Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 18, 2014, 09:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658012 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: (m)et al.  (Read 9659 times)
Kelp Murmur

« on: May 03, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

I know there've been other threads like this, but I hope peeps might re-up some suggested buys, classic or contemporary, for a metal noob. I own:

Black Sabbath, first three albums
Converge, Jane Doe & You Fail Me
Slayer, Reign in Blood & South of Heaven
Immortal, Sons of Northern Darkness
Enslaved, Isa
Mastodon, Leviathan & Blood Mountain
Motörhead, No Remorse
Iron Maiden, Powerslave
Guns n Roses, Appetite
Decapitated, Nihility
Disfear, Live the Storm
Emperor, Anthems to the Welkin
Death, Sound of Perseverance
High on Fire, Surrounded by Thieves & Death Is This Communion
Opeth, Blackwater Park & Ghost Reveries
Deathspell Omega, Fas -- Ite
Tweet, Southern Hummingbird
Darkthrone, Blaze
Boris, Pink
Behemoth, Apostasy
Meshuggah, obZen
Pig Destroyer, Phantom Limb

& other stuff, like Lightning Bolt, Zep, Black Mountain, & QotSA, that I'm not sure would qualify as metal. What totally, like, necessary shit am I missing out on? Thanks!

Murk! Now with 40% more self-aggrandizement.
Bubbachups

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »

A lot slower than what you've listed above but in a way it's still metal and I think you'll appreciate it nonetheless:

Nadja - Touched

Listen to it on the label's website: Alien8
davy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »

two from last year that i enjoyed:

WATAIN sworn to the dark

BERGRAVEN dodsvisioner

not necessarily in that order.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
John
edit0r

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »

you need Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger for sure

early Katatonia is also key, try the Brave Yester Days comp - amazing guitar lines. They completely lost the plot later though.

Dissection you probably wanna look into.

Also, Atheist, Unquestionable Presence, and Coroner, Mental Vortex - these are old early death metal (Coroner's not really death, kinda progressive thrash maybe? incredible band anyway)
John
edit0r

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

or you could get Katatonia's Dance of December Souls  - single disc, has some of the songs that're on Brave Yester Days, is awesome
dieblucasdie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

Buy the other Immortal albums

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Good Intentions

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:03:09 PM »

That's not a bad start you've made. I don't see any Morbid Angel albums on there, though, and you need to fix that pretty goddamn immidiatly. Gateways to Annihilation is my favourite, but Covenant and Blessed are the Sick also get a lot of love, and the fact of the matter is that you need all of them, except Heretic.

I also recommend Sleep - Jerusalem (Dopesmoker has a better cover, take it if you can get it). If you want some newer black metal, I really recommend Melechesh (try Emmissaries) and 1349 (I like Hellfire a lot).
Kelp Murmur

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »

I need all the Morbid Angel albums? I had Blessed at one point -- John's emusic metal list is a good primer -- but I don't know what happened to it. Also, hi, GI. Hope you're well. Thanks for all the recs so far people.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:09:30 PM by Kelp Murmur » Logged

andronicus

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

!!!
Good Intentions

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »

Yes?
Kelp Murmur

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

I think he's either seconding or expressing astonishment at the suggestion.

Good Intentions

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »

Frost drums for them, ergo, they rock. Pretty bilstery stuff.
coldforge

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 08:36:29 PM »

THE YEAR THE BLACK PLAGUE CAME TO NORWAY

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Good Intentions

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

Yeah, as metal names go, it's a keeper.
davy

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Frost drums for them, ergo, they rock.

the logic is sound.

WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 11:30:46 PM »

John, when ever you are in Boston and hear someone yell Transilvanian Hunger......it might be someone.....who posts here....  Shifty

anyway, I've been on a Nocturnus kick lately.  Their album The Key is beautiful.  For those who don't know, they were an early Florida death metal band and were one of the first to go full fledged into synth and science fiction within that style of music.  It's amazing to hear how this band could be one of the first to use keyboards AND have enough sense to not sound lame as hell.  

Puddle Pants
jebreject

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »

I had a pretty big list typed up, but the internet ate it, so I'll just hit on what other people missed: the first three Entombed records are fucking crucial. Wolverine Blues is probably the best of those, and it has "Out of Hand" which has the best use of the word "fuck" on any record ever, period. Ulver is one of those black-metal-gone-all-prog-and-psychedelic bands and they are fantastic. I like all of their records considerably. Carcass is pretty essential as well, particularly Heartwork. And on the grind tip, can't forget Napalm Death. I generally only rep hard for Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration, but there are plenty of people who like the rest of it better than those two. Those records are pretty much the foundations of grind, though. Neurosis is one of my favorite bands, and they haven't had a bad record yet. Souls at Zero, Enemy of the Sun and Times of Grace are essential. And you're gonna wanna stock up on the Melvins, of course, but it's really hard for me to single out which records you absolutely need, 'cause me telling you that you need all of them isn't very helpful. Looks like you're also really lacking in the thrash department, so definitely pick up some Metallica (first four albums), Megadeth (through Rust in Peace), Anthrax (first three albums), and Sepultura (everything through Roots). You need need NEED some Venom,Black Metal and At War With Satan for sure. I could go on for a while about crossover as well, but this is already getting stupidly long, so I'll just recommend real quick checking out Septic Death, DRI, and Stormtroopers of Death. Oh, you should pick up Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power as well.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »

man, i didn't dig venom at all.

Babar

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 11:57:07 PM »

i've been getting into metal little by little, you would think threads like these would help me pick my next metal purchase(s) but they just make me more unsure. there are so many albums i HAVE TO have. i'm set on transylvanian hunger at least.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
jebreject

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

Oh god, I know this list has gotta be pretty overwhelming already, but I really like doom/stoner/sludge/southern/drone, etc. stuff, so I also have to recommend Acid Bath, Eyehategod, Corrosion of Conformity, Electric Wizard, Ufomammut, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Cathedral, Earth, Sunn O))), Katatonia, Jesu. Strongly seconding the Sleep recommendation, and I'm gonna say, you definitely need more Boris albums.

Oh, and just because we're talking about metal and no one has said it yet, the first three Danzig records are fantastic.

Also Davy is wrong about Venom.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 01:02:02 AM »

Oh, and just because we're talking about metal and no one has said it yet, the first four Danzig records are fantastic.

made truer.

guanajuato

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »

danzig's great.

for more contemporary stuff, wolves in the throne room are good shit.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Ignatius

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 01:37:43 AM »

There's entirely too much good metal.  Someone needs to write a textbook.  I see no other solution.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »

There's entirely too much good metal.  Someone needs to write a textbook.  I see no other solution.

That's so not metal.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Ignatius

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 01:47:58 AM »

There's entirely too much good metal.  Someone needs to bleed.  I see no other solution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: (m)et al.
Jump to: