Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 02:15:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 42 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: omg it's biden  (Read 10864 times)
John
edit0r

« Reply #75 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »

Wally I love you.
John
edit0r

« Reply #76 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:54:48 AM »

Shulamith Firestone is worth looking into also though her conclusions about the inherently oppressive nature of birth & solutions thereto don't work for me, like, at all, and date her work badly
John
edit0r

« Reply #77 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »

and before anybody asks for clarification, yes, I do mean all presidents have sucked ass

I'm with you on this one, though I seem to recall you saying that you were a big fan of Jimmy Carter.

also, no - while I think he's faulted for a lot of the wrong things, he's an imperialist just like all the rest of them & just like the one we're going to elect in 2008. but this is the problem with political talk these days especially on the internet - "I don't think that's fair to say about Carter"/"I have a sort of fondness for Carter" = "I'm a huge fan!"
RavingLunatic

« Reply #78 on: Aug 24, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

I really don't think we've had enough female leaders to make a decent comparison there. Yes, clearly there can be bad female politicians, no one would argue otherwise, but it's ridiculous that women are so underrepresented in American politics. There's this whole discussion about McCain's wealth, and wealthy politicians in general, and it seems a given to people that a political system of ridiculously rich people is more likely to screw over everyone who isn't rich. Why is it such a stretch then to believe that a political system of mostly men is more likely to do a poor job of taking into consideration the position of women?

You make some good arguments, but I think the real issue is making more fundamental changes in politics and society so that people with the right kind of policy positions can get elected. Without those kinds of changes, I don't see any reason to expect why increasing the percentage of women leaders would lead to improvement any more than I would expect increasing the percentage of leaders who are not fabulously wealthy to make things better. If you're looking at national-level leaders, I don't imagine you would find much of a difference in policy positions between incredibly wealthy leaders and less wealthy leaders. I mean, John Edwards was the only major presidential candidate (Kucinich and Gravell were of course much better) talking about helping poor people, and he was the richest of them all. I see no sense in having supported, say, Biden over Edwards because he's not as rich as him. Similarly, there was no sense in supporting Clinton over any of the others (I think policy-wise she was the worst choice) simply because she is a woman. And the same goes for any other election.

Would the same social and political changes that allow the kind of policy changes we need also allow more women to be elected? I think there's a good chance. But I still think that what really matters is the policies that will be affecting hundreds of millions of people (and women of course), and that to focus narrowly on just electing women doesn't make much sense. To take your example, it makes more sense to focus on changing government policy to help poor people rather than elect poor politicians.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #79 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »

ruh roh Oppression Olympics up ins

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #80 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

I will say though, RL, that (worldwide at least), the problem of patriarchy is the major contributor to the problem of poverty.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #81 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »

I think you're naive if you think Clinton's campaign didn't ask Bill to use his clout with the African-American community to go on the attack.
You mean the clout that he managed to completely lose in the course of his attacks?  He did more damage to Hillary's campaign than good, simply because he was unfocused, choleric, and in love with the taste of his own foot.

Again, ain't saying it wasn't a bad move, I'm just saying it was calculated move.

Ignatius

« Reply #82 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

thanks wally.
Bernard

« Reply #83 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

All politics makes me so nervous I want to barf.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
theartlessmonster

« Reply #84 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »

Also, Mary, I'm surprised anyone as rainbows-and-unicorns as you isn't a starry-eyed liberal.

just to be clear - I am liberal, but if I hear Obama call one more woman reporter "sweetie", I'm gonna lose it. I think he has sat back and has been for the most part silent while sexism was used to defeat Clinton.  I also have other concerns about Obama, aside from my belief he's a sexist. "Clean coal" technically is an oxymoron.  It's like saying "military intelligence".

Anyways, yes, the R v. W bothers me about McCain.

It all bothers me honestly.  But I'm sorry I'm not on the Obama is our savoir bandwagon and believe me around these parts, I have to argue that daily.

Don't be a swiss roll.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #85 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »

Dude in fairness Obama has called a woman "sweetie" in public precisely the number of times McCain has called a woman a "cunt" in public. 

theartlessmonster

« Reply #86 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

can I have the source of that information?

Don't be a swiss roll.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #87 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »

OK, I was wrong, Obama's done it twice, I thought he'd only done it once.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=4870599

"Hold on a second, sweetie. We'll hold a press avail," replied Obama, referring to a structured question and answer session with the media.

Hours later, Obama left Agar a voicemail, apologizing for not answering her question and for calling her "sweetie."

"That's a bad habit of mine," Obama said in the message. "I do it sometimes with all kinds of people. I mean no disrespect and so I am duly chastened on that front."

It apparently is a habit. In an earlier campaign stop, Obama said to a woman, "Sweetie, if I start with a picture I will never get out of here."

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain_temper_boiled_over_in_92_0407.html

Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

edit:  Also in those situations you have:  1) An apology from Obama, 2) An excuse from McCain
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 12:38:21 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #88 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »

Plus, Clinton didn't lose because of sexism. She lost because she thought she was guaranteed the nomination and so didn't organize hre campaign well enough, because she thought she didn't have to. People were sexist to her at ponts, certainly, but that's not why she lost. She came in with a massive amount of goodwill, and if she'd just kept her shit straight, she could have ridden it straight to the nomination just like Kerry rode straight to the nomination in 2004. Clinton's loss is a story of massive campaign fuckups, mostly because of ego-pricks like Mark Penn and Howard Wolfson.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #89 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »

Like Kerry's loss or Gore's loss, it was so effin' close that you can blame it on a variety of things.  Sexism was certainly enough of an issue to explain the margin of victory.  As is the Clinton family baggage, the decision to focus on NH at IA's expense, etc etc.

Personally I like to blame it on Mark Penn being legally retarded

theartlessmonster

« Reply #90 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

and by no means am I a McCain supporter, so this not about that, Obama may just get elected, I don't know, but I just don't believe he's the leader we've all been waiting for, he's disapointed me on several occasions already.

I loathe being put in a position of voting for someone I don't believe in because it's the lesser of two evils, but I suppose it's pretty much how it goes in politics.  

also, he promised a woman he'd give her a kiss if she voted for him. COME ON!

Don't be a swiss roll.
Ignatius

« Reply #91 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »

a kiss on the butt, i hope!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #92 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »

Look, you don't want Roe v. Wade overturned, and I don't want to die in Iran, so just vote for Obama/Biden, OK?  

Greg Nog

« Reply #93 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:49:34 PM »

Aren't you too old to be drafted?
Illest Waffle

« Reply #94 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »

You want to know what is fucking sexist? The old black lady in the liquor shop that calls me Sugar. Like, can you fucking believe that bitch? Hilary ever calls someone Sugar and you best fucking believe I'm going to vote for a twat like Nader or McCain.

Everyone needs to seriously reign their labia under control and not fuck this up again. What? You think Barack is just going to shuck n' jive at 3AM? You hate your god-given nuts? You're just like that woman in Central Park telling me that if I don't sign her petition to put Naider on the ballot her white tubby unshaven ass would be disenfranchised? Fuck your noise.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #95 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »

Look, you don't want Roe v. Wade overturned, and I don't want to die in Iran, so just vote for Obama/Biden, OK? 

i can't prevent your death no matter who i vote for.  

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 12:52:55 PM by theartlessmonster » Logged

Don't be a swiss roll.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #96 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »

Aren't you too old to be drafted?

ha, by the time it became an issue I probably would be.

I'm trying to make a point here Greg

Illest Waffle

« Reply #97 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »

i can't prevent your death no matter who i vote for.  

FAILBOMB

What it comes down to is empathy. You can up and say that the patriarchy this and the patriarchy that, but really it is all about being able to put yourself in the other man or woman's shoes and humanities inherent selfishness.

Artless has lived a life of solitude and emptiness so she can't be expected to understand the plight of people who won't die alone and loved.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 01:03:32 PM by Illest Waffle » Logged
Ignatius

« Reply #98 on: Aug 24, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »

I thought he meant the 'blucas' western blood must be spilled to appease the mullah' platform McCain's been pushing.
DCDave

« Reply #99 on: Aug 24, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »

Clean Coal technology is a massive improvement over the way coal power plants currently run.  The DoE penalizes current Coal fired plants from renovating, by allowing them to operate as grandfathered plants, unless they renovate themselves, in which case they are subject to more stringent guidelines.  By getting rid of the grandfathering rules and mandating clean coal you're talking about not only making energy cheaper (You get more MWs out of clean coaled plants because they refire emissions) but you're making it cleaner by drastically cutting down on the amount of methane introduced into the atmosphere.  It's a stop-gap, temporary solution, and I don't think Obama is saying "Let's just use clean-coal".

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: omg it's biden
Jump to: