Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 30, 2014, 07:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658063 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: When you just cant be sure  (Read 2532 times)
G.C.R

« on: Apr 29, 2008, 11:48:12 PM »

New UNCERTAIN THREAD

I missed both my lectures today, I feel like I havent been to a Spanish lecture for a very very long time
However it was because I was working on my Assignment and I meant to got but lost track of the time.
Does that mean the scales of the universe balance out who can say who can say.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
citrus

« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »

transplanted from the old uncertainty thread because i didn't know this was here:

I'm going up to the Bay Area next week to investigate a room in a house I want to stay in this summer and next year for graduate school. I guess the idea is to make sure I'm a good fit with the people? I've never done this before, and I'm kind of nervous. I think I'm competing with a couple other people for the room. I have a couple of other options but this is ideal price-wise, location-wise, and I would like it there according to a friend.

You're goddamn right I'm uncertain though. I hope I don't fuck up something somehow.

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
G.C.R

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2008, 05:47:20 PM »

Sorry didnt mean the stupid title to be misleading, I was just getting tired of ones that ran the form of blah be de blah: new Blah de blah thread

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
C of heartbreak

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »

I don't feel too great, and I've got work tonight. I might call in sick but my supervisor might ask for a doctor's note and it's not really the type of sick I'd go to a doctor for.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »

I know this has been kind of a constant theme around here lately, but:

Dashing off a five page paper in three hours and not really giving enough of a shit to justify every point or section and just turning it in as is? Yeah. It's time for school to be over for a while. I don't think I've ever done that in four years of writing lit papers.

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 05:56:16 AM »

My dad just phoned me to tell me that he's quitting his job in Whangerei (2 hours north) to go move in with his g/f in Taumaranui (5 hrs south). Though he doesn't have a job there yet, he says that the driving too and fro most every weekend is bad for his health and his bank balance, which is fair enough.

Reasons I am uncertain:
My mom and dad only split up quite recently, about 18 months ago, and my dad almost immidiatly hooked up with this woman, though it was my mom that initiated the split which caught him a bit by surprise, so its not like he was itching to run off with the mistress. My dad never had a serious relationship other than my mom until the new woman in his life. My brother and I are both in agreement that my dad has hooked up with this new woman, lovely as she might be (we don't know her - she lives 5 hrs south, remember) on his rebound. My dad is quitting his job to go live with his rebound girlfriend, embracing an uncertain future. It's good to know that not only us young folk go and do romantic but perhaps ill-considered things like this. It's good material for emotional literature of every sort. But it is making me uncertain.
Maaik

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »

One of the reporters at the station is leaving to work for Paste magazine.  He's the producer for Morning Edition, so his job's about to get posted.  The news director pulled me into his office this afternoon and basically told me that I should apply.

I am not a journalist--I haven't done anything like that since I worked on the high school newspaper.  And then, I did the music reviews.

BUT--I'm basically 2/3 qualified for the position.  I've got hella editing experience, I've got some script writing experience under my belt, I've got a couple pretty decent 2-3 minute pieces that made air in my portfolio.  I'm honing my interview skills and I've gotten pretty familiar with the "public radio style" in the near year and a half I've been at the station.

Had a phone conversation with the current ME producer today and he had a lot of really good advice--walked me through his typical morning, talked me through some of the ins and outs and was pretty encouraging.  I mean, I'm almost five years this guy's senior, so age doesn't really enter into it.

After I hung up, my confidence was at once boosted, but I was badly in need of a drink.  So tMO and I went out for a bourbon and a sandwich and talked about it.  I NEED a full time job, and while this wasn't the way I saw myself advancing at the station, I may not get another opportunity like this and I need to jump at it.

So yeah, fuck it, I'm going for it and I'm a little scared, guys.  Shit is a huge step.

I need anne the man lessons
G.C.R

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »

Yay Maaik!

Maaik

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

THAT IS MY NEW WALLPAPER THANK YOU GRACE.

G.C.R

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

Do you have the book? I'm getting a major lones for it now, I was just reading the wiki entry on it. First edition in good nick worth $360US. I also recently realised that when Hoshi is acting up and I say to her "Night is not a time for Play, Night is a Time for Sleep" it must be from that.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »

My dad just phoned me to tell me that he's quitting his job in Whangerei (2 hours north) to go move in with his g/f in Taumaranui (5 hrs south). Though he doesn't have a job there yet, he says that the driving too and fro most every weekend is bad for his health and his bank balance, which is fair enough.

Reasons I am uncertain:
My mom and dad only split up quite recently, about 18 months ago, and my dad almost immidiatly hooked up with this woman, though it was my mom that initiated the split which caught him a bit by surprise, so its not like he was itching to run off with the mistress. My dad never had a serious relationship other than my mom until the new woman in his life. My brother and I are both in agreement that my dad has hooked up with this new woman, lovely as she might be (we don't know her - she lives 5 hrs south, remember) on his rebound. My dad is quitting his job to go live with his rebound girlfriend, embracing an uncertain future. It's good to know that not only us young folk go and do romantic but perhaps ill-considered things like this. It's good material for emotional literature of every sort. But it is making me uncertain.

its good for old farts to do shit like that sometimes.  future be damned

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
difficult

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »

Maaik, job sounds good, and you're gregarious enough that you should be able to pull it off laughing, really. Reporters for radio/ TV get pulled from all kinds of places, because its not an obvious combination of talents ( I actually trained as a print journalist years ago but only did a little work in the area before deciding I didnt really want to)
If they believe that you're a good applicant, then you probably are. And if you don't like it, you can go back to the stuff you've been doing, and you'll have good potential paths there too.
Also most journalists won't tend to have your technical expertise, so that's an area you can keep in mind as a greater level of skill you'll have already.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
silentsigh89

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »

Reasons I am uncertain:

yeah, it's troubling when parents do such things. My mother has recently been talking about moving to Tennessee where her boyfriend (who is now has custody of a 9 year old son he's never met) may have a different factory job. I certainly don't have the life experience to be all "BAD IDEA", but it's hard to be supportive when your "eeek!!" alarms are going off. Best of luck!
Greg Nog

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 07:37:52 AM »

MAAAAAAIIIIIK

DOOOOO IT

THIS WILL RULE
alexandra

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

agreed.

this message is now diamonds
Maaik

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »

I'm gonna go for it; my producer is encouraging and hopes he can keep me on production staff half-time, which I'd prefer since there are a couple projects there that are my babies.

Only con I'm wrestling with is that I'd have to get to the station every morning at 5.  For me, that'd mean getting up at... jesus christ, at 3.

Good Intentions

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »

Hey, if andronicus can do it, then it can ruin your life as well.
Augo

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »

Holy shit man, if it took me two hours between getting up and clocking in at work I'd go crazy.  I usually roll my ass out of bed 25 minutes before my shift starts, do the whole face/teeth/hair thing, speed and weave in and out of traffic, and have just enough time to buy a drink out of the vending machine before I clock in.

Of course, looking presentable at my job consists of wearing a t-shirt with no more than four holes in it and making sure your uglier wounds are at least sort of dressed.

Good luck with everything though, it sounds like a killer opportunity. 

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
Greg Nog

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »

Only con I'm wrestling with is that I'd have to get to the station every morning at 5.  For me, that'd mean getting up at... jesus christ, at 3.

I used to do that when I was a skycap, and I kinda loved it.  I had to be at work at 4:30 each morning, but then I'd be out at 12:30, and the rest of the day was mine until 7:30-ish, when I would go to bed.  I liked that.
andronicus

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

Hey, if andronicus can do it, then it can ruin your life as well.
Hey, I like being miserable.  It is a thing with me.
Maaik

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 10:31:42 PM »

I used to do that when I was a skycap, and I kinda loved it.  I had to be at work at 4:30 each morning, but then I'd be out at 12:30, and the rest of the day was mine until 7:30-ish, when I would go to bed.  I liked that.

That's what the outgoing guy said--he described it as being like getting out of school for Christmas break a week before anyone else where you kind of have the town to yourself.  Only it's like that all the time.

I need to get my car running again--our public transportation doesn't start up until 5am.

At any rate, I met with my current producer this morning to discuss this possible change in direction.  He was encouraging, but we'd both want me to stay on my current projects should I get the job because... well, because I'm awesome at what I do and if I switched departments there'd be a void.

I'm asking permission to shadow the outgoing sometime next week.  I'm going to get ahold of the application and work on that and my reel.  In the very least, this'll be a good show of ambition.

Thank you everyone for thinkin enough of me to be encouraging.

Greg Nog

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »

being like getting out of school for Christmas break a week before anyone else where you kind of have the town to yourself.  Only it's like that all the time.

Man, the roads are all kinds of clear, no one's around, a person just SAILS through them green lights.
andronicus

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 10:50:55 PM »

My favorite thing is that I pass by the same lady sleeping at the bus stop and the same lady walking her dog (which she yells at constantly in a most hilarious manner; "Lulu, don't you be messin' around, you're gonna trip me!  Lulu just go ahead and pee!") on my way to work in the mornings. 
jebreject

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 04:46:06 AM »

why you gotta pick on lulu, man.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dumbfish

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »

Go Maaik.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: When you just cant be sure
Jump to: