Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 05:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657935 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help Plan Our Honeymoon  (Read 2330 times)
Lucy

« on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »

So, B and I are getting married end of March and we were just gifted some money so we could actually take a honeymoon. Exciting! Anyhow, the current thoughts are Memphis or Charleston, SC.  We're keeping it US unless there is a fabulous deal to be had. We prefer warmish. What do you know about either of these places? Where should we stay? What should we do? Do you know about any deal for these places? Other ideas?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »

One word:  Graceland

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Greg Nog

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »

Why would you go to the filthy South when there are all kinds of beautiful Northern locations to be seen.
girl

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »

Because Northern locations are cold in March.

Everything I know about Memphis I learned from watching Mystery Train. I have been to Nashville and liked it there well enough.

this is a story and you're not in it
Thermofusion

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:07:29 PM »

My dad lives in Charleston so I'm down there a good bit. I imagine Midwesterners would experience an uncomfortable amount of cultural dissonance there, so I'm reluctant to recommend it to you people, honestly. Surprisingly good jazz scene downtown though.

triple paisley minimum
Lucy

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »

What kind of dissonance? Anyhow, I'm more of a northerner than a midwesterner, not that it changes much, but part of the point is to go somewhere different.

Yeah, Greg, the north is a little colder than I necessarily want come end of March/early April. I'm always pining for a little warmth by then, so given the opportunity to have some, I feel like I should seize it!
hannah

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:15:13 PM »

Lucy is from the EAST COAST!

Other than that, I am of no help. I'll think on it.
Lucy

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »

Or I guess we could delay the honeymoon and then go to the Outer Banks. I know I love it down there. Thoughts on delaying vs immediate travel?
hannah

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »

Oo, do that!

I went to the Outer Banks as a wee one. Think of me.
jess

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

If my parents (from CT and Detroit, lived in Los Angeles and Boston as adults) could go to Charleston and love it enough to go back again when they wanted some nearish warm weather travel, I don't think the cognitive dissonance is that bad, at least not when you're talking about a vacation when that sort of experience can actually be fun and make the whole "you are somewhere different!" thing all the more palpable.

As for to delay or not to delay, I think it depends on whether you want your honeymoon to serve as a sort of decompression time after all the hectic-ness of a wedding, and if getting away from it all afterward sounds like a needed and desired break, or if you'd rather go when you're fresh and rested. I've known people who've done it both ways, and really, all of them ended up happy.
Lucy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:25:07 PM »

I'll be traveling with B. Not too worried about being happy or having fun!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »

What kind of dissonance? Anyhow, I'm more of a northerner than a midwesterner, not that it changes much, but part of the point is to go somewhere different.

Yeah, Greg, the north is a little colder than I necessarily want come end of March/early April. I'm always pining for a little warmth by then, so given the opportunity to have some, I feel like I should seize it!

Oh, I guess I could actually be helpful.

FK and I went to Charleston with our mom and our gfs for Thanksgiving '07, and, honestly, old Charleston is tourist-ey enough that there won't be any cultural dissonance.  Yes to Fort Sumter, yes to walking around in old Charleston (which is beautiful and would be totally romantic and I recommend), nooooooo to any of the cheesy Ghost tours.

I recommend staying in Old Charleston so you can walk everywhere and just stay there.  I'm sure the north/south divide Thermo is talking about gets more palpable once you start wandering around in the actual, modern, functioning city.

edit:  xpost what jess said (I swear I used 'palpable' independently).  I'm going to start replying to all WCP threads with "Just email jess"
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009, 10:34:34 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

jess

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »

Yeah, I think if that's an issue, a couple would have more problems ultimately than honeymoon timing.

edit, x-post with blucas--aw, thanks, but leave me out of the tech support thread!
Lucy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »

consulting jess is a regular part of my decision-making ritual. it works out well!
Thermofusion

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »

I think Charleston would probably constitute pure exotica to people from the North or Midwest who haven't spent a lot of time in the South. It's a beautiful city, a very walkable downtown and there's good nightlife. And if you're a Civil War buff, there's that.

Re: the Outer Banks, we always vacationed in the extreme northern section (Duck/Corolla) because it's a lot less commercial than the Nags Head area but still a helluva more easily accessible than Hatteras, Ocracoke, etc.

If you're hell-bent on the Carolina coast, you could always come to Wilmington. Like Charleston it has a Southern Gothic downtown that turns a little sinister at night, lots of bars and we could all run around TPing the houses of One Tree Hill stars.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »

Oh, I guess I could actually be helpful.

FK and I went to Charleston with our mom and our gfs for Thanksgiving '07, and, honestly, old Charleston is tourist-ey enough that there won't be any cultural dissonance.  Yes to Fort Sumter, yes to walking around in old Charleston (which is beautiful and would be totally romantic and I recommend), nooooooo to any of the cheesy Ghost tours.

I recommend staying in Old Charleston so you can walk everywhere and just stay there.  I'm sure the north/south divide Thermo is talking about gets more palpable once you start wondering around in the actual, modern, functioning city.

Charleston is the only city where I still occasionally encounter people saying "The South Will Rise Again" with a straight face.

Blucas the idea of you walking around Charleston kind of cracks me up for some reason.

Are you guys honeymooning immediately after the wedding? Otherwise I'd say come to Charleston a couple of months later when Spoleto is in full swing.

triple paisley minimum
dieblucasdie

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty funny.  With the tour guides and such you can tell they're mentally gauging you to see if you're the kind of Northerner who is going to be amused by the whole Confederate schtick or offended by it. 

Lucy

« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »

we were talking about doing it immediately following (so really, first week of April) but we weren't really planning a honeymoon until about two days ago, so we're open.

Re: the Outer Banks, my family always did Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills. I do love it down there! I can't decide if I'd want to vacation there just us, or go later with friends like we've talked about before.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

Have you looked at Savannah/Tybee Island?  Just a thought, it's awesome that time of year.  I do give a thumbs-up to Charleston, though, FWIW.

Thermofusion

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty funny.  With the tour guides and such you can tell they're mentally gauging you to see if you're the kind of Northerner who is going to be amused by the whole Confederate schtick or offended by it. 

Man just don't call it a schtick 'cause some of those people take it dead serious. At least it's a sorta aristocratic, high-brow form of lingering Lincoln resentment and not the dangerously-close-to-stereotypes white trash variety you'd find thirty or so miles inland.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »

And yeah, Savannah is nice too.

triple paisley minimum
dieblucasdie

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »

Man just don't call it a schtick 'cause some of those people take it dead serious. At least it's a sorta aristocratic, high-brow form of lingering Lincoln resentment and not the dangerously-close-to-stereotypes white trash variety you'd find thirty or so miles inland.

Oh, some people totally take it seriously.  I just meant that w/r/t people working for tips.  I'm sure some Northerners enjoy a reverse-minstrel show of old southern gentility, and some are annoyed by it.  These people have it down to a science figuring out which you are, trust me. 

Thermofusion

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »

I'll agree to that, and yeah the carriage tour jockey guide folk are definitely guilty of this. To a lesser degree, they pull a similar song-and-dance in Wilmington (they roll by my apartment several times per day, so I hear a lot of the faux-southern-aristocrat shtick)

One thing I'll say: if you end up going to Charleston, make sure to strike up a conversation with one of the basket weavers in the market. Some of them aren't very talkative, but some aren't shy at all and what they're doing is a direct last vestige to an ancient art. Some of those women are third and fourth generation sweetgrass basket weavers, direct descendents of the slave trade from West Africa and it's kind of awe-inspiring just to stand there and watch them work with their wizened, calloused old hands. It's what they've done their entire lives, it's what their mothers and grandmothers and great-grandmothers did their entire lives, too. I don't know, it's a very specific thing but it moves me. And, God bless 'em, their dialects are like honey and the baskets themselves last forever (expensive though)

triple paisley minimum
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »

charlest0n is pretty cool and could make for a romantic getaway. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:08:50 AM »

why not go for a dance party at the centre of the earth?

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Help Plan Our Honeymoon
Jump to: