Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 30, 2014, 08:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Where's the "Any" key? New Tech Support Thread  (Read 35119 times)
ellaguru

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

White space in Firefox, text in IE.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12:02 PM »

ah sweet, I fixed it.  I hadn't opened it up at all in Dreamweaver, just Fireworks, and Dreamweaver is smarter than me and converted the tags to cross-platform scripts for me.  Sweet!

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
The_Tourist

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »

i see the text box in firefox 3.  i also see the butt.

we have the money for missiles and fun
Babar

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

that makes 4/5 or what?

in blucas' attempt to directly or undirectly mention that his girlfriend is in a burlesque group

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:11 AM »

EDIT:  looks like it's fixed now.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:16 AM »

that makes 4/5 or what?

in blucas' attempt to directly or undirectly mention that his girlfriend is in a burlesque group

Nah, I just suck ass at web design. 

donblood
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »

I have no idea why, but I see the list of shows on the left.  Firefox 3, OS X Leopard.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »

I have no idea why, but I see the list of shows on the left.  Firefox 3, OS X Leopard.

Yeah, I fixed it for Firefox.  I had made the .htm file in Fireworks, using an html slice and the <object><embed> tag to embed the textbox (with scrollbar on the left, bitches!) I made in Flash, and when I put it on the site, it worked in IE/Chrome and not Firefox, so I posted here for help.

But then 2 minutes later, I opened it up in Dreamweaver for the first time, and a dialog box came up to the effect of "hey, dumbass, that's an outdated tag, how about I convert it for you?"  Which it did, so now it works in Firefox.

donblood
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »

Hey, Dreamweaver shows its utility!  Nice.

(Fuck me, I always forget to check for further pages in the thread.  That's what happened here.)

On another note (and not to call you out specifically, blucas, because your site looks great):  I hate hate hate flash scrollers.  Is it possible for flash to support mousewheel/gesture scrolling?  If so it seems that nobody bothers to do it.  Grabbing a scroller control and dragging it is, like, so over.
Greg Nog

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »

donblood, that's ridiculous!  Why make something easy to use when you could instead break out THE MOTHERFUCKING FLASH?  Haven't you ever been to a website for a restaurant or an artist?

blucas, don't listen to don; add a three-minute-long unskippable intro to the site instead.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

Yeah, I actually agree with you.  The gf did all the actually layout/design in Illustrator and Photoshop, I was just in charge of making it a website.  Trust me, I would've MUCH rather had something simpler.  I spent forever trying to talk her out of the left-hand-side scrollbar.  The scroll bit doesn't matter too much, though, since the new shows will always be at the top.  There's not much of a reason for anyone other than her to scroll down. 

Daniel

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »

My iMac G5 won't boot up past the grey screen.  On Sunday night system update wanted to install a security upgrade.  It failed.  At the time I didn't think anything of it so I shut down as usual but I think the update broke it.  It hasn't got past the grey screen since then.

So far I've tried booting in safe mode, opening up the back - first 3 out of the 4 diagnostic lights come on, anything significant in that? - and doing the fsck thing in single user mode.  I put in the Tiger disc to try to do an Archive install but it won't take, stays rockin' the circle on the grey.  Is there anything else I should try before I take it to a shop/throw it against a wall?
Daniel

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »

Got it working again.  Didn't wait long enough holding down C.  Let this be a lesson to ... me.
girl

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »

edit: never mind. I have the internet again!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:29:30 PM by girl » Logged

this is a story and you're not in it
The_Tourist

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »

nevermind...it's magically working again.

so gmail worked fine two days ago, but since yesterday the standard version will get to the part where it shows the email address and the loading bar, but get stuck at about 99%.  the basic html version works, but not the version with chat and pretty colors and all that.

it's a new laptop, but i don't think i've installed any updates or anything during the time it stopped working.  i'm using firefox 3 on vista.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:14:53 PM by The_Tourist » Logged

we have the money for missiles and fun
Babar

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2009, 01:22:02 AM »

edit: never mind, i got my groove back.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:23:36 AM by Babar » Logged

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
alistarr*

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »

the last four posts

don't tell me even this thread's losing its usefulness..
girl

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »

the last four posts

don't tell me even this thread's losing its usefulness..

I like to think that this thread is magic. Just posting in it is all that's needed to fix things.

this is a story and you're not in it
clare

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »

In that case... my laptop is old. So old that the letters are wearing off the keys. Can I replace them or is it a total pain in the arse? (it's a 2004 iBook). Apart form the key problem is still pretty sweet - we gave it a bigger brain a while ago, and that seemed to help, but I need newr OS than 10.3.9...

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
alistarr*

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »

i don't know about replacing the keyboard so these are alternative suggestions should replacing the keyboard prove expensive/difficult:

1. if the keys are still fully functional and it's just that you can't see the characters imprinted upon them, you should be able to get a sticker set for a couple of whatever units of currency you use. i'd recommend that over buying new parts for an old laptop. the keys might feel different depending on the stickers but shouldn't get in the way.

2. my laptop's keys started dying last year and i bought an external USB keyboard for when i need to do much typing (better for posture anyway), so that's also an option.
Daniel

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »

Or stop looking at the keyboard.  Which keys are rubbing off?
mixed cats

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »

In that case... my laptop is old. So old that the letters are wearing off the keys. Can I replace them or is it a total pain in the arse? (it's a 2004 iBook). Apart form the key problem is still pretty sweet - we gave it a bigger brain a while ago, and that seemed to help, but I need newr OS than 10.3.9...
iBook keyboards are really easy to replace if you can dig one up! Pop out the tabs across the top of the keyboard, pull it out. Undo some screws underneath the board, and unplug it. Then just plug in the new one, put the screws in, and lay it back down.

My primary computer is a 2004 Powerbook still running 10.3.9.. It hurts.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
auto-da-fey

« Reply #72 on: Jun 03, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »

easy one here probably, but googling isn't helping me: ever since Firefox updated me to the latest version, my page up/down & home/end keys don't work. What I did come up with on Google points to caret navigation, but tweaking that through F7 doesn't help.

any suggestions?
auto-da-fey

« Reply #73 on: Jun 06, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »

not to nag, whine, or imply some sense of entitlement to LPTJ tech support, but does anyone have any suggestions for my above query? I'd definitely appreciate it, because these damn keys work about a third of the time but otherwise refuse, and it's annoying the hell out of me--they're not working in Word either now. I never realized how much I value my PgDn and End keys until they dumped me.
donblood
« Reply #74 on: Jun 06, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »

Hard to say without knowing every single other thing you've done in the time frame.  It's probably not Firefox, though.  The fact that they work sometimes points to mechanical/electrical failure of the keys themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Where's the "Any" key? New Tech Support Thread
Jump to: