Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657772 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Foods We Ate  (Read 29582 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #350 on: Jul 30, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »

I think the last few replies kinda outline my point: when I occasionally eat meat (only seafood and pork), it's not because I'm being a "lazy vegetarian" or because I'm "breaking vegan" or otherwise stepping outside some rigid dietary boundary.  For me occasionally (no more than once a week) indulging myself with non-vegetables falls perfectly within the boundaries I've laid out for myself, but at the same time I don't really identify as a vegetarian or as an omnivore...but unfortunately we live in a society where you're expected to be able to define yourself with a word or two that can be implicitly understood by other people without you having to break down everything about you.  It's not ideal and it kinda sucks, but I'm mainly just rhapsodizing on this phenomenon, was wondering a while back what to call myself and "flexitarian" seemed to fit the best.

And these are significant differences, too.  For instance, I initially went full-on veggie not for animal rights reasons (truth is I'm indifferent/ambivalent at best about the animal rights movement) but because of personal health concerns...which for most vegetarians is like checking into a Holiday Inn just for the complimentary USA Today.  So I didn't identify with those folks at the outset, and esp. not after I started reincorporating wild-caught fish and shrimp and oysters and the like back into my diet.

So this whole labeling thing arose not out of some sort of emo "NEEDS TOS DEFINES MEsELFS", as Wally so eloquently put it, but more out of thinking about how people expect you to be able to identify different aspects of yourself as concisely as possible, and then wondering what I'd call myself since I don't "feel" like an omnivore "or" a vegetarian.  That's basically it folks

triple paisley minimum
Wally

« Reply #351 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:01:05 PM »

Thermo, you called me eloquent! Just for that I won't ever eat you when I break veg! Heart

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Wally

« Reply #352 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »

Does a god damn page break count as meat?

Good Intentions

« Reply #353 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »

but unfortunately we live in a society where you're expected to be able to define yourself with a word or two that can be implicitly understood by other people without you having to break down everything about you
Dear heavens, why?

It seems like you're forcing yourself into a situation and then wringing your hands about how to get out of it.

For the majority of people for the majority of history eating meat only very occasionally is 'life as usual'.
alex

« Reply #354 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »

Yes, but I only started this new diet a month ago. During which time I've not actually left Nottingham, but yes I suppose I should add Maastricht to that list, because it'd be hard to resist those damn pancakes.

Heh, sorry for making you look like you're talking to myself - I'd concluded my joke wasn't all that funny and removed the post, not knowing you were already replying to it. London, Italy and Gulpen it is then.

Thermofusion - well, that's fine and all, it's just that to me it seems perfectly concise to say "I eat meat every now and then". If you turn this into a still relatively concise "I eat meat every now and then, and then only seafood and pork", it has the added advantage of actually giving people a precise idea of what you do and don't eat. But, I mean, if you find "flexitarian" more elegant than that, I guess that's your call.

(x-post with GI, who I also kinda agree with)
jebreject

« Reply #355 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:10:32 PM »

But Thermo, I guess I don't understand how "flexitarian" actually does that?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Wally

« Reply #356 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »

Having know a few flexitarian's in my time I can only assume that Thermo does yoga and only eats the meat of animals of which he can bend himself into the shape of.

alex, tis cool, I'd not even noticed you'd removed your post and I assume our gentle readers would not have battered an eye lid ('cept Greg who batters everything) at me talking to myself.

Thermofusion

« Reply #357 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »

For the majority of people for the majority of history eating meat only very occasionally is 'life as usual'.

Which would be well and good if I lived in aboriginal Indonesia but I currently live in the American South where "meat and two sides" is basically what many people eat for every single meal.  This is relevant because while my city is relatively enlightened, the surrounding countryside (where I do most of my business for the company I work for) is impoverished, sorta culturally backwards (in some cases willingly so, others not) and believe it or not the odd looks I got from clients I was meeting with out in the middle of pig farm country when I only ate a salad at whatever passed for a "business lunch" was enough to make me feel self-conscious in a way that I wouldn't back home.  And a fair number of these folks are of the "good ol' boy" variety; you can sense the alienation in their eyes when you cop to being a vegetarian.

The nice thing about saying "flexitarian" is that after these folks get over their initial puzzlement and ask me what that means, I can sorta reassure them by explaining it but adding that I can get down with some Eastern NC style BBQ just as much as they can.  The culture out in those places is built around the local diner being the social athenaeum for everything from business to gossip to simply getting to know strangers, and for many of these highly conservative people I think it does me some service to be able to distinguish myself in a way that will 1) better explain why it is I'm not digging into a blue plate special and 2) hopefully make them comfortable around me (yes, I WILL try some of that pork, come to think of it) and not view me so much as an outsider (I have to go out of my way not to give off the impression of a liberal urban type with a superiority complex...which I'm not but probably can come across as).  On a personal level, I could give a rat's ass what they think of me but on a professional level this seeming minutiae is the sort of thing I obsess over.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #358 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »

I will add that alex or whoever is right: it kind of comes down to an internal monologue.  An ongoing one at that.  And I feel a little embarrassed actually bringing it up and allowing myself to get this involved in a discussion about it in what's supposed to be a pleasantly superficial (in a good way) thread about delicious foodstuffs

triple paisley minimum
Wally

« Reply #359 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

I've quite enjoyed your brief discussion, and will not eat you. Unless this thread goes through a postage lean period at which point I'll cook you as part of a tasty jalfrezi and take pictures to post. A thermo jalfrezi.

Ignatius

« Reply #360 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »

Thermo, it's almost like you're suggesting that there are circumstances... in the world?  That make you need words?
Wally

« Reply #361 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »

Why are you trying to stir? Just let this simmer and maybe cool down so we can sprinkle some coriander on it later.

girl

« Reply #362 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

Are there really two pages of arguments about the made up term "flexitarian"?

I've been wanting ice cream for days, and I finally remembered to buy some, so I plan to have ice cream for dinner. Woo!

this is a story and you're not in it
Thermofusion

« Reply #363 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

I seriously apologize for the thread derail guys.  And yeah, the term does reek of "invented for a poor Slate op-ed" but it was the best I could dig up.

Speaking of ice cream, I need to find those Edy's bite size things someone diesel or rockme or someone posted earlier

triple paisley minimum
Ignatius

« Reply #364 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »

Sorry, Wally...  I didn't mean to mock anyone or their particular statements, just to say something stupid and diversionary.  Maybe not so thoughtful on my part.  As for food - what can I do with these fancy-store zucchinis/summer squash they gave me?  I've neither a grill nor do I care for ratatouille just now (the only two zucchini-starring preparations I've ever had)...  Any suggestions that wouldn't involve spending a lot of money at the grocery store for unusual things?
alex

« Reply #365 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

I seriously apologize for the thread derail guys.  And yeah, the term does reek of "invented for a poor Slate op-ed" but it was the best I could dig up.

Hey, for what it's worth, I also thought it was an interesting discussion.

Also, I do believe you are the only person on here Wally has promised to probably not eat, so that's gotta count for something.
Wally

« Reply #366 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »

Sorry, Wally...  I didn't mean to mock anyone or their particular statements, just to say something stupid and diversionary.  Maybe not so thoughtful on my part.  As for food - what can I do with these fancy-store zucchinis/summer squash they gave me?  I've neither a grill nor do I care for ratatouille just now (the only two zucchini-starring preparations I've ever had)...  Any suggestions that wouldn't involve spending a lot of money at the grocery store for unusual things?

It's cool, stupid and diversionary are the corner stones of any decent civilisation.

Ignatius

« Reply #367 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

Thermofusion:  In the novelty section of your grocer's freezer...  Have you ever had those popsicle/ice cream bars that have a milk chocolate shell coating vanilla ice cream on a stick?  Sometimes with little Nestle Crunch pieces embedded in the shell?  It's exactly that, without the stick, and thimble sized.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #368 on: Jul 30, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »

I made...

Halved caramelized local vine ripened tomatoes atop a bed of brown rice steamed with tomato quarters.  And some black beans I heated up in a pot and smashed with the bottom of a beer bottle and heavily salted and put in a tortilla shell with cheeeeese.

(to caramelize a tomato, you simply cut her in half, sprinkle her with a healthy helping of sugar, and stick her face down on a well greased pan.  You may also stick her under the broiler.)
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008, 08:42:40 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Maaik

« Reply #369 on: Jul 30, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »

i am eating a toasted PB & BBQ sauce sandwich and it is delightful.

seriously try it

I need anne the man lessons
heather marie

« Reply #370 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »

By the by, I hate the term "freegan" most of all.

I really don't mind "flexitarian" so much (in fact, I have no opinion on it one way or another) but I do hate "freegan" for sure.
morgan

« Reply #371 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »

As for food - what can I do with these fancy-store zucchinis/summer squash they gave me?  I've neither a grill nor do I care for ratatouille just now (the only two zucchini-starring preparations I've ever had)...  Any suggestions that wouldn't involve spending a lot of money at the grocery store for unusual things?

Make curry with them!  Zucchini is delicious in curry, so I'd imagine summer squash would be, as well.

If that's not your thing, I made up a dish a few days ago that's quite delicious and involves both vegetables:

1/2 cup rice
1 cup chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 small summer squashes, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
fresh basil, salt & pepper to taste

I browned the rice a little and then let it cook for a while in the chicken broth, then threw everything else in and just let it simmer for quite a while.  It's yummy!
Ignatius

« Reply #372 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

cool beans! I have half of those things or reasonable equivalents, and whatever else I need certainly looks cheap enough.  Thanks a bunch, I'll make it tomorrow. 
girl

« Reply #373 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

http://www.lollyphile.com/maple-bacon.php

this is a story and you're not in it
G.C.R

« Reply #374 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »

As for food - what can I do with these fancy-store zucchinis/summer squash they gave me?  I've neither a grill nor do I care for ratatouille just now (the only two zucchini-starring preparations I've ever had)...  Any suggestions that wouldn't involve spending a lot of money at the grocery store for unusual things?

Make curry with them!  Zucchini is delicious in curry, so I'd imagine summer squash would be, as well.

If that's not your thing, I made up a dish a few days ago that's quite delicious and involves both vegetables:

1/2 cup rice
1 cup chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 small summer squashes, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
fresh basil, salt & pepper to taste

I browned the rice a little and then let it cook for a while in the chicken broth, then threw everything else in and just let it simmer for quite a while.  It's yummy!

If they are big ones, you could also try stuffing them. With things like couscous...onion...currants, all cooked up together, and maybe some chesse, and then you bake them.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Foods We Ate
Jump to: