" story was apparently "Newspapers can't/won't/don't cover the real news, the important stuff." That's so trite and obvious it barely seems fit for discussion. Right? It might have been the subtext in the newsroom throughout the fifth season, but it isn't a particularly original or useful one.

At the beginning of the season, I worried that the newsroom plot was just going to provide Simon an opportunity to air some old grudges, beat up on some people that had slighted him during his years at the Sun and it looks like I was right. He's also made full use of this opportunity to accuse people in the various media, who have been enamored of the show otherwise, of willfully ignoring the subtext so as to avoid having a frank discussion of what's really wrong with the newspaper as an institution today. I wonder how many of those journalists were, like me, for the most part simply uninterested in Simon's newsroom. In this paragraph, he faults critics and media people for allegedly preoccupying themselves with 'meaningless' details, rather than confront what he obviously thinks is the SHOCKING TRUTH:

But for all of it to amount to a forest-and-tree farce? To argue about whether Whiting is more venal or one-dimensional than Valchek? To debate whether Gus Haynes is more of a hero than Bunny Colvin? To wonder whether anyone would be disciplined for cursing in a newsroom, or why they made the top editor wear those suspenders, or whether it was a cliché to have a fabricator driving the overt plot? To argue about whether the drama had become arch or unsubtle? And to studiously avoid any sustained discussion about whether the depicted newspaper is, in all respects, capturing the meaningful narrative of the depicted city? And whether that is an accurate critique?

Mr. Simon, those are the kinds of things people discuss when critiquing a narrative. I very much doubt that the journalists and critics across the country in love with your show are in some sort of unspoken collusion because they are too timid or afraid to discuss systemic problems in daily city journalism. Did it ever occur to you that the fault might lie with the writing this season? With your inability to spur discussion with these characters and stories? It might at least be worth considering.

All due love to Simon, but the man does have an incredible ego.

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #44 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:08:02 PM »

I agree with y'all, just thought you'd like to give it a read. Gotta say, his ego here rivals that of D. Chase (see: his response to the response to the Sopranos series finale)...and the ego of DM on a good day...
elpollodiablo

« Reply #45 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

Yeah man, thanks for posting it. It's not like I can stop reading his articles/interviews.

But I'd say his ego far exceeds anything I saw out of Chase post-Sopranos.

think 'on the road.'
RoyBiggins

« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »

How the fuck they gonna kill Omar like that?  In one sense, I'm glad nobody got the better of him, and in another sense, I'm thinking "BOBA FETT?  WHERE'S BOBA FETT" *accidentally knocks omar into the sarlacc.*

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
andronicus

« Reply #47 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »

It wasn't a non sequitur, though, the effect was intentional.  The circumstances of Omar's death had a great deal of value to the message of the show (institutions of the street/the game are all-powerful and no one can escape them) though it didn't have any value to the romantic rogue frame by which most of us had come to view Omar.  Revealing that dissonance between expectations and events is powerful I think, even when it's anticlimactic.
ellaguru

« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »

Yeah, and much as Simon seems to think the effect of the Sun not reporting Omar's death is the media failing to report any of the actually important events, what I got was closer to what andronicus is on about: being outside the institutions of the game, Omar doesn't count, and his death doesn't even get to be an event, let alone a tragedy.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #49 on: Mar 27, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »

I (along with, I'd imagine, Andrew, Dom, blucas, hh, etc) was slightly bemused when in the wake of Omar's death "long time devotees" of the show were all "ZOMGS I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT'S HOW IT HAPPENED" cuz if you actually watched the show and paid attention you were necessarily aware that it really couldn't have gone down any other way. Weren't we talking at the beginning of season 4 about how Omar would be killed unceremoniously and without any drama at all?

Hate to be all "I was hip to it before you were" but what with all of the fawning blanket coverage the last season got I feel obligated to point out that a lot of it was written by people who were not familiar enough with the show and its context and themes to write about it in any meaningful way. Take, for example, the coverage over at Slate and Salon. Everyone had to get their piece of the action this season, it seemed, even truly vapid media purveyors like Best Week Ever, which D watches religiously...along with blucas I'm sure.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "...the life of kings." More Wire talk
Jump to: