Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 30, 2014, 05:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: 24 frames per second: new movie thread  (Read 41863 times)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #300 on: Jun 26, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

I've never actually seen the Criterion Deep Red, and I didn't know the stuff Andrew explained, but I've seen multiple varying cuts, so I've probably seen all the footage, just not at the same time. It is a jumbled film, but I like it; what pollo finds boring, I find atmospheric. But it probably is a bit overrated, and it also suffers from carrying the weight of Argento's reputation--he was still very much in transition, from the early pseudo-scientific investigative procedurals like Four Flies on Grey Velvet and Cat o' Nine Tails to the sort of swooping post-narrative of Inferno and its sister films, and Deep Red is sort of half-planted in each.

While I think Teddy's dismissal sounds rather knee-jerk, it also can't be denied that Argento lost something along the way--other than The Stendhal Syndrome, I don't think he's made a good movie in 20 years (though I had fun at Mother of Tears, and I think Campbell reps--inexplicably, in my mind, but then de gustibus . . .--for Sleepless).

But glad you liked Black Christmas--Bob Clark may not have been an interesting director, exactly, but he does have an interestingly varied filmography, for sure. What are you reading for that course?
auto-da-fey

« Reply #301 on: Jun 26, 2008, 12:46:46 PM »

oh, and Andrew, glad you felt so passionate about Blast of Silence--I thought you would. I fell in love with it within the first three minutes, and thought of you, girl, and Yojimbo right away (also mvb and oks, if the bastards would post more often. Not that I'm really one to talk lately, though.)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #302 on: Jun 26, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »

and hell, since I'm here: saw Trick Baby yesterday, mostly because it was shot in Philly. Based on an Iceberg Slim novel, it's gotta be the only movie I've ever seen that was marketed as blaxploitation even though it has a white protagonist (who insists he had a black mother, admittedly). It's actually a fairly subtle character study of two con men (it came out in 1973 and feels like the anti-Sting), with a great view of graffiti-ridden city streets and the kind of downer ending that always wins me over. Not something I'd push on anyone, but doesn't Blakeadeus have an Iceberg Slim jones? In that case, I would recommend it.
Bernard

« Reply #303 on: Jun 26, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

I don't know if he does, but I do.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #304 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

As I said, the Italian subtitle sections were never dubbed in English. If you think this means they should have subtitled the whole movie, well, I agree with you, but for whatever reason they didn't.

Ohhh, I see!

But actually the overdubbing was in Italian, right? Or are they just speaking a mix of Italian and English throughout the film? I was really hard-pressed to figure out what was going on, because sometimes the overdubbing was in English, and other times it was in Italian.

no no, the actors spoke italian in the original uncut version of the movie. if you saw dubbing in italian, it was probably just bad audio syncing over footage of actors speaking italian.

EDIT: wait a second, maybe i'm wrong? maybe they shot the whole movie in both languages, but the english version was never released uncut, and the english versions of the cut scenes were lost? damn, i really don't know!

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #305 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

and hell, since I'm here: saw Trick Baby yesterday, mostly because it was shot in Philly. Based on an Iceberg Slim novel, it's gotta be the only movie I've ever seen that was marketed as blaxploitation even though it has a white protagonist (who insists he had a black mother, admittedly). It's actually a fairly subtle character study of two con men (it came out in 1973 and feels like the anti-Sting), with a great view of graffiti-ridden city streets and the kind of downer ending that always wins me over. Not something I'd push on anyone, but doesn't Blakeadeus have an Iceberg Slim jones? In that case, I would recommend it.

i own that book but have never read it. i'm terrible about that kind of thing. anyway, yeah, trick baby's the son of a mulatto hooker and a white john. so he came out white. that's the deal there.

i actually have a friend who is the son of a black man and a white woman whose skin color is lighter than mine, so this kind of thing is totally possible, especially since my friend's dad's grandfather was white, further complicating the dominant/recessive traits.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2008, 01:30:41 PM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

auto-da-fey

« Reply #306 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

i own that book but have never read it. i'm terrible about that kind of thing. anyway, yeah, trick baby's the son of a mulatto hooker and a white john. so he came out white. that's the deal there.

The way the film presents it, there's a small cloud of uncertainty (or maybe I just projected it)--he's conning all the marks, so maybe he's conning his black partner, too. I think I prefer the uncertainty, actually.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #307 on: Jun 26, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »

there might be in the book, too. that's trick baby's explanation, yeah, but i guess i'd only know if it's the true explanation if i read the book. haha.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #308 on: Jun 26, 2008, 02:38:46 PM »

As I said, the Italian subtitle sections were never dubbed in English. If you think this means they should have subtitled the whole movie, well, I agree with you, but for whatever reason they didn't.

Ohhh, I see!

But actually the overdubbing was in Italian, right? Or are they just speaking a mix of Italian and English throughout the film? I was really hard-pressed to figure out what was going on, because sometimes the overdubbing was in English, and other times it was in Italian.

no no, the actors spoke italian in the original uncut version of the movie. if you saw dubbing in italian, it was probably just bad audio syncing over footage of actors speaking italian.

EDIT: wait a second, maybe i'm wrong? maybe they shot the whole movie in both languages, but the english version was never released uncut, and the english versions of the cut scenes were lost? damn, i really don't know!

There are most certainly many scenes with characters speaking English; I could tell it wasn't overdubbed. But in some parts, they seemed to be speaking Italian with English overdubbing; in others, they seemed to be speaking English with Italian dubbing over it. I don't get it.

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #309 on: Jun 26, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »

oh, and Andrew, glad you felt so passionate about Blast of Silence--I thought you would. I fell in love with it within the first three minutes, and thought of you, girl, and Yojimbo right away (also mvb and oks, if the bastards would post more often. Not that I'm really one to talk lately, though.)
Man, this is kind of impressive.  You've been posting less time than me I'm pretty sure and yet you have all of these detailed ideas of what all these posters like and don't like.  I could do something like that for maybe 4 people, and one of them is my girlfriend.
lastclearchance

« Reply #310 on: Jun 26, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »

There are most certainly many scenes with characters speaking English; I could tell it wasn't overdubbed. But in some parts, they seemed to be speaking Italian with English overdubbing; in others, they seemed to be speaking English with Italian dubbing over it. I don't get it.

Pretty sure it's a quirk of Italian cinema that the audio is dubbed afterwards so maybe people who understood English spoke English. I mean, I've not seen Argento yet, but I've seen some Fellini, and I've seen that hilarious scene in Day for Night when Valentina Cortese keeps fucking up her lines and then says "I'll use numbers, the way I do with Fellini" and starts saying random numbers in Italian to the rhythm of her actual lines.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
guanajuato

« Reply #311 on: Jun 26, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

you've got to start with suspiria.

Still shit.  A slightly higher form of feces perhaps, like dolphin, or maybe the pure and noble gorilla, but shit none the less.

EDIT:  Dario Argento's greatest gift to the world was giving me his daughter to swoon over.  So indirectly, he gave me a boner quite possibly rivaling those boners that every other horror fan ever seems to get from his utterly terrible movies.

DOUBLE EDIT:  Dario Argento sucks.

TRIPLE EDIT:  Boner.

i had a reoccurring image when i was a kid that a witch lived in one of our kitchen cupboads. she had the whole witch bit down, fat cheeks grated with wrinkles, a big red pipe for a mouth, and teeth scraped to points. she was only about a foot tall and she waited in the back of the cupboard, being patient, for the one time i'd open that particular cupboard by myself, and then she'd drag me in the cupboard screaming.

all the stuff that argento always fucks up, is less fucked up in suspiria. he really conjures that 'witch in the kitchen cupboard' feeling for me.

when the lights are turning red...

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
girl

« Reply #312 on: Jun 26, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »

Man, this is kind of impressive.  You've been posting less time than me I'm pretty sure and yet you have all of these detailed ideas of what all these posters like and don't like.  I could do something like that for maybe 4 people, and one of them is my girlfriend.

Well, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that I'd like a noir, since that's my favorite genre, but yeah, Whit's got an amazing memory. I would defer to him on just about any subject, including what I like.

Blast of Silence is at or near the top of my Netflix queue right now. Today I got In Bruges, but I haven't seen it yet.

this is a story and you're not in it
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #313 on: Jun 26, 2008, 10:03:50 PM »

dude, jon, i know what you mean. that opening scene where the girl runs frantically into the house, locks the door, runs upstairs, looks out the window, sees nothing but darkness, thinks everything's cool... and then two eyes open in the midst of that pitch black darkness! holy fuck, i about shit myself the first time i saw that.

lastclearchance--what what WHAT? that's INSANE! is that an actual scene in the movie "day for night" that was scripted that way, or what? i need context, man!

andronicus

« Reply #314 on: Jun 26, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »

Well, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that I'd like a noir, since that's my favorite genre, but yeah, Whit's got an amazing memory. I would defer to him on just about any subject, including what I like.
I get this impression sometimes that there's a layer of LTPJ interaction that I'm entirely unaware of, like some of you guys are in a secret society.  Then I think I'm just a paranoid conspiracy theorist.  Then I think, 'wait.  the Jews really did do 9/11, so there probably is an esoteric LPTJ cult!'
girl

« Reply #315 on: Jun 26, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »

Well, we ARE Netflix friends, so that probably helps. Also, we often plot world domination via google chat.

this is a story and you're not in it
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #316 on: Jun 27, 2008, 02:36:17 AM »

Hey guys, here are 1800 or so more words on how much I liked "Blast Of Silence", plus bonus youtube links. Just in case anyone's interested.

Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #317 on: Jun 27, 2008, 06:11:58 AM »

spoilers?

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #318 on: Jun 27, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »

no, i very carefully avoided spoilers, unless you consider any description of the plot a spoiler.

lastclearchance

« Reply #319 on: Jun 27, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

lastclearchance--what what WHAT? that's INSANE! is that an actual scene in the movie "day for night" that was scripted that way, or what? i need context, man!

yes, it was scripted that way. "day for night" is on my list of the top two movies about making movies (the other is "living in oblivion"). i can't find video of it, but maybe i can get something uploaded.

hannah

« Reply #320 on: Jun 27, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »

I saw a bunch of movies. They were mostly terrific.
edison

« Reply #321 on: Jun 27, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »

Please elaborate! I saw the underwhelming new Ronit & Shlomi Elkabetz movie the other weekend, and am hoping to catch "Waltz With Bachir" this weekend.
Greg Nog

« Reply #322 on: Jun 27, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »

two movies about making movies

Hey, did any of you guys see The TV Set?  (hannah, I'm guessing you did)  I really liked it.  I don't know that there's much I can say about it other than that I'm usually pretty wary of movies-about-movies, and found it quite pleasant.
lastclearchance

« Reply #323 on: Jun 27, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »

two movies about making movies

Hey, did any of you guys see The TV Set?  (hannah, I'm guessing you did)  I really liked it.  I don't know that there's much I can say about it other than that I'm usually pretty wary of movies-about-movies, and found it quite pleasant.

It struck me as more accurate than funny, though it was both (usually at the same time). I enjoyed it but I think I was expecting too much, mainly because I have high expectations for post-Freaks and Geeks folks (in this case Jake Kasdan, who was also responsible for the underrated but not wonderful "Orange County").

hannah

« Reply #324 on: Jun 27, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

Yeah, I liked The TV Set all right. (Dead horse alert: as far as low-key, shoddy-looking comedies go, I thought it succeeded in pretty much every way that Eat Cheese With failed!)

Let me see. I saw:

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son (Ken Jacobs, 1969)
Monsieur Verdoux (Charlie Chaplin, 1949)
Land of the Pharaohs (Howard Hawks, 1955)
a bunch of Mizoguchi
& other stuff, probably

All good!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: 24 frames per second: new movie thread
Jump to: