Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658104 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: "Pick nose." "Success! You now have an open nose.": Video Game Thread  (Read 34615 times)
Ignatius

« Reply #75 on: Mar 24, 2009, 02:52:29 AM »

I bought an hd tv with my tax return money. It just sits there and stares at me, openly challenging my commitment to decent grades...
donblood
« Reply #76 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

I FINALLY got around to finishing Portal the other day, and man, the last quarter of that game is as blowout awesome as advertised.  I can't remember the last time I've had the level of emotional engagement that I did with that game.

I started it on the PC like a year and a half ago and only picked it up again recently on the XBox - in my previous game I'd gotten to the companion cube section and was blown away.  Having to replay it was kind of heartbreakingly hilarious.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:40:09 AM »

I need to finish that... I got to room 17 or something and tried for hours and hours to finish, but couldn't figure it out.

think 'on the road.'
donblood
« Reply #78 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »

I need to finish that... I got to room 17 or something and tried for hours and hours to finish, but couldn't figure it out.

Which one was it?  Lots of turrets and flying-orbs-of-pain in a big room?  That one was a gigantic pain in the ass.

Actually after room 18 or so it gets a bit easier, so if you can get over the hump it's relatively smooth sailing from there to the end.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #79 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »

Yeah, it was exactly that one. Where the button is up on that pedestal facing a gray tile and you have to route an orb toward the door release and then create another portal super fucking quick and jump through it to hit the button.

think 'on the road.'
girl

« Reply #80 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »

Guys, The Pitt! Like Operation Anchorage, you get a radio broadcast, but the signal comes from the very top of the map so this is gonna be a pain to play with the character I wanted to play with since I haven't been anywhere that far north to fast travel to.

this is a story and you're not in it
donblood
« Reply #81 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

Yeah, it was exactly that one. Where the button is up on that pedestal facing a gray tile and you have to route an orb toward the door release and then create another portal super fucking quick and jump through it to hit the button.

Actually A had the insight on that one.  If you hang out in the corner by the button and route the orb to the farthest wall opposite the door, you have a goodly amount of time to portal yourself up there, and both portals you shoot will be very close to you, saving more time.  You also don't have to go all the way through the portal to hit the button.

This is actually where I left off with my first game because I was so goddamn sick of that part.  The rest of that room is really easy by comparison.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2009, 12:05:38 PM by donblood » Logged
alistarr*

« Reply #82 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »

can you do something like a spoiler warning to prevent people from reading that unless they want to? i know pollo isn't the only person here who hasn't finished that game and for some people solving the puzzles themselves is the only point there is to the game.

edit: for the record i'm not one of those people who've not finished it.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2009, 12:01:28 PM by alistarr* » Logged
donblood
« Reply #83 on: Mar 24, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »

Sorry, my fault.  Edited for no spoilz.  Though really it was more of an optimization than a spoiler.  Valid point though, I apologize.
girl

« Reply #84 on: Mar 24, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »

Guys, The Pitt! Like Operation Anchorage, you get a radio broadcast, but the signal comes from the very top of the map so this is gonna be a pain to play with the character I wanted to play with since I haven't been anywhere that far north to fast travel to.

. . . aaaand It's broken. Excellent. There are all these diamonds with exclamation points hovering over things, and then the game just locked up when I tried to get through a gate.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #85 on: Mar 24, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

Bethesda is kind of jank

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #86 on: Mar 24, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »

so i should wait to buy it you're saying

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milly balgeary

« Reply #87 on: Mar 24, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »

Anybody have any Dead Space testimonials?

I just finished the second S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game and I'm casting about for something new. Saw this at Best Buy last week and it looked like it might scare me shitless in a good way.

dead space is a buy. scary.

girl

« Reply #88 on: Mar 24, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »

You can't buy it right now, so yes. They took it offline. It looks like it will be cool, though, when it doesn't freeze at the gate to the town. The stuff up to the gate where it freezes is cool, you know, except for the weird red diamonds with exclamation marks on them.

Also, milly when do we zombies?

Ignatius

« Reply #89 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:22:41 PM »

My school apparently set up some video game rental kiosk in the bookstore, and everyone gets a free try... Anyone know any good fun games that are worthless after the first playthrough/two days' time? I have a PS3, and I understand that the thing has hundreds of titles.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #90 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »

heavenly sword is fun, and then after five hours it is finished and you have won

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
davy

« Reply #91 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:27:27 AM »

I just acquired Dead Space in a particular fashion, but I'm a little apprehensive about starting it. BioShock scared me plenty, and this makes BioShock look like Railroad Tycoon.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #92 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:23:15 AM »

let's do zombies soon

oh yeah buy me a headset you shits

in other news, mass effect is fucking amazing. honestly all i want out of a game is to wander around and explore and talk to people and do side quests and occasionally advance the main plot but only 'cause I've temporarily run out of side quests. when these actions are taking place in an awesome setting, like, say, a post-apocalyptic wasteland or outer space, then i am as happy as can be. plus, it has a lot of personality. the citadel feels like a real place, with real people. it sort of reminds me of fallout and fallout 2 in certain ways. there are definitely some annoying aspects to the gameplay, but so far (and i am not very far) this game is just blowing me away.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
DCDave

« Reply #93 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:25:08 AM »

let's do zombies soon

oh yeah buy me a headset you shits

in other news, mass effect is fucking amazing. honestly all i want out of a game is to wander around and explore and talk to people and do side quests and occasionally advance the main plot but only 'cause I've temporarily run out of side quests. when these actions are taking place in an awesome setting, like, say, a post-apocalyptic wasteland or outer space, then i am as happy as can be. plus, it has a lot of personality. the citadel feels like a real place, with real people. it sort of reminds me of fallout and fallout 2 in certain ways. there are definitely some annoying aspects to the gameplay, but so far (and i am not very far) this game is just blowing me away.

The biggest downside with Mass Effect, I found, is when things become trivial.

But the storyline is STILL awesome.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
girl

« Reply #94 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »

let's do zombies soon

Yes, please!

I'm playing Portal. I'm in room 15 and there's this bit with all these platforms and I can't manage to get the timing right so I don't fall into the water.

alistarr*

« Reply #95 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:44:25 AM »

My school apparently set up some video game rental kiosk in the bookstore, and everyone gets a free try... Anyone know any good fun games that are worthless after the first playthrough/two days' time? I have a PS3, and I understand that the thing has hundreds of titles.

Mirror's Edge - you can play the story in six hours first time round and leave it there if you want to. i have poured many, many hours into this game after that point, but if you've not tried it before i'd say it's a good rental. it makes me sad how few people gave this game a chance because it's really pretty awesome when you get past the initial period of frustration.
alistarr*

« Reply #96 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »

Sorry, my fault.  Edited for no spoilz.  Though really it was more of an optimization than a spoiler.  Valid point though, I apologize.

thanks! you're right it was more of a hint than a real spoiler. i think watching someone else play braid and portal after i'd finished them has just trained me not to say anything about anything, for fear of helping.
alistarr*

« Reply #97 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:57:42 AM »

it has been three days since i played street fighter and i can now think about the theme tune without getting it stuck in my head. i think we are finally making progress here.
Thermofusion

« Reply #98 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:01:35 AM »

That theme song is so terrible, but it's an earworm for sure. I've either warmed up to its kitsch or learned to excuse it.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #99 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »

dead space is a buy. scary.

Started it this morning while E and Finn were at gymnastics class. Holy fucking shit. I exited the program a half-hour ago and I'm still nervous. Great interface--I love the over-the-shoulder perspective, the integrated-hologram display stuff. But yeah, scary.

If Finn so much as catches a glimpse of this while I'm playing it, he'll have nightmares and my name'll be Mud.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2009, 09:43:34 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "Pick nose." "Success! You now have an open nose.": Video Game Thread
Jump to: