Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658107 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: tell me about mp3 players  (Read 15792 times)
alex

« Reply #50 on: Apr 05, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »

Sure thing. I just somehow assumed that I'd be using those functionalities more than I actually seem to do so now, so all I'm saying is think about how much you're really going to be using it. It wasn't really clear for me from Jeb's posts how much he's really interested in stuff beyond the music playing facility.

Maybe I'm just bitter about the part in the instruction booklet where they explain the Maps functionality by showing how you can look up the closest Starbucks location. What the fuck.

And yeah, I somehow thought the Nano was cheaper than it actually appears to be, my bad. Still, a bit cheaper and quite a bit lighter and smaller.
jebreject

« Reply #51 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »

Well, I am quite a bit interested in all the extra functionality, but I've been planning on getting a G1, so I kinda thought the Touch would then be overkill. However, I've been thinking it over quite a bit, and I'm not entirely sure that I actually need the internet, y'know, all the fucking time (also it's crazy expensive). Just most of it. I'm still finding the storage space of the Classic pretty damn appealing, but we'll see. Miles has me pretty well convinced that this thing has reinvented the wheel, and the 8 gig one is incredibly affordable, the 16 still not out of my price range, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2009, 05:49:11 PM by jebreject » Logged

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milly balgeary

« Reply #52 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »

Hate Apple + Have iPhone = you don't hate Apple that much

nope, i hates em. i think the other stuff they sell is chic garbage. i rationalize the iphone by considering it apple's one awesome tech gadget, in the same way i bet even charles manson has committed one good deed.

jebreject

« Reply #53 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »

I never thought you'd make that comparison yourself. Wow.

milly balgeary

« Reply #54 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »

eh?

jebreject

« Reply #55 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »

You ... and Manson ... oh, nevermind.

milly balgeary

« Reply #56 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »

i still don't get it

dmoz

« Reply #57 on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »

let's pretend you're not rich and your choices are ipod classic, ipod touch, or google phone.

you really like music, so the ipod classic would be the best choice. however, you also really like the internet, so the google phone would be the best choice. but then if you start to think about it, the ipod touch would be the best of both worlds. it's like, not as much music as the ipod classic, and not as much internets as the google phone, but you can still have both things to a reasonable extent.

if you think about the cost alone, it's pretty obvious the ipod classic would be the best choice, since it's a one-time cost of ~$200-250, whereas the touch is ~$250-300, and the google phone is ~$170 plus $50/month until the end of time. and then we see again the touch is right in the middle. of course you could also go the route of getting the classic (most capacity) and the google phone (most internets) and -really- have everything, but you know, that's just silly.

e: or maybe not that silly, since you could get the classic now and be happy at the gym, and get the google phone down the road once you have some money built up again. HMM.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2009, 06:12:01 PM by dmoz » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #58 on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »

If you're going to buy a G1, can't you just get a bigass SD card and listen to tunes on that?

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #59 on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »

Yeah I'm kind of looking for reasons not to get the G1 'cause I really can't afford the monthly on that shit.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #60 on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

Word, that shit is like 70 friggin bones. I'm pretty happy with my street-purchased Centro & iPod touch and $40/mo. bill.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #61 on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »

"let's pretend you're not rich"

you're funny

sassymcassface

« Reply #62 on: Apr 05, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »

I'm going to be the one loser here and say I love my Zune. I've spilled a cup of coffee on it, and other than a slight coffee smell, nothing happened. Whereas the iPod I had lasted maybe 2 weeks. The program takes a bit of getting used to, in terms of adding video. And it's really pink. But it's a tank (except New Year's Eve on leap years apparently).

cake cake cake cake cake cake
jebreject

« Reply #63 on: Apr 05, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »

I've heard nothing but bad things about Zune's software. Hmm.

lastclearchance

« Reply #64 on: Apr 06, 2009, 12:09:10 AM »

I have a classic because I need to have all my music at my fingertips. I have a contour case for it because I am clumsy as hell and drop that shit everywhere. My previous iPod classic lasted years in a contour case before i left it on a train. and the one i bought after i'd saved up for a replacement has lasted fine in the contour case i bought for it.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
diesel_powered

« Reply #65 on: Apr 06, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »

You ... and Manson ... oh, nevermind.

Haven't you asked to join Milly's family at one point?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
jebreject

« Reply #66 on: Apr 06, 2009, 01:00:07 AM »

I have a classic because I need to have all my music at my fingertips. I have a contour case for it because I am clumsy as hell and drop that shit everywhere. My previous iPod classic lasted years in a contour case before i left it on a train. and the one i bought after i'd saved up for a replacement has lasted fine in the contour case i bought for it.

The question at this point is essentially storage vs. nifty features. I too am the type of person who wants (was going to put needs, but I should be honest here) my entire collection at my fingertips at all times. So I have to consider how important that is to me. I'm pretty excited about all the other shit that the Touch does, but is it enough to overcome the worry that I may at one point have some out-of-nowhere desire to listen to Metal Machine Music while I'm at work? The biggest draw seems to be that if I'm ever talking about an artist with someone, I could always just hand them my iPod and tell them, here, listen to this. But then I'm also saddled with having to rely on a piece of machinery with far too many moving parts, one that's not going to be particularly good to take with me while exercising or riding my bike to and from work.

alistarr*

« Reply #67 on: Apr 06, 2009, 03:51:35 AM »

jeb, have you thought about adding "sound quality" to your list of criteria? different mp3 players can be different with regard to how well they reproduce sound.

also, have you thought about buying an mp3 player that's not made by apple? i ask not because i have an  aversion to apple products (which of course i do) but because one of your concerns is affordability, and you might get more for your money from another manufacturer.
Good Intentions

« Reply #68 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:06:48 AM »

The Sony ones have the best sound quality, from what I can gather. When I was seriously considering getting an mp3 player, that was the make I'd have gone for. Instead I got a Nintendo DS, which can be hax0red black and blue. I loves it.
alistarr*

« Reply #69 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »

i think sony stopped making higher capacity mp3 players a little while ago, though - i think they now focus more on the smaller end of the market, with 16GB being about the top end (that's why i got a toshiba, which by the by is also pretty damn good). still, while we're looking at 'em at that kind of capacity anyway with all this talk of ipod touches, it's probably* true that a 16GB sony player would sound better, look nicer and cost less than an 8GB ipod touch.

*i say "probably" not "definitely" because i haven't heard the new sony mp3 players. the previous two generations at that kind of capacity level, however, are both awesome, so i'm confident enough to recommend at least considering it as an option.
Good Intentions

« Reply #70 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:49:31 AM »

Oh yeah, I wasn't interested in the really large capacity stuff. I've been in the IT game long enough to be really jumpy about carrying a running hard drive around on me: I simply don't believe that no harm can come of it. When I started using computers, you needed to park the hard drive head before you switched off the machine, to stop it from destroying the magnetic surface by accident. While sitting on your desk.
ellaguru

« Reply #71 on: Apr 06, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »

I went for capacity, and would again. Mine's a 60 gig and I'll get a bigger one when it dies. But I don't keep the CD portion of my collection on my computer (it's a lot of CDs, and they sound better on CD than they do compressed & played from a computer), so switching stuff in and out can be a pain. And I like being able to play whatever whenever. I tend not to be impressed by gadgetry anyway.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
jess

« Reply #72 on: Apr 06, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

If anyone is considering buying a Touch, I know iPhone upgrades are due out in June or so (probably including a memory increase), so I'd look into or consider waiting to see if there will be a Touch upgrade as well. Either you may be able to get more storage on a new one or else you may be able to get one of the existing ones for less.
girl

« Reply #73 on: Apr 06, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »

The Touch is very shiny, no doubt. What I would do is buy an iPod classic for the capacity and a shuffle for the portability. You could keep your larger iPod and all your music safely in your bag so it's still with you on the bus or at work or whatever and you'd have the sturdy little shuffle for the gym.

this is a story and you're not in it
elpollodiablo

« Reply #74 on: Apr 06, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »

Just buy a fucking harmonica

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: tell me about mp3 players
Jump to: