Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 17, 2014, 01:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658004 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 60 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Recent Purchases of a Record Nature  (Read 37964 times)
davy

« Reply #300 on: Jul 15, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

i'm starting a damn poll.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #301 on: Jul 15, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

family stone's drummer was hell of weak, dude was like playing with spaghetti not drum sticks
alex

« Reply #302 on: Jul 15, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »

Heh. A few months ago, I mailordered a bunch of country classics, but somehow forgot to put my house number in the address field - as a result, the package never arrived, and since it was clearly my fault, I didn't want to bother the mailorder service about re-sending. Since I had pretty much given up on the package, I decided to buy this today:

Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger / To Lefty From Willie (on 1 disc)

in spite of the fact that Red Headed Stranger was one of the discs I had ordered back then. A few hours after this purchase, I just received a message from the mailorder place, telling me they had gotten the parcel back and inquiring whether I would like them to re-send. So it looks like I will soon have that album twice, once as part of a very cheap multipack deal, and once with probably somewhat nicer packaging. As far as I can tell from my first two listens, that's not a bad thing at all. (The Lefty Frizzel cover album is pretty damn brilliant, too.)
graham

« Reply #303 on: Jul 16, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »

you got me, i haven't heard the song. i'll check it out.

Come by the house tomorrow, I'll play that shit for you. 
Bubbachups

« Reply #304 on: Jul 16, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »

Also got that free Kozelek EP from his Caldo Verde label by buying the 2cd version of Ghosts of the Great Highway. I already had the regular cd and the vinyl, but yeah, I needed that extra cd too and this free EP was a nice excuse...

How is this EP? I don't own Ghosts of the Great Highway on any format at all, which is something that I've been meaning to change for some time, so I guess now would be a good time, especially if that EP is worthwhile as well.

I haven't actually received this one yet. Will let you know ASAP.

Listened to it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular or anything of course and I wouldn’t say it’s absolutely essential, but still quite nice to have. I actually like it better than the bonus cd that comes with Ghosts of the Great Highway.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #305 on: Jul 17, 2008, 02:13:28 AM »

New stuff:

Factums - The Sistrum LP + 7"

The UV Race - s/t 7"
Snakeflower 2 - Talk About It 7"

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
davy

« Reply #306 on: Jul 17, 2008, 09:20:55 AM »

i won't be seen much in this thread for a few weeks because i am making a solemn pledge, right now, that the next two things i purchase will be 1) the pogues box set and 2) the robyn hitchcock box set.

that's like $120 i have to find under the cushions of my sofa in the next month or so.

and my sofa is a futon, so basically i'm fucked.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #307 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

RavingLunatic

« Reply #308 on: Jul 17, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

Hypatia Lake - ...And We Shall Call Him Joseph

Just got this one in the mail today. Cool cover, but there are no liner notes. I'm not sure if that's the way it originally was or if this was just one of the drawbacks of buying a used CD that is "very good" instead of "like new."

I will meditate and then destroy you!
alex

« Reply #309 on: Jul 17, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »

Also got that free Kozelek EP from his Caldo Verde label by buying the 2cd version of Ghosts of the Great Highway. I already had the regular cd and the vinyl, but yeah, I needed that extra cd too and this free EP was a nice excuse...

How is this EP? I don't own Ghosts of the Great Highway on any format at all, which is something that I've been meaning to change for some time, so I guess now would be a good time, especially if that EP is worthwhile as well.

I haven't actually received this one yet. Will let you know ASAP.

Listened to it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular or anything of course and I wouldn’t say it’s absolutely essential, but still quite nice to have. I actually like it better than the bonus cd that comes with Ghosts of the Great Highway.

Thanks for the report. Let's see if I can still grab a copy when I finally get around to placing my order - I've been a little bit crazy with the mailordering lately, so I'd rather wait a little bit. I don't want to risk being greeted by five different packages waiting for me at my doorstep when I get back to Maastricht, that'd feel a little over the top.

Ryan - you mean there is a booklet, but no linernotes? How would this have anything to do with it being a used purchase? But regardless - "very good" decidedly should not mean "part of the artwork is missing".
RavingLunatic

« Reply #310 on: Jul 17, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »

Ryan - you mean there is a booklet, but no linernotes? How would this have anything to do with it being a used purchase? But regardless - "very good" decidedly should not mean "part of the artwork is missing".
No, there's no booklet or anything. Just a thin slip with the cover on it and nothing even on the back of that. There's nothing about the band members or the recording or nothing. Doesn't even have the year on it anywhere. The back cover is really basic too, with virtually no information on it other than an e-mail address and website, so maybe that was all there ever was.

slow west vultures

« Reply #311 on: Jul 17, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

i bought a used copy of Tigermilk and the person who sent it had lost the liner notes so she sent a dollar back to me with the packaging instead.  now i will never know what bemusing observations of life around glasgow that stuart murdoch wrote to accompany tigermilk. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #312 on: Jul 18, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »

On vinyl. Which is kinda pointless. I have Jerusalem on CD already. And this involves turning the records over which goes against the whole spirit of the the thing. But it's so pretty. Now I have to get Dopesmoker on CD cos this mix is superior (I really mean this GI. Shit just gets better!). 

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
alistarr*

« Reply #313 on: Jul 18, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

i bought a used copy of Tigermilk and the person who sent it had lost the liner notes so she sent a dollar back to me with the packaging instead.  now i will never know what bemusing observations of life around glasgow that stuart murdoch wrote to accompany tigermilk. 

aren't the bemusing observations on the back of the sleeve, not on a separate sheet? i'm pretty sure the separate sheet is restricted to lyrics and recording notes on that one. just in case though, here's the text, because it would be a real shame to miss out on it:

Sebastian met Isabelle outside Hillhead Underground Station, in Glasgow. Belle harassed Sebastian, but it was lucky for him that she did. She was very nice and funny, and sang very sweetly. Sebastian was not to know this, however. Sebastian was melancholy.

He had placed an advert in the local supermarket. He was looking for musicians. Belle saw him do it. She asked him to teach her to play guitar. Sebastian doubted he could teach her anything, but he admired her energy, so he said, 'Yes'.

It was strange, Sebastian had just decided to become a one-man band. It is always when you least expect it that something happens. Sebastian had befriended a fox because he didn't expect to have any new friends for a while. He still loved the fox, although he had a new distraction. Suddenly he was writing many songs. Sebastian wrote all of his best songs in 1995. In fact, most of his best songs have the words 'Nineteen Ninety-five' in them. It bothered him a little. What will happen in 1996?

They worked on songs in Belle's house. Belle lived with her parents, and they were rich enough to have a piano. It was in a room by itself at the back of the house, overlooking the garden. This was where Belle taught Sebastian to put on mascara. If Belle's mum had known this, she would not have been happy. She was paying for the guitar lessons. The lessons gave Sebastian's life some structure. He went to the barbers to get a haircut.

Belle and Sebastian are not snogging. Sometimes they hold hands, but that is only a display of public solidarity. Sebastian thinks Belle 'kicks with the other foot'. Sebastian is wrong, but then Sebastian can never see further than the next tragic ballad. It is lucky that Belle had a popular taste in music. She is the cheese to his dill pickle.

Belle and Sebastian do not care much for material goods. But then neither Belle nor Sebastian has ever had to worry about where the next meal is coming from. Belle's most recent song is called Rag Day. Sebastian's is called The Fox In The Snow. They once stayed in their favourite cafe for three solid days to recruit a band. Have you ever seen The Magnificent 7? It was like that, only more tedious. They gained a lot of weight, and made a few enemies of waitresses.

Belle is sitting highers in college. She didn't listen the first time round. Sebastian is older than he looks. He is odder than he looks too. But he has a good heart. And he looks out for Belle, although she doesn't need it. If he didn't play music, he would be a bus driver or be unemployed. Probably unemployed. Belle could do anything. Good looks will always open doors for a girl.
davy

« Reply #314 on: Jul 18, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »

i lied. this came in the mail yesterday...

yes we can is a certified 5-star soul/funk masterpiece in the new orleans style. allen toussaint wrote and produced it, and he and the meters played the music. possibly toussaint's best album-length project, though it would be tough to beat his 2nd solo album, life, love & faith.

the bonus LP, night people (from 1978), is a different beast altogether. it's not bad, but it's not the meters, and it's heavily influenced by disco. toussaint wrote the entirity of it, too, so the songs are great. it's just a little dated.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008, 11:46:44 AM by davy » Logged

graham

« Reply #315 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »

Just picked this up:

REALLY good.  One of the dudes from Cloudland Canyon doing loose, jammy, occasionally Tropicalia-sounding stuff.  Perfect soundtrack for getting high on a secluded beach and watching the sun set.
slow west vultures

« Reply #316 on: Jul 18, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

aren't the bemusing observations on the back of the sleeve, not on a separate sheet? i'm pretty sure the separate sheet is restricted to lyrics and recording notes on that one. just in case though, here's the text, because it would be a real shame to miss out on it:

Sebastian met Isabelle outside Hillhead Underground Station, in Glasgow. Belle harassed Sebastian, but it was lucky for him hat she did. She was very nice and funny, and sang very sweetly. Sebastian was not to know this, however. Sebastian was melancholy.

He had placed an advert in the local supermarket. He was looking for musicians. Belle saw him do it. She asked him to teach her to play guitar. Sebastian doubted he could teach her anything, but he admired her energy, so he said, 'Yes'.

It was strange, Sebastian had just decided to become a one-man band. It is always when you least expect it that something happens. Sebastian had befriended a fox because he didn't expect to have any new friends for a while. He still loved the fox, although he had a new distraction. Suddenly he was writing many songs. Sebastian wrote all of his best songs in 1995. In fact, most of his best songs have the words 'Nineteen Ninety-five' in them. It bothered him a little. What will happen in 1996?

They worked on songs in Belle's house. Belle lived with her parents, and they were rich enough to have a piano. It was in a room by itself at the back of the house, overlooking the garden. This was where Belle taught Sebastian to put on mascara. If Belle's mum had known this, she would not have been happy. She was paying for the guitar lessons. The lessons gave Sebastian's life some structure. He went to the barbers to get a haircut.

Belle and Sebastian are not snogging. Sometimes they hold hands, but that is only a display of public solidarity. Sebastian thinks Belle 'kicks with the other foot'. Sebastian is wrong, but then Sebastian can never see further than the next tragic ballad. It is lucky that Belle had a popular taste in music. She is the cheese to his dill pickle.

Belle and Sebastian do not care much for material goods. But then neither Belle nor Sebastian has ever had to worry about where the next meal is coming from. Belle's most recent song is called Rag Day. Sebastian's is called The Fox In The Snow. They once stayed in their favourite cafe for three solid days to recruit a band. Have you ever seen The Magnificent 7? It was like that, only more tedious. They gained a lot of weight, and made a few enemies of waitresses.

Belle is sitting highers in college. She didn't listen the first time round. Sebastian is older than he looks. He is odder than he looks too. But he has a good heart. And he looks out for Belle, although she doesn't need it. If he didn't play music, he would be a bus driver or be unemployed. Probably unemployed. Belle could do anything. Good looks will always open doors for a girl.

thanks alistarr.  maybe the packaging is different between the US and UK releases.  the stories are usually in the liner notes on all the Belle and Sebastian CDs i have. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
died_trying

« Reply #317 on: Jul 19, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »

boris/stupid babies go mad damaged 10" at the show the other night. comes with a dvd too.
died_trying

« Reply #318 on: Jul 19, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »

On vinyl. Which is kinda pointless. I have Jerusalem on CD already. And this involves turning the records over which goes against the whole spirit of the the thing. But it's so pretty. Now I have to get Dopesmoker on CD cos this mix is superior (I really mean this GI. Shit just gets better!). 

i almost bought that the other day too because it looked so purty, but couldn't justify it b/c interrupting a single 70 minute piece of music to flip sides seemed asinine.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #319 on: Jul 20, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

Kenny Tompkins - The Beautiful Death of Everything

It's a fantastic record and at only $8, including shipping, it's a bargain. This is the same guy behind last year's excellent Contortionist Blues Vol. 1 which was released under the name of the Royal Army Recording Co. Word is that Contortionist Blues Vol. 2 is coming out soon. I like this band so much that awhile ago I created a whole thread for them.

Here are a couple tracks available for free download from their website:

Kenny Tompkins - Beautiful Death of Everything - 02 - Untie Yourself from Me
Kenny Tompkins - Beautiful Death of Everything - 03 - There's Nothing Left to Touch

You can see the Jeff Mangum influence. I've corresponded with this guy a couple times and he's a seriously nice dude, and his music is very important to him. In fact, because I was having trouble ordering Contortionist Blues Vol. 1, he sent me their Mary Your Ghost Is Showing EP, which is also excellent, for free. I'm actually ashame that I didn't buy this album a while ago. It's all self-released stuff with great  homemade packaging and such.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #320 on: Jul 20, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

Went to Zia in an attempt to acquire Stay Positive on vinyl.  Motherfuckers ain't even orderin' it.

But since I was at Zia anyway and I have little to no self control in a room full of records, I bought these on vinyl:

Used:

R.E.M. - Murmur
Elvis Costello - Trust

New:

Boris - Smile

The American vinyl edition of Smile is odd - it's the Japanese tracklisting, but the mixes are from the Southern Lord edition.  It also includes two bonus songs that I have yet to listen to - "Vein" and "After Me."
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008, 05:42:38 PM by Black Amnesia of Heaven » Logged

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #321 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »

Sweet used singles action on internet auction. $12 for the following:

Shocking Blue - NEVER MARRY A RAILROAD MAN/ROLL ENGINE ROLL
Shocking Blue - MIGHTY JOE/WILD WIND
The Sweet - ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL/SPOTLIGHT
The Sweet - TEENAGE RAMPAGE/OWN UP TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF
The Sweet - CO-CO/DONE ME WRONG ALL RIGHT

Shocking Blue are rocking my world at the moment.

jebreject

« Reply #322 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »

brad, how much did you pick up the smile lp for? they were selling them at the show for like 25 bucks

the packaging was awesome though

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #323 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »

$17, although I'm sure there are several editions that get increasingly fancy with increasing $$$.

Actually, I just checked the Southern Lord site and apparently this is the only edition. I wonder why it cost so much more at the show.

But the packaging is lovely, really.  Foil cover = fuck yes.

jebreject

« Reply #324 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »

everything was expensive at the show

the lp must have been the import, though, 'cause it wasn't the southern lord packaging

it was one yellow box that slid into another, the outer one having a heart cut out in the middle

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Recent Purchases of a Record Nature
Jump to: