Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 03:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
Print
Author Topic: First Day of School!  (Read 38920 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #500 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »

single highest achievement of imaginative fiction in the 19th century.

Shit dude, even Dracula runs train on Frankenstein, and does so with much humbler aspirations. IMO
I don't know how the rocker industry is supposed to survive with all your people going the fuck off of it.
fishjim

« Reply #501 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »

I guess I'm saying that there is more than one dimension of goodness a piece of writing can aim for, and that you're all staring yourself blind at one of them - quality of prose. You're missing out on entire domains of aesthetic goodness.

QFT

Though I reserve the right to say Frankenstein is unreadable. A lot of people feel that way about Shelley the poet -- the archetype of flowery swains -- and I totally see why, but for me he's like chocolate.

You know what would be cool? A Frankenstein-like experiment to hook up Mary Shelley's narrative imagination with Percy Shelley's lyric imagination. That would be a monster.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
edison

« Reply #502 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:16:13 AM »

Meeting, regarding me being a tutor
Head of School: Basically, we've decided we want you to tutor for us. So this is sort of lilke a job interview, but...
Head of department, who incidentally is a totally hot lady wearing knee-high silver doc boots: is it? I thought this was a bidding competition between the Film department and Media studies to see who would get her.
Head of school: Who wins you will be decided by an interdepartmental poker game.

Awesome! (you being a tutor and the exchange above)
alistarr*

« Reply #503 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:28:28 AM »

If only the last 200 years had given us some way to experience the story of Frankenstein without reading a few hundred pages of laboured prose.

(I know, I know, I'm being facetious.)

For what it's worth Frankenstein survived my recent house-moving bookshelf-emptying, where Jane Eyre and Bleak House did not, so there is hope for it yet.
hannah

« Reply #504 on: Feb 08, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

On Monday evening I am taking a Russian translation exam. Two hours, 450-750 words. I am panicking. I need to get a High Pass, which a 75 or above.

Like, I know Russian. I mean, not really. But if you give me a passage that's 450-750 words and I have a dictionary, I'll be able to more or less read it and tell you what it is about. And I've done some translating. But translating takes time—particularly with a language like Russian, which doesn't obey English word order. To translate it into idiomatic English, well, that takes even more time. It is fucking hard. And I don't work well with time pressure. My heart rate goes up. I have trouble concentrating. And I read the same thing over and over again and fail to comprehend any of it.

I am very, very, very worried about this exam. If I get under a 75, I will have to take it again in May. And that means pushing my comprehensive exams back, too, which I was planning to take in May or June.

fuck fuck fuck
elpollodiablo

« Reply #505 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »

I'll be confident for you, hh! You can do it. Two hours is a lot of time, when you think about it--you, specifically, could do a lot more in two hours than you're probably giving yourself credit for. Although I understand the pressure. That's one of the things I'm very much not looking forward to if I go on to the PhD. Though fer fuckssakes should probably at least read one other language grumble grumble

My professor, who also happens to be the chair of my examination committee, embarrassed me really needlessly in seminar today. It was one of those moments you immediately recognize as one you'll be agonizing over later, over and over again. I think this dude has some power/dominance issues. For a while I attributed that to my paranoia, but after talking to some other people and observing him in the classroom I'm not so sure. Buh.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #506 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »

hannah, just keep in mind that departments generally have structural incentives NOT to fail grad students, something rarely so nakedly revealed as in the passing of language exams.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #507 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »

oh also

The lecturer of my Aspects of Contemporary America course wrote this book

have you read this yet, Chet? I did about four years ago, and while it's not terribly fresh in my mind, I recall admiring it, especially her analysis linking the seeming depoliticization of mid-90s post-gangsta rap to the Bill Clinton moment where the utter futility of even bothering to vote for either major (or any minor) party truly sunk in to urban America.
G.C.R

« Reply #508 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

Things were going way to easy finishing this project, so why not have a hand-biting crying panic attack about how to reference correctly, whydontcha

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Good Intentions

« Reply #509 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

The fact that the newest edition of the Chicago Manual of Style recommends double-spacing after a full stop got much the same reaction from me.
fishjim

« Reply #510 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

Things were going way to easy finishing this project, so why not have a hand-biting crying panic attack about how to reference correctly, whydontcha

I have that every time.

hannah

« Reply #511 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

I talked with my therapist about my Russian-related anxieties, and he suggested I not do anything in advance that will stress me out (e.g., take practice exams) and only do things that boost my confidence (e.g., watch Russian-language films). So it looks like I've got a Tarkovsky-loaded weekend ahead of me! Could be worse.
Bernard

« Reply #512 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »

That sounds lovely. Which films?

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
hannah

« Reply #513 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »

I took out Andrei Rublev, Ivan's Childhood, and Solaris from the library. Also Larisa Shepitko's Wings. Between this and the ongoing Bresson retrospective, life is grand.
G.C.R

« Reply #514 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »

OooooOOOH what Bresson you been doing?

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
hannah

« Reply #515 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »

It's Au Hasard Balthazar today—also Pickpocket, but I don't think I can stay for it. Last weekend I saw Four Nights of a Dreamer, the weekend before that Les anges du peche, and the weekend before that Un Femme Douce and The Trial of Joan of Arc. All in 35mm, huge screen, soldout crowds. Pretty awesome. A Man Escaped is one of my favorite films of all time and Bresson one of my favorite filmmakers.
ellaguru

« Reply #516 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

They're doing a Bresson thing here, too.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #517 on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

NYC too, at the Film Forum. I caught L'Argent a few weeks ago. That's a tough one to crack, and I was in a terrible headspace that precluded doing it real justice. Wanted to see more, but my filmgoing aspirations are perpetually foiled by my idiotic schedule.

Case in point: George Kuchar series at Anthology Film Archives this weekend. Sigh.

(I did get The World of George Kuchar 5-disc set through ILL, and I love his camcorder-shot 1980s stuff just as much as the 60s underground films, it turns out. Truly, he has risen into the ranks of my all-time favorites in recent months).
G.C.R

« Reply #518 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

I need to watch more Bresson. I saw Lancelot du lac last year and it reminded me that cinema is basically the best thing of all time ever.

Bernard

« Reply #519 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:59:07 AM »

I wish we could have a teleporter movie party.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
fishjim

« Reply #520 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Even better, a teleporter movie party with an option for commentary voiceover by adf, hannah, and G.C.R.

Just press the Audio button on your teleport remote!

G.C.R

« Reply #521 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »

Sort of like MST3K, but for nerds?

The_Tourist

« Reply #522 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »

isn't that redundant?

we have the money for missiles and fun
fishjim

« Reply #523 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »

I was thinking more like those Criterion commentaries where these (usually) mellifluous critics watch the movie with you and natter on about who was screwing who during the filming, things like that.  Smile

NP: Going back to Frankenstein for a sec, while doing some unrelated searches this AM I came across this graf about Mary Shelley's novel The Last Man. The plot sounds like it could be good, but I don't think I'll have the patience to read it. Can anyone fill me in?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Mary Shelley claimed in the introduction to her novel, The Last Man, that in 1818 she discovered, in the Sibyl's cave near Naples, a collection of prophetic writings painted on leaves by the Cumaean Sibyl. She edited these writings into the current first-person narrative of a man living at the end of the 21st century, which proves to be the end of humanity.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 02:12:01 PM by fishjim » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #524 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

I just barely made it through Jesus Franco's Female Vampire a few weeks ago (downloaded it cause it was Freeleech on Cinemageddon) and it definitely would've benefitted from some a-d-f commentary.

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: First Day of School!
Jump to: