Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657775 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: general photography disussion  (Read 17264 times)
clare

« Reply #75 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »

Yeah, "once the batteries have cooled down" meant "outside the case". I just out them back in and the bastard is dead. So. New batteries (but they're stupid CR2s so that may take a while) and start the process again. And then figure out who can repair it if it really is busted. The main "specialty camera store" here is run by fuckwits. The other one (which was run by Dutchmen, but was actually good if you could get past their customer service model) finally closed a year or so ago... bugger.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
diesel_powered

« Reply #76 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »

That sucks. On the positive, it might be repairable if you can find the right shop. Old-school camera repair shops are kind of like old-school watch shops. These days, we're trained to toss the item and just buy a new one, but in reality most SLRs can be repaired. You might get really lucky and it could just be a little gummed up and in need of a cleaning.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
diesel_powered

« Reply #77 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

And speaking of lovely old cameras, my AE-1 seems to be functioning perfectly, down to the battery still being good even though I haven't touched it in years. Thanks for the opportunity to reconnect with my old pal, Bernard!

I kind of want to get my mom to mail me all my film developing stuff from her basement and start shooting film again.

clare

« Reply #78 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

Thanks, mate. I'm hoping. I'm going to ring my dad and see if he has any suggestions, as he is the man where photography is concerned in my life.

diesel_powered

« Reply #79 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »

Oh, and can I also say how awesome it is that not only is Kodak still making B&W film, but they just came out with a new and improved formula?

diesel_powered

« Reply #80 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

Okay, somebody cut me off before I accidentally buy a view camera off Ebay.

Bernard

« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »

BUY IT

You guys, I am so stoked about this game. BTW pretty much everybody got a different type of film, as well, I got one each of a bunch of different kinds, so we'll see how they stack up. clare, good luck! I don't know anything about camera repair.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
diesel_powered

« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

I SO WANT TO! But not only is it money I don't have, it's a license to spend even more money I don't have on sheet film and processing. Which costs a fucking fortune. B&W I could probably do myself if I duct taped the basement bathroom door, but I'd have to go to Chicago to get color sheet film processed. But large format is sooooooooooooooo sexy. Someday an 8x10 Deardorff shall be mine. Oh yes. It shall be mine.

Bernard

« Reply #83 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »

Printing/Processing/Potuck at 'powered's. Someday!

diesel_powered

« Reply #84 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »

Seriously! I have a darkroom setup I inherited from my high school and a 24" inkjet, neither of which I can afford to run at the moment, but hey, someday...

clare

« Reply #85 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:27:34 AM »

Thanks B. The bloke has a Pentax somewhere too, so with luck it'll work if mine is buggered. I'm excited about this game...

d_p I really hope your life becomes amenable to buying interesting large-format cameras. My dad has a crazily annoying large collection of film cameras that i don't even know how big it is, or what is in it. i know some he's bought second hand, but some he inherited from his dad. I have no idea which ones or how many....I'd quite like to ask him, but I don't have the attention span for the answer (he's hard work, my dad).

alexandra

« Reply #86 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »

I intended to the film game today but failed. Tomorrow maybe!

this message is now diamonds
Bernard

« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »

No worries, dude, whenever you get to it. It's a game, not a job. I don't want anybody to stress in any way. I am currently doing some supposedly for fun that is more responsibility than I should have taken on right now. Blerg, as they say.

clare

« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »

Final update on the MZ5 is that it's buggered. I put new batteries in and it went "vzhzh" so I took them out again. I talked to my dad who reckons it's probably not worth getting it fixed, as the only places here would probably send it to Sydney and charge $100 to 'look' at it, and he's seen them die like this before. He says he has one that I can borrow, and I've just found the bloke's P-something (though it's not as nice as the MZ5) So at least I have options and the Sigma lens I bought 6 years ago isn't going to waste. I'm in for the game again, though i dont hold high hopes for my skillz.

diesel_powered

« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

Sad Oh well. Time for a nice funeral, I guess.

Bernard

« Reply #90 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »

never mind the skills, here's the bollocks
or something

clare

« Reply #91 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »

I'm not taking any photos of bollocks Bernard, even if they are on the list... (no, I trust you not to)

Sad Oh well. Time for a nice funeral, I guess.

I guess so, though not sure how to do one for a camera...and it seems so weird to have to junk it when it still looks fine... and I still have to get the slide film out...there must be something fun to do with a dead camera body.

diesel_powered

« Reply #92 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »

Hopefully there's a way to release the windup reel. Since it's broken to begin with, I guess you don't really have to worry about manhandling it to get the film out. If you can manage that, it's just a matter of finding the darkest room in the house and winding the film back into the reel. The best tip I've figured out as far as dealing with exposed film in a room without a light gasket is to nab your film at night and make sure to do it with your back to the door. That way your body can block any minor light leaks.

Bernard

« Reply #93 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »

Indeed, it is possible to buy papas secas in a freezer bag in the New York metropolitan area, most specifically at Inca's Foods on Broadway in Passaic, New Jersey, where refugees from troubled Peru have taken to settling. Reportedly eighteen restaurants in Paterson and Passaic serve such typical dishes as a potato-thickened shrimp stew called chupe or aji de gallina (chicken in a sauce of milk, bread crumbs, and pureed red hot chilies, called aji in South Amer¬ica).
I went to one of these places, La Furia Chalaca, at 87 Broadway in Passaic, next door to Inca's Foods. The name means the Mad Woman of Callao, but it was a calm, friendly place with a fairly large number of typical dishes. It wasn't really necessary to leave Manhattan to have this kind of experience, though. Falcon's Peruvian Restaurant (466 Amsterdam Avenue between Sad and 8sd streets), a well-, appointed place only a short walk from the Museum of Natural His¬tory, offered an excellent cod seviche, the dish made of raw fish, citrus juice, chilies, and onions common to most of Spanish America. There was papa a la huancaina, cold boiled potato in a cheese sauce; carapul-cra, bits of pork and papas secas; fish chupe; tripe dishes that probably descend from recipes brought to Peru by black slaves from Africa; and for the gastronomic adventurer, mazamorra morada, a viscous purple gelatin made with dried purple corn.
In Lima I went to some trouble to try the widespread, nonalco¬holic purple drink made from this same corn, called chicha morada, and eventually risked dysentery or God knows what by downing a glass of it from a street vendor stationed at the city's main square, Plaza San Martin. He served his chicha in real glasses, rinsed in a communal bowl of water. Happily, I suffered no ill effects. Although chicha is so popular in Peru that supermarkets sell powdered chicha mix (something I found out only after risking my health by buying it in the street), taking the (very) long view it is not a purely native beverage. Corn originated somewhere in what is now Mexico and migrated southward at some unrecorded moment in history. Peru returned the compliment, however, by sending the original tomatoes and chili (Capsicum) peppers north to Mexico. Today, Mexico gets the credit for tomatoes and chilies in the world at large, having cultivated the versions of them that entered other cuisines after Columbus.

diesel_powered

« Reply #94 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »

Anybody know of an okay cheap (like... $200-ish) wide to super wide zoom lens for an EOS? I've been thinking of trying to pimp my skills to local realtors since the photos I've been seeing around here have been sub-cell phone quality. Admittedly, a nice tilt-shift lens would be ideal, but I can't even begin to afford one right now.

milesofsparks

« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

I'm no lens expert so I can't advise you there, but you can correct for perspective a bit in pshop, no big deal, so don't worry about not having the tilt-shift.

real estate pix is a good idea!  I should do that, too, when I have more time.  I lurve taking architecture pix and that would be excellent practice.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
diesel_powered

« Reply #96 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »

Eh, yeah, it's just one more step, time = money, etc. And those tilt-shift lenses are just plain awesome.

diesel_powered

« Reply #97 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »

I should just do it with a view camera... Very Happy

Bernard

« Reply #98 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:40:52 PM »

That's a great idea. Little stuff like that might not pay your rent (though who knows) but maybe you can make up the cost of a new lens!

Bernard

« Reply #99 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »

What lenses do you have already? Would something like this work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Lens/dp/B000V5K3FG/ref=pd_sim_p_5

(apologies if this is super unhelpful, I know very little about lenses)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: general photography disussion
Jump to: