Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 21, 2014, 03:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658303 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Serving Notice  (Read 31578 times)
Doctor Bob

« Reply #100 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »

Not trying to be a dick, btw (I like Almanzo, remember?)- I just thought that it was worth pointing out, and that Alamnzo's otherwise solid argument (with which I disagree in large part, but it's still logically valid) is in some way undermined by the nice guy caveat.  Are you going soft in your old age, A?  Have we knocked the sharper edges off?  Tell me it ain't so!

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Almanzo

« Reply #101 on: Apr 17, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »

Ok, so my own bias clearly came through. I think bands that don't practice a basically Wagnerian approach to their ENTIRE product are douchebags.

Sodomize Intolerance
alex

« Reply #102 on: Apr 17, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

Hehe, alright then. (By the way, I like Almanzo too, though I very much disagree with him in this entire discussion.)

I agree with Salkin Red that that's actually a well-conceived album cover, though. I can see why people would dislike it, but not really why they'd accuse it of carelessness.
theothermike

« Reply #103 on: Apr 17, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »

I would really consider the shins more indie-pop than indie-rock. Same with a lot off the not-very-punk-rock-at-all bands that were mentioned.
Salkin Red

« Reply #104 on: Apr 18, 2008, 02:38:59 AM »

Ok, so my own bias clearly came through. I think bands that don't practice a basically Wagnerian approach to their ENTIRE product are douchebags.

You mean their product needs to last for hours, audience oreferably seated on way uncomfortable wooden seats in a specially designed venue, brilliant music offset by questionable lyrical content, the whole show run by a family of power hungry Germans????

"Metal is forever, in every single matter"
Good Intentions

« Reply #105 on: Apr 18, 2008, 03:06:49 AM »

Just like that, except, punk.
Ignatius

« Reply #106 on: Apr 18, 2008, 05:24:32 AM »

?
alex

« Reply #107 on: Apr 18, 2008, 05:43:08 AM »

oreferably seated on way uncomfortable wooden seats

Can we make "oreferable" a new word, please? I'm open to suggestions about its meanings (my own would be that it could serve as an adjective for being crammed somewhere, though that's based exclusively on what I thought it might mean in the context of Niklas' post here, not on the syllables it is made up of), but I do think this should be a word.

I'm not not trying to make fun of anyone's typos, by the way, I just honestly thought that this was a word I didn't know and was really disappointed when I figured out that it really must have been a typo for "preferably". I did learn an awesome new (obsolete) word while attempting to look it up, though: oredelf, n. (Law. Obs. rare.) - The digging of mineral ore; the right to dig minerals.

The OED online is my new favourite thing ever, by the way.

Also, I thought opera seats were soft and plushy? At least that's what they always seemed like from where I was uncomfortably seated on the stairs in the standing area of the opera house, because I never splurged on the real seats. But then, I make it a point to stay away from opera houses when they are performing Wagner, natch.
edison

« Reply #108 on: Apr 18, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »

The OED online is my new favourite thing ever, by the way.

I assume your uni has a subscription? or else, how does it work? The integrated OAD is one of my favorite things about Macs, but I do wish they had a French (local, anyway) dictionary as well.
alex

« Reply #109 on: Apr 18, 2008, 05:59:49 AM »

I assume your uni has a subscription? or else, how does it work? The integrated OAD is one of my favorite things about Macs, but I do wish they had a French (local, anyway) dictionary as well.

Yeah, subscription, I'm afraid. (Also, nobody ever told me about the integrated OAD for Macs! Why the hell do I have a pc notebook, then?) I also don't have access to a decent German dictionary, but at least we do also have a subscription to the Grote Van Dale, so all my Dutch needs are covered.
edison

« Reply #110 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »

(Also, nobody ever told me about the integrated OAD for Macs! Why the hell do I have a pc notebook, then?)

I thought you knew from having a Mac at work at some point in the last years (if I remember well, anyway?), but I checked and apparently Macs have the OAD since 2005, so maybe that's why you weren't aware of that? (it's an application called "Dictionary", and I think it's in the dock by default)

It seems to be a little-known fact, but anyway, it's very practical indeed.
alex

« Reply #111 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:19:54 AM »

Oh my. See, I had that on my dock at my previous workplace indeed, and I either removed it from there or at least never ever used it because I somehow automatically assumed it would be the sort of dictionary that would be included if Windows would include a stand-alone dictionary application with its OS, so basically an expanded version of the spellchecker included in MS Word. It never even occurred to me that it might be an application worth using!

edit: I'd feel guilty about derailing this thread if it wasn't such a useless discussion to begin with.
edison

« Reply #112 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:23:06 AM »

Well, that's an understandable mistake! Although maybe that dictionary is worthless anyway: it apparently does not know of "oredelf"!
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008, 06:34:30 AM by edison » Logged
Doctor Bob

« Reply #113 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:26:56 AM »

oredelf, n. (Law. Obs. rare.) - The digging of mineral ore; the right to dig minerals.

In that case:

ore : oredelf :: turf : turbary

Turbary has long been a personal favourite.

Re 'oreferable': doesn't it mean a sort of haughty stoicism?  The Germanic equivalent of a stiff upper lip?

Ignatius

« Reply #114 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:32:19 AM »

But there's a dire need to establish why indie rock used to be great and awesome and how come it's not at all great and awesome any more because craft and polish (and other things that historically ignorant, bourgeois Europeans enjoy) have usurped the passion and urgency exemplified by Beat Happening TURBARY?!  What department is responsible for granting turbary?
Doctor Bob

« Reply #115 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »

http://www.ipcc.ie/infoturbary.html

edison

« Reply #116 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:40:47 AM »

My problem with "oreferable" is the pronunciation - is the "e" supposed to be stressed like in "preferable", or is that stress displaced to the first syllable?
Ignatius

« Reply #117 on: Apr 18, 2008, 06:48:30 AM »

"if a person is able to demonstrate that they cut turf without secrecy, without permission and without force continuously for a period of 30 years they have a turbary right."

I find these conditions excessive.  After thirty years of continuous turf-cutting, you'd probably feel like quitting anyway.  Also, I'm intrigued by the notion of secret turf-cutting.   
Ignatius

« Reply #118 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:11:45 AM »

I feel really guilty about making fun of turbary.  I'm sorry, Ireland.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #119 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:13:59 AM »

After thirty years of continuous turf-cutting, you'd probably feel like quitting anyway.

Perhaps, but the need to heat one's house would really focus the mind, I suspect.  Smug oreferability just isn't enough to keep the toes from being bitten by frost.

On secret turf cutting- that's a subset of the Irish relationship with 'The Land'.  Have you got a week?

Doctor Bob

« Reply #120 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:14:36 AM »

I feel really guilty about making fun of turbary.  I'm sorry, Ireland.

You feel really guilty?  You're halfway to an Irish passport!

Ignatius

« Reply #121 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »

My dad once tried to take a peat brick wrapped up in a newspaper in his carry-on luggage when we left Ireland...  He was pretty sure there'd be no problem, agricultural product or no.  But my mom threatened divorce if he chanced our passage through customs on a brick of sod, so he tossed it in a garbage bin at the airport.  And that's not the only peat story I have.  But the other one isn't worth telling either.
Good Intentions

« Reply #122 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »

I have discovered on Last.fm that a common way people describe Nick Drake's music is as 'neo-freak folk'.

This is a sign from God that I must annihilate all of humanity. I'm sorry, but I'm sure you understand that this is for the best.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #123 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »

I do, for the record

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #124 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »

I knew I could count on you, pollo.

You start from the north, and I'll handle the south, we'll make a pincer and meet up , say, the Comores for some cocktails.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: Serving Notice
Jump to: