Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 07:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657939 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: "Not the art of scholars but of illiterates." (new movie thread)  (Read 32203 times)
girl

« Reply #300 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »

Who else is going to Inglourious Basterds tonight?

I was going to, but it was sold out by the time I got there and I didn't feel like waiting for the next show.

this is a story and you're not in it
donblood
« Reply #301 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

Too busy living the dream
Maaik

« Reply #302 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

I have to see The Hurt Locker first

I need anne the man lessons
auto-da-fey

« Reply #303 on: Aug 21, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »

the second I mention WWII, I envision her enthusiasm plummeting, but we'll see.

yeah, this happened. then I think I sold her on it anyway, but we wound up passed out in bed by 6. I just woke up and had this kind of awesomely disoriented moment where it was 7:47 on my phone and I couldn't tell if it was AM or PM.

assuming she wakes up soon too, bet it'll be stay-in-and-watch-movie night; she was actually digging on my new Ray Dennis Steckler box set before, I might pitch that.
milly balgeary

« Reply #304 on: Aug 21, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »

Inglourious Basterds

Man, I loved this. There were boring stretches, then it was interesting, then it was boring again, and there was unforgettable shit like "the bear jew". but it was adventurous, and overall i had a great time, laughing my ass off, and being bored, and being slightly slack-jawed: the best combination for a movie you ask me.
people that don't like this movie are people i don't get.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #305 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »

I wasn't bored for a moment. Morally conflicted at times, but never bored. It's rather shallow. Sort of juvenile revenge fantasy wish fulfillment kind of stuff. But I'd probably watch it again right now. My favorite film of the year thus far, and my favorite Tarantino since Pulp Fiction.

think 'on the road.'
donblood
« Reply #306 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »

I think "morally conflicted" is never what Tarantino is going for.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #307 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

No. It was evident by Chapter 2 that Tarantino doesn't have much to say about WWII or, if he does, he wasn't saying it with this film. It's pure high epic fantasy. The moral conflict, for me, came in the moments where I reflected upon the fact that all of the fun and entertainment of Basterds is built on a frame of the deepest human misery. Nazis are dispatched with as much abandon and lack of consequence as they are by, say, Indiana Jones--albeit with far more gusto. And there are some feeble attempts at humanizing the Germans, though I'm not sure why. The raucous laughter that erupted in the theater while a German officer was being beaten to death with a baseball bat was a little unnerving, but the film has so little regard for human life (Allied or Axis) that you find yourself very quickly complicit. And I was willing.

Apart from the violence, though, I loved loved loved the set pieces, which I'm guessing are the parts at which Milly was bored. The opening scene in the French countryside and the 20 or so minutes spent talking over drinks in the middle of the film were probably my favorites. I came away incredibly entertained, and thinking about nothing much beyond the film itself. Politics and history seemed beside the point, and that's perhaps giving Tarantino too much of a pass.

I may actually organize my thoughts into a coherent post later. If anyone wants to go see this, however, I'd certainly go again.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #308 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »

Also, Christoph Waltz: holy shit give that man a bunch of statuettes right now. Best scenery chewing not done by Daniel Day Lewis this decade.

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #309 on: Aug 22, 2009, 01:03:05 AM »

I was mainly bored with the cinema storyline. but it wasn't a bad kind of bored, is what i mean. like, i LIKE being bored like that, because it means the movie has gone epic on me. i didn't look at it as so much morally questionable (people laughed at the violence here too) but rather like people have had it up to here with nazis, and we all wish this is the way the war had gone. i though eli roth was awesome. but yeah, christopher waltz is awesome.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #310 on: Aug 22, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »

Eli Roth was definitely one of the biggest problems for me. Totally distracting and unconvincing, and not in a good hammy way. I think he just didn't know what he was doing. Novak, too.

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #311 on: Aug 23, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »

i loved him it.

oh man, i was cruising xbox live's netflix and i started watching this asylum film called transmorphers! that's the first asylum movie i've ever actually seen in action! i had to turn it off, but in the five or so minutes during the movie's beginning. good times were had!

elpollodiablo

« Reply #312 on: Aug 23, 2009, 11:05:37 PM »

Man, Funny People is a _fucking mess._

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #313 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:47:04 AM »

Did I tell you guys I didn't much care for Inglorious Basterds? 'Cause I didn't.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #314 on: Aug 24, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »

I saw "Tyson" tonight. That movie kind of blew my mind. I guess it's because I found myself relating to so much about Mike Tyson, as a person, and not so much in the things he's been through but definitely in the way he's reacted to them. At the end of the movie when he was talking about no longer wanting to fight, about how he didn't have that hunger, that anger anymore, it made me realize that, where for a lot of boxers and football players and etc, playing sports is about getting paid to do something you're good at and you enjoy, Mike Tyson was a boxer for the same reason I am a writer--because he couldn't NOT be a boxer. Mike Tyson's entire direction in life was motivated by his anger, his frustration, his lack of connection with the world. It made him do a lot of stupid and downright fucked shit--some of which he, justifiably in my opinion, went to jail for, though I wasn't surprised that he continues to protest his innocence--but it also made him really hungry when he went into the ring, and that's why he was such an intense boxer in his younger years. Motivation-wise, he was doing it because it was his art, in that it was his way of confronting and dealing with the world and his feelings about it. I saw similar things in the way he spoke, the way he'd obviously spent a lot of time striving to be educated and eloquent, teaching himself an elaborate vocabulary (which sometimes sounds strange, as he definitely uses words that aren't in common parlance) to prove that he isn't stupid. I really believed he wasn't, too--but he also reminded me of friends of mine who are brilliant, creative artists but total loose cannons in their personal lives, kids who've been in and out of jail, who've scared me with their drug experiences (and even one friend of mine who has since died from drugs). People that I could understand on a general level, that I could sympathize with, but who made choices that I could never understand, and who could sometimes be scary and dangerous to be around. I could never be Mike Tyson's friend, that's one thing that this movie made clear. Nonetheless, it created in me a respect for him, if not as a person than as a force of nature, as a fascinating and unique human being with important lessons to teach those who come after him. This movie is really just a guy sitting in a chair telling you stories about his life, and for every minute of clips showing past events, there are another five minutes of just his face dominating the screen. But it was far from boring, in fact I was riveted. Everyone with the remotest interest in the way the human mind deals with adversity, and turns it into art, should see this movie. That might sound like an insane assertion, but trust me, once you see it, it will make sense.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
G.C.R

« Reply #315 on: Aug 24, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »

peoples Who PM'd me wanting Little Bits of Light, I posted them today. Its slow post so dont expect them for something ridiculous like 11 to 25 days. I'm assuming that you can all play multi-zone dvds. I made covers but they're just slapped together fast with photocopy collage so they're not super flash or nothing. Let me know if they don't show up or what have you.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #316 on: Aug 24, 2009, 02:44:32 AM »

Thanks Grace!

jm

« Reply #317 on: Aug 24, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »

Man, not much to say about either District 9 or Inglourious Basterds, except that I liked them both very much.

About IB: I thought Eli Roth was surprisingly fun (for the little bit that he actually does anything in the movie), but that might just be the Boston thing.  Christoph Waltz was mind-blowing.  I sorta just wanted nothing more than for this guy to super die from the moment he walked on screen.

Also, I kept thinking Mike Myers in prosthetics was somebody from Harry Potter.  Not sure why.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #318 on: Aug 24, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »

I watched a Thai movie called Chocolate last night.  Here is a review snippet from rottentomatoes.com:

The world may not have needed a Thai-language martial-arts hybrid of Kill Bill and Rain Man, but by God, it's got one now.

Which is dismissive and smug but is from a relatively positive review so

anyway the basic idea of the movie is that this autistic girl with very good physical reflexes learns martial arts by watching a Muy Thai school practice next door to her house and by watching martial arts movies.  For the most part the autism is handled fairly sensitively (except maybe for a breakdancing fight between the girl and another prodigy with severe tics that she begins to emulate) (or I guess as sensitively as it could be given the ridiculous premise of the movie).  Still, bizarre premise aside, like the director's 2 Tony Jaa movies, the plot is basically a device to drive some amazing fight and stunt choreography, and in that sense the movie definitely delivered. 

I watched the movie in part because my brother had mentioned it in a conversation on Saturday night during which he showed me the trailer for another upcoming Thai movie called Raging Phoenix.  This will star the same girl from Chocolate and feature more crazy fighting and stunts and yet will up the ridiculousness factor by throwing in a hip hop element and even more breakdancing fights.

I can't wait.

edit: also Chinese drunken boxing vs. drunken muay thai fight, how could I have forgotten that!
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2009, 10:49:02 AM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Maaik

« Reply #319 on: Aug 24, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »

edit: also Chinese drunken boxing vs. drunken muay thai fight, how could I have forgotten that!

Dude, was that Jet Li?

That movie looks sweet.

I need anne the man lessons
elpollodiablo

« Reply #320 on: Aug 24, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »

So I finished Funny People. Probably the Apatow film I've enjoyed the most, but still: what a fucking mess. Tonally, structurally, aesthetically: an utter clusterfuck.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #321 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »

I'm kinda dying to see Inglorious Basterds, but haven't yet had a chance. I did see Brick again this weekend and loved it as much as the first time around, and then suffered through the first half hour of Ultraviolet, which was even worse than the Resident Evil sequels--thing looked like it was shot inside a Super Nintendo in 1994, and I'm not sure why Milla Jovovich bothered showing up to act, since she was airbrushed into some sort of flesh-and-blood simulacrum about which Jean Beaudrillard might have interesting things to say (well, probably not), but which made for disheartening filmwatching. I'd have toughed out the film anyway -- once she opened the secret "weapon" to discover a holographic version of the kid Nicole Kidman shagged in Birth I thought things had the potential to shift gears from lame-comic-book-movie to apeshit-crazy-cheesefest -- but I doubt I will spend much future time mulling over what might have been in the final hour.
Antero

« Reply #322 on: Aug 25, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

District 9 was pretty excellent.  I loved the slow build.  I will also admit that it made me physically ill in places, which has never happened at a movie before.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
davy

« Reply #323 on: Aug 25, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

I watched that Britpop documentary, Live Forever, last night. Unfortunately, because Hulu doesn't offer closed captioning for all their content, I could only understand about 2 words out of every 5. And less than that for Liam Gallagher. I might not have understood a single word he said throughout the entire film.

I think Damon Albarn got harder questions than the other dudes, and because of that, he came off as a little defensive or whatever. Oh well. Or maybe he just wasn't as forthcoming, and had to be prodded. The other interviewees just seemed to go off on tangents. Jarvis Cocker had some interesting things to say.

In all, I think it pulled a lot of punches, to be honest. How a Britpop documentary could be made in the 21st century and fail to acknowledge that, finally, YES, Blur was the superior band in that stupid "battle" is beyond me. Because they were.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #324 on: Aug 25, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »

Unfortunately, because Hulu doesn't offer closed captioning for all their content, I could only understand about 2 words out of every 5. And less than that for Liam Gallagher. I might not have understood a single word he said throughout the entire film.

Sorry davy, this is making me smile broadly.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "Not the art of scholars but of illiterates." (new movie thread)
Jump to: