Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 08:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: God, sometimes you just don't come through: Ingmar Bergmania  (Read 1783 times)
Dee

« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »

Man, Scenes from a Marriage reduced me to a fucking wreck when I saw it.
I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Definitely pulls you in.

I've only ever seen the theatrical cut, so I'd love to dig into the miniseries version.
Oh man, I'm thinking back to when I watched it last winter. I kept telling myself I'd go to bed after the episode I was watching and I kept doing that until I watched the entire miniseries in one go. What the hell, I dunno what got into me. I usually don't have that kind of attention span.
Bernard

« Reply #26 on: Jul 02, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »

Ok, watched it last night, and wanted to comment on a few things that seemed odd to me. First of all, there is this weird character, Ulf. He's set up as the clumsy but decent guy who loves Nelly, who is not terribly slick but is big and strong, etc. And yet -- how decent a guy can he be when he keeps pressing his suit despite Nelly telling him repeatedly that she just wants to be friends? He kind of manhandles her a lot in this semi-fatherly spanky way that really gave me the heebie-jeebies, and I didn't detect any receptivity to his advances -- in fact I thought that if we could take a look at Nelly at the age of forty, she'd be all bitter if she'd wound up married to Ulf. She never seemed to be especially naive, actually -- she knew that Jack was not in love with her, not in the movie sense of love. But she still found him intriguing, where steady old Ulf was plain boring. Ulf seemed to feel some kind of entitlement -- I'm the good guy, I should get Nelly. He gets very frustrated at certain points -- why has she not yet caved in?

Jack also didn't especially misrepresent himself -- he was a bit of a shit and admitted it. He's a ratty little guy who has mainly a certain charm and energy going for him, and he works it as best he can, not without a good dose of self-loathing. His relationship with Jenny actually reminded me a lot of Days of Being Wild -- the relationship between Leslie Cheung and his foster mother.

I didn't think Ingeborg was especially rude to people -- she could be short, but that was sort of just her manner -- she could also be quite affectionate. She wasn't rude in the way Jenny was.

I suppose the interesting thing for me, finally, was that there were all these familiar tropes, but none of these people really fulfilled their stereotypes. The loving, long-suffering mother didn't do anything especially dramatic to keep her daughter. The seductive heel didn't lie to anybody about being a heel. The big dumb decent guy never did anything heroic. The innocent young girl wasn't all that innocent and did what she wanted despite the various manipulations and pressures. Strange film!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #27 on: Jul 02, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »

I think that undermining-of-tropes thing was intentional. The whole movie felt to me like it was designed to give you these characters you thought you knew and trick you at every turn with what they actually did. That's why I said the ending seemed like bullshit to me--because after everything we've seen, there's no way we can accept the idea that Nelly went back home and finally fell in love with Ulf and they all lived happily ever after. I'll bet she was gone again within 6 months.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: God, sometimes you just don't come through: Ingmar Bergmania
Jump to: