Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 2014, 01:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657896 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: "epic fail"  (Read 4676 times)
SilverMoon

« Reply #50 on: Jun 01, 2009, 01:10:12 AM »

being drunk and disorderly at movie theatre is a lot of fun . . 
Very Happy

Shadow Hide You
clare

« Reply #51 on: Jun 01, 2009, 06:07:06 AM »

Yeah, that's kind of it. "But you don't get the shared experience" ... With 500 people picking their toes and saying "epic fail" every 5 seconds. I'll give Thermo the midnight movie thing, but only because it's a cultural experience that doesn't exist at your local megaplex. And because it has significantly less to do with experiencing what's on the screen represented in the way the creator intended and more to do with being drunk and disorderly.

In general, people don't know how the fuck to behave at the cinema these days. And yeah, I'm really old, but it goes back to the "i pay better attention at the movies" argument I put forward earlier. I know lot of people don't. We didn't get a VCR until just before I left home, so most of my formative movie watching was at the cinema, surrounded by people who would actualy tell you to be quiet if you were being a dickhead. Of course, late night screenings were a different story...

being drunk and disorderly at movie theatre is a lot of fun . . 
Very Happy

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #52 on: Jun 01, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »

Do you know what I learned in school about Edwards Cinemas -- they drop a matte in front of every movie that makes them all the same aspect ratio, and it's not even a proper ratio.

That is some fucking bullshit. Honestly, with the advent of blu-ray, there's really no reason to go to theaters anymore.

By the way, I looked this up, and Edwards are a subsidiary of Regal now. So are you saying that Regal do this, or just Edwards, or is it something left over from before Edwards was bought out by Regal, or what?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
diesel_powered

« Reply #53 on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »

See, since one of my career hats is video production, home theater happens to be one of my hobbies. While it took me years to cobble together and isn't exactly Cribs-quality, when you take into account $10 admission (god bless the cheap midwest!), $18 popcorn, 25 minutes of commercials, deafeningly distorted audio, kids who are obviously too young, teenagers loitering, and any number of people who won't STFU only to watch a print that looks like it went across a brillo pad, it competes with the megaplex pretty well. I'll head out to see a blockbuster in IMAX or go to the indie theater, but Star Trek clinched my swearing off chains.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Aglaya

« Reply #54 on: Jun 01, 2009, 01:33:37 PM »

...I tend not to go to movies on my own, as it feels kind of weird....
I love to go to movies by myself.  On a day off, catching a matinee with like 5 other people in the theater is possibly the best form of alone time there is.  You get to see a movie, don't have to pay quite as much, and it is basically guaranteed that no one will bother you in any way.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
edison

« Reply #55 on: Jun 02, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »

...I tend not to go to movies on my own, as it feels kind of weird....
I love to go to movies by myself.  On a day off, catching a matinee with like 5 other people in the theater is possibly the best form of alone time there is.  You get to see a movie, don't have to pay quite as much, and it is basically guaranteed that no one will bother you in any way.

Agreed!

(people being drunk and disorderly in movie theaters, however, make me want to punch myself until I disappear from the face of the earth)
G.C.R

« Reply #56 on: Jun 02, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »

I used to go to movies by myself heaps as a teenager. It was great fun, but I haven't done it for years (excluding sometimes during the festival, which sort of doesn't count.)

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Anne the Man

« Reply #57 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »

I haven't done it a lot, the one time when I did was in the holidays when I was bored and lonely and so I went to see Spiderman 2 and felt even lonelier when I came out. Mostly I don't cos movies are so damn expensive. I did get given free movie vouchers by my friend though, so I may use them for alone movies.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
alexandra

« Reply #58 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »

I love saying brb and epic fail and lol. I find it 100% hilarious. Not in that "oh epic fail is so hilarious" more like, "wtfsausage, this is terrible, ha ha". I love stupid phrases but, I also say "hella" and mean it, so who knows if you should trust me.

this message is now diamonds
ellaguru

« Reply #59 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

I used to go to movies all the time by myself when I was seeing lots of foreign/art faggy films at the Cinematheque. But there were no drunks there, nor overpriced popcorn (nor permitted food of any sort), nor conversation of any sort after the film started. It was heaven, I'll tell you that for free.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #60 on: Jun 02, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »

yeah, at my beloved New Beverly in Los Angeles, weekday crowds had to average at least 60% dudes by themselves, which made going alone the least self-consciousness-raising solo film experience I've ever had. I hate going to new releases solo (last time was Ghost World in 2001, I think, in a fucking mall in Westwood), but I've done a ton of arthouse/repertory by-myself outings, and sometimes I prefer it that way (although I still wish someone--ANYone--would have shared in the splendor of the big-screen Jess Franco double feature I saw in 2006 at the Egyptian, because that was a special moment).
lastclearchance

« Reply #61 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:27:35 AM »

I go to movies by myself all the time, and the only time it's weird is when I'm seeing an afternoon screening of, like, pre-Code rarities and it's me and a bunch of fairly old people by themselves, and I wonder if that is who I will become
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009, 01:38:45 AM by lastclearchance » Logged

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
hannah

« Reply #62 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »

1) it is
2) but that's OK
3) that is, so long as you don't become one of those old dudes at film forum who are always rustling plastic bags and sniffing
lastclearchance

« Reply #63 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »

3) that is, so long as you don't become one of those old dudes at film forum who are always rustling plastic bags and sniffing

haha of course you knew exactly what i was hinting at

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
hannah

« Reply #64 on: Jun 03, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »

have you ever seen cinemania?
G.C.R

« Reply #65 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »

haha of course you knew exactly what i was hinting at

Yes! Good god, and there was that one who farted all through that one Fassbinder film. Man, my friend had to get up and change places, ah, good times

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Daniel

« Reply #66 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »

He needed more binder on his Fass.
Greg Nog

« Reply #67 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

FASSBINDER MORE LIKE FARTSBINDER
donblood
« Reply #68 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

MORE LIKE FARTSBONER

BUTTS
Greg Nog

« Reply #69 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »

LOL I AGREE
hannah

« Reply #70 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

LOL I PEE
Greg Nog

« Reply #71 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

welcome new memebers to a higher caliber of intrenet expereince
hannah

« Reply #72 on: Jun 27, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

The first or second day of my Russian class this summer, the TA dropped her whiteboard marker and a guy shouted, "Fail!" She picked it up, but this time the cap fell. He again shouted, "Fail!"

And indeed he has proven to be very, very irritating.

We read a paragraph about health care in Russia, and then learned some sweet li'l bromides about good health being important. The TA asked, "What are some English equivalents of these phrases? 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'?" The "fail" guy replies, "Well, for Americans health is not the most important thing. Freedom is."
jebreject

« Reply #73 on: Jun 27, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Did you stab him?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Ashley

« Reply #74 on: Jun 27, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »

I especially hate "failsauce" and "awesomesauce".

Fuck.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: "epic fail"
Jump to: