Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 25, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657786 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: no certainty here . . . I think  (Read 30553 times)
auto-da-fey

« on: Oct 30, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »

I'm not sure this thread isn't redundant, since I haven't been keeping up, but shit, that just puts me in the right spirit anyway, so here it is.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

Very soon, I will have to write a shootout at an abandoned warehouse scene for my novel and I'm not sure I can make it dramatic enough to feel satisfying based on the way the plot has been constructed so far. As it is, my main characters are basically going to set it into motion and get the fuck out, leaving two other groups to take each other out. But I'm not sure if it will feel like an anticlimax. And I'm not sure how I'd fix it if I decided it was anticlimactic. It's frustrating.

I think I will probably just write it and try to fix it in revisions if that seems necessary, but nonetheless I feel uncertain about the entire thing.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
girl

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »

That made me think of the fight scene in the mannequin factory from Killer's Kiss. If the scene seems draggy, you could cut back and forth to what your main characters are doing. (?)

this is a story and you're not in it
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »

Unfortunately, no, I can't. The entire story is told in first person, which is why I'm having this problem.

The_Tourist

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »

apparently i have to dress up for halloween tomorrow. ugh.

i am an uncertain as to what i should wear and how i will get it (i have maybe an hour between work and needing to have my crap).

we have the money for missiles and fun
Ignatius

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:58:23 AM »

What I usually do is pull out the red and white striped shirt and claim Waldo (keep the glasses on) or gondolier (fake moustache).
Greg Nog

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »

Unfortunately, no, I can't. The entire story is told in first person, which is why I'm having this problem.

Have the protagonist run outside just as the action's starting, then hear a huge explosion, then run inside to discover a smoking crater and no people anywhere.  His eyes narrow, and he whispers, "Tunguska."
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

Hah, that would be pretty funny, though it wouldn't make any sense in light of the rest of the story. Doesn't matter, though--pieces of the scene are slowly falling into place.

davy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

Very soon, I will have to write a shootout at an abandoned warehouse scene for my novel and I'm not sure I can make it dramatic enough to feel satisfying

This is an uncertainty I experienced pretty frequently back in my fiction writing days. It apparently didn't scare me away from writing about that stuff, as most of my stories featured some sort of violent/dramatic event as a pivot point, but yeah, I struggled with it. It's hard to write crazy shit sometimes.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

My big realization this morning was that I'm in control as the writer, and that I can make anything happen, no matter how unlikely or implausible, as long as it doesn't violate the laws of the reality in which my story takes place. I kept finding myself thinking about stuff like "Oh no, I can't have them try this really crazy thing, they'll get shot!" or whatever, as if I don't have control of that. I'm the writer--they don't get shot unless I say they get shot. So that realization has freed me up to let my imagination go a bit more wild, and now it's starting to come together.

diesel_powered

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »

So I think I'm calling into work today. I worked all fucking weekend through this whole kidney thing because it was a job that I literally couldn't call into, but now it's Monday and back to my normal job and I really just need a couple days of rest and recovery. Honestly, I can't think of a more legitimate reason to call into work than a health problem necessitating a trip to the doctor's office, but since it's a freelance job and freelance jobs give you more or less work depending on your level of commitment, this is a worrisome development. I also could say I need the money, but I did just spend the weekend working my ass off. Will I get fired? We'll see. Probably not.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
diesel_powered

« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

Update:

Me: Blah blah blah, kidney infection.

Boss: Um.... is it contagious?

Me: Uh...no? But I would describe it as painful and uncomfortable??

WTF? Like, if I said no, then I should come into work?
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008, 09:04:22 AM by diesel_powered » Logged

coldforge

« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:19:14 AM »

That is the reason that most people give sick time, yeah.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
diesel_powered

« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »

And I figured feeling-shitty-interfering-with-ability-to-work would probably be reason #2. But then again, most places I've worked have assumed that I'm calling in sick because I'm sick and not because I'm trying to scam something. I realize this is abnormal, but it's not like I'm getting paid to sit around my apartment and feel like shit.

DCDave

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »

He might have been wondering if you were the reason it burned when he peed.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2008, 11:47:14 PM »

NZ elections tomorrow. Has been looking good for National (Boo! Hiss!) for a while but todays polls show a definate tightening up. On another plus side the Green Party are polling at 10% which is fucking awesome. To see the Tories lose to a greens/labour alliance when everyone, esp the press, are considering it a forgone conclusion would make my year.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Good Intentions

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2008, 11:54:32 PM »

You see the Herald's poll? It has the Greens polling at a little under 6%. Fucking dishrag of a paper.

They also had a series of profiles with 'real people' in todays opinion, all voting for the far right, of course,

Also, if I hear one more person say something like 'let's vote for National and real change' I might have to vomit down their throats.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2008, 11:57:57 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2008, 12:24:56 AM »

Poll published on herald website this arvo shows greens at 10%. Ain't over yet buddy.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz-election-2008/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501799&objectid=10541702

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Good Intentions

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2008, 12:43:01 AM »

Yeah, that's the Roy Morgan poll, ie the not-totally-shit one. Maybe it's only a little shit. Maybe its golden, I don't fucking know, the waters around public discussion of the election is as dirty as a sewer. I do know that the hardened Labour support I know of have basically not bothered getting their hands dirty in the public scene. That the coverage (read, the Herald and John Campbell's coverage) has been a fucking hash is so obvious if you look at how the Greens have canvassed every flat surface with their message and haven't received a peep of attention, except for a 'those fucking hippies throw in with pinko Labour again, surprise surprise' blip a little while back.

Nonetheless, my union hasn't been quiet, and a lot of people have been spreading the message behind the scenes. We'll see how it looks tomorrow night.
Good Intentions

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »

Seriously, National has really gotten up my nose. It's one thing be business-as-usual and ineffective, it's another to lie to my face and treat me like a fucking idiot.

Here's a glimpse of the NZ electoral race for you unfortunate enough not to reside in Godzone (John Key is the leader of the opposition National Party):
A National supporter tried to wrestle a megaphone from Wayne Ruscoe, one of about a dozen Labour supporters chanting "John Key is the anti-Obama".

The Key supporter, who refused to be named but said he was a former National Party member, ripped the megaphone off Mr Ruscoe and told him to move on.

Police initially refused to interfere, but later stood between the two as the National supporter refused to listen to other party members who tried to stop him.

Another National supporter, retired pharmacist Cameron Duncan, also took issue with Mr Ruscoe telling him: "Why don't you go jump into bed with your lesbian partner".

He also tried to take the megaphone off Mr Ruscoe.

Mr Key gave a stump speech to about 100 placard-waving supporters as the scuffles took place.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz-election-2008/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501799&objectid=10541656
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2008, 12:51:05 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »

At the far edges of the cosmos, unknown "structures" are tugging at the universe

On the outskirts of creation, unknown, unseen "structures" are tugging on our universe like cosmic magnets, a controversial new study says.

Everything in the known universe is said to be racing toward the massive clumps of matter at more than 2 million miles (3.2 million kilometers) an hour—a movement the researchers have dubbed dark flow.

The presence of the extra-universal matter suggests that our universe is part of something bigger—a multiverse—and that whatever is out there is very different from the universe we know, according to study leader Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

The theory could rewrite the laws of physics. Current models say the known, or visible, universe—which extends as far as light could have traveled since the big bang—is essentially the same as the rest of space-time (the three dimensions of space plus time).

This is in the uncertain thread, because on the one hand, WHOA COOL SCIENCE! But on the other hand, OMG THIS SCARES ME.

jebreject

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »

Whoa.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Bernard

« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »

My big realization this morning was that I'm in control as the writer, and that I can make anything happen, no matter how unlikely or implausible, as long as it doesn't violate the laws of the reality in which my story takes place. I kept finding myself thinking about stuff like "Oh no, I can't have them try this really crazy thing, they'll get shot!" or whatever, as if I don't have control of that. I'm the writer--they don't get shot unless I say they get shot. So that realization has freed me up to let my imagination go a bit more wild, and now it's starting to come together.

It's great that you're feeling freed, but it's not a horrible idea for stuff to be a bit plausible.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »

Oh, it's plausible. Mostly.

diesel_powered

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

I think that the best fiction is like that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: no certainty here . . . I think
Jump to: