Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658126 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: The first thought that pops into your sweet head: new Random  (Read 95056 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #325 on: Apr 26, 2008, 11:01:08 PM »

This place has basically become a ghost town on weekends

And most weekdays, it seems like

I've been down south, the past couple of days.  Just got back, and now have to clean a bunch of crap in my room so I have enough bedspace to sleep.
alexandra

« Reply #326 on: Apr 26, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »

It's spring!

everyone is out n about!

this message is now diamonds
Good Intentions

« Reply #327 on: Apr 27, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »

I dont know how you have time to keep up with any other forums. This one takes up almost all my internet time as it is.
I post there every two months or so, and then run back to the ivory tower as fast as my atrophied legs can carry me, banging on the door and beggin to be let in.
alex

« Reply #328 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »

It turns out I was unknowingly complicit in frat activities the other night. My housemate knocked on my door Friday night, asking if I happened to have sugar and a potato. A little later, she came again to ask for butter. When I headed into the kitchen  a bit later to do my dishes, I found out she and her boyfriend were baking an apple cake. A little later still, her boyfriend knocked again to ask for a carrot. None of this made a whole lot of sense to me (even less so when I saw two cups with pieces of cooked carrot and potato standing around in the kitchen for two days, so they didn't even  eat the damn stuff - the apple cake, at least, was gone), but the mystery was solved today when I asked her how the apple cake had turned out. She explained to me that this was part of an initiation rite of a student association (which, as far as I understand, is really very close to fraternities and sororities in the US, though I do believe they are mixed-sex), where she had gotten a call in the evening after the shops were closed and had to bake an apple cake and cook a carrott within a short period of time. If only I had known this before helping out!

Also, hey, I live with a sorority girl. Though it kind of fits in with my previous estimation of her, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
ellaguru

« Reply #329 on: Apr 27, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »

When I was doing my M.A. I lived with a sorority girl of sorts - she'd just graduated but was still, like, one of the sistahs who organized her sorority to whatever extent sororities are organized, I guess. Exiting treasurer or some shit.

Luckily (a) I have the uncanny ability to basically completely ignore rommates in such a fashion that they believe - rightly, in fact - that they're just being given all the space they could want and having no demands placed upon them, and (b) this is Canada, where our fraternity/sorority scene is about 1/100th in every way what it is in the States.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
ellaguru

« Reply #330 on: Apr 27, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »

Oh, the other benefit (for me) of living with post-sorority girl? The woman I was seeing at the time was doing her doctorate about 100 miles away, so we were weekenders. Anyways, after meeting the roommate, finding out her sororitial ways, &c., the girlfriend was able to live in absolutely no fear whatsoever that any sort of roommate romantic shenanigans would ever be afoot.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
alex

« Reply #331 on: Apr 27, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »

Yeah, I should say that I really have no idea to what extent those student associations really relate to the concept of US/Canadian fraternities and sororities - I'll have to interview some of my Dutch colleagues to find out what membership in such a club entails precisely. I think they may be a little bit less loathesome than American Greek societies. Whenever I do meet people who I know are in one of these things, they fit into those clichés nicely, although I think that there might be a pretty wide variety of them, and the ones who fit the clichés are just more visible, not necessarily because they're bigger but because they're more likely to be recognised as members of student associations. I believe someone mentioned recently that there are also fairly alternative associations, plus I think the sports clubs also take the form of such associations. I doubt that the more agreeable associations would involve initiation rites, however, so it's a bit of a moot point.
ellaguru

« Reply #332 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »

In Canada they are nearly invisible and almost nonexistent. I was at the University of Victoria for five years and I have no idea if they have any or not. I only know there was a sorority at the next school because of the roommate, and in Toronto here I've seen a couple of frat houses in the U of T ghetto, but U of T is, I think, the biggest university on the continent (or top 5 or whatever), so they couldn't hide the frats completely.

Prevailing wisdom is that the health of the Greeks is a function of liquor legislation. In the States, you basically can't buy a drink until you're a college senior. Therefore it is wise to live in a house where you have constant access to college seniors who can buy you drinks. This is what a fraternity is: a house with somebody who'll do a liquor run for you. In Canada, the age is 18 or 19, so you really only need somebody to get you beer until second semester. Most people can wait that long, so frats don't really offer us a lot, and almost nobody joins (and if you do join, you tend to get somewhat quizzical looks from the entire rest of the country). I'd expect that Europe would be even less interested in that sort of nonsense than Canada, since y'all are born with a glass of wine in your hand back there.

Greg Nog

« Reply #333 on: Apr 27, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »

Prevailing wisdom is that the health of the Greeks is a function of liquor legislation.

The more Blue Laws they pass, the less Ouzo we're able to drink, the less healthy we become.
andronicus

« Reply #334 on: Apr 27, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »

It's still just so weird to read this brilliant literate article about the intellectuals and scribes of the 16th century Ottoman Empire and then see the dude who wrote it in Walgreen's looking for dish soap or whatever.
slow west vultures

« Reply #335 on: Apr 27, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »

i was trying to encourage myself to do the sunday puzzles this morning as a way of regenerating my failing intellectual abilities, and i was looking at the jumble trying to rearrange TAPHAY . . . TAPHAY . . .

oh yeah,
APATHY

it made me smile. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Wally

« Reply #336 on: Apr 27, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »

It's still just so weird to read this brilliant literate article about the intellectuals and scribes of the 16th century Ottoman Empire and then see the dude who wrote it in Walgreen's looking for dish soap or whatever.

Tis true, I once bumped into my austrain prof I've mentioned before outside wilko's, I'd picked up a sink rack whilst he had a couple of bag fuls of cleaning liquid. It was odd.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
alex

« Reply #337 on: Apr 27, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

I'd expect that Europe would be even less interested in that sort of nonsense than Canada, since y'all are born with a glass of wine in your hand back there.

Haha, that's right. In Austria and Germany, there are frats, but they are pretty much ideological communities (ranging from very conservative to Nazi) with the social function of old boys' networks - if one of my housemates belonged to that sort of thing, I'd be looking for a new place to live right now. Up here, these associations seem to be fairly popular without this kind of ideological grounding, but I think their social roles are a little more diverse than just liquor legislation. But again, I really don't know much about those things.
Good Intentions

« Reply #338 on: Apr 27, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

Having lived in one such fraternity/dorm/student association, I can assure you alex that everything you need to know about your housemate's character can be determined by knowing what her sorority is famous for.
citrus

« Reply #339 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »

uhhhh folks have probably already realized this but these forums are THE MOST ADDICTIVE THING EVER.

i can't pull myself away.

This is post 9562 for me.  Just you wait, citrus.

It's less the posting, more the clicking on refresh over and over again each day, the constant waiting for people to say witty, interesting or nonsensical things. Also the fact for me personally that I've spent literally three months outside of my own country because of this board. So that's three months, plus at least two for clicking refresh and another one for posting and thats six months of my life this board has stolen from me, stolen like the wallet of cheap and drunk date who you push into a taxi rather then taking home, despite knowing full well that they won't be able to pay for the taxi, because you have their wallet.

I'm going to revive this to say that I've gotten to the clicking refresh over and over stage. I think I may have reached the point of no return.

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
Greg Nog

« Reply #340 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I've been enjoying the recent surge of citrus and peacocks posts lately.  It's ameliorating the sadness of Jim's disappearance, for one thing.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #341 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »

Yeah little c here is definitely cool by me

And for the record I miss Jim as well; I've wanted his beer insight more than once since he left

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #342 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »

My dad's girlfriend kicked my brother out of the house for being too punx. My dad has not contacted me about this yet. Maybe my brother will come stay with me and do the dishes.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
jebreject

« Reply #343 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »

punx don't do dishes

they just dress stupid and say things like up the punx and oi oi oi and dress stupid and have tall mohawks and dress stupid and play bad music and annoy me at bars

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #344 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »

Yeah that's pretty much what my brother does. Actually I'm not sure I've ever heard him say oi.

jebreject

« Reply #345 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

post pics of his leather

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #346 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »

Eh I feel like that would be mean, but if you're really interested he's my friend on myspace.

Ignatius

« Reply #347 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

Crazy glue is expensive.  So is never getting a job because your hair is very tall and it makes employers unsure.  I tried to be a punk but it was very hard in suburbia.  The only trains were for commuters.
citrus

« Reply #348 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »

Crazy glue is expensive.  So is never getting a job because your hair is very tall and it makes employers unsure.  I tried to be a punk but it was very hard in suburbia.  The only trains were for commuters.

fauxhawk?

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
Maaik

« Reply #349 on: Apr 27, 2008, 11:41:22 PM »

I just watched all the You Suck At Photoshop videos and my soul feels a little more crushed for it.

I need anne the man lessons
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: The first thought that pops into your sweet head: new Random
Jump to: