Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 02:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 42 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Where's the "Any" key? New Tech Support Thread  (Read 35800 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #150 on: Jul 09, 2009, 05:35:59 PM »

Yeah I wish I knew the answer to that. I do system maintenance really religiously, try to keep my file systems tidy, etc, etc, but the only surefire method for a real speed boost I've found has been a clean install of OS X.

Bleh. I guess I could do that. You can do a clean OSX install without wiping out your data, can't you? I seem to remember going from 10.4 to 10.5 that way. Maybe it will gain me back some hard drive space.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 05:37:33 PM by diesel_powered » Logged

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
girl

« Reply #151 on: Jul 10, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »

Ok, so mom's computer is sort of pissing me off.

I uninstalled all the printer information (uninstalling just the driver left the computer still telling me that the printer wasn't connected). Re-downloaded and re-installed everything with the printer off and unplugged, turned on the printer, plugged it into the USB port and got the "unknown device in USB port" error plus the printer installation couldn't see that the printer was plugged in.

I do not think it's a problem with the driver(s). Is there something that can go wrong with the USB ports? Everything we try to plug in says unknown device. (printer, iPod, memory stick) I don't understand why it's broken!

this is a story and you're not in it
davy

« Reply #152 on: Jul 10, 2009, 11:41:45 PM »

Hey, FF 3.5, nice! Thanks for the tip, dudes.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
diesel_powered

« Reply #153 on: Jul 11, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »

Ok, so mom's computer is sort of pissing me off.

I uninstalled all the printer information (uninstalling just the driver left the computer still telling me that the printer wasn't connected). Re-downloaded and re-installed everything with the printer off and unplugged, turned on the printer, plugged it into the USB port and got the "unknown device in USB port" error plus the printer installation couldn't see that the printer was plugged in.

I do not think it's a problem with the driver(s). Is there something that can go wrong with the USB ports? Everything we try to plug in says unknown device. (printer, iPod, memory stick) I don't understand why it's broken!

Could be a bum USB driver, could be malfunctioning ports. Without being able to see your screen, I couldn't tell you. Trash the computer, buy mom a mac mini.

girl

« Reply #154 on: Jul 11, 2009, 12:22:42 AM »

Maybe I'll go over again tomorrow and try to upload USB softwares.

If that doesn't work, she's ready to buy something new. I've got her looking in the mac mini direction already. (I'm also hinting that it would be nice if I also had a new computer, but I don't think she'll fall for that one.)

this is a story and you're not in it
davy

« Reply #155 on: Jul 11, 2009, 12:49:16 AM »

WOOOOO!

I JUST NOTICED THE NEW FIREFOX HAS A LITTLE "OPEN A NEW TAB" BUTTON! FUCK YEAH!

(I really missed that after I ditched IE.)

alex

« Reply #156 on: Jul 11, 2009, 02:08:39 AM »

All I notice was that the open new tab button was suddenly on the wrong side, and that there was no "undo close tab" button for when you accidentally close a tab you still need, and all that.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't like Firefox without the Tab Mix Plus extension - which I all but forget even exists until a new version of Firefox comes out and I'm suddenly missing all those great features.

Mind you, I just installed a dev version which seems to work just fine. Phew!
davy

« Reply #157 on: Jul 11, 2009, 02:34:40 AM »

I have no idea what you're talking about!

alex

« Reply #158 on: Jul 11, 2009, 03:00:23 AM »

"Tab Mix Plus" is a Firefox add-on which adds some extra functionalities for tabbing browsing -- it's always had the button you speak of, it has an "undo closed tabs" function, it lets you customise absolutely everything about your tabbed browsing preferences, etc. What I was saying is that I am so used to things working that way that, each time Firefox updates (which always comes with a delay until a stable release for the add-on is available) and I suddenly find myself thrown back to the basic broswer without this add-on, I get all cranky. Right now is one of these moments, i.e. new FF version but no stable compatible add-on. But there is an still-under-development version, which I downloaded and seems to be working fine.
davy

« Reply #159 on: Jul 11, 2009, 03:08:19 AM »

I see!

Good Intentions

« Reply #160 on: Jul 11, 2009, 04:19:14 AM »

there was no "undo close tab" button for when you accidentally close a tab you still need
History -> Recently Closed Tabs
alex

« Reply #161 on: Jul 11, 2009, 04:31:40 AM »

That's nice and all, but I don't think you realise how often this happens to me.
Good Intentions

« Reply #162 on: Jul 11, 2009, 04:35:01 AM »

Alt-s, down key, right key.

(Joking aside, at least the functionality is there. All the plug-in would do is make a button for it on the tab bar.)
alex

« Reply #163 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:33:47 AM »

I wasn't trying to say that that button is my main, let alone only, reason for using the add-on, though!
donblood
« Reply #164 on: Jul 11, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

Mac:  shift+command+T to open last closed tab.  Keep pressing it to go back in your closed-tab history.

PC:  shift+ctrl+T does the same thing
Good Intentions

« Reply #165 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »

Cool, I didn't know that.
diesel_powered

« Reply #166 on: Jul 11, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »

Heyyyyy... that's a nifty trick.

Daniel

« Reply #167 on: Jul 16, 2009, 07:12:10 AM »

When I've recently put multiple new albums on my iPod Photo it mixes up the album art among the new tracks.  I fix them up manually on the iPod but when I eject it they mix up again.  It's not that big a deal I guess, because the tags are otherwise correct but it's annoying and I'd like to know what's going on.
alex

« Reply #168 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »

I'd posted this earlier, but then thought the situation changed enough that this was no longer a problem. Turns out I was wrong, so I'll try again:

Disappearing footnotes in Word documents? A bunch of my footnotes suddenly disappeared this afternoon, for no discernible reasons. A few of them still display just fine; the rest still appear as references in the text, in if you move your mouse over the number, the text pop ups in that preview pane, but at the bottom of the page, they're no longer visible, and if I click on one of them, it just takes me to the middle of the last functional footnote instead of the one that I actually clicked. This also means that I have no idea how to edit or delete any of them. If I delete one of those ghost footnotes with the plan of making a new one, I can't -- what happened at first was that a new note was added but it didn't jump to the bottom to let you actually add any text, so you ended up with an empty footnote. When I tried again now, it immediately jumped to that last functional footnote again, and added a footnote inside the footnote, rather than adding a footnote in the main text like I had requested. If I request the "normal view" (I usually write in print view) and click on the "view -> footnotes" thingy to get to the pane compiling all the footnotes in the document, the missing footnotes do not appear at all, as if they didn't exist in the document. This is fucking confusing.
alex

« Reply #169 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »

if you move your mouse over the number, the text pop ups in that preview pane

Okay, it no longer does that either now. (What happened in between was that, while I was doing something in the footnote menu, Word just froze on me. I restarted, got the file from the recovered documents panel, and now the text appears empty as well, on top of not being displayed properly. On the upside, one of the formerly missing footnotes has joined the ranks of the working ones now again.)
alex

« Reply #170 on: Jul 16, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »

I just tried opening the file on my computer at home (Mac instead of Windows, much faster and much much much much more stable; using Office for Mac) and the same problem appears: some footnotes are missing, no way to insert any new ones, nothing. I tried copying and pasting the whole document into a new document, in order to see whether I could then insert new footnotes -- the text pasted alright (though, unsurprisingly, the notes didn't reappear), but when I tried inserting a new footnote, the thing just froze on me (the type where your cursor turns into a nice little colourful wheel and spins and spins and spins and spins). The fact that this happens on an otherwise stable computer worries me far more than it happening on my crap work computer.

All this started happening around the same time that an e-mail with style guidelines came in from the publisher, advising to use footnotes "sparingly". I smell a conspiracy!

Does anyone have any ideas, or will I have to suck up and finally learn how to use LaTeX?
edison

« Reply #171 on: Jul 17, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »

No idea, sorry - that precise problem hasn't happened to me so far, I think, but although Office for Windows seems to be even more terrible, I find that Office freezes fairly regularly on Mac too.

Which is to say: learning how to use LaTeX sounds like a plan! (or did you find a more short-term solution to the problem in the meantime?)
alex

« Reply #172 on: Jul 17, 2009, 03:50:23 AM »

Okay, thanks -- I've only had a copy of Office (rather than OpenOffice, which is a terrible, terrible thing for Macs) for a month or so, during which I haven't used it much, so I hadn't noticed any tendency to freeze before.

No solution so far, no. The lost footnotes aren't really a thing, but the lack of ability to make new ones, well, that sucks.

The irony is that I'd really been quite determined to learn LaTeX before starting this piece, but just didn't get around to it (what scares me more isn't LaTeX itself, but the vision of converting my Endnote files into a LaTeX compatible format, and whether this will work unproblematically, and how). Guess I will in the next few weeks, though.

edit: Problem sort-of-solved by painstakingly copying and pasting sections of text, spaciously avoiding the corrupt footnotes as getting anywhere near them with my cursor caused the thing to crash, into a new document. I just tested and I can even set new footnotes now! Awesome, Microsoft Word, thanks so much! I think I'll refrain from using my freshly recovered footnoting powers for now, though, and just do everything manually.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 05:02:34 AM by alex » Logged
alex

« Reply #173 on: Jul 19, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »

And yet another query!

Can an external hard drive formatted for usage as a Time Machine backup drive for a Mac be used to back up files on a Windows computer? Or will I have to reformat the drive first? If it's the latter, can I do this on my Mac (which would be quicker) or will it have to be done on a Windows computer in order to be able to run there (which would be possible, but less than ideal because the only Windows computers I have access to are very, very, very slow and crappy)?

edited for concision

update: I decided that it answer to the first question was very likely to be "no" and decided to just re-partition the drive. The first partition, which I want to continue using for Time Machine backups, I did in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the other partition, which I hope to use for backing up Windows file, I did in FAT. It should work this way, right? And if it doesn't work immediately, I should at least be able to reformat just the FAT partition on a Windows computer to get it to work, rather than having to erase the whole drive?
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 05:49:43 PM by alex » Logged
Good Intentions

« Reply #174 on: Jul 19, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »

If the hard drive is large enough to do both, you probably should partition it into a Mac partition and a Windows one. You get programmes which can partition a drive without formatting it (Partition Magic was the go-to, back when I last had to do this years ago), but it's a very lengthy process. Miles and miles quicker than formatting and re-installing everything, of course. On Mac you've got iPartition and VolumeWorks which does the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Where's the "Any" key? New Tech Support Thread
Jump to: