Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 06:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Insanity Now, Serenity Later? New Annoyances Thread  (Read 41631 times)
andronicus

« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »

Hey, quick, everybody name your favorite German philosopher.
I CAN HAS SCHOPENHAUER
girl

« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »

I CAN HAS SCHOPENHAUER

No, no, no! You were supposed to say Julian Casablancas! You know, so it'll do that thing, you know. . .

(I thought it was a good joke, blucas.)

this is a story and you're not in it
citrus

« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »

I CAN HAS SCHOPENHAUER

No, no, no! You were supposed to say Julian Casablancas! You know, so it'll do that thing, you know. . .

(I thought it was a good joke, blucas.)

I think I was lurking for that one actually so I know what you're talking about. Does it still do the replace thing?

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
girl

« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »

Yup! It still amuses me, too.  But on the new board you can turn the filter off in your profile, so when I look at my original post, it says N. . . , but the post you quoted says Julian Casablancas.

this is a story and you're not in it
citrus

« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »

wait i have to try it

Julian Casablancas

Ha I spelled it wrong first and I was confused but...awesome.

citrus

« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »

and when i got confused i thought "is this it"?

HAHAHA

sassymcassface

« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »

oh god someone please just stomp on my head

i'll do it if it will solidify our friendship.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
Anne the Man

« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »

I'm just moving something out of the happy thread, cos it doesn't fit there anymore.

I know phil is meant to teach you how to argue, but I hate how it always takes these exceptional, often completely ludicrous positions on something and treats them as the rule. Like when people talk about using the Golden Rule ('do unto others' etc) as a moral code but people always go "nooo, but what about masochists" as though that's a reason for discarding a rule which, if actually put into practice, would work pretty damn well for 99% of the population.

Only, it wouldn't work at all well for 99% of the population. 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' means never treating people as they'd want to be treated, only as you'd want to be treated. I'd hate it if my mother spent all her weekends with me, because she'd love it if I spent all of mine with her. I'd hate it if my husband bought me a new pair of running shoes because he'd love a new pair -- running makes me feel sick. I would be, and am, incredibly annoyed by the people on my friendslist who post long-ass screeds about their annoying causes and don't stick them behind a cut, while they seem to welcome it. This isn't exotic, hypothetical stuff, it's everyday life.

That then brings up the issue of interpretation and application, like when you say the Golden Rule, how specific are you being? Maybe it works if you mean treating people more generally with consideration, respect, kindness and empathy, in that you would have to consider their specific needs, respect those, and treat them kindly as they would interpret kindness, in that when you think about it, that's what most people want others to do for them, even if it then leads to a list of more specific acts. But if you interpret it very literally, like in Bernard's example of what someone might do, then it falls apart pretty quickly, since you can in fact lose some of that empathy and respect. Which perhaps adds to the potential importance of discussing the issues, since a potentially good idea can quickly become a more problematic one, or even vice versa, depending on how it is interpreted and applied.

I meant it in a less specific way. It's not like if I wanted an abortion I'd go out and perform them on lots of men, or happily pregnant women. Treating that kind of specificity as a workable objection often completely ignores the common sense that the majority of the population have, so yet more arbitrariness.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:57:29 AM by Anne the Man » Logged

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
jebreject

« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

oh, it will. sass, m'dear, we'll be BFFs if you just do me the pleasure of removing my head or destroying my brain

i'm not sure i can even begin to describe how fucking shitty i feel. like my sinuses are stuffed with congealed hotsauce, my brain ten sizes too large for my head. i woke myself up about every half-hour to hour last night coughing, and twice i coughed so hard i puked. i really just want to go back to bed but i can't really afford to call in to work, so i have to take the bus downtown to get permission to leave as soon as i get there. god, and this is totally going to fuck my paycheck, too.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Anne the Man

« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »

Sympathies with you, Jeb Heart.

Honestly, with the healthcare problems you talk about on here I think you should just get a plane over here to the land of feijoas, Tim Tams and rad pairs of sisters who will kick your ass at Scrabble! Oh, and the cheap/free healthcare, I almost forgot about that. I'd put you up if you brought over your axe collection.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Greg Nog

« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »

Scientist A flaked out on Scientist B and I just found Scientist B wandering around in the drizzle, looking lost, being all, "Where Scientist A?" and I was like "I don't know I'M SO SORRY"

Now I have to be like, "Scientist A, why are you making everyone's life full of misfortune and confusion?"
jebreject

« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »

Sympathies with you, Jeb Heart.

Honestly, with the healthcare problems you talk about on here I think you should just get a plane over here to the land of feijoas, Tim Tams and rad pairs of sisters who will kick your ass at Scrabble! Oh, and the cheap/free healthcare, I almost forgot about that. I'd put you up if you brought over your axe collection.

It seems it's Nebraska vs. New Zealand for me

Sorry Augs, I gotta do what I gotta do

El_Josharino

« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

New Zealand may have cheap health care, but in Nebraska you don't get sick.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
dumbfish

« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:19 AM »

Scientist A flaked out on Scientist B and I just found Scientist B wandering around in the drizzle, looking lost, being all, "Where Scientist A?" and I was like "I don't know I'M SO SORRY"

Now I have to be like, "Scientist A, why are you making everyone's life full of misfortune and confusion?"

It's tough in the Lear lab.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
difficult

« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2008, 10:53:43 AM »

New Zealand may have cheap health care, but in Nebraska you don't get sick.

Actually, I get the distinct impression that in Nebraska, Josh doesn't get sick. For everybody not relying on their crutch of magic, illness takes place as usual.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
Greg Nog

« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

I was like, "Scientist B, where are your eyes?" and she was like "Dr. Cornwall plucked them out!  I thought he was talking about agar when he was going on about vile jelly!"

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Dr. Goneril is sleeping with one of her postdocs.
jebreject

« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:07 AM »

Maybe some of that magic will rub off on me

sassymcassface

« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »

oh, it will. sass, m'dear, we'll be BFFs if you just do me the pleasure of removing my head or destroying my brain

i'm not sure i can even begin to describe how fucking shitty i feel. like my sinuses are stuffed with congealed hotsauce, my brain ten sizes too large for my head. i woke myself up about every half-hour to hour last night coughing, and twice i coughed so hard i puked. i really just want to go back to bed but i can't really afford to call in to work, so i have to take the bus downtown to get permission to leave as soon as i get there. god, and this is totally going to fuck my paycheck, too.

well, now that this http://io9.com/387866/killer-robots-can-now-eat-us-and-enjoy-the-flavor is possible, i will take pleasure in feeding your brains to robots.
try using those sudafed shower soother things.  they help so much with demon headcolds and other such things.  Much Love

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »

I was like, "Scientist B, where are your eyes?" and she was like "Dr. Cornwall plucked them out!  I thought he was talking about agar when he was going on about vile jelly!"

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Dr. Goneril is sleeping with one of her postdocs.

very nicely done, sir.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jess

« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

Feel better Jeb! I'm sniffly today too, but nowhere near as bad as that sounds.

What is annoying me are my messed up knees that won't heal. According to my PT, I'm making good progress in every respect (strengthening, flexibility) except the whole pain/inflamation lessening thing. Great. And tonight there will be dancing and drinking and general merriment going on with some friends of mine basically down the street from me, but when standing and walking don't feel so great, I'm thinking dancing is out. Boo. I need lazier friends for now, who like to sit when they hang out and drink.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:44:46 PM by jess » Logged
jebreject

« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

Come over to my place, Jess! That's about all we do anymore, 'cept on the very rare occasion we go dancing.

But don't come over tonight.

ellaguru

« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

Ya gotta be careful with knees, jess, they like to stay messed up when they get messed up.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
jess

« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

Oh yes, the knees have been messed up for a while, since I was maybe 11 (my theory is that the knee problems started once I started developing my "birthing hips"), but it had been a couple years since they'd been bad, and never this bad. This is what I get for trying to be all healthy-like and work out, which is what triggered this. So now I'm supposed to get an MRI, which I've never had before (only x-rays). I can't decide if I'm more nervous about the prospect of needing knee surgery (especially if it's on both) or the possibility that no one's going to have a clue how to fix this. Being in pain and not being able to function is getting old, fast.

Come over to my place, Jess! That's about all we do anymore, 'cept on the very rare occasion we go dancing.

But don't come over tonight.

But Jeb, you should come over here, since I'm all lame and whatnot. We can go chill in the commie-themed bar (seriously) right downstairs. You know you wanna.
The_Tourist

« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »

Oh yes, the knees have been messed up for a while, since I was maybe 11 (my theory is that the knee problems started once I started developing my "birthing hips"), but it had been a couple years since they'd been bad, and never this bad. This is what I get for trying to be all healthy-like and work out, which is what triggered this. So now I'm supposed to get an MRI, which I've never had before (only x-rays). I can't decide if I'm more nervous about the prospect of needing knee surgery (especially if it's on both) or the possibility that no one's going to have a clue how to fix this. Being in pain and not being able to function is getting old, fast.

you and sassy should be friends.

she's had knee/joint problems since she was a kid and has been walking with a cane the past couple months due to it mysteriously getting much worse. no idea what's wrong and no insurance to figure it out.

we have the money for missiles and fun
sassymcassface

« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

you and sassy should be friends.

she's had knee/joint problems since she was a kid and has been walking with a cane the past couple months due to it mysteriously getting much worse. no idea what's wrong and no insurance to figure it out.

i think it is beastman aids.
though according to sassyblackdoctor it could have been.

ps: can we paint cane this weekend?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Insanity Now, Serenity Later? New Annoyances Thread
Jump to: