Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 06:59:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658208 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 55 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: First Day of School!  (Read 41633 times)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #150 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »

you know all those people who hand out free sample products all over campuses? on the way to my first class--where nobody knew who was elected president in 1968, which means Billy Joel's Red China and Bernie Goetz references are unlikely to connect, alas--I stupidly accepted this Death Adder Venom Energy and Fruit Punch drink without really thinking, and as a result, the students must think I'm either a speed freak or reeeeaaaaally enthused about this big intro course.

also why do I do lame things like talk out loud to myself: "hmm, the lights aren't on. should we turn the lights on? I guess it's not like we're at a goth show--" and that's the point where my internal monologue kicks in: "dude what the fuck are you even saying?" and I just trickle off into mumbling to myself.
hannah

« Reply #151 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »

Last semester a student asked me, "What happened in the sixties?" I replied, "Woodstock." He wrote that down.
Ignatius

« Reply #152 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »

I think students generally take any deviation from straightforward, routine professor-behavior as a good sign, and nothing more on the first day. Other than those surreptitiously texting their friends 'lol old guy must b sippin nrg juice hes so jazzed.'

You should run a cold war class so you can play Leningrad, Stormfront's superior history lesson.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #153 on: Aug 31, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »

hell, maybe just a seminar on Storm Front, with essays like "Chart the emotional geography of 'Downeaster Alexa.' Just what the fuck is it about Montauk, anyway?"
Ignatius

« Reply #154 on: Aug 31, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »

What does it say about BJ that the song he wrote ostensibly to honor his newborn daughter is in fact an account of the plight of the Long Island fisherman? To bring it back to that eighth grade social studies class: we had to give brief presentations on our grandparents' jobs, and I recounted 'Downeaster Alexa' nearly word for word. I was kind of a prick, but the teacher ate it up while my best friend and fellow Billy Joel afficionado nearly came to tears in the back of the room from held-back amazement. I don't remember now whether I ultimately told the truth or not.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #155 on: Aug 31, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »

hell, maybe just a seminar on Storm Front, with essays like "Chart the emotional geography of 'Downeaster Alexa.' Just what the fuck is it about Montauk, anyway?"

I will attend your course, sir.  Where do I register?

Compendious as hell
G.C.R

« Reply #156 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »

Is there a bragging corner? 91% on the Richard the Third test I took when I had the flu! Its only worth ten or fifteen percent of the over all grade, but yes I OWN DICK THREE

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ignatius

« Reply #157 on: Sep 01, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »

Dick 3 himself will be in shortly to contest.
Greg Nog

« Reply #158 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »

I would like to see Dick 3 doing a rendition of "My Humps".
davy

« Reply #159 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »

I think students generally take any deviation from straightforward, routine professor-behavior as a good sign, and nothing more on the first day.

This is so, so true.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
silentsigh89

« Reply #160 on: Sep 03, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »

oh, God. Russian literature is a NIGHTMARE. I am one of two non-native speakers, and the other one spent all summer doing an intensive language program in Russia. I am so far out of my depths. My professor asked me to describe what, in my opinion, were some of the most important themes in Russian literature. It took me about three minutes to figure out the question, on the first hand, and then I realized that I don't know these kinds of nouns off the top of my head and was far too flustered to figure them out. My eventual, stuttered response was:

"Happy? Sad? To love?"

It's going to be a very, very, very long semester.
Greg Nog

« Reply #161 on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »

That's not only a phenomenal story, but I think "Happy?  Sad?  To Love?" should definitely be the title of the next books thread.
hannah

« Reply #162 on: Sep 21, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »

I AM THINKING OF EACH DAY TAKING A PHOTOGRAPH OF MY EVER-INCREASING PATCH OF WHITE HAIRS.
ellaguru

« Reply #163 on: Sep 21, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »

Prematurely grey chicks are hot.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
diesel_powered

« Reply #164 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:30:51 PM »

you know all those people who hand out free sample products all over campuses? on the way to my first class--where nobody knew who was elected president in 1968, which means Billy Joel's Red China and Bernie Goetz references are unlikely to connect, alas--I stupidly accepted this Death Adder Venom Energy and Fruit Punch drink without really thinking, and as a result, the students must think I'm either a speed freak or reeeeaaaaally enthused about this big intro course.

Last semester, the students got really weirded out by the volume of coffee I'd drink during class. Aside from the fact that I needed something to keep my mouth wet, I could really only handle desk crits and the constant whining while speeding a little.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
diesel_powered

« Reply #165 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »

Also, now I have "We Didn't Start The Fire" stuck in my head. Thanks.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
G.C.R

« Reply #166 on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »

Last semester, the students got really weirded out by the volume of coffee I'd drink during class. Aside from the fact that I needed something to keep my mouth wet, I could really only handle desk crits and the constant whining while speeding a little.

I almost fell over in tutorial yesterday because I had such bad coffee shakes. Also, the only free stuff i got handed this year was a little teeny carry bag, with a teeny tiny book about safe sex, and some condoms in. I wish we got given energy drinks.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
andronicus

« Reply #167 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

Seconded.
davy

« Reply #168 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »

Particularly this one:

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Wally

« Reply #169 on: Oct 15, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »

I'm coming to the end of my third week in the final year of my degree, and right now finding it exceedingly difficult to get excited about what I'm studying. In theory, with two modules around migration, identity and citizenship issues, as well as a dissertation on alternative education this year should be when I'm most up for it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to balance the amount of time the theory of academic work takes away from the practice of other areas of my life. It'd be incredibly foolish of me to throw the towel in now, but it'd be pretty sad if I continued out of some sense that I should just finish what I started for the sake of it. Instead I'm desperately hoping to hit upon some sort of inspiration or encouragment over the next couple of weeks reading that this is  a valid use of my time and efforts.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
ellaguru

« Reply #170 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »

I'm feeling a little guilty (but mostly good, I guess) about our class debate assignment thingy tonight. I intentionally picked the obviously wrong side of an argument the prof cares about, because that's more fun. But how the debates work in this course is there's a class vote on the issue at the beginning, then the debate, and then a class vote at the end. So the first vote went, much as I expected it would, 16-0 against me). But at that point, ya know, I actually have to play (and by "I" here I really mean "we", but by "we" I mostly mean "I"). And that's the bit I feel a little guilty about, because it turns out that after 5 years of philosophy grad school you can pretty much beat up on any argument (that's what they put Socrates to death for, after all), so these poor first year MI students, who had the truth + public opinion + the support of all the readings and lectures, had to lose a debate they should have won. On the other hand, in terms of an exercise for me, it was kinda fun.

The topic was "We live in a surveillance society". The prof actually has this interesting project they are working on that will allow people to determine whether or not their email is being intercepted by the NSA based on packet routes and intelligence about likely locations of NSA listening posts (unconfirmed by the NSA, of course). So that's what we've been hearing about.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Good Intentions

« Reply #171 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »

And that's the bit I feel a little guilty about, because it turns out that after 5 years of philosophy grad school you can pretty much beat up on any argument (that's what they put Socrates to death for, after all)
You're not joking. You might be glad to hear that in the antipodes this (Doing philosophy can be very annoying! They killed Socrates for asking questions like this!) is also a taken as a truism.
Bernard

« Reply #172 on: Nov 13, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »

Of course, there's a difference between arguing well, or indeed actually putting forth an argument at all, and actually persuading anybody of anything. See also: the internet.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Good Intentions

« Reply #173 on: Nov 13, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »

A handy starting position is that any positive claim is false. This includes the claim that all positive claims are false. And Popper gave us another neat trick: if you can't find somethimg wrong with a positive claim, it probably doesn't mean anything.
Maaik

« Reply #174 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »

Seconded.
Particularly this one:

I need anne the man lessons
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: First Day of School!
Jump to: