Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 01:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657807 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 73 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: First Day of School!  (Read 36243 times)
hannah

« Reply #125 on: Apr 16, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »

Hey, how am I supposed to fulfill my "world" cinema requirement when I don't want to take the particular "world" cinema classes that are being offered?
milesofsparks

« Reply #126 on: Apr 16, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

independent study!

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
hannah

« Reply #127 on: Apr 16, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »

Oo, I definitely like that idea better than having to take a shitty class.
Bernard

« Reply #128 on: Apr 16, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »

What are your options? Why are they shitty?

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
alex

« Reply #129 on: Apr 16, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »

My understanding was that there was only in one "option" of a shitty class. Either way, hope it works out, hannah! (edit: but my understanding was clearly based on an inability to read)

So I pitched in for another lecturer today and did two tutorials in Dutch for the first time. It went alright, I suppose; I probably intervened a little less in the discussions than I usually would, but at least I managed to follow them alright, and I did manage to somewhat fluently talk about Baudelaire (and, more so, about Marshall Berman on Baudelaire), so I guess that's a plus. Also a plus: doing the same sessions in English tomorrow is going to be a piece o' cake.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2009, 03:50:25 PM by alex » Logged
hannah

« Reply #130 on: Apr 16, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »

What are your options? Why are they shitty?

There are three classes being offered in the fall, none in the spring. Two of the fall classes conflict with Russian, so they're out. The third is being taught by someone whom I do not wish to take a class with, to put it mildly.
Bernard

« Reply #131 on: Apr 16, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

Ah yes, that sort of 'shitty'. I'm well familiar with it. I thought for a moment there was some particular cinema you had it in for and was curious.

ellaguru

« Reply #132 on: Apr 17, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »

Well, my backup plan of "actually learn my field while nobody's hiring anyways" just got a boost, as the University of Toronto has decided they're willing to cover full tuition for a Masters degree at their Information school. This is the level of funding I was expecting, as my résumé says that I am pretty awesome at being a grad student, but it was pretty important to make the plan doable. I still don't really want to go (I have spent enough time in grad school to last me, I tells ya), but it currently seems like the best way to plan to deal with unemployment and a quirky CV in a likely long and deep recession.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Ignatius

« Reply #133 on: Apr 18, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »

good news! make the most of it...
hannah

« Reply #134 on: Apr 18, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »

Ah yes, that sort of 'shitty'. I'm well familiar with it. I thought for a moment there was some particular cinema you had it in for and was curious.

Well, if you're asking, here's my ranking by country, past ~25 years:

1. Taiwanese
2. Iranian
3. Senegalese
4. Portuguese
5. German
6. Romanian
7. Czech
8. Russian
9. American
203. Italian

Just kidding, sort of.

I figured out a solution to my conundrum, for those concerned. I will take the third course, but it'll be a sort of independent study; the guy who teaches it should be barred from leading seminars and delivering lectures, but is remarkably good one-on-one.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #135 on: Apr 18, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »

But dude, Dario Argento!

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Bernard

« Reply #136 on: Apr 18, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »

HA! That's understandable. What Senegalese films have you seen? I'm completely unfamiliar with them. I don't know much about Romanian or Czech either. Post some suggestions, por favor (that is SPANISH).

ellaguru, dude, if somebody is going to pay for your life, I recommend saying yes.

davy

« Reply #137 on: Jul 07, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »

Can I just say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I just had to drop the class I was looking forward to the most (History of Libraries) in order to add a class that I really ought to take, even though it's going to be boring (Public Libraries).

God damn it. This is like a straw that is capable of breaking the back of a camel.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009, 07:20:21 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Bernard

« Reply #138 on: Jul 07, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »

Boo to boring. What does each class cover? It's hard to tell from the course title alone why one is so great and the other so dull. I start my first Mandarin class on Thursday. Mixed reports from the in-laws who are also taking it. Sister-in-law, who is Chinese and speaks a little, says it's tough but good. Brother-in-law who is English and speaks about three words of Hokkien says it's murderous and incomprehensible. Exciting!

G.C.R

« Reply #139 on: Jul 08, 2009, 03:14:54 AM »

Dang, History of Libraries does sound like it would be interesting.
My film lecturer next term for Film Criticism is a friend of mine, not a super close one, but the type of friend where I will go to his parties and stuff. I think this is going to be weird, though it probably will motivate me to work really hard, because I will feel ashamed if I do crappily in his class.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
hannah

« Reply #140 on: Aug 27, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

I am exhausted. But my class schedule is finally figured out, and it is awesome.

Third-Year Russian
Genre Theory
History of the American Working Class
Film Production Colloquium
Archival Film (screening series)

A lot of work, plus my 42 students, plus PhD applications, plus MA exams in January, but Jacob's moving to Chicago soon so I'll have nothing better to do...
elpollodiablo

« Reply #141 on: Aug 27, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »

I miss school.

think 'on the road.'
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #142 on: Aug 27, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »

I am ready to die after one week because it feels every corner of my body has been stretched in awful directions, but all of my classes are fucking awesome:

- Gender and Sexuality in Literature (Foucault, Leaves of Grass and ejaculation, huge part of the class dedicated to observing why The Awakening is bullshit, Iceberg Slim.)
- Modern Chinese History (where we view this modern history through the lens of old, epic Chinese novels.)
- Contemporary Art History (Always been interested, never studied.)
- Survey of Jazz (for some, a freshman filler class. For me, pure, consolidated joy.)

hannah

« Reply #143 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:20:38 PM »

I miss school.

Are you considering applying this year?
silentsigh89

« Reply #144 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »

I'm back at school and settled in, but classes don't start until Tuesday. Classes I'm most excited for? Medical Ethics and Archaeology of Language.

Most Nervous? Russian Literature. In Russian. This class will kill me.
hannah

« Reply #145 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »

Что ты будешь читать?
silentsigh89

« Reply #146 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »

Я думаю что мы будем читать Пушкина и Толстой, но я не знаю-- у меня нет книг.

Also, I get self conscious because the class is at John's Hopkins and I feel looked-down upon.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #147 on: Aug 27, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »

I miss school.

Are you considering applying this year?

I still really want to. I need to take the GRE again before October.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #148 on: Aug 31, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »

I kind of like the first day of school. The nervous energy, the confused freshmen.

also I will finally fulfill a lifelong dream this semester by beginning a class by playing Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire." well, really it'll have to wait until Wednesday because today is just go-over-syllabus*-and-say-hi day, but I'm still psyched.

* which now exist, as of 9:25 am. class at 10 and I'm not sure where the building is yet, but I have over a half hour to figure that out.
Ignatius

« Reply #149 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »

I think we did that in 8th grade social studies with annotated lyrics sheets for all. That was probably around the middle of the class, and not the beginning, however.

It turns out I don't have any classes on the first day of school. On the second (and fourth) day of school, I have a block starting at 10:15 and running unbroken until 5:30. Didn't plan it, it might suck, but going to class for seven hours with plenty of ten minute breaks isn't exactly torture. I'll need one of those fancy thermoses and a healthy snack.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: First Day of School!
Jump to: