Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 06:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658136 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: In the Key of Your Favorite Alphabet Letter (Chromatic) Music, Random.  (Read 36303 times)
slow west vultures

« on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »

its time for a new one, and this is as creative as i could think of.

just saw this this morning.  we're sure there's no connection right?

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances

cause when i read this:

Despite its title's implied politeness, The Airing of Grievances qualifies more as existentialism wrapped in an anti-suburban screed

i wasn't so sure.  also this:

Plus, as anyone who's heard five seconds of this band already knows, he sounds like Conor Oberst screaming from the bowels of hell. However, to peg these guys as "emo" would be sadly inaccurate. Sure, torn diary page scribbles clutter Airing's heart-on-sleeve, fist-in-air anthems, but the drama's more Boss than Bright Eyes, fueled by blue collar frustration and, most notably, beer.

guys, bands are just materializing out of lptj vitriol.  watch what you say.  or say more of it. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
coldforge

« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »

Despite its title's implied politeness, The Airing of Grievances qualifies more as existentialism wrapped in an anti-suburban screed

That's a nice rhetorical flourish, there. I appreciate the presumption that a listener unfamiliar with the band would take that title literally.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2008, 12:08:11 PM by coldforge » Logged

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Maaik

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »

Yeah, I gave their MySpace a listen this morning.  I was half and half on 'em, but the half that I liked I was pretty excited about.

I need anne the man lessons
andronicus

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »

I heard of them a while ago, I believe my thought at the time was, 'this shit is like if the dropkick murphys were a bunch of twee pussies.'
graham

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »

Honestly, if they have to mention the dude from Bright Eyes, even to refute any comparisons that might be made, I'm staying the hell away.
Good Intentions

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2008, 08:36:38 AM »

It's finally happened: I'm getting into hip-hop. The intermittent playing of NWA, Nas, Ice Cube, Ghostface, etc, finally had the desired effect. I've been listening to Ice Cube for the past few hours, and I've been crazy feeling it. Fucking yeah.
Bubbachups

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »

Try Freestyle Fellowship too, that's the real deal when it comes to hip-hop in my opinion.
Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Boundaries (Innercity Griots, 1993)
Freestyle Fellowship - 5 O’clock Follies (To Whom It May Concern, 1991)
Babar

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »

It's finally happened: I'm getting into hip-hop. The intermittent playing of NWA, Nas, Ice Cube, Ghostface, etc, finally had the desired effect. I've been listening to Ice Cube for the past few hours, and I've been crazy feeling it. Fucking yeah.

congratulations, it's a good idea for you to sort your life into pre-hiphop and post-hiphop now

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
peacocks

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »

I heard a few songs by a band called kid dakota last night and I really really liked it.

dick-check your priviledge
citrus

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »

I heard a few songs by a band called kid dakota last night and I really really liked it.

I love kid dakota! I have never met anyone else who knew who they were. do you know what songs you heard? "so pretty" is awesome, they use ice cube trays for percussion apparently and it's just an all-around good song. my other favorite song is "get her out of my heart". i am a sucker for harmony split between stereo sides.

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
citrus

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

i'm so glad you mentioned kid dakota. listening to them is making my morning.

davy

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »

the best thing about kid dakota is chris mcguire, the drummer, who many of you have seen on tour with john vanderslice. he's not with them anymore, but he's featured on every recording up through the west is the future. he's fairly amazing, though somewhat understated in the studio.

the worst thing about kid dakota--for me, at least--is that it sounds like watered-down radiohead.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
citrus

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »

the worst thing about kid dakota--for me, at least--is that it sounds like watered-down radiohead.

I can see that.

Maaik

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »

Chris McGuire is best appreciated live.  Last I heard, he wasn't in Quruli anymore and that was like over a year ago.  Anyone know what he's up to now?  Seriously, I'll probably go see any band he's in.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »

This is not directed against you, SWV, but the "creative" thread titles are getting really wearisome to me. Not to mention that they discourage new members from joining.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Good Intentions

« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain that one to me.
G.C.R

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:03:11 PM »

because they'll think we have arcane discussions about chromatic scales and Serenity? But Ryan, you been here long enough to know thats what we DO talk about. I think that new members are more likely to be discouraged by the general cluster-fuckery than by the thread titles. And we're always getting new members! Look at how nice citrus has fit in round these parts over the last month!
(basically what GI said. What the hell are you on about?)

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Maaik

« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

Yeah, the only time odd thread titles bother me is when they reveal nothing about what the thread's actually about.  This one at least mentions it.  And as far as discouraging potential new members, until I see evidence of that, I'm just gonna say it's probably not true.  Like Grace said, of all the things that might deflect membership, the thread titles are kinda the least of it.

And hey, y'know, fuck those people anyway.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »

I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain that one to me.

I put off joining for a long time because the forum was really confusing and it was hard to figure out what was going on. It's like all the thread titles are inside jokes that nobody else gets.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »

And generally, the thread titles just strike me as pitiful attempts at being clever.

guanajuato

« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »

just saw this this morning.  we're sure there's no connection right?

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances

cause when i read this:

i wasn't so sure.  also this:

Plus, as anyone who's heard five seconds of this band already knows, he sounds like Conor Oberst screaming from the bowels of hell. However, to peg these guys as "emo" would be sadly inaccurate. Sure, torn diary page scribbles clutter Airing's heart-on-sleeve, fist-in-air anthems, but the drama's more Boss than Bright Eyes, fueled by blue collar frustration and, most notably, beer.

guys, bands are just materializing out of lptj vitriol.  watch what you say.  or say more of it. 

that's a pretty great album, there. i didn't think it was gonna be, but it is. i kinda love it actually. i been sending the song titus adronicus to friends via email to try and convince them to hear the rest. i mean i haven't liked any records for a while, and this one did it for me.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
guanajuato

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »

And generally, the thread titles just strike me as pitiful attempts at being clever.

or clever attempts at being pitiful? ah, i'll be here all week, folks.

you're arguing for more accessibility in order to bring in less clever people. i think? but then it wouldn't be a place where clever outsiders flocked regularly.
you're arguing against the very nature of why people continue to flock here regularly.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »

Whatever. My main point is that these thread titles are fucking annoying.

guanajuato

« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2008, 10:07:17 PM »

well why didn't you say that in the first place instead of going into this 'laypeople will not feel comfortable therefore population growth estimates will be down' bastard.

Babar

« Reply #24 on: Apr 26, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »

i like thread titles with references to pop culture. i don't really get the title of this thread. i love the title of the np thread.

edit: one thing i don't like about thread titles is when they have the word "new", "more" or "again" in them. because the word becomes obsolete after a while when the thread stops being the new thread about video games and is simply a thread about video games or what have you. every other thread is labeled as new. this annoys a lot more than silly thread titles.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008, 10:40:04 PM by Babar » Logged

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: In the Key of Your Favorite Alphabet Letter (Chromatic) Music, Random.
Jump to: