Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 09:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658137 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: 24 frames per second: new movie thread  (Read 42501 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #50 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:14:22 PM »

I went to see the Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and I actually quite liked it- though I'm not used to seeing French movies that are really lush and big budget and kind of the stereotype of pretentious french films. But it was pretty good- I really liked the opening scene, and how you dont see the main character on screen for the first third of the film. And the scene where his mistress calls and his wife has to translate what he's saying to her just about killed me.
But I'm so focused on not having money and being in debt ( to my boyfriend and my father, which sucks big time) that it did make me think a lot about how EVERYTHING, even having a paralysing stroke, is so much easier if you have money.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #51 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »

Hey guys I am feeling kind of disillusioned about my expensive private education and this car my parents bought me

I think I will set off into the wilderness with no training or knowledge of what I am doing

I will also eat some of these here berries

and have brief but oh so meaningful encounters with random strangers who will show me how beautiful and sad life is

Way to sum up my thoughts on that movie, pollo and edison.

girl

« Reply #52 on: Jun 04, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »

Control, the movie about Joy Division's Ian Curtis, is really good. Sam Riley, who plays Ian Curtis does a more than serviceable job with the singing and the odd, angular dancing, and the story hits the highlights of his life without making him into a TRAGIC HERO. It's shot in black and white, which could be a pretentious, arty choice, but it works well here. I really enjoyed it.

this is a story and you're not in it
Ignatius

« Reply #53 on: Jun 05, 2008, 01:34:56 AM »

Are there color representations of Ian Curtis?  Purely curious about this.
diesel_powered

« Reply #54 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:19:29 AM »

No. It's well documented that Manchester lacked color of any kind until the "Madchester" period of the early 90s.

All of a sudden, the acid showed up and it was like Pleasantville.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Ignatius

« Reply #55 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »

FUCK I come from Pleasantville.  I used to claim to strangers that I knew the girl who fucked for color, but it was always a lie.  It's still a pretty white place.
Wally

« Reply #56 on: Jun 05, 2008, 04:55:19 AM »

Grace is Gone quite a touching little film with John Cusack as a the husband of a soldier over in Iraq. He becomes a widow and doesn't know how to tell his two daughters that there mother has died, so he takes them on a road trip to the Enchanted Garden. There's no giant catharsis or sudden acceptance, he just make small steps towards realising he needs to tell his daughters the truth. Whilst his eldest daughter makes similar steps towards understanding her father is real person with flaws. Not to disimilar in tone and style (especially in the lead performance) to what I thought was the brilliant Love Liza.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Wally

« Reply #57 on: Jun 05, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

And now I've watched I want someone to eat cheese with, such a sweet understanding film. Jeff Garlin deserves so much credit for not milking the pathos that is so apparent in this film, as well as never taking the easiest option available to him. Unlike others who've watched this film I'm actually quite fond of Silverman, and found her typically engaging in this film, which of course made it that much melancholy when that turned out as it did.

guanajuato

« Reply #58 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »

gone baby gone!
my love affair with casey affleck continues.
great, haunting movie, though it does a tactless bit up sleight of hand by 'ending' the movie in the 2nd act, and instead of having a regular ole' 3rd act to tie the threads together -- it heaps 'surprise' ending atop 'surprise' ending and calls it a day. still, kind of unique for big hollywood.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
slow west vultures

« Reply #59 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

some dude was watching that movie on his laptop the row ahead of me when i was flying back from minnesota, so i'd say i watched like 1/2 of that movie without the sound.  it seemed pretty somber and slow moving, and i was trying to figure out who the bad guy was just from the scenes that i watched.  viggo mortenson?  the dude with the mustache?  maybe i'll have to rent it at some point to see what it was actually about.  it kind of seemed like a more slow dramatic 'departed', with less violence but just about as many funerals.  what is it with  movies set in boston and funerals. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
maggiego

« Reply #60 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

Control, the movie about Joy Division's Ian Curtis, is really good. Sam Riley, who plays Ian Curtis does a more than serviceable job with the singing and the odd, angular dancing, and the story hits the highlights of his life without making him into a TRAGIC HERO. It's shot in black and white, which could be a pretentious, arty choice, but it works well here. I really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I was disappointed. It was pretty to look at, as were its actors, and Samantha Morton is amazing, especially given she had little about the script to work with but one-note tragic, as the whole film was rather shallow IMHO. I greatly preferred 24-Hour Party People. Then again, my expectations were SUPER high, so ymmv.

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
Wally

« Reply #61 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »

True fact that I don't believe I've shared here before, the one social worker who was involved in my life as a kid was also one of Samantha Morton's. Christine Davenport, much repsect. My view of the film is somewhere between the two expressed above.

maggiego

« Reply #62 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »

Samantha Morton owns. She is amazing-- some highlights for me include Jesus' Son, Morvern Callar, Code 46.

Wally, you are magic so she is too. Thx to Ms. Davenport from America.

Wally

« Reply #63 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »

Samantha Morton owns. She is amazing-- some highlights for me include Jesus' Son, Morvern Callar, Code 46.

Wally, you are magic so she is too. Thx to Ms. Davenport from America.

It's true between the three of us Tilda Swinton, Grace and Jarvis Cocker I almost feel patriotic.

maggiego

« Reply #64 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

I present you the following three celebrity Tucsonans:
Linda Ronstadt
Geraldo Rivera (then called, I shit you not, Jerry Rivers)
The guy who played Coach on TV

I lose.

sassymcassface

« Reply #65 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »

i just signed up for netflix.
goodbye socializing.
first movie in queue? darjeeling limited.  is it worth it?

cake cake cake cake cake cake
elpollodiablo

« Reply #66 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

No, dude! Not worth waiting for in the mail; I'd download that sucker.

think 'on the road.'
sassymcassface

« Reply #67 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »

No, dude! Not worth waiting for in the mail; I'd download that sucker.

really?
damn.

jebreject

« Reply #68 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »

While waiting for the show to start the other night, we had a way-too-long conversation trying to remember that dude's name. Craig T. Nelson, btw.

Also I disagree with Pollo and think that Darjeeling Ltd. was Anderson's best.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Wally

« Reply #69 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »

While waiting for the show to start the other night, we had a way-too-long conversation trying to remember that dude's name. Craig T. Nelson, btw.

Also I disagree with Pollo and think that Darjeeling Ltd. was Anderson's best.

I disagree. But if I agreed it still wouldn't be saying much. Cue another vague argument about the merits of Wes Anderson.

sassymcassface

« Reply #70 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »

well now i'm torn as to what to do.

i'm just going to move the entire series of the young ones to the top and leave it at that.

Wally

« Reply #71 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

Oh god no.

jebreject

« Reply #72 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

hahahaha

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
sassymcassface

« Reply #73 on: Jun 09, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

Oh god no.

i hope that is not in reference to the young ones Neutral

Wally

« Reply #74 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

If you're planning on clinging onto hope, then you've come to the wrong place.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: 24 frames per second: new movie thread
Jump to: