Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 22, 2014, 05:41:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658307 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins  (Read 2599 times)
old kentucky shark

« on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:42:51 PM »

Gasp!

Has anyone heard?

--

it's delicious

See also: "Requiem for O.M.M.2", "I Was Never Young", not to mention "Forecast Fascist Future", more

This can just turn into a "how was your day?" thread now

you are seven dollars yes you are
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »

Go ahead, rub it in, Mr. Advance Copy.  This thread is responsible for the third time I've accidentally gone here looking for Of Montreal info.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
El_Josharino

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:08:31 PM »

I've heard and I like.  Definitely on par with Satanic Panic.  I really like this seemingly slightly-less-sugar-coated direction they're sort of taking.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
old kentucky shark

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »

I'll make a deal with you, less fortunate:

Requiem for O.M.M.2

Whatever you dooo don't tell anyone

hoppock

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2005, 12:44:48 AM »

i want to hear this so badly.  satanic panic was most certainly in my top 3 for 2004.  i love the direction that his music is taking also.

this man's music will never get old, i don't know.  an album a year almost feels excessive in our current sluggish release climate, but i would buy an album every 4 months from of montreal if they were all half as good as gay parade or satanic panic.

my name is matthew
dieblucasdie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:48:07 AM »

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
I'll make a deal with you, less fortunate:

Whatever you dooo don't tell anyone

Very cool of you.  Is this album really not out until April?  Last year I nabbed a promo copy of Satanic Panic, and I remember getting it absurdly early as well.

chronoaug

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2005, 11:19:27 PM »

I can't wait till i get home and can illegally download it. I'm still pissed they aren't stopping by florida again while touring......bastards
Nick Ink

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:40:02 AM »

After a couple of listens, it seems to be brimming with good tunes and the usual array of ideas. Parts of it are very similar to riffs and melodies from 'Satanic Panic...' though. I was also taken aback at how light the instrumentation felt after the jammier psychier moments from the last one.

I want to reserve proper judgement until I've heard it a few more times. I nearly always cringe with embarrassment when I look back on my initial reactions to records like this.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
peacocks

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »

I heard some of montreal a while ago, thought it was cool.

I went to their show in orlando in the fall, had a blast and thought it was the most awesome thing ever but didn't have enough money for to buy albums.

a few months later I bought an album of theirs that wasn't satanic panic... it was something with elephants and circus animals (I can't remember) and I did not like it at all.  I took it back and traded it for an engine down CD.  while talking with the band at the merch table after the show they mentioned that each album is different so maybe satanic panic is way better?

how could I love them so much in concert and then really hate the cd I bought afterwards?  I've never returned music!  what is wrong with me!?  please help.

dick-check your priviledge
trailofmusic

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:41:37 PM »

Never hear another album of theirs and NEVER find out!
W. Earl Piglet

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:50:44 PM »

I downloaded "Requeim for O.M.M.2"...I like it, I'll buy it when its out. Its coming with an extra EP, and the vinyl version comes with the extra EP 12" with an extra song and an etching on the blank b-side. And nice big artwork. I'll probably get that. Same thing with the Decemberists next album which was also leaked early. Probably as a result of the early leakage too.
chronoaug

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2005, 04:07:55 PM »

The horse and the elephant eatery is probably my least favorite cd of theirs. They didn't play any of the songs off that cd at their show in orlando. Satanic Panic in the Attic and The Bedside Drama are my two favorites. The Gay Parade and Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies are good as well. I actually emailed Kevin Barnes of Of Montreal about not coming to Florida 2 days ago and heard back from him today and he said that they always have a blast in Orlando and even though it's not on their initial tour in support of Twins, they're gonna try to make it to Orlando sometime in August or September. It's nice to get a personal email so soon. Good guy.
davy

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »

Quote from: "peacocks"
how could I love them so much in concert and then really hate the cd I bought afterwards?  I've never returned music!  what is wrong with me!?  please help.

here's my of montreal story...it may shed some light on your situation.

as a freshman in college (at UGA, in athens), of montreal was not only my favorite local band, they might've been my favorite band period. this was based on the one LP i had (cherry peel, their debut, comprised of mildly twisted sugar-pop ditties) and the one EP i had (the bird who continues to eat the rabbit's flower--find me a more awkward EP title and i'll trim your toenails with my teeth--which was much the same in content). when i glimpsed bedside drama in the store, i bought it immediately, and was immediately disappointed. the songs were still short, but the style was looser, more experimental, less catchy. i traded it in after about a month. i'd really tried to like it, but it wasn't happening.

then, i got excited all over again when the gay parade (the "circus" album you mentioned, i believe) came out to unanimous rave reviews. and i did like this one for awhile, but i found myself only really getting into it during certain songs ("the miniature philosopher" for instance...short and punchy). after a while, i realized i didn't like most of the album, couldn't follow the theme/story, didn't really care for the sound collage tracks, etc. i kept it for a long time without listening to it regularly, and eventually sold it, too.

somewhere in there was coquelicot asleep in the poppies, another album i bought the week it was released. it was me giving them yet ANOTHER chance to win me back. but i hated it. neo-pop-psychedelic-concept-album masterpiece, whatever. didn't like it at all. gave it to a friend.

that was when i wrote them off. i did so regretfully, but it was obvious that they were heading in a musical direction i didn't much care for. i respected their will to evolve, but flat out didn't like the music anymore.

then i heard an mp3 of "disconnect the dots" at http://www.stereogum.com, and everything changed. this was a musical direction i could get behind. so i bought the album (living in colorado now, i was terribly homesick, and anything athens-related gave me a boost), and it turned out to be my favorite album of 2004.

a happy ending if ever there was one. i am very much looking forward to the sunlandic twins.

in conclusion, i think it's pretty obvious that i'm a bigger fan of the band's more accessible pop-focused material. and that's only about half their catalog. so the position you find yourself in is hardly unusual. you just have to figure out which side of the band you appreciate, and indulge away!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
John
edit0r

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »

ummm can we not link ripped prerelease stuff from these forums as I ain't into that? k thx, sorry I'm not with the zeitgeist, it's just y'know my own opinion
old kentucky shark

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »

Oh sorry & removed

(though the link is still in the quote it links to nought as I have covered all bases here)

dieblucasdie

« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Oh sorry & removed

(though the link is still in the quote it links to nought as I have covered all bases here)

I killed it, 's cool.

John
edit0r

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:43:37 PM »

thanks you guys - it's not like I'm gonna delete posts that do this or anything, it's just kinda...not gonna get all into it 'n' stuff, it's just that from my side of the fence...ahhh everybody knows my position on this stuff by now, thanks again
Nickosaurus

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:38:15 PM »

Does that mean was can't talk about Bjork either?

OMGROFFLE

This must be where pies go when they die
lucky strike

« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2005, 06:27:50 AM »

Quote from: "John"
zeitgeist

ty for using one of my favorite words lol

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
davy

« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:20:40 AM »

add "zeitgeist" to the list of words i first encountered in high school while reading a magazine article on pavement.

see, kids, indie rock can be educational!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
SPACERACE

« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »

The Zeitgeist is also the best music venue in the Boston area.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
W. Earl Piglet

« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:07:17 PM »

Zeitgeist Films releases some fine DVDs.
lucky strike

« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2005, 06:01:27 PM »

yeah, i thought that was one of the best venue names i've ever heard

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
Jump to: