Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 07:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657765 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: "epic fail"  (Read 4580 times)
andronicus

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:50 AM »

"Feel free to zone out now and start thinking about gerboas, check back in about 15 minutes to see if I'm saying anything interesting."
Anne the Man

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 05:26:58 AM »

I say fail quite a lot but not epic fail. One of my school friends said 'brb' and I was forced to hit him or yell things, which one I can't remember. I sometimes say 'LOL' aloud but always in a sardonic sense and context.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
SilverMoon

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »

I used to say epic fail, but have since dropped the 'epic' and have taken to just saying FAIL loudly
but not in cinemas
usually just when hanging out with friends
who may be too polite to tell me I sound stupid
Smile

Shadow Hide You
Illest Waffle

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »

You know what's funny, I'd have countered your groan with the "why don't you post about it" meme. The internet is dicey like that.
mixed cats

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »

I occasionally catch myself saying "bee are bee!" out loud and feel embarrassed, but it's usually aimed at the cats and they don't care.

Talking at the movies is annoying to start with, and saying the same unfunny thing over and over is entering "throw shit at this person" territory.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Thermofusion

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »

I know you guys aren't the most representative sample, but are there actually this many people out there peppering their everyday speech with internet slang? How do you afford all the hospital bills?

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »

Seriously. It was like that when I saw Star Trek. And it wasn't even loud, but clear, either. Shit was distorted as hell. That plus $10 popcorn and 45 minutes of commercials pretty much put the last nail in the coffin as far as me attending corporate theaters goes.

The new theater near me is a Bowtie Cinema and they don't do the commercial thing at all. They also have a pretty detailed menu--you can get chicken fingers and sliders and pizza and stuff. All of it's expensive, but it's the movies--everything's expensive at the movies. Also, the volume in the theaters has always been pretty much the perfect level. I guess if you have a Bowtie in your area, give them a shot. Otherwise, though, I agree with you.

EDIT: and thermo, I encounter internet slang being spoken aloud constantly, but that may have more to do with who I hang with than anything representative of the general population. That said, I notice it particularly often coming from teenagers who hang out in the upscale shopping district where I work, so I think it might be becoming a more general thing with teenagers since they've grown up all their lives with the internet and had text messaging since they were 10 or so.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:04:51 AM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
donblood
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

When people at work as how I'm doing I say afk afaik

Ok I don't but if I did it might liven up the workday a little.
sassymcassface

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

My youngest brother is at the age where he thinks internet stupidity should be used in every day conversation, and through constant threats of head-punching, he seems to have stopped thinking that. I don't think that solution would work with anyone else though.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

I occasionally catch myself saying "bee are bee!" out loud and feel embarrassed, but it's usually aimed at the cats and they don't care.

I admit to this as well, except replace "cats" with "roommates who tolerate my occasional stupidity."

Bernard

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »

Seriously. It was like that when I saw Star Trek. And it wasn't even loud, but clear, either. Shit was distorted as hell. That plus $10 popcorn and 45 minutes of commercials pretty much put the last nail in the coffin as far as me attending corporate theaters goes.

The new theater near me is a Bowtie Cinema and they don't do the commercial thing at all. They also have a pretty detailed menu--you can get chicken fingers and sliders and pizza and stuff. All of it's expensive, but it's the movies--everything's expensive at the movies. Also, the volume in the theaters has always been pretty much the perfect level. I guess if you have a Bowtie in your area, give them a shot. Otherwise, though, I agree with you.

Do you know what I learned in school about Edwards Cinemas -- they drop a matte in front of every movie that makes them all the same aspect ratio, and it's not even a proper ratio.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »

Awww man, that sucks.

Well, then again, I've never noticed anything off about the stuff I've seen there, so at the same time, I guess I don't give much of a fuck. I watch a lot of movies on my crappy old TV and it doesn't kill me.

But still, that's lame.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Aglaya

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

Honestly, I'm kind of sad about the way the word epic is bandied about these days.  If someone drops a plate, it seems there is someone quick on hand to say it was epic.  I dunno if it's a general society thing, or if it's maybe the people who are around me, but I feel like epic is no longer a descriptive for things that are actually epic, and it makes me feel sad, like I have to explain that I mean genuinely epic when I do try to use it.
It also makes me feel like an old person complaining about the kids riding their bikes across my lawn, as most of the abusers of the word are the associates of my room mate's young boyfriend.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
diesel_powered

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »

Do you know what I learned in school about Edwards Cinemas -- they drop a matte in front of every movie that makes them all the same aspect ratio, and it's not even a proper ratio.

That is some fucking bullshit. Honestly, with the advent of blu-ray, there's really no reason to go to theaters anymore.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
clare

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »

Honestly, I'm kind of sad about the way the word epic is bandied about these days.  If someone drops a plate, it seems there is someone quick on hand to say it was epic.  I dunno if it's a general society thing, or if it's maybe the people who are around me, but I feel like epic is no longer a descriptive for things that are actually epic, and it makes me feel sad, like I have to explain that I mean genuinely epic when I do try to use it.
It also makes me feel like an old person complaining about the kids riding their bikes across my lawn, as most of the abusers of the word are the associates of my room mate's young boyfriend.

There are many of these words that grate on me, but then "when I was a teenager" there was a different set I guess (actually a particular favourite of ours was 'mundane'. If we didn't like something it was mundane). Adam Hills (Aus comedian) rails against the over-use of the word 'surreal' in one of his stand up bits, though I couldn't find it on his site... if you do look at the site, the 'rocky horror' link is a good one.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
mixed cats

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »

I admit to this as well, except replace "cats" with "roommates who tolerate my occasional stupidity."
It doesn't help that they're like walking lolcats, what with their diabeetus faces.

In other news, we saw Drag Me to Hell today and it was fucking DEAFENING.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Antero

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »

That is some fucking bullshit. Honestly, with the advent of blu-ray, there's really no reason to go to theaters anymore.
Sad

I think the experience of watching a movie in a theater is fundamentally different than watching it on any home theater system, due to the scale, the communal experience, the ritual, and the displacement from one's own territory.  Maybe I've just spent too much time with early-20th-century theorists though.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
clare

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

The fact that you have to pay so much to get in makes me pay attention better too. if I'm watching stuff at home I'm jsut as likely to be sewing/child-wrangling/surfing the internets as watching what's on the screen. But I like the communal-experience of it too, I tend not to go to movies on my own, as it feels kind of weird....

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Thermofusion

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »

Blu-Ray ain't never gonna replicate the raucous majesty of watching D-grade trash at your friendly local midnight movie series

triple paisley minimum
Swimmy

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »

Well, at least I don't hear people saying "uber" anymore.

A Gentile and a tax collector.
SilverMoon

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »

with the advent of blu-ray, there's really no reason to go to theaters anymore.

If you have a giant tv screen, a massive speaker sound system and room in your living room for 500 other viewers, then yea, no point in going to the cinema . .

Seriously there is something really sastisfying in being part of a large audience, I reckon it enhances the viewing, you're all reacting as one  . .

Except for that ass down the front who keeps yelling EPIC at everything . .

Shadow Hide You
Thermofusion

« Reply #46 on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »

Turbo Uber

triple paisley minimum
G.C.R

« Reply #47 on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:47:51 AM »

Last time I went to the cinema was in January, and the man next to me took off his smelly ass shoes and he had smelly ass feet, and spent most of the movie absently picking his toenails.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #48 on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »

"Communal experience" vs. "sometimes I really fucking hate the community."

diesel_powered

« Reply #49 on: Jun 01, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »

Yeah, that's kind of it. "But you don't get the shared experience" ... With 500 people picking their toes and saying "epic fail" every 5 seconds. I'll give Thermo the midnight movie thing, but only because it's a cultural experience that doesn't exist at your local megaplex. And because it has significantly less to do with experiencing what's on the screen represented in the way the creator intended and more to do with being drunk and disorderly.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "epic fail"
Jump to: