Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:50:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Author Topic: Happiness Is a Warm Post: The Happy Thread  (Read 109698 times)
jess

« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »

Also, back on topic, a 12 oz drink at starbucks used to a be their large (it's called a tall after all). I remember when they had the 8 oz "short" option, and then they added the 16 oz "grande." I guess when they invented the term "venti" they got rid of the short? But basically, there is no "small" at starbucks according the names, just varying degrees of large. I do remember being struck by how relatively small all the drinks were in Europe, and I could never understand how Europeans weren't always dehydrated (not so much related to the size of coffees, but water and everything else was served in very small amounts compared to how much Americans drink too).
alex

« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »

I love how Europeans can be so snooty about the metric system when it is they who invented it and it is they who still have the successor to whichever monarch's arm it was originally based on printed on their money.

NOW WHO'S BACKWARD, MONARCHISTS?!

Heh. If Robert had been snotty about the metric system, he hardly would have pointed out that a pound was a measurement of weight to him, considering that an ounce is not a metric unit at all.

And, oh, Ireland is not a monarchy.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

They's a FIGHTarchy

think 'on the road.'
diesel_powered

« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

Technically, I was refering to "Europeans" in the general and abstract, not "Robert the Irishman". Although now that I think about it, it's pretty much the U.K, the Netherlands (previous to the Euro), and Australia who are all about putting monarchy on the money. And Australia doesn't really count as Europe. But it's not like that area of the world has been a constitutional democracy since the beginning of time.

But back OT, the Italians invented the term "venti" because they needed a word for "twenty".

The Starbucks size refers to a twenty ounce drink (or in the case of an iced drink, 24 ounce as that makes room for twenty ounces of drink and four ounces of ice).

As far as the lack of "small" option, I'd hazard a guess that it might be a construction of the marketing office as "small" could be perceived as "inferior" and no brand wants that associated with their product. In addition, it is my understanding that the "short" size was originally introduced just for single cappuccino servings (one shot of espresso with similar amounts of milk and foam make about eight ounces) and as the customer is always right, customers were able to order other drinks in that size as well. Considering the paradox of the "iced caramel macchiato", I'm fairly certain that Starbucks has become more concerned with saving money as a company than with tradition and consequently, they've eliminated the eight ounce cups in order to save money.

While I have no verification as to the truth of the whole cup issue, I've heard a Slate podcast hazarding a similar guess as to their thought process with eliminating eight ounce cups. Furthermore, it has been my experience that most decisions made by a business that are viewed as apocryphal by the consumer (i.e. urban legends about KFC) are actually merely rooted in business pragmatism.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:33:15 PM by diesel_powered » Logged

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Doctor Bob

« Reply #479 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:58 PM »

but anyway, doctor bob, since you're feeling too pretentious to answer my question as i originally phrased it, how about you tell me what a small is in drams or however you measure them in ireland

Not pretentious; I'm having a literalist day.

Also, relax.

Also, alex- Have I told you lately that I love you?

(Maaan, these Yanks can be a touchy bunch.)

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

Also, relax.

i know, i know, what's that roast beef line? something like "i'm sorry baby i just been real on edge lately". definitely true for me over the past couple days.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #481 on: May 19, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »

Roast beef?  Are you calling me British?!?!

(This is another joke, btw.  Heading home from work now, so I wanted to clarify in advance.  Sweet dreams baby.)

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Greg Nog

« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

Smalls in my country walk to market to get fresh food every day, which is why they're never fat, unlike American porky smalls.

French dudes also walk several miles each way to buy an artichoke or a fig
hannah

« Reply #483 on: May 19, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »

I am in New York City and two or so days out of the LPTJ loop. What up. Did some genealogical shit with my momma today and found out I'm totally related to this woman, who fought in the Revolutionary War and stuff. Hey-o, America. How is it hanging.

Now I should do some work for that job I'm here for; yes, I'm happy.
Ignatius

« Reply #484 on: May 19, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »

Also, back on topic, a 12 oz drink at starbucks used to a be their large (it's called a tall after all). I remember when they had the 8 oz "short" option, and then they added the 16 oz "grande."

Up until a few years ago (?) you could still ask for the short option at most Starbuck's, it's just not advertised (but saying small usually gets you a tall)...  It's been a while since I last went to that store, they may no longer do it.  Rumor has it that it's somehow more caffeinated than a tall, grande, etc.  but I don't know if I buy that. 

I just found out that my mom was once given an espresso maker in appreciation of her x years of service as a nurse.  Now that espresso maker is sitting unused and unclaimed in a closet, and it shall be mine.  That makes me happy.
jebreject

« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »

Maaan, these Yanks can be a touchy bunch.

I thought it was hilarious, for what it's worth

I'm annoyed, however, that Jess beat me to correcting Andrew about a fluid ounce being a measurement of volume, not weight. GodDAMN you, Jess.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
sassymcassface

« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »

i am happy because i leave here in 15 minutes, and i'm going to smoke a wonderful cigarette and ride the bus home and eat lots of food while laying in bed and drinking beer.

sometimes mondays are great.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
girl

« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »

So remember how I injured my beloved phone by dropping it into a cup of coffee and the keyboard wouldn't work? Guess what. She fixed herself! Guys, my phone's the final Cylon! (I'm so happy it's working that I just ordered a new trackball and a new door)

this is a story and you're not in it
Bernard

« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »

Phones are bad dudes. I ran mine through the washer and dryer and it still works, while my fucking ipod which got dunked for a second is totally muerto.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »

Well, a phone's a relatively simple piece of machinery, especially compared to an ipod.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Babar

« Reply #490 on: May 20, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »

oh man, my ipod hasn't worked for a week now and i don't think it will ever again Sad

ot: happy!

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Bernard

« Reply #491 on: May 20, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »

Well, a phone's a relatively simple piece of machinery, especially compared to an ipod.

But my phone is also a still and video camera, as well as mp3 player!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #492 on: May 20, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »

yes, but it's not a hard disk drive

alexandra

« Reply #493 on: May 20, 2008, 08:00:29 PM »

i saw a mutual friend of mine and milesofsparks on the subway home today. It made me very happy.

this message is now diamonds
Good Intentions

« Reply #494 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

A cellphone is probably the most advanced piece of equipment you're likely to come in contact with. They're staggeringly complicated.

However, computers are a lot of simple things put together in simple ways cramped on extremely small boards, and the pathways on those boards are much more sensitive to dirt and damage than those on a cellphone. Also, hard disk drives love to fail.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:40:37 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #495 on: May 20, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »

He PUNKED YOU blucas

You actin like a little bitch right now

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #496 on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

I realised he might be referring to the hard disk drives, which are also very simple but don't handle physical stress well at all.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #497 on: May 20, 2008, 08:43:21 PM »

blucas he smoked your gotdamn cousin right in front of you nigga

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #498 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

Moving parts are more prone to failure in my experience, though of course circuit board corrosion due to being submerged in a sink full of dishwater or similar will kill any of those devices.  But yeah I'm guessing blucas was referring to the failure rate of the hard drives.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #499 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

I realised he might be referring to the hard disk drives, which are also very simple but don't handle physical stress well at all.

Yeah, this is really what I meant.  "machinery" ie there are a lot of physical, moving parts.  Not in terms of sophistication. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:47:41 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Happiness Is a Warm Post: The Happy Thread
Jump to: