Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: "Not the art of scholars but of illiterates." (new movie thread)  (Read 32113 times)
davy

« Reply #50 on: Jul 19, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

Got into a discussion about Moon at a party last night with 2 friends who also want to see it, so the three of us are gonna catch it while it's still at the indie cinema here in town. It'll be the first movie I've seen there.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
mixed cats

« Reply #51 on: Jul 19, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »

I think I'm going to see Moon tonight!

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
davy

« Reply #52 on: Jul 19, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »

I gotta wait til thursday. Sad

Bernard

« Reply #53 on: Jul 19, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »

Saw The Hurt Locker. Cannot recommend it.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #54 on: Jul 19, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »

I really liked it, actually. Jeremy Renner especially.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #55 on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »

It looks absolutely awful.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
lastclearchance

« Reply #56 on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »

Okay so I'm feeling left out of the cinema chat since I haven't gotten around to watching Crisis yet and haven't seen a single Paul Schrader movie (though I did meet him after a screening of Mishima that I missed; he looks kinda like the bespectacled dude from Sparks). So let me take this opportunity to invite all NYC folks to join me and adf (Mk. 2) at Anthology Film Archives on Wednesday for Robert Kramer's Route 1/USA. It is long but will probably be great (and let's be honest, longer movies are always better in the theater and with other people). I doubt there will be any takers (unless Andrew or Hannah develops teleportation) but I'd love to have you along and I'm sure adf would too.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
girl

« Reply #57 on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »

That sounds fun, but I can't be there by 7:00. Bummer!

this is a story and you're not in it
elpollodiablo

« Reply #58 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »

It looks absolutely awful.

I'm just curious: what about it looks awful to you? I remember being intrigued by the trailer.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #59 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »

We must have seen different trailers then.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
davy

« Reply #60 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »

I just watched Knowing and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It had a few awkward moments, sure, but it was genuinely creepy and exciting and honestly, I wish there were more movies like it. Seems like this sort of flick used to be relatively common (creepy, slow-burning sci-fi...stuff like Close Encounters, etc), but they're too few and far between nowadays.

Right around the time I thought to myself, "Those creepy dudes remind me of Dark City," it finally clicked who Alex Proyas was. Dude's gotta be one of my favorites.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #61 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »

We must have seen different trailers then.

So, what? The war? The fact that there are bombs? Anthony Mackie?

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #62 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »

I just watched Knowing and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It had a few awkward moments, sure, but it was genuinely creepy and exciting and honestly, I wish there were more movies like it. Seems like this sort of flick used to be relatively common (creepy, slow-burning sci-fi...stuff like Close Encounters, etc), but they're too few and far between nowadays.

Right around the time I thought to myself, "Those creepy dudes remind me of Dark City," it finally clicked who Alex Proyas was. Dude's gotta be one of my favorites.

Best part of the movie is when he googles 9/11

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #63 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »

It was a completely rational thing to do! He needed to find out how many people were killed. I'd have done the same thing.

lastclearchance

« Reply #64 on: Jul 19, 2009, 11:31:59 PM »

Best part of the movie is when he googles 9/11

why is this not an animated gif

alistarr*

« Reply #65 on: Jul 20, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »

that new harry potter movie looks pretty shiny but was seriously way too long despite not having very much story. i liked how draco malfoy boy was the same colour as the castle all the way through.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #66 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »

Okay so I'm feeling left out of the cinema chat since I haven't gotten around to watching Crisis yet and haven't seen a single Paul Schrader movie (though I did meet him after a screening of Mishima that I missed; he looks kinda like the bespectacled dude from Sparks). So let me take this opportunity to invite all NYC folks to join me and adf (Mk. 2) at Anthology Film Archives on Wednesday for Robert Kramer's Route 1/USA. It is long but will probably be great (and let's be honest, longer movies are always better in the theater and with other people). I doubt there will be any takers (unless Andrew or Hannah develops teleportation) but I'd love to have you along and I'm sure adf would too.

God, if only. That sounds awesome.

Really, since I have Wednesday off, it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility if I still had a car. But I don't, so it can't happen.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Bernard

« Reply #67 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

I really liked it, actually. Jeremy Renner especially.

Did you see Generation Kill? I've just started watching it and am struck by the types of things that are similar (depictions of homoerotic machismo, the visual style) and the things that are different (it seems to have much less of a statement to make). With the Hurt Locker, I was left thinking, really? You'd rather have your face blown off than have to pick a box of cereal? It seemed to deal so lightly with the non-war world that I didn't feel I had any better sense of the guy than before I saw those parts. I found myself thinking it would have been better if they'd just been implied or left open.

lastclearchance

« Reply #68 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »

(it seems to have much less of a statement to make).

Wow, The Hurt Locker has more of a statement to make than a David Simon project? I have officially lost interest in this movie.

Bernard

« Reply #69 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »

Let me rephrase -- Generation Kill seems to tell the story rather than try to deliver some packet of information. The Hurt Locker starts off with a quote, then (sort of) goes on to illustrate that. Generation Kill seems more complex -- it's not doing any one solitary thing. It seems to talk about war, men's relationships with each other, technology, foreignness, and a bunch of other things without having a single definite point it's trying to push. One is two hours long and the other is six or something, so it's not the most fair comparison, but it's certainly possible to make a war movie that has more complexities, or even one that really drives home it's one point very lucidly.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #70 on: Jul 20, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

For reasons that are unclear even to me, I have yet to see Generation Kill.

Agreed that the epigram that starts Hurt Locker was pretty terrible--for a movie that spends about 0 time with exposition & spoon feeding the audience, that was terribly on the nose. "Here's the thesis for our film." Blurg. I thought it'd be all downhill from there, but I was really surprised at how reserved it was, for the most part. A few scenes rang false, but I liked all the performances. What sets this film apart, in my mind, from all of the other Iraq War films made thus far--and there have been some awful ones: Lions for Lambs, Stop Loss, Redacted, In the Valley of Elah, to name a few--is its general disinterest in politics. It seems almost unconscionable to make an apolitical Iraq film, especially at an historical moment that begs for reflection on our misadventures there, but I thought it was really compelling and actually aided the story. There wasn't any moralizing, and, apart from the epigram, no heavy-handed navel gazing. I liked that Renner's Back Home was so adumbrated, and while it seems you found the last ten minutes or so lacking, I found it a really deft and succinct look at how Renner's character couldn't really square life at home with what he'd known in Iraq. Plus it minimized the screen time of Evangeline Lilly!

And yeah, Renner was great in this film. He's got a great bit role in The Assassination of Jesse James, as well

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #71 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »

Generation Kill doesn't seem to have much of any overt politics either. I felt far more concerned about the tug of war between the competent leaders in the field and the incompetent ones than any sort of political agenda in that one.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #72 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »

So let me take this opportunity to invite all NYC folks to join me and adf (Mk. 2) at Anthology Film Archives on Wednesday for Robert Kramer's Route 1/USA. It is long but will probably be great (and let's be honest, longer movies are always better in the theater and with other people). I doubt there will be any takers (unless Andrew or Hannah develops teleportation) but I'd love to have you along and I'm sure adf would too.

No teleportation just yet, but my brother says he's planning on going. Not sure if you guys will recognize him from my birthday party or what, but maybe he'll be the only other person there, so...
hannah

« Reply #73 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »

Generation Kill doesn't seem to have much of any overt politics either. I felt far more concerned about the tug of war between the competent leaders in the field and the incompetent ones than any sort of political agenda in that one.

I though Generation Kill was def anti-war, or anti Iraq War at the very least -- with the Godfather a Bush proxy -- and an emphasis on soldiers as exploited laborers
auto-da-fey

« Reply #74 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »

So let me take this opportunity to invite all NYC folks to join me and adf (Mk. 2) at Anthology Film Archives on Wednesday for Robert Kramer's Route 1/USA. It is long but will probably be great (and let's be honest, longer movies are always better in the theater and with other people). I doubt there will be any takers (unless Andrew or Hannah develops teleportation) but I'd love to have you along and I'm sure adf would too.

No teleportation just yet, but my brother says he's planning on going. Not sure if you guys will recognize him from my birthday party or what, but maybe he'll be the only other person there, so...

I've met him twice--based on my knowledge of him and myself, I'd say there's a decent chance we'd both recognize one another and quickly but awkwardly avert eye contact and pretend not to have, not because we're dicks but because neither of is rocking the extroversion scene. Maybe I'm wrong, though (or maybe I should drink beforehand and run up and hug him, that would be kind of fun but might ruin the movie a bit).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "Not the art of scholars but of illiterates." (new movie thread)
Jump to: