Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 22, 2014, 05:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657908 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: While greg nibbled on an unhealthy snack/tim roth what films have you watched?  (Read 103056 times)
Bubbachups

« Reply #100 on: Mar 22, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »

Went to see There Will Be Blood today. Not sure what to think of it. Some parts were really great, some parts seemed unnecessary or forced. It felt to me that he tried to do a Kubrick. And sometimes even came pretty close, but ended up with a missed opportunity. I'd still rate it 3.5 or maybe even 4 out of 5 though. Because when it was good, it was great. Really, Daniel Day-Lewis deserves every bit of credit he received for this film, extraordinary performance by him. And some of the themes underlying this film were played out very powerfully. God versus oil, it came together overwhelmingly well in that church scene. Maybe a couple of months off before finishing the final cut would have helped a great deal to make this film more balanced. Overall it definitely seemed to lack focus.

But what about that score? It almost ruined the entire film. Especially during the first half hour it annoyed the hell out of me. Id love to see this film with a proper score.

Also, got F.W. Murnau's Sunrise this week on dvd. Amazing first half, utterly mesmerized by it. After that, the part in which they reach and explore the city does seem a bit tedious (especially the pig scene seems unnecessary), but fortunately the film manages to pick it up again near the end.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2008, 08:28:08 PM by Bubbachups » Logged
Ah_Pook

« Reply #101 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »

1. HOWARD THE DUCK. Apparently, it's a requirement for all aliens to make bad puns. I'm not sure if Lea Thompson's character is supposed to be stupider than banana pudding or not. Can't believe they quoted CASABLANCA and ON THE WATERFRONT in the space of a minute. Poor Tim Robbins. This ain't going on the lifetime Oscar reel. All in all, worth seeing once if you're that kind of masochist, if only to see just how wrong a few of the plot twists are.

5. SLEEPAWAY CAMP. OH MY FUCKING GOD. I was scared of the idea of this movie as a kid. Now that I've seen it, it's not particularly gory (certainly after fucking STACY) but it is severely messed up, that last image will fuck with you. Unfortunately I read the spoiler at some site long ago, thinking I'd never get around to seeing it. Whoops, but the reveal is still pretty impactful. (Not the reveal of the killer. If you can't guess it after, like, forty-five minutes, you've never seen a horror movie in your life.) Desiree Gould as Aunt Martha = HOLY FUCKING SHIT NOW THAT'S AN INSPIRED PERFORMANCE IF YOU'RE ON STAGE AND ON CRACK. Apparently she's only been in two other movies. Surprised it was that many, but her scenes are never not spellbinding in a car-crash kind of way.

8. THEY LIVE. HOLY SHIT how have I not seen this before? Again, Carpenter's craft shines, particularly in the face of the crap that preceded it, but also it's just basically brilliant on every level. If this came out today, it'd be hugely hyped for its trenchant and topical satire (particularly in terms of its treatment of "terrorist organizations").

All in all a really good way to spend a night.

man this is a sweet night. been meaning to see Stacy for a long time too.

They Live is so fucking awesome. for a second i thought "the crap that preceded it" meant John Carpenter's previous films and we were going to have to have words, but then my reading comprehension kicked in. They Live rocked my universe as a wee Pook, and definitely still holds up today.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
peacocks

« Reply #102 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »

Started watching Wild At Heart tonight.  I know everyone here has probably seen it and talked about it a lot but I had only seen the one part (where that old lady now known to me as Lulu's mom was trying to fuck Nicholas Cage) while flipping channels.  The dialogue totally absurd in a great way.  Haven't finished it yet, needed a break from laughing in disbelief.  Also that song "up in flames" by koko taylor rules!

dick-check your priviledge
diesel_powered

« Reply #103 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:55:24 PM »

I need to check that one out. We watched The Pervert's Guide to Cinema two weeks ago and Zizek made a lot of references to Lynch's films and I realized that Wild At Heart was the only Lynch film I hadn't seen a million times.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
guanajuato

« Reply #104 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »

shitty movie weekend, FUCK!

vacancy: this was actually pretty effective snuff horror starring luke wilson. it kept me on my toes. plus frank whalen and ethan embry were in it, playing SNUFF KILLERS which is the least likely casting ever, because just to look in these guys' eyes is to hug them.

night of the demons: not as bad as i remembered, but not good either. it does have some great, offensive lines, and it's scary in that 'our friends, they've turned into demons' way.

creep: i actually kinda dig this one. girl locked in london subways tries to evade mutant science experiment who lives in underground tunnels left over from ww2, that are connected to the subways. the scenes in the subway are actually super effective and the director keeps his eye on the money by letting the environment do the job. it all falls apart later, but in a charming fashion. this same director made severance after creep. severance is kinda excellent, more like shaun of the dead. probably not for everyone.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Ah_Pook

« Reply #105 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »

oh i watched Enchanted last night with various nieces. it was pretty funny, but i probably wouldnt recommend it outside of a watching it with your 6 year old niece context. the part where the princess is walking through central park with the cynical "real world" guy and she busts out into a full on musical number with everyone in the park singing along and dancing and stuff was really funny. the guy was just "wtf?" the entire time. also susan sarandon was funny as the evil step mother. her entrance into NYC was hilarious. oh also the entire animated part at the beginning was a perfect over the top sendup pastiche of the whole disney princess thing.

so yknow, it was pretty good for what it was.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
dieblucasdie

« Reply #106 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »

I know pollo is dying to see it!

I watched "The Love Parade" since it finally came out on DVD last month.  I know I've gushed about it here before and the people who had seen it were all "meh," but it's still at the top of the list of my favorite films.  It's so ridiculous and insane and over-the-top.  There's a singing dog.  Maurice Chevalier plays an Eastern European Count, for Christ's Sake.  The whole thing is really dog-and-pony, too; you get the feeling you could knock over the sets by breathing on them.  But it's so charming and weird and dirty and vaudevillian. 

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
peacocks

« Reply #107 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »

isn't "the love parade" the title of the book that Toby Spiderman writes in "Wonderboys"?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #108 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:38:47 AM »

haha, yes, it is; I forgot about that.  But this is the 1929 Maurice Chevalier/Jeanette MacDonald musical. 

I don't think Chabon's referencing it though.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
peacocks

« Reply #109 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »

are you sure?  Wonderboys was really good*

*sarcasm, though I do think wonderboys is really good

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #110 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »

yesterday
Eastern Promises. Cronenberg film. I have to say I don't know why people go on about how good Cronenberg is. yeah, Videodrome etc were pretty good, with some nice ideas but the dude is hamfisted as fuck. About as much subtlety as Michael Bay. Spider was OK but the whole whore/Mother thing is pretty obvious. History Of Violence was just plain shit.

This Is England. This on the other hand was just plain wonderful. The film about skinheads in the early 80's. First half was almost utopian but obviously fell into darkness in the second half. That young kid was astonishing. The apparently found him in some community program in a housing project for kids who were struggling to stay in school. Stephen Graham (from Snatch) reminded me a lot of a early/mid period Gary Oldman. Amazing performances all round. fantastic film.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
girl

« Reply #111 on: Mar 23, 2008, 01:12:03 AM »

I watched "The Love Parade" since it finally came out on DVD last month.  I know I've gushed about it here before and the people who had seen it were all "meh," but it's still at the top of the list of my favorite films.  It's so ridiculous and insane and over-the-top.  There's a singing dog.  Maurice Chevalier plays an Eastern European Count, for Christ's Sake.  The whole thing is really dog-and-pony, too; you get the feeling you could knock over the sets by breathing on them.  But it's so charming and weird and dirty and vaudevillian. 

I put this in my queue when I saw it in yours. I'm bumping it up to the top!

this is a story and you're not in it
Cowboy Dan

« Reply #112 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »

just finished lake of fire. pretty much knocked me in the stomach. anyone else seen it?

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #113 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:36:35 AM »

yesterday
Eastern Promises. Cronenberg film. I have to say I don't know why people go on about how good Cronenberg is. yeah, Videodrome etc were pretty good, with some nice ideas but the dude is hamfisted as fuck. About as much subtlety as Michael Bay. Spider was OK but the whole whore/Mother thing is pretty obvious. History Of Violence was just plain shit.

oh hey, listen, you're not wrong about cronenberg being unsubtle--after all, this is the guy who has had multiple characters fucking EXPLODE in his movies. and then there's the ... well, not monster exactly, but i can't explain it without ruining half the film... in "rabid". and that's just awesome. and "shivers" has some ridiculous stuff in it, and i could go on and on. but i don't see how this is a CRITICISM. it's just a FACT. cronenberg is unsubtle, and at times, completely over the top. sometimes that's the best part.

hamfisted is another thing entirely, and i wouldn't say that about him at all. michael bay is hamfisted, and so is jerry bruckheimer. cronenberg's on another level entirely.

on a completely unrelated note, i need to add at least half a dozen movies mentioned on this page to my netflix queue.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #114 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:42:23 AM »

yesterday

oh hey, listen, you're not wrong about cronenberg being unsubtle--after all, this is the guy who has had multiple characters fucking EXPLODE in his movies. and then there's the ... well, not monster exactly, but i can't explain it without ruining half the film... in "rabid". and that's just awesome. and "shivers" has some ridiculous stuff in it, and i could go on and on. but i don't see how this is a CRITICISM. it's just a FACT. cronenberg is unsubtle, and at times, completely over the top. sometimes that's the best part.

I agree as far as the early stuff is concerned when he was an outsider making movies that no-one else would make, or even think to make. But his recent output has been aimed at the mainstream arthouse crowd. And his weaknesses are are standing out big time.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
diesel_powered

« Reply #115 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:45:45 AM »

I agree as far as the early stuff is concerned when he was an outsider making movies that no-one else would make, or even think to make. But his recent output has been aimed at the mainstream arthouse crowd. And his weaknesses are are standing out big time.

I'm with you on this one. His hamfisted whatever worked when he was making horror films, but it falls short when he doesn't have people's heads blowing up to fall back on. I came out of that movie wondering exactly what he was trying to say. Not good.

(Although I gotta say the whole much-discussed bathhouse scene was pretty breathtaking in its absurdity.)

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
martin_van_buren

« Reply #116 on: Mar 23, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »

Saw Vengeance is Mine earlier this week, which was really excellent, and saw Doom Generation more recently, which was... well, it was. Maybe great? Maybe terrible? I dunno. R. McGow is hot, things happen that I don't expect, it's like Natural Born Killers' trashy bi cousin. I dunno? Tell me what I think, I might believe you. I am drooonk.
jebreject

« Reply #117 on: Mar 23, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »

I'm with you on this one. His hamfisted whatever worked when he was making horror films, but it falls short when he doesn't have people's heads blowing up to fall back on. I came out of that movie wondering exactly what he was trying to say. Not good.

Not to pick nits, but if his films are that unsubtle and heavy-handed, shouldn't it be transparent what he's trying to say?

(Not that I disagree re: Cronenburg's lack of subtly, just sayin')

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Greg Nog

« Reply #118 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »

just finished lake of fire. pretty much knocked me in the stomach. anyone else seen it?

Oh, I'd been meaning to see that.  Although there are a bunch of other documentaries I want to see first.  My roommate just picked up The Fog of War the other day, and I'm psyched for that.

Saw 30 Days of Night again last night, 'cause it was on while I was cooking.  Still a pretty slick little vampire movie.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #119 on: Mar 23, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »

I just saw Lake of Fire this week. I think hannah nailed it when she posted about it here. It has some striking imagery, but while one could argue that its sprawling messiness embodies the messiness of the abortion debates, I think it really reflected Kaye's lack of a coherent vision. And I mean, I'm the last one to demand coherence, but it just kind of meandered an awful lot. Also the relative absence of female voices was a problem; I could actually roll with it when it came to the pro-lifers, since I could pretend it was intended to show the predominance of male leadership there (though I don't actually think that's what Kaye was going for), but when it came to the progressive side, the film presents no case as to why we should give a fuck what Noam Chomsky or Alan Dershowitz has to say about abortion, even though I did like what Chomsky said. 

For all those caveats, though, I'd still hesitantly recommend the film, and I don't disagree with Cowboy Dan that it packs a punch.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #120 on: Mar 23, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »

ddilaman, that was an awesome film fest.

4. UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT. Blaxploitation starring Sidney Poitier, Bill Cosby, Harry Belafonte, Flip Wilson, and a special guest appearance by a clearly-coked-out-of-his-gills Richard Pryor? Hells yes, I say. Man, I wish Cosby had done more roles like this.

This might be obvious, included in the idea of "more roles," but Cosby did two other movies with Poitier in the 70s--Let's Do It Again and A piece of the Action. I've actually been meaning to watch them for months now. Mother, Jugs, and Speed (without Poitier, but with Harvey Keitel) also has a somewhat similar vibe to USN, though I wasn't a big fan when I saw it about fifteen years ago. My personal Cosby fave is Hickey & Boggs, a really overlooked gem from 1972 that's more bleak than his other work.
ddillaman

« Reply #121 on: Mar 23, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »

ah pook and a-d-f hereby invited to next overnight movie marathon. just gotta make it to auckland.

Yeah, I meant that Cosby didn't seem to have many starring roles in proportion with his popularity and his talent. Imagine if he had been doing some of the Denzel Washington/Morgan Freeman roles. Hickey & Boggs sounds awesome, bummer that it doesn't seem to be out on a decent and/or in print DVD.

Cronenberg very tricky topic for me, I love a lot of his stuff but EASTERN PROMISES was a massive misstep and massively over-rated. His style works great when there is a fundamental unreality (NAKED LUNCH, VIDEODROME, EXISTENZ, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE) but when it's supposed to be real it's more problematic. I think I might have to give him a big re-visit soon.
hannah

« Reply #122 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »

I'm going to not address Cronenberg because I'll get too worked up.

I saw Paranoid Park. An allegory about (not) coming to terms with being gay! That's my reductive take. For real, I liked it. Save for the acting by the actress who I guess is in Gossip Girl. But I was surprised and somewhat moved.
Mesmerize

« Reply #123 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »

haha, yes, it is; I forgot about that.  But this is the 1929 Maurice Chevalier/Jeanette MacDonald musical. 

I don't think Chabon's referencing it though.

but James Leer is like an uber-fan of classical Hollywood cinema, so I wouldn't put it past him to be referencing it with that title.

thus the hearsomeness of the burger felicitates the whole of the polis.
heather marie

« Reply #124 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

speaking of cronenberg, richard is watching eastern promises with my mom.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: While greg nibbled on an unhealthy snack/tim roth what films have you watched?
Jump to: