Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 02, 2014, 08:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
Author Topic: Breaking - Stock and Broth Both Interchangable With Caulfat (new food thread)  (Read 25754 times)
Ashley

« Reply #475 on: Jun 22, 2009, 09:54:49 PM »

Purple potatos taste like gravel Sad

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
mountmccabe

« Reply #476 on: Jun 22, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »

Red potatoes are very good, though.

You know a pancake?
mountmccabe

« Reply #477 on: Jun 22, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »

Maybe that says something about blue potatoes.

You know a pancake?
Bernard

« Reply #478 on: Jun 22, 2009, 11:11:28 PM »

Purple potatos taste like gravel Sad

Funny, I had them at this one place that used them as the 'soil' in a molecular gastro 'garden patch' -- a salad made to look like a hunk of earth with plants and flowers growing out of it, right down to what I interpreted as a snail trail -- a stripe of what I think was a radish foam. That part kind of grossed me out, to be honest.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
clare

« Reply #479 on: Jun 23, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »

Yeah, isn't that weird about the carrots? Purple potatoes too. They look so interesting, but they don't taste as good.

you know what you were saying about 'heirloom varieties' earlier? purple and red carrots were much more common in days gone by than they are now. Perhaps the fact that they don't taste as good is why we don't eat them so much. I guess carrots now have been bred for sweetness, probably for sweetness when eaten raw in fact, which, as Jess has told us is not the most nutritious way to eat them. I'd be interested to see/eat different coloured carrots, but I don't know if anyone is growing them. I ought to get me to the farmers market one day, or at least to the shop they run... I've had purple potatoes, which were interesting, but i think I made a mistake in trying to mash them, when I should've roasted them - they were too firm for mash. Not quite waxy, but kind of grainy.

Where was your molecular gastro experience Bernard?

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #480 on: Jun 23, 2009, 03:11:18 AM »

Hah, man, industrialized farming sure has fucked biodiversity all to hell.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
alex

« Reply #481 on: Jun 23, 2009, 03:49:53 AM »

I can't believe Jess slagged off yellow carrots here!

I think I'm somewhat immoderately fond of yellow carrots because, back in the day when I ate only like three different kinds of vegetables, they added a bit of variety next to the orange carrots (helped by the fact that I was justified in thinking of them as separate kinds of vegetables, as the orange ones are referred to as "Karotten" and the yellow ones as "Gelbe Rüben" where I come from). They're fairly common in Austria actually, though more commonly sold as part of bundles of "soup vegetables" than as individual vegetables. They are definitely a lot less sweet than orange carrots, but I don't see that as a problem: I wouldn't substitute them for orange carrots, but they add a good, if subtle, note to just about anything carrot-related. Again, the key is to use them not instead, but in combination with orange carrots.

When I mentioned to my mother that they're unavailable here, she started packing me a yellow carrot or two to take back most times I'm home for a visit. So yes, yellow carrots are a good thing!
alex

« Reply #482 on: Jun 23, 2009, 04:00:32 AM »

I'm not kidding about the three kinds of vegetables, by the way; just about any meal I cooked then was a variation on this theme:

carrots
yellow carrots
bell peppers
olive oil
herbs
potatoes or rice or noodles

For variety's sake, I variously used green, red and yellow peppers!
jebreject

« Reply #483 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:40:45 AM »

I take exception to the idea that purple potatoes don't taste as good, or that they are unmashable.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jess

« Reply #484 on: Jun 23, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »

For variety's sake, I variously used green, red and yellow peppers!

So wouldn't that be five kinds of vegetables then? Smile I was intrigued by purple peppers once, but turns out they taste pretty much like the green ones.

As a kid, I pretty much flat out wouldn't eat vegetables at all (or really, most things), so you have young-me beat. And alright, I'll keep an open mind to yellow carrots!
mountmccabe

« Reply #485 on: Jun 23, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »

Red, Yellow and Orange Bell Peppers > Green Bell Peppers.  I don't even buy the latter, even though they're usually the cheapest.

Also now I want to find some yellow and/or other non-orange carrots and make carrot ginger soup.

You know a pancake?
alex

« Reply #486 on: Jun 23, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »

There is no point in talk about this in absolute and generalising terms; you need to take into account the specificities of different contexts if you want to make a meaningful statement on this issue! Let's talk bell peppers-in-particular, not bell peppers-in-general!

(I don't know where orange rank precisely, I've not had them very often. Though the ones that are part green, part orange are fairly awesome)

for stir-fries and the like, and for anything involving a combination with mushrooms: yellow > green, red
for oven-roasted vegetables: green, red > yellow
raw on bread and sandwiches: green > yellow > red

In all cases, though, it is best to use a variety of different colours of bell peppers in combination. Except if we're talking fried mushrooms and peppers on toast, in which case only yellow bell peppers are acceptable.

Other dishes have to be decided on a case-to-case basis, I suppose. If I was absolutely forced to make an overall assessment, I would say yellow > green > red. I generally buy whatever looks freshest, though, except in the periods where there is a huge price difference, in which I'll just get the green ones.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2009, 11:31:49 AM by alex » Logged
mountmccabe

« Reply #487 on: Jun 23, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

I think i like red bell peppers in stir fries because they generally provide a good color contrast.  I guess it depends on what else is included, though.

Also I have not much put raw bell peppers on sandwiches.  This may be one reason I don't like the green peppers.  I think it might behoove me to try them with roast vegetables one of these days.

And I certainly agree that in most cases that a variety of bell peppers is usually the best way to go!

Also I have never had fried mushrooms and peppers on toast.  I am not sure what to think of that.

You know a pancake?
alex

« Reply #488 on: Jun 23, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »

Yeah, you definitely make a good point on the colour contrast issue.

Fried mushrooms on toast (or good fresh bread) are an excellent lunch! And adding a few bell peppers allows me to indulge in the idea that I've been eating some healthy vegetables!
Greg Nog

« Reply #489 on: Jun 23, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »

So as we head toward 21 pages, I've started a new food thread here:
http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,11879.0.html
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Breaking - Stock and Broth Both Interchangable With Caulfat (new food thread)
Jump to: