Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658106 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: two new pieces up today  (Read 10300 times)
John
edit0r

« on: Jul 01, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

'cause that's just how it is
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

You don't trust us to look at the main page do you

think 'on the road.'
John
edit0r

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »

dude ppl bitch if I don't start a thread about it

fuckin dudes
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »

I am just taking the piss, JD

Though personally if someone asked me like "What do you think about people saying you are not tr00" I think my response would be "At least I am still 1337 h4xx0r"

think 'on the road.'
machinemademan

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »

"To this I feel I must say: oh, really? Nonsense. If you are making music only for yourself, you don't release it."

Playing devils advocate a bit, but if you don't release it, how are you going to make enough money to quit your day job so you can devote yourself full-time to these artistic endeavors of ultimate personal meaningfulness?

I guess you'd have to be a real character (read: sociopath) to approach music-making like that. How many people do you know that aren't validation seeking whores?
DanielBurns11

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-P7sFnzMeE

"Y'all did that. I didn't do nuthin', I just recorded it."

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »

good grief, weezy's a nutty guy. heh.

but seriously, i don't know about the whole "i make music for other people" vs "i make music for myself" binary at all. i don't know that it's that simple. i've always felt like i did my writing and made my music because it was something that i needed to do--that other people reading it/hearing it or not reading/hearing it wasn't going to make a difference in what i did. but i will also say that i wanted other people to hear it, and hoped they liked it. but if they didn't... eh, oh well, i was still gonna do it. my music, my writing, has never been for other people per se, but that doesn't mean i don't want to share it with them. the word "for" in this whole conversation is really bugging me out though, because i feel like it reduces it to that binary i mentioned in the first sentence, and i don't think the discussion is that simple at all. john, i realize we aren't gonna agree on this issue, because i know you feel strongly about it, but i gotta say my piece, is all.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
John
edit0r

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »

oh I don't say one doesn't also make music for oneself. but the idea that it has nothing to do with a potential audience - this "I write for myself" trope that's so common? in the immortal words of Miss Melodie NAH MAN I AIN'T BUYIN IT. there are many, many people who write and never share their work. they write for themselves. there are many more who write both for the pleasure of it and for the experience of letting that process loose in the world, and there's a subset of those who like to say they only wrote to please themselves. those people, I say, are lyin'.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »

but see, that's the thing, i think you're still reducing it to simpler terms that i'm really comfortable with. you're saying that those people are also trying to PLEASE other people. i feel like i personally just want attention--like, i'd almost be happy if i were one of those writers like chuck palahniuk who is virulently hated by as many people as like him. love me, hate me, just don't ignore me. you know?

of course, if i were universally hated, i might wish i'd never shown anything to anyone, but i doubt that would ever happen to any artist.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

What, being universally hated?

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »

I'm sorry, but the only way you could see releasing music as doing it only for yourself would be if you viewed the outside world as put there for your amusement alone. It's another narcissist conceit.
coldforge

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »

I don't bitch! I'll bitch more if you keep titling all your post threads 'new piece up' so I never have any idea what they're about.

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »

What, being universally hated?

hah, well, any famous artist. i could see there being someone who everyone was like "what? this is GOD-AWFUL!" but they'd never become widely known in that case.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »

Vincent Gallo

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:49:25 AM »

i know you are well aware of the fact that the man has fans, regardless of whether any of them are people you'd care to associate with. just because you think the guys who do vice magazine suck doesn't mean they aren't people.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:50:18 AM »

Vincent Gallo is not a person

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:52:23 AM »

Neither is Gavin McInnes, come to think of it

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:52:53 AM »

haha ok man.

alistarr*

« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2008, 04:26:37 AM »

i want to suspect he just said a phrase that didn't capture exactly what he meant. in my head his sentence expands to "i make music without thinking about the potential audience (implied bit due to career choice: which i then distribute to an audience as appropriate, via record pressings and labels and live shows), as opposed to making music with my audience in mind". to which i say yeah okay, fair enough guy, so would i if anyone wanted to hear my music. but then i am always misreading people in ways which suit my own feelings on a matter.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

well, i mean, alistarr, i'm with you, i don't see what else that could mean, but i think john is calling bullshit on that very sentiment.

alistarr*

« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »

oh okay, i misread! and, looking back, i clearly skated over some of the posts upthread a little too quickly.

i thought he was calling out "i don't care if anyone hears/likes my music" which are both clearly different statements.
diesel_powered

« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2008, 03:03:55 AM »

I need to post a big fat response to this when I'm not too sloshed to make good arguments.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Maaik

« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2008, 01:43:13 AM »

Welll, I' am too sloshed to make a good argument, I'ma do it anyway.

I'm w/ tsks on the 'not tht smpl' tip, but as far as dude JD refrenced in the post, I'm w/ JD in callin bullshit.  All we got is dudes's words on the parge: "No. I donít make music for other people."  I checked out the full interview and dude didn't expand on his answer beyond that, so that's all we got to go on in regards to his stance.

INterrupt here to say I know JD's post adresses a wider group of artists (is the solipsist songwriter a potential future strawman?  eh, i'm drunk.  prolly not) but i wanna focus on this blake man.

According to Blake, he makes music only for himself, and in light of that (probably) oversimplified stance, I will call BS.

I need anne the man lessons
G.C.R

« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »

I was watching an interview with Richard Foreman on youtube recently, and he said something that I really liked, he said he made art because he looked at other plays and saw things he liked, but there was still something he wanted to see that wasnt there, so he made it himself. he was giving the advice that you should make something that you yourself would want to see, but that doesnt mean that you are making it only for yourself. The reason you put it out there into the world is the hope that someone else wants to see (or hear) the same things that you do.
This is the only reason I make things or want to make things, because I think I can do something that i would want to see if i came across it and some one else had done it. And I hope that someone else finds value in it too. its possibly narrow minded of me, but I cant think of many other reasons why you would want to create art.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Dylan Thomas

« Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2008, 05:57:16 AM »

I was watching an interview with Richard Foreman on youtube recently, and he said something that I really liked, he said he made art because he looked at other plays and saw things he liked, but there was still something he wanted to see that wasnt there, so he made it himself. he was giving the advice that you should make something that you yourself would want to see, but that doesnt mean that you are making it only for yourself. The reason you put it out there into the world is the hope that someone else wants to see (or hear) the same things that you do.
This is the only reason I make things or want to make things, because I think I can do something that i would want to see if i came across it and some one else had done it. And I hope that someone else finds value in it too. its possibly narrow minded of me, but I cant think of many other reasons why you would want to create art.

I like this . summed up quite nicely
Pages: [1] 2
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: two new pieces up today
Jump to: