Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 30, 2014, 09:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Machinefabriek and 9 other artists  (Read 60382 times)
alex

« Reply #225 on: Jun 22, 2009, 09:12:11 AM »

Yes, man, you should. Excellent value for money!

As for that Maher Shalal Hash Baz thing, I get spastic just thinking about it. (I'd say that a whole bunch of those songs are bound to be too short to be picked up by last.fm at all, but I guess your point still stands.)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #226 on: Jun 22, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »

The whole too-short-to-be-picked-up-by-last-fm thing has been a problem the whole time for people like me who like grindcore. I'll play a 25 song Hellnation album and last fm will recognize three of the songs. If I listen to any of the Aerosols records I can expect almost none of their songs to show up. With bands like Brutal Truth or Das Oath who at least mostly have longer songs it's less of a problem, but I definitely have artists on my last fm account that are grossly underrepresented in terms of accuracy.

Anyway, since I've had my account running again for the last month or so, here is a list:

1    Dinosaur Jr.    24

New album, "Farm," played through about a time and a half. It's good stuff, not quite as triumphantly awesome as "Beyond" but definitely A material from these guys. I'm sure it'll get played a lot more in the coming months.

2    Swarm of the Lotus    22

After talking about how great "When White Becomes Black" is in the albums of the decade thread, I had to put it on a couple of times myself. Sure enough, still great. Fucking crushing, in fact.

3    Guilt    20

I've had the CD compilation of Guilt's non-Victory Records releases for a really long time. In fact, it was given to me by their singer/guitarist, Duncan Barlow, when my band played with his post-Guilt band By The Grace Of God in 2000. I had no money on that tour but was drooling over the CD, and he was like "You can have it." What a nice guy. I gave him a copy of our CD, but I doubt he's played it as much as I've played that Guilt album. Anyway, for some reason I spent years and years never even bothering to check out the two albums on Victory, "Bardstown Ugly Box" and "Further." The Guilt interview in "Burning Fight" persuaded me to, though. My god, I can't believe I was sleeping on these. Especially "Further"--what a fucking blistering wall of noise that record is. I'll probably spend the next decade playing these records just as much as I've played the other stuff over the past decade.

3    Downcast    20

Another "Burning Fight" inspired playlist choice. These guys were very important to me when I was getting really into hardcore, back when I was 18. I made a post about that elsewhere on the board, with drop.io files and everything, so search for that if you're curious and missed it the first time. In short, though, these guys kick out some excellent midtempo hardcore with a powerful groove to it. Lots of headbanging when I play these records.

5    Burn    19

Yet another "Burning Fight" inspiration. I never really gave Burn a chance back in the day, because I thought of them as tough guys and thought the singer's later band, Orange 9mm, was crappy. Recently, though, I've completely re-evaluated Orange 9mm, and actually really like them now. So I figured I should reevaluate Burn's 3 EPs as well. What do you know, they're great. I'm not actually as into the one EP they released in the early 90s when they were originally together as I am into the two they did in the early 2000s, which, funnily enough, sound more like Orange 9mm than the first EP does. It's all really good metallic hardcore, though. Sorta like a heavier Quicksand.

5    Das Oath    19

Well, what can I say about these guys, other than I love them. Fucking noisy freakout grind/hardcore with a track of guitar feedback running underneath the rest of the music to add to the level of chaos. On the rare occasions that they actually slow down and hit a groove, it's thick as fuck, but mostly this is just blistering noise that flies by you at 1000 mph.

5    Coalesce    19

Another "Burning Fight" inspired listen, but I've always loved these guys, and this was an example of me returning to records I've played to death in the past but just haven't listened to in a while. I gave myself a horrible crick in my neck at one point by air drumming and headbanging at the same time. That was to their song "Simulcast," which is a total mosh song that complicates things by having a one-beat pause right in the middle of the main riff. I can imagine this being one of those songs that causes people to fall down in mid-mosh on the dance floor.

8    Badfinger    18

There was something in Buddyhead this week, weirdly enough, about how great Badfinger were. I would never argue with that in a million years, and it made me want to listen to the greatest hits comp I have by them. Which was a blast. "No Matter What" will always be one of the all-time great power pop jams.

9    Doom    17

This is MF Doom, not "Fuck Peaceville" Doom. This was my third or so time playing "Born Like This," and I'm starting to really like it. I think it stands up to his best work, like Madvillain and the Viktor Vaughn records. I may have to go buy this one.

10    Angel Hair    15

Another band that I just fucking love unreservedly. Spastic, chaotic, and ultimately kind of dark and gothic hardcore from the mid-90s (includes a cover of Bauhaus's "Stigmata Martyr," just to prove that it really is that dark). I will probably sing this band's praises on a semi-regular basis for the rest of the time LPTJ exists. Get used to it.

10    Dive    15

Another indirect "Burning Fight" inspiration. I was just listening to a lot of 90s hardcore last week, and some of the bands that are referenced in "Burning Fight" led me to this band, who aren't. I've had their three EPs on my computer for at least a year now, but never gave them a proper listen before. They're pretty great--kind of a mix of that whole Quicksand-ish post-hardcore thing with some more melodic influences from the emo bands of the period, but still solidly grounded in hardcore, to a greater extent than you'd think from that description. Rare stuff, but worth a listen if you come across it.

12     Ressurection    14

Another "Burning Fight" inspired choice. It's really too bad about how crappy this band's recordings are, considering how good their songs are. Ressurection (who misspelled their name on purpose, as explained in "Burning Fight") had some members of 108, and although 108 guitarist Vic DiCara (whom I consider the real brains behind that particular operation) was not involved, you can nonetheless hear a lot of the same chaotic sounds that came through on 108 records later in Ressurection's work. There's none of the sheer noise that DiCara liked to scatter all over the place, but Rob Fish's vocals are every bit as frantic and hectic as they are on 108 records, and a lot of these songs ("Bleed" and "I Refuse" come immediately to mind) are just as angrily anthemic as the best 108 jams. Again, they're hurt by poor recording quality, but in the end still worth listening to.

12    Counting Crows    14

Went to sleep listening to "Recovering the Satellites" the other night.

14    Trial    13

The last of the "Burning Fight" inspired plays. This was me finally giving some serious attention to "Are These Our Lives?", Trial's only full-length album, which was basically recorded by the singer and guitarist and some friends after the real band had broken up. It's always been considered a hardcore classic, but for some reason I've never really checked it out. I guess it's pretty good, although the singer's voice takes some getting used to. He's a bit more standardly old-school hardcore than I tend to like, meaning he kind of yells in a monotone rather than screaming or singing at all. It's not a dealbreaker--once I got used to his voice I really liked the record--but it could be better. Maybe this isn't the classic everyone says it is, quite, but it's still pretty good.

15    The Knife    12

I'm trying to form a more developed opinion of these guys, since the most recent issue of Phonogram (a great comic about "phonomancers"--people who do magic with music--that mostly takes place in the British indie scene) focused heavily on their music. I've gotten some really great recommendations from Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie over the last year or so, just by reading their comics, so I take it seriously if they're into a band I haven't checked out yet. That said, I'm having trouble getting into The Knife. I like "Heartbeats" and a couple of other songs, but as a whole it's not really clicking for me yet. I'll give it more time in the next week or two, I'm sure.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
On Reflection

« Reply #227 on: Jun 22, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »

1) Oh No - 86
I've only listened to this album (Dr. No's Oxperiment) 2 times this week, but it's 30ish tracks long, and only 39mins long, so yet another instance of last.fm's fallible counting system. Anyway, this is Madlib's brother and he works in a similar vein, but with this album he's used samples primarily from Italian and Turkish records, psychedelic and rock type stuff worked into vague hip-hop with each track lasting a minute or so. The bass is a bit indistinct and even at times annoying, but the the album is pretty good stuff.
2) Main Source - 36
3) Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - 32
Bit of a hip-hop week here, the first album (Breaking The Atom) is known as an out-of-print classic, it's pretty good I suppose. The second (Mecca And The Soul Brother) I haven't listened to enough yet, but there are some great tracks on it.
4) Balmorhea - 26
*Boomkat-approved band alert* All Is Wild All Is Silent is really good, post-rock in the sense of it being almost completely instrumental, uses a rock set-up, with violin and piano and handclaps, all quite sweeping. There's a Dirty Three feeling to it all, pretty evocative music that has a slight edge, and you could also say Rachel's too. The first track, 'Settler', is amazing, I get much the same feeling from the first track off of Godspeed's Lift Yr Skinny Fists, a soaring positive happy song, which is (somewhat unfortunately) a rare sighting in my listening habits. Only my first three plays of the album, but it's going to get a lot more.
5) De La Soul - 24
6) Viktor Vaughn - 23
More hip-hop here with the Venomous Villain. A great album, he just sounds so flipping cool, his voice, the delivery, the tossed-off feel to it but at the same time the accuracy and sharpness of it. The productions are amazing too.
7) The Declining Winter - 22
One half of veteran British indie greats Hood. Not unlike a Hood album either, miserable and wry, serious and silly. Mixture of chilly electronic textures and acoustic songs.
8) Jneiro Jarel - 21
Lots of filler on Three Piece Puzzle, an interesting breezy/summery album all the same. The sort of thing I think of as a producer's hip-hop album, more interesting music than raps.
8) One Be Lo - 21
I still like this album a lot, but the start and finish are pretty weak.
10) The Chills - 19
Need to listen to this (Kaleidoscope World) more.

Not listed: Bowerbirds new album, which I am going to be reviewing in a couple of weeks. It's great!

edison

« Reply #228 on: Jun 22, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »

What's the cut-off length for last.fm, actually? 30 seconds, right?
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #229 on: Jun 22, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »

4 Evangelista 19
Hello, Voyager! is one of these albums that's been on my hard drive for quite a long time, but I never got around listening to it until I saw that Carla Bozulich was headlining an evening of the jazz festival in Mulhouse in August (with Fred Frith opening!). It's pretty damn intense - perhaps too intense for after-work listening, but damn impressive as well.

Yes. if you have a chance to go see her, definitely take it. I saw the band live before I ever heard the album and it was (as you said) one of the most intense performances I've seen.

And I haven't heard much Maher Shalal Hash Baz really, but I've been listening to this Tori/Reiko Kudo album called "light" that's beautiful, all rumbling piano and soft singing in different directions. http://drop.io/catnekocatneko
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009, 02:03:04 PM by Trousers and Pat » Logged

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #230 on: Jun 22, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

What's the cut-off length for last.fm, actually? 30 seconds, right?

Pretty sure. Hellnation's songs tend to be between 20 and 40 seconds, so at least half of them don't show up at all.

narlus

« Reply #231 on: Jun 22, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »

paul metzger is mesmerizing.

davy

« Reply #232 on: Jun 22, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »

1 Tom Waits 43
I've been revisiting (or discovering, depending on the albums) early Tom Waits, inspired by reading Barney Hoskyns's unauthorized biography about the man, and also listening to random other favourites from my collection (boy is "Hoist that Rag" an incredible song). This is all quite enjoyable (the book is too - a lot of the LA descriptions made me think of Whit, somehow!), so I'll continue over the next few weeks.

I picked that book up at Borders today and flipped through it. For some reason, it was shelved in the "American Biography" section (I would've looked for it in Music). Anyway, it looks good, and it's thicker than I expected.

Oddly large type, though.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #233 on: Jun 29, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »

15    The Knife    12

I'm trying to form a more developed opinion of these guys, since the most recent issue of Phonogram (a great comic about "phonomancers"--people who do magic with music--that mostly takes place in the British indie scene) focused heavily on their music. I've gotten some really great recommendations from Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie over the last year or so, just by reading their comics, so I take it seriously if they're into a band I haven't checked out yet. That said, I'm having trouble getting into The Knife. I like "Heartbeats" and a couple of other songs, but as a whole it's not really clicking for me yet. I'll give it more time in the next week or two, I'm sure.

Hi Andrew. I'm not at all sure you'll like it, but you defininitely want to listen to Silent Shout before you write off The Knife. Also, perhaps Fever Ray's 09 album. As I say, I know you're a catholic, unpigeonholeable mother, but I wouldn't necessarily have placed The Knife in your, albeit voluminous, bag.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #234 on: Jun 30, 2009, 04:09:21 AM »

1 Tom Waits 60
More travels through Tom Waits' career; not necessarily coherent, from the entirety of Blue Valentine to Real Gone highlights ("Hoist That Rag"!). A friend was nice enough to upload The Black Rider for me, which was one of the few gaps in my knowledge of the man's discography left to fill.

2 Future of the Left 58
This new Future of the Left album, although I remain a bit unconvinced by "The Hope That House Built" and "Drink Nike", is really, really a thing of beauty. Not only is the whole thing obviously catchy as fuck, Falco's getting even more effective as a lyricist, too. I mean, the album has about 38 mordant, laugh-out-loud funny lines, but even after ten or fifteen listens, interesting layers keep revealing themselves. Where's the LPTJ love for this?

3 Jay Reatard 25

4 Deerhoof 20

5 Sunset Rubdown 15
I believe last year I started a short-lived thread about the greatness of the song "The Mending of the Gown", out of the Random Spirit Lover album, and how I couldn't really listen to the rest of the album. The new album also has a song whose unbridled joy and scary catchiness kind of obscures the rest ("Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!"), but I've been doing some digging in both albums and starting to really enjoy them as a whole (although occasionally I am a bit put off by some of Krug's vocal mannerisms and less successful lyrics).

5 Machinefabriek 15
Shuffle and Marijn soundtracked a hazy, sleepy, hot and rainy Saturday afternoon lying in the sofa. They did an excellent job.

7 Kim Doo Soo 14

8 A.C. Newman 12

9 William Fowler Collins 10
Huge, menacing, long metallic drones from New Mexico sound artist guy with a new album out on Type (Perdition Hill Radio). The song titles give you a good idea of what he's going for ("Graverobbing in Texas", "Dark Country Road") - it's pretty effective, I would say.

10 Paul Metzger 3
Yes, I finally got Deliverance from emusic. I was somehow expecting it to sound weirder, or less like a regular banjo, but I did really, really like it. Also part of the soundtrack to my Saturday afternoon, that one.
Nick Ink

« Reply #235 on: Jun 30, 2009, 04:20:10 AM »

9 William Fowler Collins 10
Huge, menacing, long metallic drones from New Mexico sound artist guy with a new album out on Type (Perdition Hill Radio). The song titles give you a good idea of what he's going for ("Graverobbing in Texas", "Dark Country Road") - it's pretty effective, I would say.

I'd never heard of him until this album, but I keep noticing it here and there and it sounds quite interesting. I think its evil power might be pulling me in.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #236 on: Jun 30, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »

Nick, I listened to "Silent Shout" last night, and while I don't love it all, it's definitely better than "Deep Cuts," and I do love multiple songs on it. I'll get back to you after I've played it a few more times.

ellaguru

« Reply #237 on: Jun 30, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »

That reminds me that I should be checking out The Knife as well. I do like Fever Ray (who, Andrew, is the lady of the duo that is The Knife).

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #238 on: Jun 30, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »

I see. I'm not sure what I'd think of her by herself--I can't tell if it's her contributions or her brother's that I like more, but I lean towards thinking it's his. I really have no way of knowing though.

Nick Ink

« Reply #239 on: Jul 01, 2009, 05:22:21 AM »

I see. I'm not sure what I'd think of her by herself--I can't tell if it's her contributions or her brother's that I like more, but I lean towards thinking it's his. I really have no way of knowing though.

Fever Ray sounds very similar, musically, to The Knife. I'd have thought it was a new Knife album had I not known differently.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #240 on: Jul 01, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot.

Nick Ink

« Reply #241 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »

1    Grouper    40
The first half of a massive three day Grouper session that continues even as I type. Cover The Windows & The Walls was my first and so is the one closest to my heart, but all of these albums are crawling with sad, infectious, clanky, muffled beauty.

2    Machinefabriek    20
Ah, a little scoot through the too quickly forgotten Stukjes while playing keepy uppy with a crutch and a balloon (record, while remaining seated = 26)

3    Alva Noto    7
Xerrox Vol.2.  2009 has to be the year of the grainy textured drone.

4    Inca Ore    6
These short tracks are from the split with Grouper. Similar echoey, submerged aesthetic with a few more experimental turnings thrown in. Odd stuff.

5    Taylor Deupree    5
Taylor Deupree is the owner of 12K records, who have already released a few brilliant records this year (inc. Lawrence English's A Colour For Autumn, Guiseppe Ielasi's Aix, Pillowdiver's Sleeping Pills and Seaworthy's 1897. This is a collection of live drone recordings.

6    Pillowdiver    4
6     Stephan Mathieu + Taylor Deupree    4

6    Wouter van Veldhoven    4
A rerun through the 4-song 40 minute Four Simple Songs For Five Dead Bumblebees. Followers of Machinefabriek's more delicate, field recording-based releases (Box Music, for example) would love this.

6    William  Basinski    4
92982 - gorgeous!

10    Bill Callahan    3
I like this album, but I find I usually just listen to 3 or 4 of the best songs from it.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #242 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

Let's see where I am this week:

1    The Spill Canvas    44

I need to write a blog entry about these guys. I discovered them at a point when all my favorite emo bands of the early part of this decade had either stopped making records for a while or flat-out started to suck. I decided to check out some of the bands that teenybopper kids on Myspace who liked Fall Out Boy and Taking Back Sunday also liked. I found these guys, who at first didn't do it for me because they're way more alt-rock sounding and less hardcore-influenced than FOB and TBS. But after a while, they caught on for me, since a lot of their songs are really catchy, especially "To Live Without It," which probably accounted for 10 of these plays all by itself. Lately, I've really been enjoying their stuff.

2    Every Time I Die    40

Mostly their album "The Big Dirty," which I at first thought was the beginning of a downhill slide, back when it came out two years ago. What's surprised me in recent months is just how much it's grown on me. Back when I first got it I thought the first and last songs were the only really great ones, but maybe the others just took longer to stick with me, because now I listen to it all the way through and like every song. For those who don't know, these guys are a formerly technical metalcore band who've evolved into this hybrid of metalcore mosh and swaggering rock n' roll a la Murder City Devils. It's good shit.

3    Moss Icon    33

My friend Brandon was texting me about this band yesterday, and I had the "oh yeah, THAT band" reaction and played through their discography. Some of it is still fascinating to me--that a hardcore band at the dawn of the 90s released an album with a 12 minute song on it is kind of amazing. The more standard hardcore songs on here aren't the greatest, but thankfully that's a minority of their work, and there are at least 20 or so delightfully weird tracks here to spend an hour and a half with.

4    Kate Nash    25

Oh, I just love this. Snotty 20 year old British girl writes uncomfortably honest and incredibly catchy album about being insecure and having a terrible time handling relationships. I'm into it.

5    Refused    24

We talked plenty about "Shape Of Punk To Come" elsewhere on the board this week. Inspired by that conversation, I've been playing it a lot, and not just or even mostly on the computer.

6    Jay Reatard    18

Been listening to the new album. Seems like a worthy continuation of what he was doing on the Matador singles. I've heard a bunch of internet talk about how Jay isn't any good at lo-fi New Zealand-style pop, and should stick to garage punk or whatever, but I for one disagree completely. I'd love for him to make four more albums like this (and wouldn't be surprised if he did so within the next year).

7     Garden Variety    17

Both albums. These guys are like a cross between Jawbreaker circa "Bivouac" and Lou Barlow era Dinosaur Jr. I've loved them dearly ever since I bought their first album in 1997. That record has a song called "Hat Head" on it which is about days when you're a total mess and then suddenly realize you have to leave the house even though you weren't planning to, and you walk around all day feeling like a scuzzball. It's one of my favorite songs ever. But I love all their other stuff too.

8    Meic Stevens    13

Read about this guy in Ugly Things, then later saw his album "Outlander" for download on an mp3 blog. Figured I'd give it a shot. That was a good call. It's great British Isles psychedelic folk from the very early 70s. I'd think fans of Bert Jansch and Fairport Convention would find something to like here.

9    Sonic Youth    11

Don't remember playing these guys at all this week. I'm guessing this was yet another listen through to "The Eternal," which I love. I should buy myself a copy, in fact. They deserve my 12 bucks.

10    Sun Kil Moon    10

"Ghosts Of The Great Highway." I've never loved another Sun Kil Moon release this much, although I sometimes wonder whether I just didn't give "April" enough time to grow on me ("Tiny Cities" had more than enough). I'll probably be going back to this one fairly regularly for the rest of my life.

Thermofusion

« Reply #243 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »

10    Sun Kil Moon    10

"Ghosts Of The Great Highway."

I'll probably be going back to this one fairly regularly for the rest of my life.

Same. I feel I have a deep connection to this album in I suppose the same way other people feel about NMH or whatever (though it stops well short of getting shitty tattoos). Never got into Kozelek's other work as much, even the other SKM albums--but this one has its own magic. Great late night bittersweet melancholy chill out type a' album.

triple paisley minimum
ellaguru

« Reply #244 on: Jul 20, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

8    Meic Stevens    13

Read about this guy in Ugly Things, then later saw his album "Outlander" for download on an mp3 blog. Figured I'd give it a shot. That was a good call. It's great British Isles psychedelic folk from the very early 70s. I'd think fans of Bert Jansch and Fairport Convention would find something to like here.

Outlander's really good. I haven't heard any of his other stuff - evidently lots of it is sung in Welsh (only a couple Welsh tracks on Outlander).

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
girl

« Reply #245 on: Jul 20, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »

(record, while remaining seated = 26)

Impressive!

this is a story and you're not in it
Nick Ink

« Reply #246 on: Jul 21, 2009, 05:05:11 AM »

(record, while remaining seated = 26)

Impressive!

My crutch manipulation skills are pretty advanced at this stage, thank you for noticing.

Nick Ink

« Reply #247 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »

1    Grouper    37
Last week's Liz Harris binge continued. One of those artists whose music gets more interesting the more familiar you get with it.

2    The Fiery Furnaces    28
I think we've all established that the new Fiery Furnaces album is great and now it's just a case of pinpointing exactly how great it is. Lost At Sea is the only less than wonderful song on there to these ears and my favourite tracks at the moment are Drive To Dallas, Charmaine Champagne, Staring At The Steeple, Keep Me In The Dark and Take Me Round Again. Have you noticed how the song titles appear in the lyrics to other tracks?

3    Asher    26
The Miniatures double album. Simple piano figures (apparently not his, but stolen from the radio) crawl waist-deep through the static. Brilliant.

4    Machinefabriek    24
I've been listening to quite a lot of Rutger recently, especially the recent Shuffle album, which is a gorgeous study in isolated only-ever-so-slightly- processed sounds, last year's Dauw and Ranonkel, and the longer drones of Gris Gris and Vloed. Also in these stats are the tracks he did with Soccer Committee for the beautiful Drawn album. Related to that, I've been really enjoying the V/A version of that album (Redrawn) featuring people like Taylor Deupree, The North Sea, Mark Templeton, Lawrence English, Peter Broderick, Xela and others.

Drawn                               Redrawn

5    Stephan Mathieu + Taylor Deupree    19
This is the new album, Transcriptions. Eight different-coloured drones flecked with various electronic ear candy.

6    Ricardo Villalobos    15
Mostly a few plays of the Achso EP from a few years back, still my favourite of his releases

7    Gregg Kowalsky    14
Tape Chants. Very minimal, deep, bassy drone album

8    Animal Collective    11
Merriweather Post Pavilion is still my favourite pop record this year.

9    Willits + Sakamoto    6
Last year's gorgeous Ocean Fire album on 12K

10    Yellow Swans    5
ieatrats reminded me I needed to listen to At All Ends again.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2009, 10:22:01 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

edison

« Reply #248 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

2    The Fiery Furnaces    28
I think we've all established that the new Fiery Furnaces album is great and now it's just a case of pinpointing exactly how great it is. Lost At Sea is the only less than wonderful song on there to these ears and my favourite tracks at the moment are Drive To Dallas, Charmaine Champagne, Staring At The Steeple, Keep Me In The Dark and Take Me Round Again. Have you noticed how the song titles appear in the lyrics to other tracks?

I have established nothing so far, as I have only ordered the record from Thrill Jockey last Friday, but this makes me pretty excited!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #249 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »

Let's see what I've got for you guys this week...

1    Make Do and Mend    39

This is a really good band with two EPs out that sound sort of like Hot Water Music or something like that. Which makes me think of bands I'm tired of, so it's actually a good bit better than that description sounds. But yeah, melodic yet gruff, and emotional as hell. Catchy, good stuff.

2    The House of Love    23

This was me listening to the Creation sessions one time through. I'm still trying to figure out what everyone thinks is so great about The House Of Love. I still don't think they're much more than mediocre, and since a lot of people who love a lot of music that I also think is great love House Of Love, I figure there might be something there that I'm missing. Haven't found it yet.

3    Moss Icon    18

Talked about these guys last week. Still listening to them.

4     the summer we went west    16

This is a band that The Catalyst played with in DC once, who had some serious overwrought 90s era emo stuff going on, but also managed to write some pretty catchy songs that they'd play between bouts of rolling around on the floor. I downloaded both of their EPs recently because I wondered whether they'd hold up better in a non-live environment. Turns out... eh. There are a few good songs on each EP, and then a bunch of bullshit fuckaround stuff. Acoustic guitar noodling, people talking over ambient noise, etc. It seems like this band had several good song ideas over the course of their existence, but rather than flesh those out and work up a kickass full set, they mostly just coasted on those few ideas and a lot of overdone emoting. Wasted potential.

4    R.E.M.    16

This was me listening to "Murmur" the other day because it's the only IRS era album by REM that I have on my computer. I was more in the mood for "Reckoning" but didn't feel like going downstairs and locating my vinyl copy. This album totally hit the spot, though, so it wasn't a problem.

4    The Dukes of Stratosphear    16

There's a collection called "Chips From The Chocolate Fireball" that compiles both of the EPs that XTC recorded under this pseudonym, and that's what I was listening to. The Dukes are XTC doing garage/psych sounding stuff, and if you ask me, it might even be better than the stuff they release under their own name. That said, I've only heard stuff from "Skylarking" and beyond, so maybe I'd change my mind if I heard their earlier work. Regardless, this shit is really good.

7    Revolver    15

This was me listening to the second Revolver album, "Cold Water Flat." I have always liked Revolver, ever since seeing the video for their song "Venice" on 120 Minutes when I was in high school, but I never checked them out beyond "Baby's Angry," which was an American LP compiling their first three British EPs. They apparently didn't want to be regarded as a shoegazer band, and I understand that if for no other reason than that "shoegaze" is the worst name for a genre ever, but I can definitely see some resemblances. Anyway, I stumbled onto a download link for their second LP and decided to check it out. It's less heavy and more poppy, but they still had plenty of catchy tunes on it, so I liked it, but it's definitely not as good as their first LP. I doubt I'll be listening to it all that much in the future, but it'll be nice to put on every once in a while.

8    The Suicide File    14

Their album "Some Mistakes You Never Stop Paying For." Or, rather, most of it, because I got bored before I got through all 18 songs. Suicide File were part of that big hardcore revival movement that came to prominence in 2000. They were part of the first wave of bands on Bridge 9 records, along with American Nightmare, whom I love. Suicide File's lyrics are just as good as American Nightmare's, but musically, they're not quite on that level, and therefore their sound wore thin with me quickly. I tend to be like that with any pretty straightforward hardcore band, though.

8    Sense Field    14

Found a copy of their unreleased fourth album, the one that was recorded for a major label and scrapped. It was good, but I didn't have my mind on it enough to really form a concrete impression. It will require more listenings.

10    Limbeck    12

Melodic emo/alt-rock sort of hybrid. The album's called "Hi, Everything's Great," which I liked as a title. This is another one that was catchy and good enough to enjoy while it was on, but didn't leave me with too much of an impression. I will probably listen to it more, too.

10    Buffalo Tom    12

When we were talking a lot about "Let Me Come Over," I listened to "Birdbrain" because it's the Buffalo Tom album that's on my computer. It was awesome as usual, but I really need to get "Let Me Come Over" onto my computer/ipod. "Sleepy Eyed" too, for that matter.

10    The Constantines    12

"Shine A Light" is a catchy, enjoyable album that I don't play often enough.

10     the repos    12

This was a random hardcore record I downloaded a long time ago and never listened to. Turns out it's pretty bad. Mental note: delete these mp3s.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Machinefabriek and 9 other artists
Jump to: