Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 07:43:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Insanity Now, Serenity Later? New Annoyances Thread  (Read 40868 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »

fine, i guess nobody gets my brilliant seinfeld reference.  whatever sci-fi geeks

Puppy-dog-eyed sincerity

i got it and appreciated it! That's one of my all time favorite episodes of anything ever.

think 'on the road.'
alex

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »

Damn, I just unstichted nearly half of what I already had of the scarf that I'm knitting. I'd noticed I'd made a mistake that really didn't look too nice, so I decided to unstitch the last couple of rows (even though I was fully aware that I am completely useless at mounting (?) the needle back into the stitches afterwards, but I just figured it would work out SOMEHOW). But somehow the thread got tangled while unstichting, so I had to unstich way more than I was originally planning to, and ended up having to cut the thread in order to untangle the whole mess. And then once I'd done that, exactly what I had feared happened: I kept unstitching row after row, always trying to get the needle back in there correctly, but always having the thread slip away, thus making me decide to go back yet one more row so I'd get it right on the next attempt (I don't know enough about knitting to smooth out mistakes other than by unstitching and doing it anew, obviously). Now I lost half the scarf, half an evening, and there still seems to be something awry with it all. Not to mention of all the work I didn't do because my "oh, I'll knit a few rows to relax before continuing to write my essay" turned into a completely non-relaxing activity that cost me a couple of hours. Not to mention the headache that I have, and the fact that I'm now too worked up to sleep, even though I should have gone to bed an hour ago. Not to mention the fact that I'm upset at myself for getting upset about a stupid scarf.
The_Tourist

« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »

my belt broke last night.

my amazing soviet army surplus hammer and sickle belt that can open beer bottles.

i will miss it dearly.

edit: and it's been over 100 degrees the past two days. wtf.

we have the money for missiles and fun
alexandra

« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »

so, remember the last version of this thread where i said that pollo sucks at email?

cause STILL no response.

FUCK.

this message is now diamonds
alex

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2008, 04:45:40 AM »

Not to mention the headache that I have, and the fact that I'm now too worked up to sleep, even though I should have gone to bed an hour ago. Not to mention the fact that I'm upset at myself for getting upset about a stupid scarf.

The aftermath is that I didn't get enough sleep, failed to get up in timely manner to start working at an acceptable hour (I mean, nobody checks, but I do feel guilty about it), and still have a headache.

Also, I'm getting increasingly annoyed about the fact that the woman I'm supposed to be interviewing in the next couple of days (i.e. between tomorrow and Thursday) in Amsterdam STILL hasn't gotten back to me about when she'd have time precisely. Since I want to combine this trip with some library research up there, and, if possible, the Centromatic/South San Gabriel concert tomorrow, which means I'd also have to book a room/bed for the night, it'd be really be handy to know at some point.
edison

« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »

Sorry to hear all of that - how many times did you ask that woman in Amsterdam though? (as in, maybe another email or even phone call is in order?). Also, if you make it to the C-M/SSG show, if you get the chance, can you ask if the European version of the album features a lyric sheet? (or of course tell me if you bought one for yourself).

I'm also annoyed because I couldn't get back to sleep after something like 5am, for some reason, and I know that means I'm going to be feeling like shit this evening, and to get little good work done today, even though I did get to work at a more than acceptable hour.
alex

« Reply #31 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:34:03 AM »

Oh, it was totally my fault for not being pushy enough. Anyway, she just replied, and the interview is on on Wednesday. Though I still can't make it to the show, because the person I'm interviewing has a presentation that evening that could potentially be highly relevant for my research. It's a shame I'll be missing the concert, though. A really big shame.

At least it means that I can stop feeling guilty about being unproductive today, though, because I'll be doing work-stuff all evening tomorrow while Centro-Matic and SSG are playing elsewhere in the same city.

(Also, sorry to hear about your own slack of sleep, too. Hope you manage to catch up tonight, at least!)
edison

« Reply #32 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:37:17 AM »

Whoa - who holds presentations all evening long? Anyway, I hope it indeed proves useful!
alex

« Reply #33 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:46:33 AM »

Oh, it's not a presentation in the academic sense, more some kind of mixture between a media-art performance and a symposium. This thing: http://www.montevideo.nl/nl/agenda/detail_agenda.php?id=430&archief=
I really do think it'll be interesting and going is definitely the responsible thing to do for me, just, you know, it's no Will Johnson.
edison

« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

Ah, okay. Yeah, at least it definitely looks interesting. No possibility of going to another Dutch Centro-Matic show for you?
alex

« Reply #35 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:53:19 AM »

They're playing a show in Utrecht next week. It's also on a Tuesday though, so I don't know if I'll be able to make it.
edison

« Reply #36 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:54:39 AM »

Right. I was fairly impressed with my first few listens to the new albums, so at this point I'd say try to go if it's not too much trouble.

edit: actually, related annoyance, I want to go the C-M/SSG show in Freiburg next week with a friend who's visiting during the weekend, and I was planning to leave work early for that, but it turns out there's a workshop I absolutely have to attend until 6pm, so if there's a traffic jam or some other problem we might miss the beginning of the show, and there'll be no time to walk around Freiburg either. Ah, we'll see.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008, 06:02:33 AM by edison » Logged
alex

« Reply #37 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »

Right. I was fairly impressed with my first few listens to the new albums, so at this point I'd say try to go if it's not too much trouble.

edit: actually, related annoyance, I want to go the C-M/SSG show in Freiburg next week with a friend who's visiting during the weekend, and I was planning to leave work early for that, but it turns out there's a workshop I absolutely have to attend until 6pm, so if there's a traffic jam or some other problem we might miss the beginning of the show, and there'll be no time to walk around Freiburg either. Ah, we'll see.

Oh, that's annoying too. I really hope you won't miss anything!

I kind of assumed that the albums would be pretty damn good (though it's nice to hear it from authoritative sources!), yeah, so going "if it's not too much trouble" is kind of obvious advice. It's just that going to mid-week shows a few hours away if you have a full-time job and no car is always a whole lot of trouble, by definition.

edit: Gah, and this headache just keeps getting worse. I'm so whiny today.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008, 07:14:22 AM by alex » Logged
diesel_powered

« Reply #38 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »

Y'know, the day before the installation deadline is not the fucking time to be coming to me for tech support. I'm not on the clock, I'm not fucking scheduled, and most of all, I HAVE TO FINISH MY INSTALL JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

I am not the only fucking technical guru on campus. FIND SOMEONE ELSE THAT CAN TELL YOU HOW THE FUCK TO BURN YOUR DVD. Hell, if you don't know how to burn an exhibition DVD, MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE STICKING TO WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.

I can't tell you how irritating it is that everyone fucking assumes that just because I'm at work, I'm working. This is a public fucking computer lab and I happen to be a fucking student who uses the resources here just like everyone else in addition to the fact that I work here.

QUIT FORCING ME INTO THE POSITION WHERE I HAVE TO BE THE ASSHOLE AND SAY NO.

FUCK OFF EVERYONE!
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2008, 04:34:30 PM by diesel_powered » Logged

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Greg Nog

« Reply #39 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »

I followed a Google-ad to a site for women's running clothes named after Atalanta.  One the site, they talk about how Atalanta was the goddess of speed and travel.  So of course, I got wicked fucking mad, but restrained myself and sent them a very polite e-mail explaining that no, Atalanta was not a goddess, just a mortal woman.

They sent one back with a one-line reply:  "Who are you?"

So I sent back an e-mail that said "I'm Greg!"

MORE UPDATES AS THEY APPEAR
elpollodiablo

« Reply #40 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »

Why exactly were you following Google ads for women's running clothes?

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #41 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

I thought maybe I could use a running-dress.

SPOILER:  they only make skirts, though, and I ain't gonna wear no skirt because unlike a dress a skirt would just look ridiculous.
silentsigh89

« Reply #42 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

one of my wisdom teeth has burst into my mouth this week. Every time I close my mouth completely, my cheek starts bleeding.

I AM NOT PLEASED.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #43 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »

I thought maybe I could use a running-dress.

SPOILER:  they only make skirts, though, and I ain't gonna wear no skirt because unlike a dress a skirt would just look ridiculous.

?

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Greg Nog

« Reply #44 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »

That's fine and all, but that's less for running, more for dancing in circles and fighting Turks.

silentsigh, that blood means you're in a new stage of bodily wisdom!  It's like Period 2.0!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #45 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »

Man, considering how well ABC does streaming its programming content, I'm at a loss as to why they're not streaming tonight's debate.

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #46 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »

Everything is getting on my nerves! Dumb film critics, not hearing from people who are supposed to be staying in my apartment this weekend, thoughts of dull seders, strange employers!
alexandra

« Reply #47 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

BAH! I made the site so pretty but they want more simple.

BOOOOOOring.

this message is now diamonds
diesel_powered

« Reply #48 on: Apr 16, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »

BAH! I made the site so pretty but they want more simple.

BOOOOOOring.

I feel your pain, sistagirl. I feel your pain.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
milesofsparks

« Reply #49 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »

I am going to an allergist for the first time ever today, which is not annoying.  not being able to take antihistamines for two days, however, sux.  I can barely breathe.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Insanity Now, Serenity Later? New Annoyances Thread
Jump to: