Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 10:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657942 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Recent Purchases of a Record Nature  (Read 37915 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #175 on: Jul 05, 2008, 10:42:36 AM »

that's funny, because i have the exact opposite reaction to ash bowie being mentioned in the context of helium. like, "dude, that guy is the singer/guitarist of polvo to me." haha.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #176 on: Jul 05, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »

that's funny, because i have the exact opposite reaction to ash bowie being mentioned in the context of helium. like, "dude, that guy is the singer/guitarist of polvo to me." haha.

sadly, i think the masses side with you. poor ol' helium never got the credit they deserved.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Babar

« Reply #177 on: Jul 05, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »

there was this album and dvd market and i went with the hope of buying some good metal and/or hip hop. turned out both those sections kind of sucked but the rest was surprisingly good (considering how sucky these markets are most of the times), price wise and selection wise. i would've bought a lot more but i don't really have a lot of money right now.

Sun Ra - Space Is the Place

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto #2

Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album

Neurosis - Given to the Rising

A Johnny Cash box set including:

A Thelonious Monk box set including:

edit: and i seriously need some new shelves, they more than stuffed already and i have no good place to keep this. and also, wtf helium, polvo ftw
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2008, 12:48:11 PM by Babar » Logged

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Thermofusion

« Reply #178 on: Jul 05, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

damn dude, WTG on that Monk set!

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #179 on: Jul 05, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »

dude, that's my favorite ghostface album there. and i mean, all the stuff you got is pretty great, really.

Babar

« Reply #180 on: Jul 05, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

yup, i ripped it off my brother when it came out 4 years ago so i was long overdo of getting the actual copy, it was the album that got me into ghostface. i think Supreme Clientele is slightly better though, but The Pretty Toney Album is still one of my favorite rap albums. I also had that Sun Ra album before, it's so good.

davy

« Reply #181 on: Jul 05, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »

yeah, look at all that monk!

monk's dream is one of my absolutely favorite jazz albums.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #182 on: Jul 05, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »

yup, i ripped it off my brother when it came out 4 years ago so i was long overdo of getting the actual copy, it was the album that got me into ghostface. i think Supreme Clientele is slightly better though, but The Pretty Toney Album is still one of my favorite rap albums. I also had that Sun Ra album before, it's so good.

truth to tell, and i know this is indefensible for as big a ghostface fan as myself, but i do not own supreme clientele. i have ironman, pretty toney, fishscale, more fish, and the big doe rehab, but not supreme clientele. i should really buy it soon.

hey, is that ghost & doom album coming out anytime soon?

Babar

« Reply #183 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

truth to tell, and i know this is indefensible for as big a ghostface fan as myself, but i do not own supreme clientele. i have ironman, pretty toney, fishscale, more fish, and the big doe rehab, but not supreme clientele. i should really buy it soon.

get supreme clientele, it's definitely a top 5 rap album for me, and it's probably one of the last really good albums that had that Wu sound (not counting Masta Killas's awesome and slept-on and all-WU No Said Date that came out in 2004). pretty toney is great, but if i'd only hear the instrumentals i wouldn't know that it was a wu album.

and don't hold your breath about that doom/starks album. maybe it will never come out. when ghost is asked about in interviews he says "it's doom's project, ask him", so i dunno, doesn't look good. they're also releasing a dilla/ghost/doom EP or something with doom and ghost rapping over some dilla beats. but i wonder why they would release that as an ep if they actually WERE gonna release a doom/ghost lp? looks like their emptying the vaults of an abandoned project to me. but at least that's something.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #184 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »

I just ordered the Pretty Toney Album the other day. You guys have me super excited to hear it. I don't have Supreme Clientele yet either, but I plan on getting it next.

I have no idea when the the Ghostface/Doom album is coming out, it seems like I've been waiting forever for it already.

Babar

« Reply #185 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »

i also want to add that The Pretty Toney Album is the only album in the world where i think the intro is the best song. it's just brilliant, i could listen to in on repeat for a long time. i know it by heart absolutely spot on

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #186 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

is it the intro where he goes into the whole bit about "i said i wanted a banana nutrament, i wrote in on the fuckin paper" or is that later in the record?

my favorite song on there is the one where he just raps over an entire delfonics song. the delfonics song is good, but his rapping over it adds another dimension to it entirely.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #187 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »

i also want to add that The Pretty Toney Album is the only album in the world where i think the intro is the best song. it's just brilliant, i could listen to in on repeat for a long time. i know it by heart absolutely spot on

That's funny that you should say that, because that's exactly what I thought about More Fish. I thought the first track was amazing, the rest of the album was disappointing after hearing that intro.

I didn't really enjoy More Fish as much as most people though, but I really liked Big Doe Rehab. A pretty underrated album from last year IMO.

Babar

« Reply #188 on: Jul 05, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »

is it the intro where he goes into the whole bit about "i said i wanted a banana nutrament, i wrote in on the fuckin paper" or is that later in the record?

my favorite song on there is the one where he just raps over an entire delfonics song. the delfonics song is good, but his rapping over it adds another dimension to it entirely.

no, but that's also awesome. that's at the beginning of the first actual song, Biscuits. and that delfonics song (production credited to Ghostface himself) is also fantastic and actually got me into the Delfonics.

i got all the ghost albums up to and including Fishscale, so i can't comment on "more fish" or "big doe rehab", but i'll definitely check 'em in due time

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #189 on: Jul 05, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »

I'll tell you right now that "More Fish" is a bit of a phone-in; actually, if anything, I'd say it's a sequel to the Theodore Unit album they did right after "Pretty Toney", which is pretty goddamn good in its own right, as is "Pretty Toney: The Lost Tapes" (which I think is a "mixtape" rather than an official release, but is worth hunting down). There's another mixtape from that era too, but I don't remember what it's called. Anyway, I think Ghostface is a pretty slick operator where money is concerned, and I further think that he figured out that his next family album would sell better if he put his name on it rather than his crew's name. So it ends up being about half-Ghost and half-Trife Da God and Shawn Wigs. Thing is, Trife is probably almost as good as Ghostface, so I didn't really mind that he was on the record so much.

"Big Doe Rehab" probably just came into my life at the wrong time, because I don't think I've listened to it all the way through more than once or twice. That's not to say it's not good, it's just that it hasn't grabbed me. There's some weird stuff on it, like that song where Ghostface shoots someone in the face at close range and then loses his mind over the fact that dude's brains get on his clothes. I think it's called "Walk Around". He loses me on that one--it's like, "Dude, if you don't want people's brains on your jacket, DON'T SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE FROM TWO FEET AWAY!" Whatever, though, it's probably a really good album that I just need to give more time to. That song "Walk Around" has awesome production even if the lyrics don't make much sense to me.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #190 on: Jul 05, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »

Dude! That's probably my favorite song off the album. It's some crazy shit, that's for sure. It kinda makes me feel weird and crazy just listening to it.

Babar

« Reply #191 on: Jul 05, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »

"Dude, if you don't want people's brains on your jacket, DON'T SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE FROM TWO FEET AWAY!"

i actually thought you were quoting a line from that song and thought it was pretty awesome (i imagined him screaming it in his high voice) and a little too literal for ghostface

WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #192 on: Jul 06, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust (cd)
The Magnetic Fields - Distortion (LP)
Sun Kill Moon - April (LP)
Portishead - Third (LP)
Judas Priest -Nostradamus (cd)

My jaw is on the floor with the most of these albums.  Distortion is crushing me especially.  Nostradamus sounds like the most ridiculously epic Andrew Loyd Webber musical. 
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2008, 08:32:08 AM by WhereTheSlimeLive » Logged

Puddle Pants
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #193 on: Jul 06, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »

omg, everyone check out this footage of Priest performing the first track of Nostradamus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_EF5bYNgtM

Puddle Pants
slow west vultures

« Reply #194 on: Jul 06, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »

at the local record store yesterday, because they were having a used sale.  i looked through about their entire rack of used stuff (they have them on a separate shelf which is nice) and probably could have taken a chance on a few more but these were ones i wanted to hear

Cut Copy - In Ghost Color
Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
ellaguru

« Reply #195 on: Jul 06, 2008, 11:41:06 PM »

Used, from the late night record store on my way home from seeing Richard Thompson:

Bruce Cockburn - Joy Will Find a Way

Bruce Cockburn - In the Falling Dark

Burial - Untrue

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #196 on: Jul 06, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »

I like some of Bruce Cockburn's stuff, though I've never herd a proper album of his. My dad has a greatest hits or something like it. Mostly, I love his lyrics. He's a rel radical politically. He's got that song about the Contras in Nicaragua that has the line "If I had a rocket launcher / I'd make somebody pay" which is the chorus, and I think at the end he says "If I had a rocket launcher / some son-of-a-bitch would die" or something like that. Hardcore.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
ellaguru

« Reply #197 on: Jul 06, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »

I think you'd like his early stuff. He was a total folkie in the seventies. Mostly just him and his acoustic guitar (at which he is a master) singing about oneness with his inner katra and like that.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #198 on: Jul 07, 2008, 12:01:54 AM »

Yeah, that sounds like the stuff of his I should look into. I know some of his (I'm assuming later stuff) has a sort of slick 80's feel to it which...me no likey. While I think it is a good song, I vastly prefer the Barenaked Ladies version of his song "Lovers In A Dangerous Time." That one has some great lines, especially: "nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight / gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight."

I will meditate and then destroy you!
slow west vultures

« Reply #199 on: Jul 07, 2008, 12:23:21 AM »

I think you'd like his early stuff. He was a total folkie in the seventies. Mostly just him and his acoustic guitar (at which he is a master) singing about oneness with his inner katra and like that.

He's got that song about the Contras in Nicaragua that has the line "If I had a rocket launcher / I'd make somebody pay" which is the chorus, and I think at the end he says "If I had a rocket launcher / some son-of-a-bitch would die" or something like that. Hardcore.

that sounds like quite a transition.  Surprised 80s life i guess?

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Recent Purchases of a Record Nature
Jump to: