Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 08:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: All Is Not Bleak At The Multiplex: Movie Thread  (Read 27223 times)
Babar

« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »

i so wanna see the last three movies mentioned in this thread! i'll probably just see batman though

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
G.C.R

« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:40:57 AM »

(that head-exploding clip that's all over the internet as an animated gif is from "The Brood

Don't you mean Scanners?

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
dumbfish

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2008, 02:05:49 AM »

though Dario later redid this scene with Asia when she was nine).
Is it still OK to "Biggins to thread" here?

And nicely done, Mr. Fey, sir.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
lastclearchance

« Reply #28 on: Jul 09, 2008, 02:16:45 AM »

i'm lookin at a pretty 'citin schedule. mamma mia and batman! man, now all they gotta do is combine em in a double feature

fixed

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #29 on: Jul 09, 2008, 02:46:39 AM »

(that head-exploding clip that's all over the internet as an animated gif is from "The Brood

Don't you mean Scanners?

shit, you're totally right. my bad.

the important point is that it's cronenberg. i think there are exploding body parts in "videodrome" too, though i still haven't seen it. and in "rabid", when you figure out what's actually going on with marilyn chambers, it's simultaneously terrifying and really, really icky. and a wee bit funny, too. when rob and i saw that movie and the part in question happened, we both FREAKED OUT. also, spoiler: to this day, all i have to do is mention "the evil penis from the armpit" to him and we both crack up.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Mike24

« Reply #30 on: Jul 09, 2008, 02:50:54 AM »

As most of you seem to have surmised, "Wanted" is a complete and utter piece of garbage.  The whole experience wasn't a total loss though, since we managed to smuggle assloads of candy into the theatre. 

she doesn't like it too hot, she doesn't like it too cold, room temperature, room temperature
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #31 on: Jul 09, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »

that's a shame since it was based on a graphic novel by the quite talented writer mark millar. but then again, i really expected no less.

Greg Nog

« Reply #32 on: Jul 09, 2008, 11:16:22 AM »

The odd thing is, though, that the comic is basically about comic-book Supervillains, and the movie seems to be about assassins instead.  The comic has this awful, smug mean streak that basically reads like it was written by a thirteen-year-old who just read Preacher for the first time, so the only real joy I found in it was the wacky over-the-top nature of the villains.  With those being turned into just a bunch of human assassins, it seems like the movie couldn't really have any redeeming value.
G.C.R

« Reply #33 on: Jul 09, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »

You know that thing where you get a stack of films out with the one you love, and there's one that they pick that they said that they saw a long time ago and cant really remember but they thought it was good? And you think it looks sorta dull but you go along with it because it means you get to curl up in blankets and rest your head on their chest while you watch it? And then you put it on, and it is fantastically acted, well directed and written, and shot just beautifully? And also happens to be a terribly sexy and romantic film, where they take lots of risks because they love each other, and it all ends very sadly but everything they did was worth it? And then you and the person you love hold each other and think and talk about it for hours even though you should be going to sleep? Do you know that thing?
Because fucking Code 46, man. yeah.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
guanajuato

« Reply #34 on: Jul 09, 2008, 09:55:34 PM »

has anybody talked about 'the signal' yet?

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
guanajuato

« Reply #35 on: Jul 09, 2008, 11:22:32 PM »

well i will talk about the signal. opening scenes:
plain jane girl wakes up to a tv signal that's a dark random cloud. she tries her cellphone. she hears a tongue of flame. she has to go home to her husband. her lover asks her to stay. he gives her a cd with a joy division cover. she listens to it as she goes. she escapes the signal.
on her way home she sees strange, random violence. she gets home. her husband is way too focused. she goes into the bathroom. suddenly her husband is beating his friend with a bat. she goes into the apartment hall. a woman is facing a man carrying hedge clippers. he bites out her throat with the hedge clippers.
her friend tries to strangle her. that's just the beginning. as her lover, her husband (who is affected by the signal and wielding a huge can of bug spray).

best, most gruesome, most innovative, horror film of the year.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Antero

« Reply #36 on: Jul 09, 2008, 11:45:36 PM »

Wall-E is amaaaazing.  A little cramped at the end, but that's the price you pay for a gorgeous 45 minutes of speechless introduction.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
milesofsparks

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »

Wall-E is amaaaazing.  A little cramped at the end, but that's the price you pay for a gorgeous 45 minutes of speechless introduction.

yes!  I saw it last night.  also a great intro short.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Anne the Man

« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:42:51 AM »

I saw Nanook Of The North tonight, with people playing backing music live. It was cool, just a quiet day in the life of an eskimo thing. Cute huskie puppies Very Happy

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Maaik

« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »

has anybody talked about 'the signal' yet?

I'm excited that people really like this movie and that it'll probably gain some sort of big DVD audience cos I know a lot of the people involved in making it--they're mostly Atlanta theater and film people.  One of the directors, Dave Bruckner, is a friend of mine and a member of an irregular writers group I'm part of.  I've seen Justin Wellborn, the guy that plays Ben, in a bunch of plays around town and a lot of the other minor players act and tend bar around town.

But Bruckner's working on getting funding for his next film, which was written by another good friend of mine, so erm, keep an eye out.

All that having been said, I'm a terrible friend because I have not seen this movie yet.

I need anne the man lessons
jebreject

« Reply #40 on: Jul 10, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »

irregular writers group

Eat more fiber?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Maaik

« Reply #41 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »

I need anne the man lessons
davy

« Reply #42 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »

i'm lookin at a pretty 'citin schedule. hellboy and batman! man, now all they gotta do is combine em in a double feature, and serve pigs in a blanket (that shit they served in school which were half grilled cheeses and half hot dogs).

batman will be great, but i'm especially psyched about hellboy. i loved the first one. probably the best casting ever of a major superhero.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Anne the Man

« Reply #43 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »

Really? I thought the first one was LAME. It was all "INSERT CONTRIVED BANTER HERE"x100. I like the look of all the creatures in the new one though. Guillermo del Toro does them kinda things well.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
theartlessmonster

« Reply #44 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

I watched and old movie last night "Bell, Book and Candle" and it occured to me how in old movies people always had bottles of alcohol in glass decanters in thier offices at all times and they use them when people come into thier office!

Can you imagine that? I'm thinking of one of my clients coming into my office and me going "hey so you want some brandy on the rocks?" and it being perfectly normal.

Just an observance...resume real movie talk now...

oh and FYI that was a GREAT movie, please watch it.

Don't be a swiss roll.
coldforge

« Reply #45 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »

I tried to stop myself, but I simply couldn't:

It wouldn't be completely normal, because you don't pour brandy on the rocks.

There. I'm sorry.

l'era del terzo mondo.
davy

« Reply #46 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

i think i've only had brandy once. the bottle--a friend of mine got married and received it as a gift--was like 75 years old and worth hundreds, maybe thousands (?) of dollars. it was really nice.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #47 on: Jul 10, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »

wisconsin is the world's number one consumer of brandy. i'm sure i've mentioned this factoid before, but i feel it bears repeating

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
G.C.R

« Reply #48 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:02:44 PM »

Thanks Jeb now i got the White Stripes stuck in my head.
Killing time before my second Film 101 lecture, today we watch Taxi Driver. Cool. But I really want to get to the bits of the course where we watch things i havent seen.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #49 on: Jul 10, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »

So last night, I saw "Glengarry Glen Ross". All I knew about it was that David Mamet had written it, and that a lot of awesome actors were in it. That was enough for me, as I've always enjoyed Mamet's writing, and it was not a disappointment. As with a lot of Mamet's work that I've seen, it just seemed like a showcase for a bunch of really well-drawn characters to have a lot of interesting and believable conversations. The way the incident that will become the hinge on which the plot turns is first brought into the movie is pretty subtle, and made a lot of sense to me. I was surprised and a bit upset by the twist ending, too. Al Pacino ended up not being in the movie as much as I expected due to his top billing, but the parts he was in were some of my favorites. As a friend of mine commented when I mentioned that I'd seen the movie, "that's a scenery-chewing movie." Pacino is always liable to chew some scenery, and he does a great job of it while he's onscreen. Also, I have to give props to Jack Lemmon, who gave a subtler but ultimately more affecting performance. Pretty great movie, on the whole. I'm gonna have to check out more of Mamet's stuff in the near future.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: All Is Not Bleak At The Multiplex: Movie Thread
Jump to: