Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 06:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658103 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Wien - Austria  (Read 5381 times)
alexandra

« on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »

Hello all!

I need help!

I will be moving to Vienna in the near future and I need to know more than the wikipedia entry will offer!

HELP!

tell me what you can about Vienna please!

(i know, i need to learn German)

this message is now diamonds
RoyBiggins

« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »

I just got REALLY confused 'cause I thought it was the other alex posting this thread.  Probably 'cause of the Wien thing.  Haha.  Du wirst ein WIENER sein.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
edison

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »

Vienna is awesome! I know, this is less than what the Wikipedia page says.

Have you got more specific questions, though? Because I could tell you a lot of things about Vienna (and alex could tell you 100 times more things, because she's lived there nearly all her life), but, hmm, guidelines would be nice  Smile
alex

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

Yeah, what edison said!

My first piece of advice is to eat a lot of pastry.
alexandra

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

hahaha!

Well, I'm moving there for work, so I need to know day to day living info!

How hard of a time will I have not knowing German?
What's rent like?
Where is it cheapest?
Transportation fees?
where can't I smoke?
weather?
how far is it away, by train or air to: Paris? Krakow?

Smile

I will think of more!

elpollodiablo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »

Wow alex! How long will you be there? Indefinitely?

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »

Not that hard, I think. Most people do speak at least basic English.

What's rent like?
Compared to NYC, can't be all that bad. I don't really know, to tell you the truth, because I've always lived in a council flat, which is cheap, but has a long waiting period, and isn't available to non-Austrian citizens anyway.

Where is it cheapest?
Generally, anywhere outside the Gürtel ring road. 15th, 16th, 10th, 11th district, probably. The former two are nicer than the latter, in my opinion - rather close to the centre, predominantly working class districts, pretty high percentage of people without Austrian citizenship or ancestants, which also means Turkish shops and bakeries that are open late (shops are not usually open late around here), markets, etc. That said, I'm probably biased because that's where I grew up.
But sometimes you can get lucky and find something pretty cheap in the inner districts as well, so I wouldn't look there exclusively. When edison lived here, he had a room in the centre of the 7th district, which is the hippest/most liberal/artsiest part of town. Living near the Naschmarkt (biggest open-air market, in the region of 4th/5th/6th district) is awesome, too, and cheap places can be found there as well sometimes. And the 2nd district has the best parks.
Do make sure to stay on the inner city-side of the Danube, in any case!

Transportation fees?
I recommend a bicycle for the summer time. Single rides on public transport are 1.70€, day tickets are the price of two single rides, monthly tickets are about 50€. The price of getting caught without a ticket is about 60€, I think, and you won't be asked to show it very often, so some people do systematically just not buy a ticket.

where can't I smoke?
Public buildings. You can smoke in bars and pubs and restaurants.

weather?
Coldish in the winter, but not extreme - typical winter weather would be around O° C. Summers are nice.

how far is it away, by train or air to: Paris? Krakow?
The train to Paris is about 15 hours, I think; I recommend flying (the flight itself is only about an hour, though of course airports tend to be outside of the city - I think the cheaper flights are not from the airport outside Vienna, but the one outside Bratislava, anyway, which is less than an hour by bus). There seems to be a fast train (probably expensive) to Krakow, less than 8 hours, where you have to transfer trains once. I've never been to Poland myself, though.
alexandra

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »

Wow alex! How long will you be there? Indefinitely?

a few years two or so!

Surprised

alexandra

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »

so, my work is in the 15th! on Hollergasse, so that's the area I would be looking for. which is awesome that your suggestions actually intersect that.

is every waiter surly? is it a requirement?

do they really still have balls? like... the dancing kind?

Greg Nog

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »

Watch out for disillusioned art students!

ha ha yeah we didnt forget
alex

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

Oh okay, that's the side of the 15th district that I'm less familiar with, but should be fine if you look around there. Pretty close to the 12th district, which has less of the multicultural flair, but is probably quite alright to live in as well. Will you be able to look for a place when you're already there, or are you trying to find something before you move?

The waiters in pubs and cafes are generally quite surly, yes, it does almost go with their job description. In restaurants, they'll usually be friendly.

Yes, "they" do, I'm afraid. Usually in February or so. If you must go to one, I'd recommend the Life Ball, the profits of which go to AIDS benefit stuff and which is a little more open for people from the gay community and that sort of thing. I recommend just staying away from them altogether, though.

Also, edison made me translate this short section from 'Alte Meister' by Thomas Bernhard:

The Viennese toilets are a scandal overall, even on the lowest end of the Balkans you can't a single such shabby toilet, said Reger. Vienna has no toilet culture, he said, Vienna is one big toilet scandal, even in the most famous hotels of the city the toilets are scandalous, you can find the most abominable johns om Vienna, more abominable than in any other city, if you have discharge some water, you will get a nasty surprise, he said. Vienna is superficially known for its opera, but actually  dreaded fot its scandalous toilets. The Viennese, well, the Austrians in general, have no toilet culture, in the whole world you won't find such dirty and foul smelling loos, said Reger. To have to go to the toilet in Vienna, is usually a catastrophe, unless you are an acrobat you will get yourself dirty, and the smell is so bad that it often gets stuck on your clothes for weeks.

By the way, opera tickets are dirt cheap if you don't mind standing (or sitting on stairs rather than in fluffy seats) for the duration of a performance!
coldforge

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

cool, i wanna go.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
alexandra

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

you can visit!

edison

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

I pretty much didn't know any Gerrman when I arrived in Vienna, and I was spoiled because Alex and her family took me under their wing, but still, it's not much of a problem - people speak English, so if you thought getting by in Paris speaking was no problem, don't even worry.

What's rent like?

I just looked it up again - my extremely well located room in the 7th was 320 euros per month, to which you had to add heating and electricity. So 350/400 for a room that was maybe 25m2 - not terribly cheap, but not so expensive either. At the time (i.e. a few years ago) there were *a lot* of people looking for places though - I would go and visit a place and five other people would be there at the same time.
alex

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »

Please do so while I'm there, too, though! (edit: that was about coldforge visiting)

And Alexandra, I'll probably be back in town for a week or two every couple of months or so (as I am right now), so we should have drinks at some point, too!
diesel_powered

« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »

Watch out for disillusioned art students!

ha ha yeah we didnt forget

OH SNAP!

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Wally

« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

Please let this be the beginning of a mass lptj exodus to Europe!

Which job is this for? The one with Magnetic Fields or Fred Thompson? Or the other one?

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
alexandra

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »

the one i go to everyday!

www.lomography.com

Wally

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »

Ah! That one! Well you better know that I'll be visiting. I need to buy a camera.

alex

« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »

Please do so while I'm there, too, though!
Wally

« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »

Please do so while I'm there, too, though!

Absolutely!

Heck, Maastricht is on my list of places to take a day (or 2) trip to this summer, anyway.

alex

« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »

Sweet!
alexandra

« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »

and all the lptjers will have a place to stay with me too!

I'm so excited!

(too bad I have to wait until summer/fall for the move!)

C of heartbreak

« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

Man I am totes gonna have to go visit both alexes in Vienna sometime.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
diesel_powered

« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2008, 04:02:03 AM »

And when you leave, you can say:

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Wien - Austria
Jump to: