Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 01:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657765 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: GBV OCD  (Read 49644 times)
sashwap

« Reply #50 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »

the new robert pollard single. "the butler stands for all of us," is pretty cool. the a-side is just another beautiful, epic, brilliant pop song, but the b-side is a handful of weird acoustic nuggets (and one full band rocker) that could be a GBV EP from 1993. great stuff.
sashwap

« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

robert pollard's new album the crawling distance is really good. it's a marked improvement on his latest solo albums and i think maybe some other people on this board besides me will like it!

once you hear it, let's discuss.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »

I didn't think it was out yet; damn you and your tantalizing advance copies, sashwap! I do like "Imaginary Queen Anne" a hell of a lot, though, and if the rest of the album is on par with it, I'll be quite happy.

Will get the album day of release and report back.
sashwap

« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »

checkout "it's easy" on the semi-official myspace: http://www.myspace.com/robertepollardjr

i already like it quite bit better than off to business, which i really enjoy but think sags slightly in the middle and leans too heavily on classic rock for my taste.

the crawling distance is lighter and has more of a beatles/syd barrett/60's/psychedelic feel, which is more up my alley.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2009, 11:49:07 AM by sashwap » Logged
auto-da-fey

« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »

the crawling distance is lighter and has more of a beatles/syd barrett/60's/psychedelic feel, which is more up my alley.

digging it so far--three listens in--though I'm not sure I'd have put it in those exact terms. I do wish he had shunted "Cave Zone" off to a Takeovers EP or something; it's jarring in a bad way at track 2 here. closing with "too much fun" is also a little offputting--hoping for another "Go for the Exit" was maybe foolish, but I prefer the more melancholy, acoustic stuff on this album.

I do like it quite a bit, though; if Bob's gonna sacrifice fragmented transcendence for polished consistency, he could certainly do far worse than this.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

"Imaginary Queen Anne" has been reminding me of something else ever since you posted it. I think I just got it--"when you get sober" floated into my mind, and it turns out to be "Under the Blacklight" by Rilo Kiley. Do you hear that too, or is it just me?
sashwap

« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

"Imaginary Queen Anne" has been reminding me of something else ever since you posted it. I think I just got it--"when you get sober" floated into my mind, and it turns out to be "Under the Blacklight" by Rilo Kiley. Do you hear that too, or is it just me?

i'm not familiar with the rilo kiley tune, but "imaginary queen anne" has grown on me a lot -- the lyrics and melody are something only a true master could write.

also, yeah..."cave zone" Sad
auto-da-fey

« Reply #57 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »

I can't quite form an opinion on the new Boston Spaceships album, but I haven't really given it a close enough listen yet. Some of this recycling-songs stuff leaves me a bit cold; "Catherine from Mid-October" was already such a nice little gem, it didn't this treatment here.

I am, however, a bit too excited about the forthcoming Circus Devils album:

CIRCUS DEVILS proves that accessibility and experimentation can go hand in hand on
GRINGO, an acoustic song cycle with a 1970's Morricone-esque Southwestern flavor. You
can almost smell the sage brush and gasoline on every track. Robert Pollard and the Tobias
brothers bring us the story of the Gringo with moods ranging from jubilant to melancholy to
mean, all wrapped in the trademark Circus Devils palette of exotic sounds. As always, this is
not last year's Circus Devils record, but with GRINGO, this has never been more true.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #58 on: Apr 19, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »

still not feeling the Boston Spaceships album, but hot damn, I was browsing the musicblog Willfully Obscure today--today being a sort of timewastin' kinda day--and came across a few GBV obscurities I'd never before encountered. The Carefree Kitchens are a Blast is a fan-compiled collection with a great acoustic proto-"Echos Myron," and Scalping the Guru is a neat 1996 cassette-only tribute album by a bunch of bands nobody on earth (including me) remembers, with little interview/stage-patter snippets.

both are highly recommended, but I'd be happy to post a few tracks from each for the non-devout who don't want to track them down in their entireties, just let me know.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #59 on: Apr 19, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »

That Carefree Kitchens thing... where do the tracks come from?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
sashwap

« Reply #60 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »

still not feeling the Boston Spaceships album, but hot damn, I was browsing the musicblog Willfully Obscure today--today being a sort of timewastin' kinda day--and came across a few GBV obscurities I'd never before encountered. The Carefree Kitchens are a Blast is a fan-compiled collection with a great acoustic proto-"Echos Myron," and Scalping the Guru is a neat 1996 cassette-only tribute album by a bunch of bands nobody on earth (including me) remembers, with little interview/stage-patter snippets.

both are highly recommended, but I'd be happy to post a few tracks from each for the non-devout who don't want to track them down in their entireties, just let me know.

ha! i made carefree kitchens. it was my attempt to kill every other fan-made GBV rarity comp, because most of them are 80% redundant between each other and suitcase 1 & 2. so i just cobbled together every truly unreleased track, chucking any i don't like, while trying give it album-like flow. that's so awesome that it got around!

andrew -- the tracks are from all over. a large portion are propeller-era outtakes circa 91-92, and a handful are from an aborted, pre-under the bushes album called power of suck, circa 95-96. the rest are mostly from the 80's, (i.e. the early "echoes myron," the song "sleepers," "stumbling blocks").

most of the good stuff came from a working version of propeller called corpselike sleep of stupidity and from a rarity comp called 30 songs.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009, 09:08:06 AM by sashwap » Logged
auto-da-fey

« Reply #61 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »

ha! i made carefree kitchens.

whoa! sashwap, I bow before your postalblowfishness, and you did a great job with the "album-like flow" sequencing.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #62 on: Apr 20, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »

Oh man, now I HAVE to hear it.

sashwap

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 08:15:31 AM »

suitcase 3 was announced! december 2009. disc 4 looks pretty sweet:

Guided By Voices – Tall Take Moon (Antiquated) and Other Known Facts: Spontaneous Lo-Fly Energy Field Recordings
(Controlled Acoustic Jams 1994 – Between the Recordings of Bee Thousand And Alien Lanes except for tracks 76,77, 99 100 Bob demos for Alien Lanes.)

76. Pluto Is Polluted
77. Aquarian Hovercraft
78. Brand New Star
79. Sea-Mint Robots
80. South Rat Observatory
81. The Cinnamon Flavored Skull
82. Porpoise Mitten (Was A Real Good Kitten)
83. Mr. Spoon
84. Hey Mr. Soundman
85. Oh Ped
86. Kotex Bliss
87. Bingo Pool Hall of Blood
88. There Goes The King Again
89. Evil Vandalia/Mojo Crow
90. Cuddling Bozo’s Octopus
91. I Just Shot A Jezebel
92. After the Quake (Let’s Bake a Cake)
93. P Melts Everything
94. My Dad Is A Motorboat
95. Ugly Ba Ba
96. Hairspray Lize
97. Sawhorse With Big Blue Ears
98. Though Skin River
99. Cruise
100. Alright

Acoustic Guitars by Tobin Sprout and Greg Demos except for 76, 77, 98, 99, and 100 by Robert Pollard
Lead Vocals by Robert Pollard except for 98 by Greg Demos
Backing Vocals by Greg and Toby
davy

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2009, 11:04:10 AM »

Suitcase 3, damn.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

"Kotex Bliss" makes me cringe, and I'm a little suspicious of the "controlled acoustic jams" given those wretched Bob-and-guitar tracks that marred Suitcase 2, but at the same time, it's not like anyone is going into SC3 blind, so I'm still excited. Plus, fucking Demos on lead vocals!

sashwap, how's Gringo? I haven't gotten around to buying it yet, but I was looking forward to it more than any previous Circus Devils album.
sashwap

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »

sashwap, how's Gringo? I haven't gotten around to buying it yet, but I was looking forward to it more than any previous Circus Devils album.

only circus devils album i totally love

...which either means it's a bad circus devils album, or it's the best one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:36:06 PM by sashwap » Logged
auto-da-fey

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »

I'm gonna head out to pick that up today, I think.

In post-GBV non-news, I decided to give The Planets are Blasted another multi-spin extravaganza, but nope, it just doesn't stick with me. I still find the retooled "Catherine from Mid-October" irksome, though I have warmed up considerably to "Heavy Crown," even if it will never replace "Everywhere with Helicopter." One thing I hadn't caught before is that moment in "Keep Me Down" where Bob sings "I repudiate thee, thou venomous harpie," that's kind of a classic moment.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »

only circus devils album i totally love

...which either means it's a bad circus devils album, or it's the best one.

definitely the best, on two listens (not that it takes much, although I did miss the last Circ Dev album). I love how the flow of the album makes even something like "Arizona Blacktop Company"--which would never stand alone out of context--feel necessary. that's something Pollard has always been a master at.

also I love the cover art, it makes me think of some El Topo-inspired acidhead student film from 1972--an evocative resonance that fits the album perfectly.
sashwap

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »

I'm gonna head out to pick that up today, I think.

In post-GBV non-news, I decided to give The Planets are Blasted another multi-spin extravaganza, but nope, it just doesn't stick with me. I still find the retooled "Catherine from Mid-October" irksome, though I have warmed up considerably to "Heavy Crown," even if it will never replace "Everywhere with Helicopter." One thing I hadn't caught before is that moment in "Keep Me Down" where Bob sings "I repudiate thee, thou venomous harpie," that's kind of a classic moment.

yeah, that quote is awesome.

i'm pretty fond of that album, but i haven't bought it yet, or gringo. i'm falling behind! you're right about "catherine" being a weak remake, but that song "dorothy's a planet" (also as heard on suitcase 1) is so good, and i like "queen of stormy weather" a lot. it's pretty unique what bob's doing with the spaceships, reinterpreting older songs and mixing them with new ones.
Nick Ink

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »

Everywhere With Helicopter is the only GBV song I know. It's really good.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

There are some others you'd probably like.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:32 PM »

Every time I read this thread, I think "Damn, I really love GBV whene I listen to them... I should probably be more like Whit and sashwap and keep up with their releases." Then I realize what a herculean task that is, and it ends up not happening.

davy

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »

I own the GBV canon, and I feel satisfied with that.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »

the canon is not yet etched in stone--we haven't even heard "Cuddling Bozo’s Octopus" yet!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: GBV OCD
Jump to: